Author Topic: Winter Camping: "Sub-Arctic Winter Bivouacking" 1955 US Army Training Film  (Read 3518 times)

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
Hey guys, some of you have probably seen this before, but I just saw it for the first time and thought it's worth posting up.  Lots of what's in here is now what we call "bushcrafting", haha.  I thought the improvised restroom was pretty neat, I hadn't seen that before. 

Anyways...enjoy

Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Things have changed a bit since 1955, I'll bet ;).   Thanks, OE, that was interesting.....mus t be Korean War era vintage camping.

I think I mentioned it here before, but I have one of those stoves, but no plumbing to hook it to the Jerry can.  I don't believe I would, even if I had it, though.....wood doesn't explode as easily! ;D
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
   Thnx much Outdoor Envy...
 :)
Brought back some memories... I think Gurthy might have similar memories, as I think he went thru the same Cold Weather training that I did, but different branch of service. I'm not sure about Gurthys' time doing this..but not that long ago for me, though. Only 30+ years or so ago...
 ;) 

The Cold Weather Training I was in, was prep for the "Northern Wedding Operation" They were exercises/ maneuvers up in the North Sea/North Atlantic area.  Almost 100% exactly the same stuff was used, & the training almost the same also... We prolly used the same equipment they used back in 1955 too, as the USMC usually gets the leftover old stuff from the US Army most of the time. At least that was the way it was back then. US Army "Hand-me-downs" for the Corps. We were taught to "make do with nothing" back then, since it was the best you prolly get...
 ;) .

Heck, even the "cold pole" latrine, the "squad" tent, & Yukon stove are the same types...

Thnx again,O.Envy, for the trip down memory lane, & the nostalgia.
 :D

« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 12:45:35 AM by MnSportsman »
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
That is a neat clip. Very effective fire starters for sure. No doubt those stoves were worshiped back then.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
Thanks OE.  I enjoyed that.
What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline Alaskan Bushman

• Mill File+
Cool old school movie.

Classic narrator voice.

I have actually stumbled across one of those latrines. A couple horizontal poles with a lean-to build around it. It looked pretty old and didn't smell bad.

We sure have come a long ways in our gear, although I liked the use of the machete in the arctic.
I can't agree with there camo, why not white anoraks?

Thanks for the post.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Interesting video.  I was curious what kind of boots they were using and if the parka system was of three pieces. 
I remember a WWII film on the 10Th Mountain Division where they wore white suits in snow maneuvers.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
Very cool classic old movie, reminds me of watching the war movies on Sunday mornings.  My Scout troop had a couple of those octagonal tents for winter camp.  No stoves, but they stayed pretty warm if you piled snow around the outside like they did and got everyone inside.

Thanks for sharing!!

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
I have a tent similar to that but it is round.  It is a great tent but a little heavy and bulky to carry in to places.  Plus the tent stakes are way too heavy.  I use about 11 or 12 2ft pieces of rebar.
Jontok Bushy Approved    Member#28   
1st Aid/CPR/AED Wilderness 1st Aid Instructor

Offline Gurthy

• Water Stone
  • Member #9
    • My Blog: Gurthy's Bushcraft
   Thnx much Outdoor Envy...
 :)
Brought back some memories... I think Gurthy might have similar memories, as I think he went thru the same Cold Weather training that I did, but different branch of service. I'm not sure about Gurthys' time doing this..but not that long ago for me, though. Only 30+ years or so ago...
 ;)     

Yessir, sure does bring back memories! Don't feel too badly about the gear you were using in the Corps because I was still using the same tent, stove, shoes, boots, skis and akio (sled) in the mid 1990's on the Army side :) We did have better rucksacks, clothes and sleeping gear than in the video thankfully.

Thanks for sharing that vid OE, pretty cool to see that stuff again!

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
Glad you guys got a kick out of it.  I was wondering if one of you old timers was going to chime in that you had to watch this while in the service, LOL!
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/