Author Topic: Building a log home...we hope.  (Read 2923 times)

Offline JohnE

• Whetstone
Building a log home...we hope.
« on: December 24, 2016, 08:02:22 PM »
My wife and I are looking at some farmland in Oregon upon which we hope to build a log home.

We're still in the looking stage but we've found some very promising possibilities.

Will be updating as time and progress develops.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
Re: Building a log home...we hope.
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 08:58:26 PM »
Best of luck!
Do you plan on using native trees, or are you thinking about a "log package" from a supplier?
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline JohnE

• Whetstone
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 02:00:03 PM »
Best of luck!
Do you plan on using native trees, or are you thinking about a "log package" from a supplier?

We're still at the property acquisition stage but I'm leaning towards a hybrid of both.

I've been consulting with a friend who's been building a pretty amazing log cabin for the last 10 years. He used a system whereby he designed and planned the building and then sought out quotes for a complete set of logs based on his plans from various log suppliers. The supplier he chose did the math and then shipped him the trimmed, debarked logs in bulk. He built the cabin and ended up with 1 or 2 logs leftover when all was said and done.

That's pretty impressive to me.

The complete "Kit" method is something we're also considering. There are some very distinct advantages to it but they come at a cost.

Onward...

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 02:44:57 PM »
Congrats ....Love log cabins.
We bought a custom made Amish built "cabin".....not a house.....size being the difference.

Need to have chinking checked and re-stain....this year.

They do have some special requirements.. ...

Keep us posted. 
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 02:46:12 PM »
Best of luck!

We're still at the property acquisition stage but I'm leaning towards a hybrid of both.

I've been consulting with a friend who's been building a pretty amazing log cabin for the last 10 years. He used a system whereby he designed and planned the building and then sought out quotes for a complete set of logs based on his plans from various log suppliers. The supplier he chose did the math and then shipped him the trimmed, debarked logs in bulk. He built the cabin and ended up with 1 or 2 logs leftover when all was said and done.

That's pretty impressive to me.

The complete "Kit" method is something we're also considering. There are some very distinct advantages to it but they come at a cost.

Onward...
The first case is what I was referencing.  Just a suggestion, but if you are looking for a supplier to pre-cut and ship logs to Oregon, check with the Canadians.  I'd bet you a fifth of Crown Royal that a U.S. log supplier buys his logs from Canada, and resells them to you.  You can't believe how many log trucks with house logs I see crossing the border every month in the Spring and Summer.
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 04:01:56 PM »
Years ago, I remember seeing tons of those log kit-home  builders around Kalispell and the Bitterroot valley......don't know the origin of the logs, but some of them got pretty palatial.  We saw lots of big log homes that were for sale all over the mountain regions of western Montana last summer......people must be running out of money up there. :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 04:06:36 PM »
Good luck, I hope you get it!

If you do, please keep us updated with pics of the process. I would love to see it come together.

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2016, 04:47:01 PM »
Did a lot of research to arrive on the decision for our cabin.

We did not have any log timber to speak out on our 10 acres.....and even if we did...nothing around big enough to make into logs...

Take a LOT of logs....and big enough to build with....
So looked into the kits.....
One company had a guy the had built several on his development......pa ckage deal....like 250k up...sg footage 900 sq ft up.

I went to look at them as I just wanted to see what they looked like....with OUT DW standing there saying...Ooooh, This is nice!...(Yeah, no ship....500K)...

Reason I looked is that the same company sold kits.....starting around 50K...up...for use on MY property.

Good start is figuring .....double the cost of the kit....to put up and close in.....then another same amount to finish off any amenities..
Property and site prep is up to you as well.

Our decision was a 16' X 40' closed in cabin, with 8' porch built wit 8"  tongue and groove "D" shaped logs that were milled on their site.
Paid 25K in 2005.

I did all the finish work and unities...
The site prep, excavation, well, septic/drain field that was done first.

When looking for land....
CHECK....access road, power, well depth if (possible), perk for septic...zoning and mineral rights.
Most all can be worked with....just a lot more expensive.
Good luck

Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline NewEnglandBushcraft

• Whetstone +
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2016, 04:56:29 PM »
:thumbsup: Good luck, looks like you're going to have an exciting year  :banana:
"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe." ~ Abraham Lincoln
My blog, https://newenglandbushcraft.wordpress.com/

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2016, 07:17:18 PM »
Years ago, I remember seeing tons of those log kit-home  builders around Kalispell and the Bitterroot valley......don't know the origin of the logs, but some of them got pretty palatial.  We saw lots of big log homes that were for sale all over the mountain regions of western Montana last summer......people must be running out of money up there. :shrug:
If you're talking 20+ years back, the logs might have been native. Logging restrictions are such now that the lumbermen are struggling just to make 2x4's, let alone house logs.  We've have 2 local mills close in the past 15 years.
Yes, there are many for sale up here.  And good luck finding one, even on 5 acres, for under $400,000!

One company had a guy the had built several on his development......pa ckage deal....like 250k up...sg footage 900 sq ft up.

I went to look at them as I just wanted to see what they looked like....with OUT DW standing there saying...Ooooh, This is nice!...(Yeah, no ship....500K)...

Reason I looked is that the same company sold kits.....starting around 50K...up...for use on MY property.

Good start is figuring .....double the cost of the kit....to put up and close in.....then another same amount to finish off any amenities..

Our decision was a 16' X 40' closed in cabin, with 8' porch built wit 8"  tongue and groove "D" shaped logs that were milled on their site.
Paid 25K in 2005.

CHECK....access road, power, well depth if (possible), perk for septic...zoning and mineral rights.
Good luck

That's why if you find one already standing, on acreage, it's going to carry a half-million $$$ price tag!

And all this in an area where the nearest job market is 75+ miles away.....
If you're a retired airline pilot with a fat 401K, then c'mon up!

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2016, 09:02:51 PM »
In 2005 a 16 X 30 ft cabin was $16K.......we added options.....
Don't know what they are now......

Offline JohnE

• Whetstone
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2016, 12:28:15 AM »
It's gonna be interesting...I got my wife 5 different books about log home building for Christmas, her birthday present is already hiding in my workshop, it's a double bit axe.

She's at least as excited about the potential house as I am.

Offline JohnE

• Whetstone
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2016, 12:31:40 AM »
Did a lot of research to arrive on the decision for our cabin.

We did not have any log timber to speak out on our 10 acres.....and even if we did...nothing around big enough to make into logs...

Paid 25K in 2005.

Good luck

The land we've found has already had a lot of the necessary prep work done. It's been approved for a home, has a rough driveway cut out, been perc tested and tentatively approved for septic. Even has a creek running thru it. Oregon has some interesting zoning and other property usage issues that I'm learning more about as we progress.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2016, 08:28:20 AM »

The land we've found has already had a lot of the necessary prep work done. It's been approved for a home, has a rough driveway cut out, been perc tested and tentatively approved for septic. Even has a creek running thru it. Oregon has some interesting zoning and other property usage issues that I'm learning more about as we progress.
Let's hope this parcel doesn't carry any caveats that are going to sneak up on you.
One family I know followed their "Montana Dream" and bought 5 acres north of town. After building their home, they found out they were limited to 5 chickens, and 1 rabbit. No horses, sheep, goats or pigs.
Ignorance on their part, but a real crimp in their dream.
It's been a real problem here with out-of-State developers buying up land and then imposing caveats inconsistent with local life styles.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2016, 09:56:25 AM »
Yes, you have to review the title policy and copies of any and all covenants that have been placed on the ground.  You also have to visit with the local governmental folks regarding ordinance restrictions on use.  If you are using a Realtor make him do some of the work and get it in writing. 

Covenants on the ground can be restricting as all get out on your ability to use the ground in the ways you might want to.  If there is a good side to covenants they will prevent some junk, shoddy structures, and too much stuff on too little land area from happening.  We are far enough out that development won't occur in our lifetime but close to town there are some real nightmares.

Covenants can be good things though.  One subdivision of 3 to 5 acre lots with no covenants is near the small town we travel to frequently.  The variety and disparity of housing and outbuildings is incredible.  One family builds a nice structure and it is a clean lot with nice fence and a couple of nice sheds.  Next door is an old single-wide trailer just hauled in and put on blocks.  Half resided with pine boards with the remaining half various stages of dilapidated metal pieces.  A yard full of junk cars and other disabled machinery along with piles of old building materials.  Horses graze on a two acre fenced in flat spot that has not seen a blade of grass in five years.  This eyesore sits on the main entrance road to the subdivision and offers potential buyers of adjacent and nearby lots a view of what can and will happen.  Sales have been slow.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2016, 10:12:22 AM »
Yes, you have to review the title policy and copies of any and all covenants that have been placed on the ground.  You also have to visit with the local governmental folks regarding ordinance restrictions on use.  If you are using a Realtor make him do some of the work and get it in writing. 

Covenants on the ground can be restricting as all get out on your ability to use the ground in the ways you might want to.  If there is a good side to covenants they will prevent some junk, shoddy structures, and too much stuff on too little land area from happening.  We are far enough out that development won't occur in our lifetime but close to town there are some real nightmares.

Covenants can be good things though.  One subdivision of 3 to 5 acre lots with no covenants is near the small town we travel to frequently.  The variety and disparity of housing and outbuildings is incredible.  One family builds a nice structure and it is a clean lot with nice fence and a couple of nice sheds.  Next door is an old single-wide trailer just hauled in and put on blocks.  Half resided with pine boards with the remaining half various stages of dilapidated metal pieces.  A yard full of junk cars and other disabled machinery along with piles of old building materials.  Horses graze on a two acre fenced in flat spot that has not seen a blade of grass in five years.  This eyesore sits on the main entrance road to the subdivision and offers potential buyers of adjacent and nearby lots a view of what can and will happen.  Sales have been slow.
All true enough.
I've never bought a residence with resale value as a main motivation, but millions of folks do.
Thanks for finding the term that escaped me, Stan: covenants.
Without covenants, neighbors' only recourse is County and/or City governments regarding "nuisance" ordinances.
BUT, covenants are very hard to enforce without the authority of a Home Owner's Association over-seeing the development.  And once you get under the thumb of an HOA, you are going to be told how short to cut your grass, where to park you cars, and be subject to a multitude of ridiculous restrictions.

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2016, 10:59:07 AM »

Let's hope this parcel doesn't carry any caveats that are going to sneak up on you.
One family I know followed their "Montana Dream" and bought 5 acres north of town. After building their home, they found out they were limited to 5 chickens, and 1 rabbit. No horses, sheep, goats or pigs.
Ignorance on their part, but a real crimp in their dream.
It's been a real problem here with out-of-State developers buying up land and then imposing caveats inconsistent with local life styles.

Good points...."approved for a home"....may have limits on size.....and completion window of one year.
I know these will not apply to everyone....but is an example of creative thinking, interpretation
 of rules. ...local ways (city people vs local)

Our lot had several Covenants .....from the developer.
No mobile homes....
800 sq. feet min....closed in with in a year....building need permit and inspection before occupancy.   

Local/state zoning...
Our township min of 5 acres to BUILD on.....Township next door...30 acres.
Driveway grade limits.
50ft Easement along the river...for public use.

Power company, no hook up unless the home is complete.

Now there are creative options....This is where local contractors and a USDA Ag number comes in.

Neighbor crops 12 acres so that qualifies me for the Ag number.

To start.... used a travel trailer and shed.....
Power isn't residential ....Ag seasonal rate for out buildings....shed.. .plug in trailers.
Almost went with a "yard light" for $15 bucks a month...and an outlet

Driveway wasn't a driveway to start...was Ag access road.....later modded to NICE Ag access road (driveway....grand fathered in)

Log cabin was considered a "portable building" (Came by semi)... On blocks/sonnet tubes...so no permits needed...)....
Was able to do electrical and plumbing....get that inspected.....only requirement was a disconnect on power pole....Mobil home style.
Can still have everything disconnected,  porch removed and haul off.

Power there and septic was perked, well drilled and state inspected before my Bigazz "shed".... cabin showed up.

Local assessor came by leaves a note that they valued the building for what I paid for it....and to let me know I was being taxed.....

Bingo....I'm for real.

Long story.... but important example of plugging into local contacts....with the questions:

I want to get from here to there...what do I have to do?...
Do you know anyone that can do the work.?

Sometimes this is worth spending some time and money.... buying brewski's or attending the local Veterans and church dinners.

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2016, 11:07:06 AM »
Who do you want for a neighbor.....LOL?
This?

Or this?

Land was sold....guy that bought it....got rid of the yurt.... and built this?

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2016, 11:35:51 AM »
I believe that this is the best log cabin premanufactured home worth investing in. They build it before shipping to make sure everything is right. They assemble it on site. You have to do the finish work, joists/roof, windows,  and wiring/plumbing.  You will need to add those costs to the house total.

I believe they own the land the logs come from. We didn't get one because the wife thought it would not blend in with our neighborhood. Wish I had though. This modular is crap.

http://www.canadaslogpeople.com/index.html
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2016, 11:42:05 AM »
This?

Or this?

The question probably isn't directed at me, but my answer might surprise.
Let's call them #1 (nice stick house w/porch), #2 (yurt), and #3 (slab-built "shack")
I'll relate these neighbors to my particular area
#1 could be a retired couple, or younger couple with a desire to live in the country in a turn-key operation. The only "sweat equity" that interests them is planting a few fruit trees, and a tendency to bring their city comforts and attitudes with them.
#2 appears to be "camping out" on his own property. Bought a few acres to get away from town, and do as he pleases without the hassle of "public lands" use.
#3 would actually be my choice for a neighbor.  Pay-as-you-build approach.  Basic needs covered.  Probably a whole lot less likely to complain about my crowing rooster, or my goat eating his noxious weed crop.  This "shack" actually looks like a lot of folks here who build a livable dwelling while constructing a more permanent home on the property.  I know several who spent 1 or 2 winters in small campers while building their log, or stick home, including milling their own lumber.

I'll pick #3 for a neighbor.

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2016, 12:38:12 PM »
This?

Or this?

The question probably isn't directed at me, but my answer might surprise.
Let's call them #1 (nice stick house w/porch), #2 (yurt), and #3 (slab-built "shack")
I'll relate these neighbors to my particular area
#1 could be a retired couple, or younger couple with a desire to live in the country in a turn-key operation. The only "sweat equity" that interests them is planting a few fruit trees, and a tendency to bring their city comforts and attitudes with them.
#2 appears to be "camping out" on his own property. Bought a few acres to get away from town, and do as he pleases without the hassle of "public lands" use.
#3 would actually be my choice for a neighbor.  Pay-as-you-build approach.  Basic needs covered.  Probably a whole lot less likely to complain about my crowing rooster, or my goat eating his noxious weed crop.  This "shack" actually looks like a lot of folks here who build a livable dwelling while constructing a more permanent home on the property.  I know several who spent 1 or 2 winters in small campers while building their log, or stick home, including milling their own lumber.

I'll pick #3 for a neighbor.

LOL...#1 is my log "cabin"....delivered by truck....Not a house,  per se......

#2 was the up grade for the blue bus in the flood plain....
This was a squatter that got moved out to sell the land to #3

#3....This was the result....after a couple of years.....and land sold again....

Now.....been a couple of years....

Yeah It does surprise me a bit you pick #3...but then again  seems a lot of "cabins" start out like that...and get improved...some don't....
h
Have to admit a payas you go approach is the only way to some to get by....

But
I sticking with my log cabin....

Offline JohnE

• Whetstone
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2016, 01:25:47 PM »
I believe that this is the best log cabin premanufactured home worth investing in. They build it before shipping to make sure everything is right. They assemble it on site. You have to do the finish work, joists/roof, windows,  and wiring/plumbing.  You will need to add those costs to the house total.

I believe they own the land the logs come from. We didn't get one because the wife thought it would not blend in with our neighborhood. Wish I had though. This modular is crap.

http://www.canadaslogpeople.com/index.html

Thanks for the tip, I added them to the ever growing files of info.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2016, 02:49:23 PM »
Thanks for finding the term that escaped me, Stan: covenants.
Without covenants, neighbors' only recourse is County and/or City governments regarding "nuisance" ordinances.
BUT, covenants are very hard to enforce without the authority of a Home Owner's Association over-seeing the development.  And once you get under the thumb of an HOA, you are going to be told how short to cut your grass, where to park you cars, and be subject to a multitude of ridiculous restrictions.

You are 100% correct on what HOA restrictions can be......... ridiculous.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2016, 07:25:25 PM »
Nice modular, Hunter! And a good job "proving up" on it!  :thumbsup:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2016, 08:17:53 PM »
Hunter that is a great cabin.  You ought to take a bunch of photos on the inside too.  Looks like a winner.  Nice site too, great view you have there.
(Mark Twain)

Offline Unknown

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2016, 08:58:07 PM »
Hunter, what is that your house is sitting on? I see the trees out back in your first pic. In the next to last photo, trees are in the same place, but there is a door down low- never seen anything like that.

John, maybe all the B&B axemen can come up; hew and cut joints for you( you do the layout) of course everyone would have to head home before you got to rafters and purlins. Hope it works our for you anyway you get there.

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2016, 09:25:30 PM »
Hunter, what is that your house is sitting on? I see the trees out back in your first pic. In the next to last photo, trees are in the same place, but there is a door down low- never seen anything like that.

John, maybe all the B&B axemen can come up; hew and cut joints for you( you do the layout) of course everyone would have to head home before you got to rafters and purlins. Hope it works our for you anyway you get there.

The last pic of the cabin on the hill and basement isn't mine...is a work in process on the same lot as the blue bus , yurt, and  shack on the hill....... that was all removed.....and cabin like mine was set on a foundation.

These pic were posted to show the journey and what can be done...given enough time, hard work and working with what you have....
Yeah have some more pic's...but this isn't my thread...and I kinda feel I stepped on it a bit.
That wasn't the intention....
Lots of stuff involved and have traveling the journey,... (1998 to present)... just wanted help out on those little details that help you get from here to there.
Will leave you with on last pic....
"The Place".....original with travel trailers, Taj-ma shed......in use from 1990 to 2004.
You can see the new cabin up hill and behind the trailers.

Offline Unknown

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2016, 09:40:49 PM »
That explains why I couldn't reconcile the dormers either. I like your dormers, good to have on a simple gable.

Offline JohnE

• Whetstone
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2017, 12:05:02 AM »
Where's your cabin located Hunter?

It looks very nice from what you've shown so far.

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2017, 10:15:26 AM »
Where's your cabin located Hunter?

It looks very nice from what you've shown so far.

It's located on about 16 acres in south west Wisconsin....on the Kickapoo River.
Bought 10-1/2 acres....then added 6 more.

My west boundary is the township line...our township has a 5 acre limit....but the other township has a 30 acre minimum....neighbor got in with his cabin before the change.....Another one of those pesky details.

He also had to buy 8 more acres to get the driveway grade in the township rules...

We like it...... but still just a 640 sq ft cabin with a couple of lofts....not a house...
That was our "Master plan"....so keep in mind what you want in the end......for your use......

I do kinda collect usable antiques...(DW says junk)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2017, 11:53:23 AM »
 :thumbsup:  Great porch.  Guy could sit and spit off that all day long.
(Mark Twain)

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2017, 01:27:43 PM »
Or shoot off of it.......

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2017, 03:32:30 PM »
 :cheers:
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2017, 03:51:23 PM »
That's just one of the things I miss about living on the home place.....opening the front door and firing a few high-powers into the bluff.  Relieved a lot of tension! :drool:

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2017, 05:25:09 PM »
I can't find the sign I inherited from my late best bud, but I see they are still available to remind guests of proper protocol.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2017, 06:07:57 PM »
Guilty in spades OP.  :P
(Mark Twain)

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2017, 06:37:03 PM »
I can't find the sign I inherited from my late best bud, but I see they are still available to remind guests of proper protocol.

I'm guilty!
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2017, 06:42:10 PM »
Wieners and porch decks go together like peas and carrots. :cheers:

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2017, 10:53:01 PM »

You just go around the back of the house......ladies as well......LOL

Funny you should bring that up.....
When we were using the travel trailers...there were decking in front to keep out of the mud....
Standing there at the edge, one day, taking a wizz....looking down at how tall the grass was,... around my spot.
Thought ...Hummmmm...I wonder???

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2017, 09:50:27 AM »
LOL!  Someone wrote in a "natural remedies" book that pouring urine on weeds would kill them.  Nobody told the weeds.  Obviously one of these "tips" that gets read, and repeated without any practical experience.
Urea is a time-tested fertilizer.  But the diet and hormones of the host play a big role.  From my experience, the urine of a female dog will kill vegetation in a heartbeat. But once the female is spade, it has no affect on grass/plants. :shrug:
Ha! Talk about thread derails...sorry...

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2017, 11:11:59 AM »
LOL!  Someone wrote in a "natural remedies" book that pouring urine on weeds would kill them.  Nobody told the weeds.  Obviously one of these "tips" that gets read, and repeated without any practical experience.
Urea is a time-tested fertilizer.  But the diet and hormones of the host play a big role.  From my experience, the urine of a female dog will kill vegetation in a heartbeat. But once the female is spade, it has no affect on grass/plants. :shrug:
Ha! Talk about thread derails...sorry...

Well, since you brought it up.............my spayed female seems to have no effect on vegetation, but my neutered male can kill all types of vegetation.  If I could just take the little SOB around and squeeze him, I wouldn't need RoundUp.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2017, 01:36:55 PM »
Side note...
Once paid $4.95 for a quart of "K-Grow" fertilizer......Fro m K-Mart.

Said on the back....2% Urea, %1 inert contents, %97 water.....
Made in Japan.

Sooo.... I paid $5 bucks for Japanese pizz.....LOL

Never worried about it sense.
BTW Female dogs do kill grass.....wood ashes sprinkled on the spots helps.

How did this go for log homes to dog pee..? 

Offline Unknown

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2017, 01:39:06 PM »

You just go around the back of the house......ladies as well......LOL

Funny you should bring that up.....
When we were using the travel trailers...there were decking in front to keep out of the mud....
Standing there at the edge, one day, taking a wizz....looking down at how tall the grass was,... around my spot.
Thought ...Hummmmm...I wonder???

Plant a couple short rows of cotton, use your fertilizer regular, and you'd be set

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2017, 07:27:26 PM »
"The Place".....original with travel trailers, Taj-ma shed......in use from 1990 to 2004.

I missed this post somehow. So you were one of "those neighbors" for 14 years yourself? :lol: :taunt:

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2017, 09:20:55 PM »

I missed this post somehow. So you were one of "those neighbors" for 14 years yourself? :lol: :taunt:

Yes sir I/we are/were....but still here........cabin 12 years ago....and all paid for.
LOL

The bus/yurt guy was a squatter ....gone.
Shack cabin guy, ...land contract...ran out of money.....I see this a lot.
New Amish cabin on basement ....been there for a year....we will see......

Next door real good neighbor to the west, smaller Amish cabin....been there the same amount of time as ours....no well and uses a outhouse......
Retired last April....kinda waiting to see what his next step will be.

Cabin to the east...just changed hands....guy paid about 30k for land and cabin ..12 years ago...sold for 90K no well, out house, no power.....seem OK.

Farm to the east. was one of the original farm.....that was developed...has changed hands, several times in 25 years...
First lady from Chicago...bought as an rental investment....Then rented to some a-wholes.....decided what's mine is his, and what his didn't belong to him anyway....lasted a year or so....Glad to see him go.

Next family moved in.... repaired old farm...making the "homestead" gardens, chickens, couple of goats......no insurance...had medical problems and needed a new well......ran out of money...sold out in about 6 years.

Next people moved from Alaska...she was kind of a PITA, but was a nurse. as was a adult kid.
Husband was a Posse Comitatus member.....has signs posted.....
They made money with foster children....then he went to jail for molestation.

She needed money....wanted to sell her farm for big bucks, then buy the 2 lots nest to me......
I managed to buy the 6 acres next to me before her, actually with a phone call to the realtor ....so she didn't have both lots...and sold out.

That lot has the Amish cabin that just sold.....we will see.

People that bought the farm /homestead......He lives there and works from home doing interweb stuff.
She still lives and works a lot in Chicago...

Talked to him while helping him pick tomatoes last fall...for canning......said he had a good year...ONLY cost him 250k last year... for expenses and remodeling...so far good neighbor.

Point is: The Building doesn't matter all that much....the people do,....and owners are better neighbors than renters.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2017, 10:31:54 PM »
Boy is that last sentence true.  People do matter.  At this time we have good neighbors on all sides.  Wasn't always that way though.
(Mark Twain)

Offline JohnE

• Whetstone
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2017, 10:45:02 AM »
A quick update.

An acquaintance that lives near where we're hoping to buy went and scouted the potential property. He gave it a big thumbs down so we're back in the land scouting phase.

Onward...

Offline Fitzer

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2017, 06:59:55 AM »
My wife and I are looking at some farmland in Oregon upon which we hope to build a log home.

We're still in the looking stage but we've found some very promising possibilities.

Will be updating as time and progress develops.
The best of luck with your venture ,I envy you I have to say ,was building a holiday home here in Ireland and looking for planning permission for a log cabin . No luck the local council would not allow it ,say it was not in keeping with the locality ,what a load of old rot .
After holidaying in the states and seeing all the fantastic log cabins I got the bug .
So again the very best of luck,let us know how you are doing .
Regards Mick
Live everyday as if it's your last, because someday it will be.