Author Topic: New Kukri Machete and forged Hawk  (Read 5112 times)

Offline shane

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Whetstone +
New Kukri Machete and forged Hawk
« on: March 11, 2013, 09:07:10 PM »
I have been pretty busy making "toys" the past week and have finished one of them, the Hawk, and near finishing the chete.

The Hawk was forged from a 1 1/4 square A36 mild steel with a piece of 5160 welded in the center for the edge. After some sanding and shaping a nice convex edge on it I was ready for action and it did not disappoint! Weighs a tad less than a pound and splits wood very well. I chopped a few pines and sweetgums down in short order and with very little effort. It throws well and I was 5 for 5 on my throws so I quit before my luck ran out  O:-)

Next in the Kukri Machete. I forged this from a bar of 5160 by hand without the power hammer. It was more for the experience of it than being stubborn. Both the handle and blade have a nice distal taper and the blade is set up with a scandi grind for the first few inches then transitions to a nice full convex.  I will shape the tang a bit more to dial in the handle. The 4th hole , the one in front of the tang is for the lanyard.

I carried it along this weekend as well and several of the adults used it to clear out a few saplings in short order. It delimbed the poles for the dutch oven without hardly any effort other than dropping the arm. Also used it to flatten a few fireboards and made some trap triggers using the scandi infront of the ricasso. Thus far I am pleased with it but favor the hawk and a small belt knife however the chete really shined this weekend on clearing of brush and thorns as well as for gathering wood and aiding in constructing the tripod for the dutch oven. Every tool has its place and has merit in the hands of an openminded skilled user.

Making one of a kind tools, one at a time -shane

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
New Kukri Machete and forged Hawk
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 09:37:23 PM »
Those are both sweet looking pieces Shane :thumbsup:
I'm not a big hawk fan, but I like the looks of that design.
Is the poll hardened and what is the length of the haft?
I guess the polls not hardened because of the welded bit, but I thought I'd ask.
I've always thought that there should be more axes and hawks with hardened polls. It just makes since to me to have a hardened poll for a woods bumming tool, but it's just not done that often :shrug:
Don't wait until it's too late to live your dream!

Offline shane

• Whetstone +
Re: New Kukri Machete and forged Hawk
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 09:49:44 PM »
The Poll is case-hardened but I dont really need it hard as I only planed to use it for driving in wood stakes for traps or for anchors. This one was more of a trial run and I made 3 heads but drifted the eye in a fourth. I ordered some 1080 barstock and will be using it instead of the welded A36 head. The poll on it will be hardened and will be around a 56-57 Rc. Using the mono steel will just be better all around and 1080 is tough enough to handle whatever as well as still holding a decent edge for finer task such as skinning.

The length on the handle is 20" as I cut an inch off each end but again on the 1080 heads I will be using a premium curly maple handle as well as the hickory in the pic. Hickory for throwing and the curly for everything else.

Lisa and her husband of wolf creek have really inspired me on the hawks and I enjoy forging them. The more I use them the more they become my favorite tool. Very versatile as well as appealing to the senses. There is a reason they were used for so many years by all who called the frontier their home.

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 10:25:30 PM »
I like the looks of your version of the hawk much better.  I practically gave up on the cold steel paperweight POS I have, but yours looks very promising!!

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 10:40:43 PM »
I like 'hawks (good ones) and that looks like one of 'em! :chopwood: :thumbsup:   About what does the head weigh, Shane?
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline shane

• Whetstone +
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 06:39:24 AM »
Thanks guys! Wolfy the head weighs right at a pound. The head is 6 inches long and the edge is 3 inches wide. I have been looking at some historical survivors online and studying them. Most have a longer poll (hammer head) or a spike and 2 3/4 to 3" edge and in several edge shapes. I was surprised to learn that many people today still use them for skinning moose and elk.

Someone with more knowledge my know why the polls were longer but for me the way the poll is shaped on this one fits my needs without wasting metal or adding too much weight. I am really open to hearing more of how others are using their hawks and why they like the styles they do. Its very rewarding to me forging these heads.

On the 1080 heads I will clay coat the 3/4 of an inch behind the edge all the way back to the start of the poll in an attempt to slow the cooling on the body making it springy and tough while the edge is hard. I did want to hammer ears on the sides of the eye but I need to make a drift I can hammer on  as I did not want to chance messing my drift up.

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 08:53:56 AM »
Those are both looking great!  I really like the Tomahawk.  That thing looks great!
 :)
Jontok Bushy Approved    Member#28   
1st Aid/CPR/AED Wilderness 1st Aid Instructor

Offline Binalith

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 09:46:57 AM »
That looks awesome man.
my two cents:
I really like extended polls, my cold steel pipe hawk would make building/spiking a comparative breeze over other axes and hawks I've had because of the hammer poll, I only wish it had a more a slightly more rounded face like a real hammer (and a better HT, steel, edge, balance etc...), it has a flat face so you have to swing dead on unlike with a real hammer you can kind of 'push' the swing and make contact from a lot of different angles.

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 11:43:54 AM »
Well, I can't say anything more than what's already been said, but I will add to the pile - that's a really cool looking hawk and machete!  I'm not a huge machete fan (or at least, I'm very inexperienced in their use) and I don't own a hawk, but that hawk really does look like it would be worth having!  Nice!
What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline shane

• Whetstone +
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 12:45:38 PM »
Thanks guys. The hawk is my hands down favorite of the two and the one I will attempt to develop more.

Offline RoadLessTraveled

• Whetstone +
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 03:45:24 PM »
How 'bout the size of the hole in the head?  Is that larger than typical for a 1lb head?  I'm wondering if a smaller hole, and consequently a narrower handle would be easier to use.

It's a great pleasure for me to see the work you keep cranking out, bro!  Thanks for sharing it.

Offline shane

• Whetstone +
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 04:20:51 PM »
Nope standard tomahawk eye size. Hatchets differ from hawks in that they do have a slender eye and are heavier, think small axe. The tomahawk, which derives its name from the Algonquin word  tamahaac which means to cut off by tool, existed is several forms though out the world but when the French and British arrived with steel and their versions of a light weight chopping tool whos handle could easily be replaced if broken, the Native people began to trade for them.

The hawk heads commonly weigh between 1 and 1 1/2 pounds.

I have the pics of me forging 4 hawk heads if you want to see them.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 04:29:22 PM by shane »

Offline Barbarossa Bushman

• Water Stone
  • A sense of humor is a good thing
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 05:23:14 PM »
Those look sweet. I really am digging the Khukuri. Glad to see another person see the  advantages of such a great blade. I can't wait to see it with slabs.
"When times get rough and times get hard, the fat get skinny and the skinny die. Good thing you had a little fat on you when you did." An old friend