Author Topic: Krack's 2014 Suwannee River trip  (Read 29375 times)

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
Krack's 2014 Suwannee River trip
« on: March 17, 2014, 07:10:27 AM »
 The trip started at Stephen Foster State Park Fl also known for the being the hangout for the Hush Krac. It was 8:45 when we all were waiting for the pick of our Shuttle van. We spent a hour waiting and catching up for him to show. Gear checks followed by talk of the amount of food we had all brought. Soon a Cheech and Chong looking van rounds the corner in the park with a barely legal trailer. Our driver fit the bill for a river guide and even co-wrote a guide/history book on the river. You will see later how Kracks go to smooth it when we filled the van with our gear. The ride up to the drop off required a stop to pick up a few supplies that was needed last minute. Then off to Faro Ga. We stopped in Fargo at the bait shop to get a few tubs of wigglers for fishing and parked at the ramp.

This is where things stated to get interesting.(LOL) There had been one last minute cancellation so we had one man and gear we had to fit amongst us. After repeated load splits and another canoe that was pretty over weight was realized two Kracks stepped up. Yellowyak and St.Nick made the decision to stay behind so the rest could travel on. The bad thing about this was we were shuttled so we had no vehicle there to dump gear in or for them to ride home. Hush volunteered to retrieve the Kracks and hostel them at the Farm in Luxury.

So we are down to 5 Kracks and canoes. South down the Suwanee we head. The river is beautiful from the beginning as we move through flooded banks and all the trees. After a couple miles we happen on a branch that you had to go under that was only a couple feet off the river. It was not an easy situation as the currant was very strong due to some funneling effect and a Krack was down. (Do not ask you will not be told who) The whole group responded in such great reaction any SARS team leader would have been proud. One person helped the fallen and the rest gathered gear. It was not a funny situation and could have been anyone of us do to the strength of the current.

So after recovery we head down as far as we could travel for the rest of the day. We make camp around four pm. We found a little island that was a couple feet above river level with fire wood no more than ten feet away from camp. Fire was first on the list and getting all of the gear that was submerged dried out or at least try. First nights meal was steaks with red beans and rice. With a little wine or Mt.Dew. This first night was our coldest around 36dg. Four of us hung the first night and Red tented it the whole trip.

At first light we had a fire going with big pot of coffee(Thanks Acara)waiting for us. Put on a spread for breakfast of bacon and eggs. Then loaded up made some nav checks and realized we had to put in the single greatest day of paddling any of us had done to get back on track. We were looking 22 miles in the face and started knocking her out. Again I can not stress enough the pure beauty of this place. No noise pollution and the nights were all tarpless for me and Greyhound as there was no light pollution either. It looked like the Big Dipper was in our laps.

Lunch was on a nice beach area with a bent over Live Oak and sparling branches. Ham and cheese Sammy's were on the menu along with some snack size gold fish crackers. Later after lunch we hit a marker of crossing over into Florida the Krack's state. What a motivator knowing that we were knocking this mileage out like pro's. We made the decision to get below highway 6 to find a camp. Well it was getting close to dark and the elevation of the banks had changed. So we paddled for a couple more miles than we thought just to find a camp.

Second nights camp was landed close to six pm. That gave us an hour to gather wood and get grub on. Which for us was not even an issue at all. Tonight's menu was Brauts and buns with a side of whistle berries and a terayaki pork loin. Awesome is how I describe any of our meals everyone is good cooks. On this night the camp consisted of two hangers and two dirt baggers one tent dweller. Low for this night was a nice 54dg. Nav checks showed that we had 16 miles to travel today to Big Shoals. One nice thing that we noticed in this part of the river was that it was getting narrower. In that our river speed picked up a little which made this 16 go by very pleasent.

Along the way we passed a group of Kayaks camped along the river. Florida's landscape started changing from tree species and elevation heights as well. We stopped for lunch at Cone Bridge Rd. and had some more ham sandwich's. We packed up from there and headed to our last camp within 30 min. Big Shoals here we come! This was not a real long paddle before we saw a sign that gave us a 3/4 mile warning. Then we rounded the bend to find the portage. What a joke that was the stop sign was hid behind a tree and if you missed it you were committed to a hell of a ride. But we all landed safely at the take out.

There is a pic of the sign with rapids right behind it. This little portage of a 1000' is as fun as you can have. From the beach landing you must lift up your boat 4 1/2' to another grade to get on the trail. We portaged all the boats as soon as we got there so we could get in my opinion the best camp spot you could have. Our camp was on a bluff overlooking the main shoals. The sound was tranquil and scenery was pure heaven. This camp was busy as all get out around us. There was a Scout troop along the Fl trail that cuts trough. There was a few other groups of paddlers spread out along the river.

We had hit this camp by three pm so we had a nice break and took our time breaking out all our gear. But a few hammocks were the first things out to lounge on. Firewood was a little sparse but we found some. Dinner this night was really good. Spyder broke out all the stops and blessed us with his wild game fare. Plenty of deer backstrap and ham steaks. I had pork loins cooking over the fire in a homemade dry rub and also a Spydie deer chili. Wow we were packing away some proteins. The remaining wine was getting scared and the fireside chat was funny as usual. We had a young couple camping right beside us and at first they may have been to say a little optimistic about us. But when it was over and we had feed them they were alot happier with knowing us.

This is also the situation that the new Kraker knife swing dinner invite has been born. Someone else can explain.LMAO. We bedded down for the evening and I can say that river will put you in a deep sleep that was much needed and wonderful. Awoke to getting grub on and again this was no small task. The bear sausage and 3lb bacon and more deer loin was frying. We were so full an egg never got cracked this morning.

After that amazing meal we all were slow moving. Camp took a while to break down but there was no major need to rush. The remaining portage from camp to the water was just as interesting as the take out. To the water from our camp was only 20yds but down a steep root washout. Painters front and back were attached. Boats were lowered down drug down and placed for launch. This was not a simple launch but we had to lower each boat off a small ledge and walk back to a tree stump so we could enter. All the while being at the end of the shoals in the wash. We all made this entry with no problems. We had set up a safety crew on the opposing beach in case of a dump but it never happend.(thanks Spyder for being last off).

The rest of the trip was a eight mile paddle to the ramp which would have been a blast. BUT mother nature had been good to us for to long. 17mph head wind with higher gust was our return paddle. We laughed at each other as our 360's happened as the wind had her way with our canoes. Added ballast did not work there was  a gorge effect happening through the trees. But we managed to still make good time to the ramp. Upon getting close we heard the sound of the Krack call letting us know the Hushster was close. At the ramp we were greeted by the Farm crew. They helped us unload and load all of our stuff which was a great treat for our tired bodies.Needless to say Advil made a profit from this trip. After a few pics and goodbyes I headed back south to rejoin my other family. This trip was one the best I've done yet. The tribe has a great group of people that can make anything out of nothing and awesomeness with a little more. Guys its was fun paddling with you.

http://s1179.photobucket.com/user/SwampHanger/slideshow/Facebook/Suwannee%20River%20Trip

P.s. Please start posting your pics.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 10:10:34 AM by SwampHanger »

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
Re: Krack's 2014 Suwannee River trip
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 07:54:20 AM »
I had a great trip that I will remember for a long time. Thanks guys for making this a fun one. Nick I love the belt you made hanging out with Hushnel at the park, glad to see you enjoyed your trip after being sidelined. That is an awesome primitive buckle.

Up the Creek we were grace with your heron friend he did ask where you were.

Here are a couple off of the phone.
Can have too many fire pics.

Dirt bagging after a long day on the river.

Will post more pics from the camera later tonight.
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline acara

• Water Stone
  • Captain of the Blue Pig
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 08:01:49 AM »
Beauty;

.. and the beast

Meet me under the pee-pee-tree

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 09:26:42 AM »
Thanks Red

Bump slide show link added in OP
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 09:53:49 AM by SwampHanger »

Offline lowcard1

• Whetstone +
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 10:03:01 AM »
 SwampHanger thanks for the great description of the trip. I am glad all went well and everyone made it back safe. Looks like that water level was really up there. Was the shuttle driver from that outfitter in white springs ?

Offline Red

• Maker of Sub-Par Knives
  • Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 10:06:42 AM »
Thanks Red

Bump slide show link added in OP

You need to change the album from "Private" to Public.. We can't see it :(
"Big drama next few hours.. But whatever happens, no matter what they tell you.. Don't let 'em take them chains off me.."

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 10:06:54 AM »
No the one at the song of the Suwannee. Nice guy.

Two of the groups we ran into where from Jax

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 10:11:08 AM »
Can you see it now?

Offline Red

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 10:17:49 AM »
"Big drama next few hours.. But whatever happens, no matter what they tell you.. Don't let 'em take them chains off me.."

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 10:21:16 AM »
Great weather to try and clean/dry gear in today huh? Going through and removing what I didnt use.

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 10:30:15 AM »
Great weather to try and clean/dry gear in today huh? Going through and removing what I didnt use.

You should have went to work today and taken tomorrow off.

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 10:34:13 AM »
I wanted to get this thread started. Besides I just have stuff strung all over the house. Wife doesnt get home till 6. I should make it.lol

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 10:38:38 AM »
Looks like a barrel of fun. I have to get down there and pester you guys. I guess I might get wet...but I won't starve :) Glad you all had a good trip.  :canoe:

Creek

Great pics in the slide show...love the gator warning!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 10:44:54 AM by upthecreek »
Axes Rock!

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 10:41:57 AM »
Great report and great pictures Swamp. Looks like that new camera treated you we'll on this trip.

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2014, 10:44:45 AM »
Not to bad.It was hard all around with sun glare or tree shade but out of a 100 or so these had the best exsposure.

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2014, 10:49:39 AM »
Great narrative and slideshow Swamp... :thumbsup:

Good to hear you all had a great trip and all returned safely, thanks for sharing
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline Saintnick001

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bushcrafter and pumpkin carver extraordinaire
    • Portfolio of Nick Grohs
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2014, 12:06:46 PM »
Sorry I didn't get down river with you guys. Looks like a lot of fun. A lot of work but a lot of fun as well. Don't feel bad for me though. I had an absolute blast hanging out with the medicine man. He kept me fed well, entertained, and bestowed some invaluable knowledge.
"Well, at least it's not a femur through the pelvis."

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2014, 12:12:25 PM »
I'm really glad it worked out for you Nick. That was an awesome belt and buckle are you gonna post it up?

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2014, 12:28:21 PM »

Offline Saintnick001

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bushcrafter and pumpkin carver extraordinaire
    • Portfolio of Nick Grohs
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2014, 12:47:05 PM »
That was an awesome belt and buckle are you gonna post it up?

Yep. Gotta jump on my pc at some point and upload the pics Mike sent me.
"Well, at least it's not a femur through the pelvis."

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2014, 01:29:27 PM »
Looks like we got off the river on time. They are saying it will be at flood stage Wednesday. Just got the alert on my phone. 

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
  • Florida Cracker since 1960
    • Barclay Customs
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2014, 01:36:15 PM »
Yeah it's been raining pretty solid since late yesterday afternoon, my fire pit is under water.

Offline diogenes

• Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2014, 03:16:21 PM »
Looks like you guys had a blast. Great trip and photos! :thumbsup:
"Go away," Chuang Tzu said. "I'm dragging my tail in the mud."

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2014, 03:40:34 PM »
Great report and pics. Looks like good times.
"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline woodsrunner

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2014, 04:12:14 PM »
awesome job guys!
other than the mix up at the begining, sounds like the rest of the trip was text book!
ive been putting together a group canoe trip on the missouri river for this coming july and i'm happy to watch you fellers in the meantime! :)...woods
'At play in the fields of the Lord'
Save a Logger...Eat a Tree Hugger!

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2014, 05:05:58 PM »
Well here is some more pics from the trip. Round 1

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2014, 05:11:45 PM »
Round 2

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2014, 05:49:09 PM »
Red you beast post your pics ! And you too Spyder.

Offline acara

• Water Stone
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2014, 06:03:04 PM »
I'll try to post some that everyone else didn't get already ...

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2014, 06:15:00 PM »
Is that tower at Stephen Foster State Park?   Never been there, but I think I saw a picture of it when I was researching a canoe trip.....pretty building!
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline acara

• Water Stone
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2014, 06:30:18 PM »
Is that tower at Stephen Foster State Park?   Never been there, but I think I saw a picture of it when I was researching a canoe trip.....pretty building!

Yep

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2014, 06:40:08 PM »
Nice avatar bro!

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2014, 06:40:32 PM »

Hushnel can tell you much more about the carillon bell tower, but from my perspective, it was one of the coolest towers I've seen. As a bonus, on Sunday when I drove into the park, the tower was playing My Old Kentucky Home, brought back many memories of my hometown. As far as the Stephen Foster Park, it's probably one of the most well maintained and manicured state parks that I've ever been to.

Susan, one of the supervisors at the park said that most of the upkeep is performed by guests at the park that get free camping use if they put in a certain number of hours working at the park each week. The system definitely works.

Offline acara

• Water Stone
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2014, 06:42:07 PM »
Nice avatar bro!

We'll u guys named it ...so it was either get pissed, or embrace it ...LOL

Got custom vinyl decals coming for the canoe next week  O:-)

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2014, 06:43:26 PM »
Nice avatar bro!

The Blue Pig, now that's funny...

Offline acara

• Water Stone
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2014, 06:58:46 PM »
Rapids video

« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 07:06:06 PM by acara »

Offline woodsrunner

• Water Stone
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2014, 08:03:54 PM »
awesome pics!...thanks for posting :)...a rapids run just might have gone south on yawl. :P...woods
'At play in the fields of the Lord'
Save a Logger...Eat a Tree Hugger!

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2014, 08:11:19 PM »
I'm waiting on photobucket. will post some photos shortly.
Man what a trip, my back is sore from all the paddling, LOL.
I sure wish Greg and Nick would have been on this trip, And we had all brought our own canoes. Lesson well learned, Thanks again Greg, I really owe you one.  :thumbsup:
Thanks guys for making this a trip I'll never forget. I was all smiles at work today.
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2014, 08:32:07 PM »
At Hush's farm Wed

1st nites camp

3rd day

Ron after our bath

You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline Red

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2014, 09:21:16 PM »
Such a great trip!! Prepare for Photo Dump!!

Offline U.W.

• Whetstone +
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2014, 10:18:08 PM »
Looks like a really great trip!  So many outstanding photos too!  Glad yall got out and, thank
you for posting it up and taking us along

u.w.

Offline acara

• Water Stone
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2014, 04:38:04 AM »
Looks like we got off the river on time. They are saying it will be at flood stage Wednesday. Just got the alert on my phone.

Yeah ..just made it by the skin of our teeth .. I don't even want to imagine that trip at 65'  >:D

3/13/2014

3/14/2014

3/15/2014

3/16/2014

3/17/2014

3/18/2014

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2014, 04:46:38 AM »
Our first camp is a few feet under right now! Lol

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2014, 05:00:00 AM »
Thanks Red & Spyder great pics!

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2014, 06:09:51 AM »

Spyder it's a rabbit eye blueberry bloom.

Offline Red

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2014, 07:13:58 AM »
QUICK! SOMEONE STOP THAT CHILI THIEF!!!!

Offline acara

• Water Stone
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2014, 07:31:20 AM »
We'll get to him right after we catch the meat thief ....

Offline acara

• Water Stone
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2014, 07:34:01 AM »
Our first camp is a few feet under right now! Lol

Imagine what that "portage" landing looks like (paddle-up-cliff-climbing anyone) ..... and the stop sign is probably submerged *cringe*

Offline acara

• Water Stone
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2014, 07:41:15 AM »
Does this PFD make my ass look fat?

???

Offline Saintnick001

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone