Author Topic: WATERMELON RIND PICKLES  (Read 5397 times)

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
WATERMELON RIND PICKLES
« on: July 11, 2012, 06:28:51 PM »
Mom passed away a couple of years ago and took her recipe with her :'(  Now, I have a nice thick watermelon rind left over from the melon that my buddy gave me (that he raised in his garden) and a craving for good pickles.

I am wondering if any of you guys might have an old favorite family recipe for them that you might share.  I found this one on the internet and it sounds kind of like what I remember her putting in hers, but I don't know......

http://www.food.com/recipe/watermelon-rind-pickles-39027

If any of you have a good one I'd love to hear it!
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
Re: WATERMELON RIND PICKLES
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 06:39:52 PM »
I never heard of watermelon pickles but they sound pretty good! 
Jontok Bushy Approved    Member#28   
1st Aid/CPR/AED Wilderness 1st Aid Instructor

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 09:34:45 PM »
I'm looking.... ***tossing cookbooks hither dither***

I love those pickles... mmm..   My mother makes them. 

Do you have the Ball Blue Book of Preserving?    They are in there. :)  If not.. hollar and I'll type it out for you.    :)   

WW.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 09:46:33 PM by WoodsWoman »
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 09:38:14 PM »
THANKS WW, I was hoping you'd see this and come to the rescue :banana:

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 09:47:24 PM »
I added to my last post...     Never mind.. found it online.  whew.   I'm always afraid if I type it out I'll do a boo boo and recipes tastes not so good... LOL

Watermelon Rind Pickles
From the Ball Blue Book Guide to Preserving, 100th Anniversary Edition

Yield: About 6 pints

Ingredients:
4 quarts 1-inch cubed watermelon rind (white portion only)
1 cup canning salt
2 gallons water, divided
3 sticks cinnamon
1 tablespoon whole cloves
1 tablespoon whole allspice
? teaspoon mustard seed
7 cups sugar
? cup thinly sliced lemon (about 1 medium)
2 cups vinegar

Cover watermelon rind with salt and 1 gallon water, stirring to dissolve salt. Let stand 12 hours or overnight. Drain; rinse. Cover rind with 1-gallon water in large saucepot. Cook until tender. Drain; set aside. Tie spices in a spice bag. Combine spice bag, sugar, lemon slices and vinegar in a large saucepot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Add rind, summer until rind is transparent. Remove spice bag. Pack hot rind and liquid into hot jars, leaving ?-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Adjust two-piece caps. Process 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner.

Store jars in a cool, dark place and let set for 6-8 weeks before opening. Consume within 8 months.

I"ll ask my mother for hers tomorrow if I catch up with her.  :)

WW.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 09:54:49 PM by WoodsWoman »
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 10:57:53 PM »
Thanks a bunch, WW!  I've actually got a Ball Blue Book and forgot to look in there :P.     I sure would like to hear about your mom's recipe too, though......I never remember my mom's recipe having mustard seed in it, but maybe it did ???

Offline werewolf won

• Water Stone
  • TANSTAAFL
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 07:39:19 AM »
First I'm sorry to hear about your Mom.

I have an older than old cook book at home.  I will check to see if they have a recipe for this.  They have recipes for possum and wood chuck, I?m sure an old time favorite like this must be in there too,
I'll be a story in your head, but that's OK we're all stories in the end.  Just make it a good one!

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 09:50:19 PM »
Wolfy I forgot to ask her.  I'll be with her tomorrow so we'll see if I can remember again.   Sorry about that.  :(

WW.

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 09:51:45 PM »
No rush, WW.......I'm a patient man 8)

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 09:57:08 PM »
Ya but.. is the rind patient?     ;D   

I just went to look at the one jar I have left of mom's pickles... theres lil mustard seeds floating in there.     I do think when you buy the 'pickling spice' all those same ingredients are in there.

When I make a tomato type hotdish I just have to have those pickles with it.  Reminds me of my aunt and uncles when us kids would go play there.  She always made this hotdish and had those pickles with it.   :)

WW.

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 10:03:33 PM »
We already ate the melon......my brother helped a LOT :).      My buddy's giving me a bigger one tomorrow, so I'll have more rind to peel.  I'm still waiting for your mom's recipe though......family recipies are valuable commodities :thumbsup:     

Offline acara

• Water Stone
  • Captain of the Blue Pig
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 05:59:43 AM »
The BBB recipie is the one I use.

The only modification is that I add a couple of grape leaves or an apple peel/rind to crisp them up & keep them crisp (you can use horseradish root, currant leaves, raspberry leaves ... anything to increase the tannic acid). The commercial equivalent would be a teaspoon of alum.

As a matter of personal taste, for a crisping agent, I like the horseradish for my "sour" recipies & apple peel for my "sweet" recipies.
Meet me under the pee-pee-tree

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 09:14:42 AM »
Just a bump to see how the pickles turned out.

Come on Wolfy, tell us the rind of the ancient marinator  8)

Water, water, every where,
And all the boards did shrink;
Water, water, every where,
Nor any drop to drink.
Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 12:55:40 PM »
OH my gosh, Wolfy...     I didnt come back in this thread to post that the recipe above is exactly like my mothers except she doesnt do the lemon.  The ? in front of the mustard seeds in her recipe is a 2.    2 tsp. of mustard seeds.  And she puts green food coloring in with the pickles. 

I'm sorry for forgetting.   **hangs head**

WW.

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 04:13:24 PM »
Like I said, WW, I'm a patient man, but I didn't expect you to test my patience quite this far......what's it been now, 3 months :rolleyes: :rofl:   You did come through in the end, though......THANK YOU  :banana:

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2012, 05:38:23 PM »
***sigh***   I'm guessing there no more rind to pickle by now?     :-[

WW.

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2012, 05:52:55 PM »
***sigh***   I'm guessing there no more rind to pickle by now?     :-[

WW.

No there isn't, but we did get some pickles made anyway :thumbsup:  Bad news is.....they're gone already ???  I can't keep out of those things....they haunt me :spider:

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2012, 11:01:02 PM »
While looking up some old recipes, I came across this one for Watermelon Pickles in the Old Virginia Cookbook published in the 1800s.

After reading this recipe, I gave silent thanks to people like Betty Crocker and Julia Childs for helping to standardize how recipes are written these days.

------------------------------------------------------

Crisp Pickled Watermelon Rind

Peel and remove all the green and pink portions from the rind of a large watermelon. 
Cut the rind into cubes or slices and measure 4 quarts. 
Drop the rind into a kettle of boiling water, boil for 5 minutes, drain and cool.
Dissolve 4 T Slaked lime (obtainable at your drugstore) in 2 quarts cold water Pour the solution over the watermelon rind and let rind stand for 3 hours.
Drain and rinse thoroughly. 
Cover the rind with clear cold water, bring to a boil and boil until the rind is tender.
Combine 2 cups sugar, 1 cup vinegar, and 4 cups water. 
Add 2 T each of whole allspice and whole cloves, 4 sticks cinnamon and 2 pieces of ginger root, all tied in a bag. 
Bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes.
Add the rind and 2 hot peppers, bring again to a boil, and simmer for 30 minutes. 
Let the rind stand in the syrup in a cool place for 12 to 24 hours. 
Add 3 Cups vinegar and 2-4 cups sugar according to taste, bring to a boil and simmer until the rind is transparent. 
If the syrup becomes too thick before the rind is clear, add 1/2 cup hot water from time to time as needed. 
Discard the spice bag, pack the rind and the boiling-hot syrup into hot jars and seal.

Makes 8 Pints.

The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.