Author Topic: Making A Quinzhee. (Warning very pic heavy)  (Read 20769 times)

Offline WI_Woodsman

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • Badger State Bushcrafter
Making A Quinzhee. (Warning very pic heavy)
« on: January 05, 2014, 04:57:58 PM »
I've been making these kinds of shelters since I was a kid, we called them Igloos (which is a misnomer) it wasn't until recently that I found out this kind of shelter is called a Quinzhee (which is a Athabaskan word).  They are in fact the best insulated shelter you could build from natural materials since fresh snow is up to 80% compressed air.

First thing I did was to find a large clearing to make this process a bit easier (this is not a prerequisite) I settled on a frozen pond.  I began by heaping snow into a pile.

There was about 8 inches of fresh snow fallen I shoveled an area of about 50 feet in diameter into a a pile in the center...

The snow pile is about about 4 1/2 feet this may not seem very high but I will also use the snow from the inside to build it up higher...

Next I cut a few branches to use a depth markers...

I cut the little stragglers off and stuck them into the snow pile about 12 inches so that when I start hollowing the Quinzhee out I'll stop digging when I hit the end of the stick.

Next I begin to dig the entrance I'm making it just big enough for me to slid in on my belly.

It's slow going at first because you can't really fit inside yet...

It's about armpit deep now I'll start digging the celling.

I can almost fit inside...

Now that I'm fully inside I can now push the snow out with my feet.

My ruck fits over the entrance to keep the warmth in...

Here's a look see from the entrance in, it's hollowed out about 5 1/2 feet in diameter.

Another shot this time from the end of my sleeping pad.

One word: Hyggelig!  (any questions about this word ask Lumberjack DK)

I brought a small wood gasifier stove which produced too many BTUs for my size shelter which is why I'm outside brewing up my coffee.  I should have brought my folding Esbit stove it would have been perfect.

Got the coffee brewed up, one problem I forgot to put a vent hole in the top of the Quinzhee which is why it's so foggy...

Take 2:  Much better not so humid.

I don't know if you can see the vent but I'm looking right at it!  If my Quinzhee was a bit taller I would have carved a raised shelf to sleep on so that I'd be above the cold air.

It's may not look like it but it's very warm! 

I got this little compact candle lantern specifically for these kind of shelters it kicks out enough heat to take the chill out of the air.

The morning sun poking through the entrance.  I decided to use a tarp instead of my Rucksack, it kept the wind out better...

I almost forgot I had this in my Ruck I found it as I was rummaging around looking for the coffee.

5 1/2 feet diameter space gave me a sleeping area, kitchen and storage area for my equipment...

I can just about sit up completely as I eat my breakfast.

If your Quinzhee is constructed correctly you should be able to stand on the top of it.

Thanks for checking out my Quinzhee!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 06:42:34 PM by WI_Woodsman »

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
Re: Making A Quinzhee. (Warning very pic heavy)
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 05:11:23 PM »
Nice! ;) or you can use another language if ya like.

Thanks for taking the time to demonstrate your quinzee! I haven't made one in a long time, and when we made it, it was made for two of us, but very similar. I've made single ones, but it seems to go faster & better with a team. We had the sleeping benches also. I agree that is amazing how well they stay fairly warm with limited heat source(s). I'd say that even well dressed for the weather, a person can stay quite comfy!

Thanks again for showing a winter woods skill/method with everyone here at B&B!
 :thumbsup:
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 05:15:52 PM »
Great essay on your project!
Not to be a 'nervous Nelly", but what about carbon monoxide in such an air tight shelter? I know you said you cut a vent eventually. Would that be enough to be safe?
Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 05:22:35 PM »
I have helped build lots of these things with our Boy Scouts over the years and agree that they are quite cozy, but DO NOT forget the roof vent!  As you showed so well in your photo, it will get damp and foggy without it.  Cooking on a stove will bring it on quickly, but just your breath alone will do the same thing over a few hours.  It may be worth mentioning that if you intend to stand on your new roof for a photo-op....it's better to wait until the 12-24 hour settling/firming process has taken place before attempting the shot! 8)

Another thing....I can't sleep in one of those things :-\.   I have tried on several different occasions, but the SILENCE is deafening! :doh:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 05:30:13 PM »
Another thing....I can't sleep in one of those things :-\ .   I have tried on several different occasions, but the SILENCE is deafening! :doh:
Great place for meditating! Homemade 'sensory deprivation chamber'.  :rofl:
Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!

Offline WI_Woodsman

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 05:30:25 PM »
Great essay on your project!
Not to be a 'nervous Nelly", but what about carbon monoxide in such an air tight shelter? I know you said you cut a vent eventually. Would that be enough to be safe?

Lol, I woke up this morning.  Seriously though even if I didn't cut the hole there was plenty of oxygen getting in through the entrance, The hole was about 2 inches in diameter.  I mainly did it because it was so humid my camera wouldn't work and it was beginning to get a bit wet which is also dangerous in these conditions.

Nice! ;) or you can use another language if ya like.

Thanks for taking the time to demonstrate your quinzee! I haven't made one in a long time, and when we made it, it was made for two of us, but very similar. I've made single ones, but it seems to go faster & better with a team. We had the sleeping benches also. I agree that is amazing how well they stay fairly warm with limited heat source(s). I'd say that even well dressed for the weather, a person can stay quite comfy!

Thanks again for showing a winter woods skill/method with everyone here at B&B!

Thanks MnS, if I had more time I probably would have made the Quinzhee bigger to accommodate a sleeping shelf. 

Offline wsdstan

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 05:39:36 PM »
The only one I have been in we made on a winter camping trip when I was still in high school.  There were two things I remember about it.  It was great to be out of the wind and all night long I waited for it to collapse on us.  It didn't of course.  Thanks for posting this.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 06:06:25 PM »
Most excellent post. I too love them. Sleep well in them.

I wanted to use my plow truck to push a huge pile to have room for me and the two dogs. It snows, thaws, snows, thaws, snows... All I get is layers of ice.

I was going to jump on and give ya crap about the raised sleeping area but you knew about it already!! Not many know enough to do that.

Those UCO lanterns heat the top plate and dissipate a ton of heat. Best option for inside a snow hut. Yeah I'm not even going to try to spell it... :P

I do believe that the candle will suffer from lack of oxygen before you will. It will flicker and die down before you get dizzy. I can't believe a candle can produce enough CO to be dangerous. Especially if using 100% beeswax. ( I always do)

That summer sausage made me hungry for some. No cheese or crackers? Ya gotta have cheese and crackers too!!!

pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline diogenes

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 06:42:01 PM »
Man. Great job and great post. Might be making one of these tomorrow. :D

Did you compact the snow pile before you started digging it out?
"Go away," Chuang Tzu said. "I'm dragging my tail in the mud."

Offline WI_Woodsman

• Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 07:12:08 PM »
Most excellent post. I too love them. Sleep well in them.

I wanted to use my plow truck to push a huge pile to have room for me and the two dogs. It snows, thaws, snows, thaws, snows... All I get is layers of ice.

I was going to jump on and give ya crap about the raised sleeping area but you knew about it already!! Not many know enough to do that.

Those UCO lanterns heat the top plate and dissipate a ton of heat. Best option for inside a snow hut. Yeah I'm not even going to try to spell it... :P

I do believe that the candle will suffer from lack of oxygen before you will. It will flicker and die down before you get dizzy. I can't believe a candle can produce enough CO to be dangerous. Especially if using 100% beeswax. ( I always do)

That summer sausage made me hungry for some. No cheese or crackers? Ya gotta have cheese and crackers too!!!

Lol, no crackers or cheese (don't tell the other cheese-heads that  :-[) I did bring a few other items; corn nuts, granola and peanuts.  Yeah, snow hut or fort was another name for this shelter when I was growing up never heard the word Quinzhee (I don't even know if this is the proper spelling) until I heard of the word bushcraft...:P  Those UCO lanterns are suppose to last over 8 hours of burn time on one candle I don't use it for much else  I'll have to look in to the 100% beeswax ones I didn't know they made 'em...

Hey thanks Diogenes, I compacted it a little bit with the shovel by patting it down (not hard) gravity did most of the work.  It was warmer the first day mid 20s F as I was leaving the second day it was dropping fast -50s F so it was really solid by day two.

If you do make a Quinzhee tomorrow snap a few pix!   ;D   

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 07:19:58 PM »
Since our "snow amphitheater" a couple years ago, we haven't had enough snow for this project. Right now, I couldn't even roll a snowman!

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 07:21:56 PM »

+1, you said you shoveled a 50 foot area, so I'm guessing you did compact it quite a bit.  Especially since you can stand on it.

I really thought the stick idea was cool, very simple but an awesome idea to judge the thickness.  So is about a foot the recommended thickness?

Thanks for sharing, it's very cool!!

Offline WI_Woodsman

• Water Stone
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 07:23:08 PM »
It may be worth mentioning that if you intend to stand on your new roof for a photo-op....it's better to wait until the 12-24 hour settling/firming process has taken place before attempting the shot! 8)

That's why I took it before I left, nothing like sleeping in a shelter with no roof.  I think Les Stroud did this in the Arctic (sleep with no roof that is), I got mad respect for Les though!   O:-)

+1, you said you shoveled a 50 foot area, so I'm guessing you did compact it quite a bit.  Especially since you can stand on it.

I really thought the stick idea was cool, very simple but an awesome idea to judge the thickness.  So is about a foot the recommended thickness?

Thanks for sharing, it's very cool!!

I really didn't compact the pile that much it's mostly gravity that pack it.  I wish I could take credit for the stick method but I picked that up somewhere... ???  A foot thick is pretty conservative as far as thickness is concerned I use to judge by how much light you could see (not a very good gage) at 12 inches you can just barley start to see light...  The sticks take the guess work out and it gives your wall thickness continuity throughout the structure which gave it the strength to hold many times more than my weight on the roof.       
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 07:34:02 PM by WI_Woodsman »

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 07:23:42 PM »
Nebraska Method: Shovel snow (no patting), but wait about one hour to allow for settling and melding of dry snow granules.  Install depth stickers.  Begin excavating.  Carve out bunks. Pile interior 'waste' on roof.  Auger out roof vent with trowel.  Move in.

Not the ONLY way....just the way we've always done it. O:-)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2014, 07:27:10 PM »
Nebraska Method: Shovel snow (no patting), but wait about one hour to allow for settling and melding of dry snow granules.  Install depth stickers.  Begin excavating.  Carve out bunks. Pile interior 'waste' on roof.  Auger out roof vent with trowel.  Move in.

Ol' P's Lazy Man's Way:
Find a snow drift on the lee side of a hill. Tunnel in. Call it good.  :lol:

Offline WI_Woodsman

• Water Stone
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2014, 07:35:58 PM »

No, but it's really hard to do it any other way...   :P

Ol' P's Lazy Man's Way:

That would be the BEST way to do it!  We call those Badger Caves!

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2014, 07:39:56 PM »

Ol' P's Lazy Man's Way:
We've tried that, too.....but it seems the drifts are always in otherwise pi$$-poor camping spots. :shrug:

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2014, 09:57:02 PM »

Ol' P's Lazy Man's Way:
We've tried that, too.....but it seems the drifts are always in otherwise pi$$-poor camping spots. :shrug:
Oookaaay... It's -20 below out there, the wind's howling at 30 mph, it's starting to snow again...and you're looking for the perfect campsite?   :crazy:

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2014, 10:08:12 PM »

Ol' P's Lazy Man's Way:
Oookaaay... It's -20 below out there, the wind's howling at 30 mph, it's starting to snow again...and you're looking for the perfect campsite?   :crazy:
You never stipulated that there was a -20 temperature accompanied by 30 mph winds!  :duel:     Start diggin' a bigger hole.....we'll snuggle! :shrug:

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2014, 10:27:00 PM »

Ol' P's Lazy Man's Way:
You never stipulated that there was a -20 temperature accompanied by 30 mph winds!  :duel:     Start diggin' a bigger hole.....we'll snuggle! :shrug:
:rofl: Well, if there wasn't and it was bluebird weather with so little snow you had to shovel it to make a pile.... Just sayin'...  ;D

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2014, 12:11:21 AM »
Nicely done, thanks for sharing the build   :cheers:
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2014, 07:04:49 AM »
Awesome post WiW!  That was really good. 

So when you're piling the snow are you compacting it down?
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2014, 07:16:21 AM »
Great thread.

A question from one who has been down south for awhile and only sees snow once or twice a year.

I remember a lot of different types of snow.  Can you spot the stuff to build with or is there a test?
At least it's not a femur through the pelvis.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2014, 07:35:53 AM »
Great thread.

A question from one who has been down south for awhile and only sees snow once or twice a year.

I remember a lot of different types of snow.  Can you spot the stuff to build with or is there a test?
When we were at the Scout Leader's Winter Wilderness Survival Skills Workshop, 12 or 15 years ago, the trainer suggested that all types of snow would work IF you let it settle or cure for at least an hour before starting the excavation.  We only had ONE that ever caved in during the 'dig', but that was likely due to an impatient group of scouts that didn't wait long enough for the pile to 'set up'. 

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2014, 08:28:08 AM »
When I was a scout I went to a klondike Derby. It was an outdoorsman challenge. We had to do orienteering, first aid, run a bobsled team, Build a Quinzee, and a few other fun things.

We piled snow onto a big tarp and four of us would drag it to the pile and kind of flip it over on top. We did this several times. We took second place because we didn't have a large enough raised bed or a big enough vet hole.

I think if you built a ledge just higher than the floor in this case for the lantern you'd get more of a convection heating. Hanging it that close to the ceiling would be okay for light usage but other wise dissipate the heat into the snow rather than the air inside.

I'm inside listening to the wind and wondering how the roof shingles and siding are staying on the house. I think I would feel quite comfortable inside a small space low to the ground right now...

« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 08:33:36 AM by xj35s »
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline NMTracker

• Whetstone +
    • NatRevGA
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2014, 09:36:51 AM »
Very enjoyable build to see. I gotta say, some of my favorite skills to see photo threads of are these winter/snow type projects. Nice work! I guess I thought above-surface snow shelters were built from cut blocks of snow or ice like a Looney Tunes episode :)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2014, 09:41:37 AM »
Very enjoyable build to see. I gotta say, some of my favorite skills to see photo threads of are these winter/snow type projects. Nice work! I guess I thought above-surface snow shelters were built from cut blocks of snow or ice like a Looney Tunes episode :)
They CAN be, if you have the right snow to work with....RARE in my neck o' the woods. :-\

Offline WI_Woodsman

• Water Stone
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2014, 07:18:51 PM »
Awesome post WiW!  That was really good. 

So when you're piling the snow are you compacting it down?

OE, I did pat the snow down a bit with the shovel, I mostly let gravity do the work of compacting the snow. ;)

Hey Max, wet or dry snow will eventually solidify given enough time, usually dry (sugar consistency) snow takes longer, there's a scientific explanation for this process but you'll have to ask someone smarter than me to explain it...   ;D

xj35s, the shelter was so tiny the lantern produced enough heat.  Honestly this is the first time in many years that I constructed a Quinzhee, this build has given me a few ideas I'm planning on testing out before winter is over.  I picked up some soap stone today, I plan to make an Inuit style Kudlik, now all I need is some whale blubber!   :D

NMTracker, I'm glad you enjoyed the post I'm planning on making more.  The cut blocks of snow are Igloo's, hollowing out a manmade pile of snow is a Quinzhee and digging into a snow bank is a Snow Cave, up until recently I though they were all Igloo's...   :shrug:

Offline diogenes

• Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2014, 07:41:05 PM »

Hey thanks Diogenes, I compacted it a little bit with the shovel by patting it down (not hard) gravity did most of the work.  It was warmer the first day mid 20s F as I was leaving the second day it was dropping fast -50s F so it was really solid by day two.

If you do make a Quinzhee tomorrow snap a few pix!   ;D   

Here you go, brother. Spent a good part of the afternoon building this thing. It took a little long than I thought since the snow's so powdery here, with our temps at about -10 today. Also, I accidentally punched a hole in the back and had to fix it, which took a little while. :-\

Some finishing touches.

The two of us could get inside and sit up completely. I don't think the floor of this one's as wide as yours, WI.

My coveralls were frozen stiff by the end of it. I was pretty warm overall though. Fingers needed a little help though.

My reward: some good local salami and a little nip to warm me up. 8)

Thanks, WI for the inspiration. This was a fun project. I'd totally do one of these again. :D

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2014, 07:54:43 PM »

You gotta like being cold to go through that kind of trouble and then try to sleep in a potential avalanche or cave in,  that is not for someone who doesn't like being in closed in places,  however,  if you bring some lemonade or strawberry flavored snow cone mix you could talk me into visiting for an hour or so.    :fire2:
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline lgm

• Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2014, 07:56:39 PM »
Thanks for the thread. We have the cold just not the snow. Got some winter left. We shall see.
What a great day to be outside.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2014, 08:54:04 PM »
Awesome thread!

I wish we'd get a good thick layer of snow to try stuff like that. Ours is about all melted away here. 4 years ago we got a really nice deep bunch of snow where it snowed maybe 5 times in a few weeks.

I think of all the natural shelters out there, this is on the top of my list of ones I want to try. Just need a thick enough snow for it. Pretty amazing you can stand on it without it collapsing.

Diogenes, plain old white label Jim Beam is my favorite bourbon. :thumbsup:

Offline WI_Woodsman

• Water Stone
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2014, 09:14:42 PM »
Diogenes, excellent job man!   :thumbsup:

Looks like it was the same hight and diameter as mine the outside appearance can be deceiving but the inside is quite spacious!  Love the hobo stove outside perfect for taking the chill out of the finger tips!  Man that salami really looks tasty, now you're makin' me hungry.   :drool:

I'll definitely be making a bigger one this year if the weather cooperates. 

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2014, 10:19:34 PM »
Good one Diogenes! Very Neat!

I also see you, like WiWoodsman, are another who likes their salami/thuringer "straight up" without the cheese & crackers. Maybe the bourbon too? Some call it "neat". Anyway, good one!
;)

Thanks for sharing another quinzee with us!
:)
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline diogenes

• Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2014, 10:25:59 PM »
Diogenes, plain old white label Jim Beam is my favorite bourbon. :thumbsup:
:cheers:

Diogenes, excellent job man!   :thumbsup:

Looks like it was the same hight and diameter as mine the outside appearance can be deceiving but the inside is quite spacious!  Love the hobo stove outside perfect for taking the chill out of the finger tips!  Man that salami really looks tasty, now you're makin' me hungry.   :drool:

I'll definitely be making a bigger one this year if the weather cooperates. 

Thanks, man. When I saw your pics I knew I had to make one. I'd like to try sleeping in one some time. It's -14 outside right now so... not tonight! ;)

I had to have that stove going for my hands, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to stay out there and play as long as I did. :fire2:

Good one Diogenes! Very Neat!

I also see you, like WiWoodsman, are another who likes their salami/thuringer "straight up" without the cheese & crackers. Maybe the bourbon too? Some call it "neat". Anyway, good one!
;)

Thanks for sharing another quinzee with us!
:)

Heh-heh. Thanks, Mn. Yeah, I guess we do. I came inside and that salami was the first thing I saw, lol. I couldn't help myself. Needed to replace all those calories! :)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 10:32:11 PM by diogenes »

Offline Dabberty

• Whetstone +
    • My outdoor & DIY blog
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2014, 06:48:52 AM »
Very nice ! I'm jealous, still waiting for winter to come this direction... this year is so bad, more like spring then winter.
My outdoor & DIY blog:  www.dabberty.com

Offline WI_Woodsman

• Water Stone
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2014, 11:05:42 AM »

;)

Lol, I like CHEESE & crackers I just didn't bring it out, next time I'll bring some cheese at least, I gotta represent WI!   :D

Thuringer sounds Goooooooooooood!   :drool:

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2014, 03:20:02 PM »
Diogenes, Very impressive with so little snow. I have two dogs, so I would need much more snow, Or it would be embedded with "yard fudge"

Now I'm hoping we get a bunch more snow. I can build a Quinzee and build a friction fire for Bighats Contest...

Offline Southern Illinoisian

• Whetstone +
  • You and you come with me the rest of you panic...
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2014, 06:50:09 PM »
Now I'm hoping we get a bunch more snow. I can build a Quinzee and build a friction fire for Bighats Contest...
IDEA THEIF!!! just kidding. lol thats what i said i was going to do. Great minds I guess.

I have never built one but it seams like a lot of work. About how much time dose it take for one, if you recall?
"If ever again our nation stumbles upon unfunded paper, it shall surely be like death to our body politic. This country will crash." - George Washington

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2014, 06:52:31 PM »
IDEA THEIF!!! just kidding. lol thats what i said i was going to do. Great minds I guess.

I have never built one but it seams like a lot of work. About how much time dose it take for one, if you recall?
Depends on whether you are paying yourself by the hour or by the job. :popcorn:

• Whetstone +
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2014, 07:04:12 PM »

:shrug: I lost you, not hard to do for a dumb infantry guy though.
"If ever again our nation stumbles upon unfunded paper, it shall surely be like death to our body politic. This country will crash." - George Washington

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2014, 07:09:14 PM »

Sorry, Sarge, just kiddin' around.......I can't help it. ???    Sometimes my mind wanders! :shrug:

• Whetstone +
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2014, 07:14:47 PM »

Sorry, Sarge, just kiddin' around.......I can't help it. ???    Sometimes my mind wanders! :shrug:
lmao, finally i got it (I just love when i figure stuff out about a min or ten later).

Offline diogenes

• Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2014, 08:13:44 PM »

I think you could build one in a couple hours easy. Mine took about three because the snow was really powdery and I had to fix a hole I accidentally punched in the back of the darn thing. WI outlines the whole process pretty well.

BTW, has anyone tried the method shown in the pic below? This guy's using inflated trash bags but I've seen it done before where people pile the snow on top of their packs as kind of a shortcut.

• Whetstone +
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2014, 08:19:51 PM »

I think you could build one in a couple hours easy. Mine took about three because the snow was really powdery and I had to fix a hole I accidentally punched in the back of the darn thing. WI outlines the whole process pretty well.

BTW, has anyone tried the method shown in the pic below? This guy's using inflated trash bags but I've seen it done before where people pile the snow on top of their packs as kind of a shortcut.

That's awesome I just wish that I had some real time to go and get my experience up. I get to go in the back yard and mess around when the one year old is sleeping.

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2014, 10:19:05 PM »
Wicked cool 8) thread! :thumbsup: 

I've built these, but never slept in them.  I don't think I could - I'm kinda claustrophobic.... :'(

My brother was telling me that in some service or another, the guys sleep in 'em with stick going outside near their heads.  Every time they wake up at night, they give the stick a little wiggle and go back to bed.  Helps keep the vent hole open and likely gives some peace of mind.  I have heard a lot of these shelters being used up here, and in all conversations there is a lot of time spent on making sure there is adequate ventilation.  In other words, apparently you can die in these....

Debby Downer, huh? :shrug:

One thing, did you find it extra cold on the ice? I'd have thought the ice would be colder than just plain snow...

AWESOME post man! :thumbsup:

What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline WI_Woodsman

• Water Stone
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2014, 08:23:19 PM »

It took me about 3 1/2 hours with the amount of snow (which was about 8 inches) I had.  Construction time goes down the more snow you have to work with.

Wicked cool 8) thread! :thumbsup: 

I've built these, but never slept in them.  I don't think I could - I'm kinda claustrophobic.... :'(

My brother was telling me that in some service or another, the guys sleep in 'em with stick going outside near their heads.  Every time they wake up at night, they give the stick a little wiggle and go back to bed.  Helps keep the vent hole open and likely gives some peace of mind.  I have heard a lot of these shelters being used up here, and in all conversations there is a lot of time spent on making sure there is adequate ventilation.  In other words, apparently you can die in these....

Debby Downer, huh? :shrug:

One thing, did you find it extra cold on the ice? I'd have thought the ice would be colder than just plain snow...

AWESOME post man! :thumbsup:

If you seal the entrance to the point of it being airtight you'll definitely have co2 build up which can cause hypercapnia (carbon dioxide poisoning).  Carbon dioxide is heavier than oxygen which is why the entrance to your Quinzhee should be pitch down to funnel out excess co2.

The ice wasn't bad I had a pad insulating me from it. ;)

Interesting...  If it does work it'll cut down construction time for sure. :)   
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 08:42:53 PM by WI_Woodsman »