Author Topic: No Weld Grinder Buil WIP  (Read 27820 times)

Offline backwoodsamerican

• Mill File+
No Weld Grinder Buil WIP
« on: September 23, 2013, 07:49:19 AM »
Hey everyone. I posted this on another fourm and thought maybe some of you would like to see it as well.

Well, I have making knives for about 8 months now. I just finished up with #22 and currently working on #'s 23,24,25 and 26.lol I dont see any singes of stopping soon! So I decided it was time to move forward and step away from my 1x42 and get a 2x72. I dont have a bunch of money so all the big boys are out of the question. I decided on the NWG 2x72.I figure If i keep building knives this grinder will be a great second grinder if I ever buy a Wilmont or something like it.

I will try to do my best with ths WIP. Fair warning Im not the best at remebering to take pics wile Im working on something. I get caught up in what im doing and forget from time to time. Plus I havent done to many WIPS. So here goes.

I bought the plans off USA Knife makers website. Good plans and very helpful. I did find a few mistakes but nothing I cant work around or figure out. I also will be changing a few things here and there but nothing to big. Im building the plans for the grinder with the flat platen and tool rest. I will be adding a small wheel atachment now and a wheel later when I figure out which one I want. I bought enough extra steel to have 2 extra tooling arms so I dont have to unbolt the attachements when I need to use them.

Lets get to the build. Ill start with this. Since I didnt Have another workbench and I didnt want to take up room on my main workbench, I have to get another one. My main workbench I built from old scrap lumber I found in a barn. Its awesome! I bet it weighs at least 500lbs! I like to keep it clean (yea right) so I can do all kinds of different projects on it. Since Im kinda pressed for time, I decided to use heavy duty shelving, Its 24 inches deep and 8 feet long. Good enough for now and lots of room to grow!

cutting the plywood for the shelves.

all finished up! Im going to make some brakets to hang my belts up on the risers. This should work out good!

Alright now that we have a good solid bench, lets get to building the grinder!

Here we have what will be a fine tuned machine! See it? Can you tell its a grinder?

Got my other workbench all cleaned off so I have some room to work! first time I have seen it for a long time! lol

First ting to do is cut and square up my base.

Now I will mark my holes I need to drill. Only holes I didnt mark and drill are for the pillow blocks. The are on the way so I will do this when they get here.

Im useing an irwin step bit in my drill press to drill the holes. These things eat metal! They are awesome!

Must have measured right, the bolts slid right threw! Yay!

I decided to tap the holes that are for the tool rest socket.

This is a dry fit of the base and tool rest socket. Starting to look like a grinder yet?

I took it all apart and cleaned it up. Put a coat of primer on and called it a day!

Im going to spend the whole day on this tomarrow so stay tuned!
thanks for looking!

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
Re: No Weld Grinder Buil WIP
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 08:00:56 AM »
Nice looking progress so far-I've read some good things on the NWG and think you'll enjoy working with it!

• Mill File+
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 08:09:29 AM »
Nice looking progress so far-I've read some good things on the NWG and think you'll enjoy working with it!

I hope so! so far its not really that much cheaper than buying a KMG with useing he same motor and ulleys as this one. Its a ton of work too. I need to get this done and get back to grinding asap!

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 08:14:13 AM »

I hope so! so far its not really that much cheaper than buying a KMG with useing he same motor and ulleys as this one. Its a ton of work too. I need to get this done and get back to grinding asap!

That's why I ended up with the Wilmont, but you'll have the satisfaction of the build, plus you can tweak things here and there as you go.  With it being "modular" it allows you to change things too if you want.  As long as you stay within the belt length you can do whatever you want.  Or even go with a 90" belt if you have to for certain attachments.

Looking forward to your progress!

• Mill File+
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 08:21:17 AM »
Ok here is what i got done on Sunday. I started out by painting the base, tool holder socket and hold downs. I really just wanted to see what this paint looked like. It looks pretty good.

Next I cut and drilled the uprights. Mounted them to the base. Im going to dry fit the rest of the build then take it all apart and paint it all at once.

Next I cut , drilled and taped the tension arm.

I cut and mounted the tooling arm socket.

Next up is the platten attachement. One big change is I want my platten to tilt. So Im making mine adjustable.

When you dont have a milling machine you have to be creative!

Getting there!

lots of hand work.

Its not perfect but should work.

Now to drill the platten.

All mounted up

Turning out pretty good! cant wait to get back to it!

Random fun shot, just playing with my camera! thanks for looking!

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 09:21:39 AM »
Looks great so far! I have read about these but never saw a really detail build pictorial. Thanks for posting this! :thumbsup:

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 09:57:36 AM »
Looking forward to Seeing this one finished.
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 10:41:23 AM »
Awesome build thread BWA, thanks for sharing with us.. :cheers:
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

• Mill File+
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 11:04:07 AM »
thanks everyone. i will keep going with the WIP. at the end ill break down the cost of everything that way if someone is on the fence about one of these it will help.

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 02:16:37 PM »
Nice job.  I built one of those as well.  It works pretty good.  I have never owned a belt grinder before and the belt tends to wander with pressure.  I'm not sure if that is normal or not.  Anyway I have used the crap out of mine and have been very happy for how little it cost compared to purchasing one. 

Offline ncnurseryman

• Whetstone +
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 02:51:57 PM »
Its really looking nice.  I am thinking about building one as well so I'll be watching this with great interest and watching your vids.  I bet it will a nice step up, I'm still working with the 1x30. 

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 05:39:43 PM »
Nice job.  I built one of those as well.  It works pretty good.  I have never owned a belt grinder before and the belt tends to wander with pressure.  I'm not sure if that is normal or not.  Anyway I have used the crap out of mine and have been very happy for how little it cost compared to purchasing one.

Two things to check - make sure your spring tension is pretty high and make sure the crown on your tracking wheel isn't too big.

• Mill File+
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 06:19:04 AM »

Two things to check - make sure your spring tension is pretty high and make sure the crown on your tracking wheel isn't too big.

+1 on this, i did a lot of research on these when i was planning my build. this is one thing that kept coming up. couple guys that have these told me you cant get enough spring tension on thes. try a stonger spring or making your spring shorter.

• Mill File+
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 07:50:27 AM »
Started off last night with making the tracking wheel mount and brackets.

Working dinner! mmmm

Mocked up my wheels, i will have to do a lot of shimming and adjusting later.

Next up i cut and drilled all my steel for the tool rest holder.

All mocked up. I decided to have all this welded to clean it up a bit.

Next i broke everything down to get it ready to paint.

All primed and ready for paint. I hope tonight I can get the paint done. Thanks for looking. might be a couple of days befor i get the rest of my parts. with any luck i will be grinding this weekend! Thanks for looking!

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 09:08:29 AM »
Looking good!

As for the tracking wheel crown...

On my Grizzly grinder, the belts would wander when you applied pressure. However the fix was the opposite. I read online to try a few wraps of electrical tape at the center of the tracking wheel, and sure enough, that fixed the issue and the belts stayed put after that.

• Mill File+
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2013, 09:30:33 AM »
Looking good!

As for the tracking wheel crown...

On my Grizzly grinder, the belts would wander when you applied pressure. However the fix was the opposite. I read online to try a few wraps of electrical tape at the center of the tracking wheel, and sure enough, that fixed the issue and the belts stayed put after that.

thanks for the tip! ill keep that in mind if i run into an issue

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2013, 03:13:19 PM »
I've been thinking of getting the plans that you did but have been skeptical of the build etc.  I am interested in seeing this completed and the $$$ you end up putting in to it.

Great work so far.

;)
Jontok Bushy Approved    Member#28   
1st Aid/CPR/AED Wilderness 1st Aid Instructor

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2013, 04:06:32 PM »
Here is mine.  I can't tell you exactly how much I have into to but it was one of the few things I have built that I actually ended up ahead of what it would have cost to buy.  As I recall it was just a little over half the cost of buying a new one.  But the disclaimer is I had some of the steel in my scrap pile and the other was from a place that sells cut pieces pretty cheap. 

Offline SIXFOOTER

• Whetstone +
  • Wandering Smartass
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2013, 06:33:00 PM »
I built this one a couple years ago, handy as a pocket on a shirt. I use it for all kinds of things.

Maker of all things Archaic, Hoarder of Gear and Fluent speaker of BS
Sixfooter got bit by a snake like that once, then after 4 agonizing days... The snake finally died....

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2013, 07:53:55 PM »
Here is mine.  I can't tell you exactly how much I have into to but it was one of the few things I have built that I actually ended up ahead of what it would have cost to buy.  As I recall it was just a little over half the cost of buying a new one.  But the disclaimer is I had some of the steel in my scrap pile and the other was from a place that sells cut pieces pretty cheap. 

Tell me more about that adjustable grinding jig. Looks like it would be a real asset.

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2013, 08:23:58 PM »

Tell me more about that adjustable grinding jig. Looks like it would be a real asset.

Well it is easy enough to make.  I have it because I suck at getting an even grind by hand.  Heck I suck getting one with the jig. :lol: 

It is nothing more than a piece of angle iron with a couple of hinges spot welded on.  The threaded rod adjust the angle and a couple pieces of leather hold it together.  Oh heck it is probably easier to just upload some pictures.

Don't laugh at my spot welds.  :) 

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2013, 08:27:27 PM »
Thanks! The pics make it easy to figure out. I'm not a welder but I could probably erector set something together. :D

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2013, 08:32:41 PM »
Thanks! The pics make it easy to figure out. I'm not a welder but I could probably erector set something together. :D

From my pictures you can tell I not a welder either. :lol:  I think you could figure something out.  Or find someone with a welder.  That little bit of spot welding does not take 5 minutes.   

• Mill File+
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2013, 09:40:19 PM »
draco and sixfooter thanks for posting up the pics!

I like that jig draco, I  just use a block of wood for now, but my idea of the tilting platten  is to use a jig to hold my knife 90 degree to the table and tilt the platten.

• Mill File+
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2013, 09:45:47 PM »
I've been thinking of getting the plans that you did but have been skeptical of the build etc.  I am interested in seeing this completed and the $$$ you end up putting in to it.

Great work so far.

;)

I will do a total cost to build at the end, I don't think I'm done spending yet.
if your interrested in talking about building one of these and are looking for an honest opinion, shoot me a pm.

• Mill File+
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2013, 07:02:08 AM »
All my parts showed up yesturday so it was time to start getting the final build done!

Started out with mounting my pillow blocks and driveshaft.

Next I drilled my bench for the mounting holes.

Mounted my base in place and attached the uprights.

Next I mounted my tool rest socket.

Then the tool arm socket.

Attached my tracking wheel assy.

Put together my platten assy and put a belt on to see where im at.

I spent a long time last night getting everything lined up. Still have some more tweeking to do but its coming along.
Might no be back at till Sat. we shaeel see. Thanks for looking.

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2013, 03:41:18 PM »
You're moving right along with that...next thing you know, you'll be posting pics of knives!!

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2013, 04:51:44 PM »
Looks great.  What spring did you end up using?  From the feedback here it sounds like my old screen door spring might not be strong enough.  :) 

• Mill File+
Re: Re: No Weld Grinder Buil WIP
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2013, 05:28:46 PM »
Looks great.  What spring did you end up using?  From the feedback here it sounds like my old screen door spring might not be strong enough.  :)

I used a very heavy duty spring its about 5 or 6 inches long? It takes a lot to press the tension arm down, ill try to remember a pic of the set up.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

• Mill File+
Re: Re: No Weld Grinder Buil WIP
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2013, 05:30:09 PM »
You're moving right along with that...next thing you know, you'll be posting pics of knives!!

Thanks, its been a lot of work. I have a few knives posted on this forum already, but ill be adding more soon!

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2013, 07:52:24 PM »
Great progress.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2013, 01:12:01 PM »
Looks great so far! Take lots of pics because that's the cleanest it will ever be, lol! :D

I am beginning to see how the design works. Looks like it's pretty solid and if you ever do get access to a welder you could weld the clamped parts and then remove the clamps to clean up the appearance a bit.

It looks like the tool rest tube uses a few screws to take up slack to make the tool rest fit close. I wonder of you could fit a thin piece of bar stock on the top and side between the screws and the tool rest arm and dimple it for the screws. Then it would allow smoother sliding in and out and the clamping would be more secure and less likely to damage the tool rest arm. Just a thought.

• Mill File+
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2013, 03:03:30 PM »
Looks great so far! Take lots of pics because that's the cleanest it will ever be, lol! :D

I am beginning to see how the design works. Looks like it's pretty solid and if you ever do get access to a welder you could weld the clamped parts and then remove the clamps to clean up the appearance a bit.

It looks like the tool rest tube uses a few screws to take up slack to make the tool rest fit close. I wonder of you could fit a thin piece of bar stock on the top and side between the screws and the tool rest arm and dimple it for the screws. Then it would allow smoother sliding in and out and the clamping would be more secure and less likely to damage the tool rest arm. Just a thought.

ya i didnt get too crazy about the paint because i now its not gonna last.

i welded the tool rest arms to get rid of the clamps and clean it up. i could have brought the rest into work and weld it up but time is everything! lol

good eye on the tool rest tube. thats a mod i came up with for now. its not part of the plans. the tube should have been 1.5 inch inside diamiter then there would be no slop. the plans called for 1.75 outside diamitter. not knowing what was going to happen i bought the steel per the plans. i will fix this later but for now i have got to get back to making knives asap, i got orders to fill! and a tight deadline!

Offline JTD

• Water Stone
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2013, 04:03:27 PM »
Thanks for the post.. Very interested in this build! :popcorn:

• Mill File+
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2013, 06:37:21 AM »
Well the grinder is pretty much done. I used it last night for the first time and finished up some blades I was working on. So far everything seems to be working pretty good. I will have to do some minor adjustments here and there but for now I need to get all my orders caught up.

I will do a follow up on total cost for the build once i add eveything up.

Ill just leave you with a few pictures of the finished grinder. Thanks for following along!

I added a small wheel attachment to my build

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2013, 07:14:41 AM »
It sure is a purty thing! O:-)
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2013, 07:23:20 AM »
Jontok Bushy Approved    Member#28   
1st Aid/CPR/AED Wilderness 1st Aid Instructor

• Mill File+
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2013, 07:47:33 AM »

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2013, 03:50:05 PM »
Looks like it turned out great, looking forward to some knife pics next!

Nice job  :thumbsup:

Offline JTD

• Water Stone
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2013, 04:05:52 PM »
Awesome grinder Backwoods.   

I wish I had the skill and equipment to build something like that. 
 :thumbsup:

• Mill File+
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2013, 04:50:28 PM »
Awesome grinder Backwoods.   

I wish I had the skill and equipment to build something like that. 
 :thumbsup:

you can do it, it didn't take much for tools or skill really. Hardest part is cutting the parts. You could have that done for you or use a hack saw, it would take a wile but it could be done.

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2013, 07:06:19 PM »
Well done.

A word of caution regarding your small wheel - don't run it for too long at a time.  The bearings tend to burn out if you do.  I usually limit mine to under 5 minutes and then allow it to cool.

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2013, 08:34:14 PM »
Nicely done, thanks for sharing the project  :cheers:
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

• Mill File+
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2013, 09:54:40 PM »
Well done.

A word of caution regarding your small wheel - don't run it for too long at a time.  The bearings tend to burn out if you do.  I usually limit mine to under 5 minutes and then allow it to cool.

thanks for the tip! That's kind of a bummer thou

Offline buzzacott

• Whetstone +
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2013, 11:34:12 PM »
Epic Meccano grinder!

Great work - looks amazing.
Don't kill unless for the pot. Don't fell a green tree for a pole if there are dry poles nearby. Study the bush, learn to read its secrets; watch the mason fly building and go to the ant for another lesson... then you'll realise the bush is your friend.
Richard Graves - 1944

Offline JTD

• Water Stone
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2013, 07:15:26 PM »
I'm curious if you don't mind sharing.  How much did this build cost you? 

I'm still really unsure if I could build an entire grinder myself, but if its cheap enough I'm sure its worth the effort.

I've been looking up grinder kits, and the Grinder in a Box seems like it may be another route. 

http://www.polarbearforge.com/grinder_kit.html 

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2013, 10:29:22 AM »

I'm still really unsure if I could build an entire grinder myself, but if its cheap enough I'm sure its worth the effort.

I've been looking up grinder kits, and the Grinder in a Box seems like it may be another route. 

That looks promising! I like the ability to run 60" all the way up to 90" belts. Would be neat if it could also run 48" belts.

• Mill File+
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2013, 09:44:52 AM »

its hard for me too tell because i bought the small wheel attachment and had to buy belts, my motor was free so we can guess about the price. without the small wheel attachement.

steel $125.00
Bolts and nuts  and paint $60.00
wheels $175.00
pulleys, pillow blocks and driveshaft ect. $140.00

so 500 bucks.

motors can be found around $200 so for $700 bucks you could be grinding

Offline oakwood

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2013, 11:32:49 AM »
That is a beautiful grinder. If I didn't see the pictures you posted from the start, I'd think that it was a factory built machine. Outstanding.

Offline trentu

• Whetstone +
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2013, 10:49:25 AM »
You make me wanna build a new grinder. Amazing well done job. I really like that small grind wheel. I bet it would make some wicked deep hollow grinds on a folder.
Act or be Acted Upon!