Author Topic: Yard Sale Find Thread!  (Read 36433 times)

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
Yard Sale Find Thread!
« on: June 29, 2013, 05:56:53 PM »
We had one of these threads elsewhere, IIRC, and our peeps showed pics of some pretty awesome stuff they found at yard and garage sales. (Or "boot" sales for our brothers across the big puddle).

Anybody wanna post pics of your latest finds now that summer's upon us?

Here are my latest snags:

Sawmill blade for making knives and stuff (they had a bigger, thicker one but it was so heavy it'd be almost impossible to move and it was also quite thick, making cutting it into useful pieces very difficult. This one's about 1/8" to 3/16" thick I'd imagine).

2013-06-29%2017.17.55 by Stagdag1, on Flickr

A pile of files, rasps, and a knife for modding. Some of the files are "wedge shaped" and thus are perfect for knifemaking (practically already flat ground).

2013-06-29%2017.18.48 by Stagdag1, on Flickr

Giant pretzel tin for storage or stovemaking (came with a bent-up lid):

2013-06-29%2017.18.55 by Stagdag1, on Flickr

Working hair dryer with high and low settings, perfect for use as a forge blower:

2013-06-29%2017.19.05 by Stagdag1, on Flickr

Giant (probably 14 or 15 inch) carbon steel pan with rolled handle. It was all rusted up and pitted and I removed 90% of the rust just now and it's baking in the oven with some oil in it for seasoning. I couldn't remove the pits, and if I'd sanded them all down the bottom would be far too thin :( But it's still usable methinks!

2013-06-29%2019.13.04 by Stagdag1, on Flickr

Also snagged a nice blue satchel/shoulder bag, a copy of Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged" and a small punch which I am going to use for leather. I'd imagine it's for something similar. It's about 3/8" at the business end.

Cheers :)

PMZ
"Nancy, you're me darlin, I loves ye all to bits! I'll climb up to your chamber, and under your mountainous...."

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
Re: Yard Sale Find Thread!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 06:20:54 PM »
Nice finds!    I'd be painting on that saw blade tho. :)  And I have the same fry pan and about as rusty.. what did you sand it with?  What grit?

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 12:06:55 AM »
I didn't sand it, I just scoured it with hot water and a bit of Kosher salt.

Then I re-seasoned it in the oven.

PMZ
"Nancy, you're me darlin, I loves ye all to bits! I'll climb up to your chamber, and under your mountainous...."

Offline BigHat

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • hobo-crafter
    • BigHat Youtube
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 04:17:53 AM »
nice thread. i'll start playing in this one when i get home. thrift stores/yard sales are one of my favorite past times
"you're doing it wrong!"  -everyone
"Doesn't matter what knife you're good with, if you're good with a knife." -Yeoman

Offline Howling Dingo

• Whetstone +
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 06:07:28 AM »
Nice find..!

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 08:18:49 AM »
Oops, sorry I mis-read that. :)    Did you make breakfast in it this morning? :)

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 12:04:21 PM »
Saturdays are the "go to town, and bum around" day, starting with the farmers market.

First the "soap lady" DW and her are friends,
...second is the chamber of commerce coffee tent (travel mug is empty at this point).
Then stop and get honey, bees wax if needed, maple syrup, fresh veggies.
Potter for a blue and gray ceramic pot for DW

Next is Jay Thurston, friend that writes trout fishing books, and catch up a bit... http://www.trouttip.com/

Then the Amish for baked good, and bread...next the medicine women to see what's new in the magic potion products.
DW like these....so buys a lot....Hope she finds on that works pretty soon.

Had to order a wardrobe to be built to our specs (gift to each other) for The Place.

Talk to the bird house guy, kinda making a deal for some fire wood.....and a face bird house.

Then a wood fired out door oven for a nettle pizza (lunch).....oven is on a trailer and he bakes/cook them to order.

Now it's time to hit flea markets and yard sales....raining so not many open....so, flea market instead (indoor)

Scores this week....no pic's yet..... takes forever to load and post with my portable modem.

Lead ladle .....for processing wheel weights
Several part, old lunch box ...gonna hang on wall.
Wooden egg crate....waste basket holder.
Meat grinder, with a small blade.....have several.

Not too many deals....Dam "American Pickets" are driving prices up....but it's good to seen what the pro's price things at.

I like yard sales and such,... as pricing is to get rid of stuff, not make a bundle......so deal are far and few....but it was raining, so you do what you can.

Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 02:18:52 AM »
Nice scores, Hunter!
Don't you just love the feeling you get when you snag a piece of vintage Americana (that doesn't require electricity, and is in good shape) for a good price? :D

PMZ

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 02:20:18 AM »
WoodsWoman, yes, I actually have cooked in it two or three times already. It fries eggs nicely! The first pass of seasoning I used canola oil or similar in an attempt to really soak the thing in oil. The second and third passes I used old bacon grease (lard). Worked a treat!

PMZ

Offline crashdive123

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 04:37:58 AM »
I enjoy hitting random yard sales.  I never plan to go to one, but if I see one and have the time I'll stop.  I spend more time wandering flea markets than yard sales.

Yard Sale Finds

Dehydrator for $1

Five gallon cooler for $4

Piece of RR track for $5

Battery lanter for $1

This haul was around $30 (one of the propane bottles was nearly full)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 05:43:48 AM »
Looks like you struck the motherlode!  8)
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 07:29:15 AM »
Around here, that stove new is worth better than a c-note.
Well done. 
"Learning: a continuation of the failure process"

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2013, 10:54:45 PM »
LOL, I found one of those old liquid-fuel stoves. Unfortunately, it leaked gas and almost exploded on me :o

PMZ

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2013, 12:24:21 AM »
I got to go garage saling < spell check don't like that word so I'm calling Webster to make it one...  this last weekend. :)  I found an AARP bag that's small and can be worn like a belt bag.  I'm going to transfer my little grenade pouch survival kit into that one.  AND add more goodies. :)

I also found a cookbook called Heritage Southern Cooking.  And a plat book for our county.

Oh..and a Tupperware bowl like my mom has and uses for almost every family gathering. :)

Now.. I need a good saying to go with A A R P... like.. Always Around Real People.  ha ha ha... wolfy?   Got something better and bushcrafty ?

WW.

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2013, 12:52:18 AM »
Angsty and Really Pissed

PMZ

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
Yard Sale Find Thread!
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2013, 09:56:46 AM »
Accomplished and really pleased.

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2013, 09:21:08 AM »
Update: I marked out and submitted my sawmill blade to the local garage to get cut into pieces with a torch.

They seemed a bit skeptical as to whether it would work. "I think it'll go through." Yikes! It's only like 3/16" thick!

He said it would cost around $80. Damn. I should've asked a friend with a torch instead! Unless the gas itself costs that much :(

PMZ

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2013, 09:58:42 AM »
Last Saturday......Yard sale
Scored 4 boxes of CCI 22 lr mini mags, (100rd each)...box of Viper 22 lr (50) and CCI .22 mag (50 rds) for $50 bucks at a yard sale,....sad you have to depend on yard sales, and high prices still.....
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2013, 10:24:56 AM »
I got a 2 burner coleman stove lastweek in real good shape for 11 bux. It works too!

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2013, 11:24:39 AM »
I got a 2 burner coleman stove lastweek in real good shape for 11 bux. It works too!

Creek
I love those old liquid-fuel Colemans.....stoves & lanterns!  Can't beat 'em or wear 'em out! :)

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2013, 08:34:54 PM »

Creek
I love those old liquid-fuel Colemans.....stoves & lanterns!  Can't beat 'em or wear 'em out! :)

Amen!

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2013, 09:57:05 PM »
I found a two-burner liquid fuel Coleman stove once that nearly incinerated me. LMAO. I even tried to replace the gasket and plunger assembly but alas, it would not work :(

PMZ

Offline dancan

• Whetstone +
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2013, 11:01:31 AM »
I bought a couple of handtools from an older fellow at a yardsale , we chatted for a bit , he gave me this before I left because it wouldnt run so he had bought himself a new one .

It ran fine after I reattached the coil wire .

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2013, 11:32:37 AM »
YOU WIN! 8)

Offline dancan

• Whetstone +
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2013, 11:50:48 AM »
Not sure yet , I did have to buy a new chain ......

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2013, 06:43:26 AM »
Not sure yet , I did have to buy a new chain ......
Dan,
First the axes, then the saw!
Any chance you are going to do the 50 mile yard sale this year?

Offline dancan

• Whetstone +
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2013, 03:39:02 PM »
I live in Porters lake and only go as far as Musquodoboit Harbour , I know I'm only seeing a couple of miles of it but that's about as much as I can handle of the circus LOL

Offline dancan

• Whetstone +
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2013, 04:26:24 PM »
Maybe I won't talk about the real good shape MS361 for 125$ or the 67$ JRed 2171wh for 67.50 because it wouldn't oil or the Husquee 2100CD for 62$ because he was done using it or the 2 FS550 I picked up for 225$ including 4 spare shafts and gear heads and 5 gas cans or the next to new 265RX because it was too heavy for 200 $ or the brand new in the box never gassed 6.5hp BS for my mower for 50$ or my FREE JD self propelled mower that only need me to weld the bracket for the wheel adjuster or the Barret 13hp tiller with 50 hrs on it that I got for 500$ or the free dead MS360 in a case or the free 036 no case or the free dead 025's x2 or the free JD CS56 , Echo and Shindaiwa sumthin chainsaws , brand new , never used 3 1/2 lb HB db , nope , I won't talk about any of that stuff or the sawmill blades or the 25$ Puma hunters pal that I have in case I forget to mention sumthin because there are more LOL
None were at yard sales except the free 017 , a couple were pawn shop finds , a couple were buy and sell shops but most were Kijiji .
Oh ya , yard sale new wet tile saw for 5$ , 10lbs of 6" lag bolts for 5$ , 2 propane torches and 5 full cylinders for 5$ , 2 filterqueen vacuum cleaners with all atachments for 5$ but it sure has been a tough go to find bushy related stuff .

Offline dancan

• Whetstone +
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2013, 04:35:15 PM »
Oh , BTW , I'm not sure if you wanna know what my B8200 with backhoe and loader cost me , it is well used and not pretty but it works :)

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2013, 07:49:45 AM »
Ahhhhh! Stop! You're killing me!
I cry "Uncle".
I never try to grudge someone their good luck, as good luck usually means a fair amount of work.
Those are great bargains.

Offline BigHat

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • hobo-crafter
    • BigHat Youtube
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2013, 10:59:31 AM »
scored a "Favorite" #3 skillet for 1.98
some good, wool socks for .45
and, not bushcraft related, scored a "GoFit" weight vest for 8.99
"you're doing it wrong!"  -everyone
"Doesn't matter what knife you're good with, if you're good with a knife." -Yeoman

Offline dancan

• Whetstone +
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2013, 11:53:08 AM »
Soooooooooo , I stop in to tell the yard sale guy that I got the Oh17 up and runnin , we chat for a bit and I go home with anuther non runner .
He said to show up next weekend , he has one more in the shed .

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2013, 12:55:31 PM »
Nice saw!
PMZ

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2013, 01:45:12 PM »
Stopped at a few this week end while out and about.......Nada.

I have noticed, that things run in streak's........This week end was Quesadilla machines and big old style TV's (32" and 36" heavy)........
Had to laugh as I have our old TV,.. 36" sitting here waiting to go to "The Place"... just need a couple of strong backs to carry it to the truck.......And saw the Quesadilla machine in the basement storage room.

Lots of items seem to run in popularity waves, then are resigned to yard sales and such.
Too bad there isn't a tag on them in the store...Caution this will be $2 bucks in 3 to 5 years.

Y'all are finding some really good stuff.....I guess I need to broaden my horizons a bit.

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2013, 04:00:05 PM »
Well here are my bushcraft finds today from two fleamarkets.
Group shot Coleman stove, Boy Scout knife, 2 brass clips, Lodge ashtray

Coleman 508 single burner stove.

Imperial (I think) white pearl Boy Scout knife with Phillip bit.

"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2013, 04:02:51 PM »
Those all look to be in real good, usable shape-cool score!

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2013, 04:35:24 PM »
All of the stuff is in great condition.

The stove had fuel in it when I bought it but I think I want to replace it. The stove took a few tries to figure it out. I did take the manifold off and blew it out with a compress air line. At the end of testing I had a very hot blue flame all around the burner.

The scout knife just needed a little oiling and all blades open pretty good now, the awl is the stiffest one.

I have been looking for a cheap little cast iron ashtray for the balcony when guest come over and $5 bucks is a winner today.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2013, 08:29:48 PM »
Who made the Scout knife, GH?   I've got the earlier version of that stove.....still works great!

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2013, 06:34:01 AM »
Who made the Scout knife, GH?   I've got the earlier version of that stove.....still works great!

Not sure because I can't read anything on the blade. From my google searches and comparing images to the knife I think Imperial.

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2013, 12:54:29 PM »
Stopped by a couple of yard sales today....been slim pickings lately...no good stuff.
Then bingo.......
1000 Federal small rifle primers, $20 bucks.....used in .223/5,56

Lee 12 ga slug mold, 300 1 oz slugs, and a RCBS 12 ga die set for the Rock Crusher press...or any rifle, pistol shell press....$20 bucks.
Really only wanted the die set, already have a 12 ga slug mold....too bad it wasn't a 20 ga........LOL.

Offline crashdive123

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2013, 03:34:03 PM »
Great finds H63.

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2013, 11:06:40 AM »
Awesome snags, Hunter!

Trade you out of fhat secondary 12 gauge slug mold if you want ;)

PMZ

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2013, 11:11:31 AM »
Awesome snags, Hunter!

Trade you out of fhat secondary 12 gauge slug mold if you want ;)

PMZ

I just checked my other mold and it's a 7/8 oz.....this one is a 1 oz mold.......But it came with 300 slugs, so that outa last me...forever.

So yeah, I would consider a trade.....Pm me.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2013, 06:32:41 PM »
I did well at the regional market today. I got a huge S.A.K. for$5 and a brand new still in the box Hiker water filter also $5.

This knife is also Brand new. not one scratch anywhere and still has the factory oil in the hinges.

Here is the hiker. with the knife too.

Then I went to real deals Our $1 store and picked up a couple stainless steel water bottles and these awesome cups. 20oz and a little thinner than the walmart $4.88 ones but nice size. 3 3/4" wide.

nice rounded bottom for better cleaning...

pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2013, 07:17:04 PM »
Man!  You made out like a fat rat on that deal, xj! :thumbsup:

Offline dancan

• Whetstone +
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2013, 04:57:07 PM »
Nothing much exciting over the last couple of weekends except 5ft of 1.5"x1/4" brass flat bar and 3ft of 1"x7/32" brass flatbar for 10$ , not quite sure what to do with it but I knew it would sine so I couldn't leave it behind LOL

Offline Nature Boy

• Whetstone +
  • NE Georgia
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2013, 07:20:16 PM »
Got 2 Temperate, Woodland Camouflage Coats stock number 8415-01-084-1656 today at our local 2nd hand store. Brand new size large regular....$5 for both! They had a few more, going back Monday hopefully they will still be available.

Proudly Jontok Bushy Approved!
God bless America.....again!! Old Foldin' Saw Fogey!

Offline dancan

• Whetstone +
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2013, 10:05:46 AM »

Today's 4$ purchace .

I spent a little more on this one .

Offline dancan

• Whetstone +
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2013, 12:09:17 PM »

The goods :)

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2013, 12:17:04 PM »
Nice snags, guys!

PMZ