Author Topic: Custom Buck 119  (Read 1376 times)

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
Custom Buck 119
« on: May 20, 2017, 02:38:48 PM »
I was fooling around on the Buck Knife web site, and noticed they were doing custom 119s.  Could not resist.  Ordered one with the S30V steel, Ironwood handle, Brass pommel and guard.  It's been ages since I owned a Buck fixed blade.   Looking forward to this one.
Oh, and "Kracaneuners" will be engraved on the blade.    :)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Re: Custom Buck 119
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 02:55:22 PM »
That's kool.  Can't wait to see it.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 03:43:05 PM »
I just "built" your custom order on-line. Sweet!!!  Nice choices.
A Buck 119 was my faithful companion for 46 years until I gifted it to my eldest son two years ago on his birthday.  21st birthday present from the ol' man. He seemed pleased.
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 08:13:49 AM »
I have never owned a 119.  Always had KBars instead.  This new model, with the upgraded steel, should be a solid performer.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 08:44:08 AM »
I had a 119 at one time, but I can't remember what happened to it....either sold, gifted or traded away, I suppose. :shrug:    I didn't care for it as a field dressing knife for deer because the upswept, trailing point made it a little too prone to snagging a gut, but they really come into their own as a 'camp' knife.  You really need a bigger knife for some of the heavier duty chores around camp and the Buck 119 REALLY fills the bill for that kind of work! :thumbsup:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 02:24:27 PM »
I doubt I would ever consider the Buck 119 as a dead animal processing knife.  The blade is just not the right shape.  It's too small to be a 'chopper', and too big to be an EDC knife.  Still, I believe it will have a place around camp, or possibly as a belt knife for some of my long swamp hikes.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 02:30:01 PM »
Isn't that one that the "1%'s" like to carry?
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 04:48:01 PM »
Let us know how you like that S30V, ML.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 05:20:19 PM »

Buck 110 (Folder) was the thing in the late 70's to mid 80's...

Don't ask me how I might know such a thing. Although, it has been many years since I was among such folks.... at that time, it was a VERY popular carry... Among other things....
 ;)

Nice knife Mannlicher! Glad ya found something that will make a memento to your kinfolk some day. Nice that it being engraved, & that should make it even more of a treasure.

I am looking forward to seeing the pics when you finally have it in hand.
:)
Edit: Ya... You betcha...
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 05:43:38 PM by MnSportsman »
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2017, 09:40:43 PM »
I doubt I would ever consider the Buck 119 as a dead animal processing knife.  The blade is just not the right shape.  It's too small to be a 'chopper', and too big to be an EDC knife.  Still, I believe it will have a place around camp, or possibly as a belt knife for some of my long swamp hikes.

My 119 dressed out 3 Washington blacktails, 1 Idaho muley, and about 2 dozen Montana whitetails.  While I've since found a belt knife I like better for the chore, the Special's blade profile was ideal for ringing the anus to free the intestines, rather than having to break the pelvis.  It isn't ideal as a skinning knife, by any means, but it did an adequate job on the aforementioned animals. I ended up field dressing and skinning one whitetail with my Kershaw 1550, and wished I'd had my 119 with me! LOL!

Okay, I'll bite. What's a "1%-er"?  Since I obviously am one, I'd like to know the name of the club.  ???
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2017, 10:43:13 PM »
Ol' P.....the American Motorcyclist Association determined that only 1% of motorcyclists are 'outlaw-bikers,' so biker  gangs like the Wild Hogs  8) took that declaration and proudly flaunt 1% patches as part of their club's 'colors' to taunt members of legitimate biker groups like the Rolling Thunder outfit who parade on their bikes at fellow veteran's funerals, etc.
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2017, 10:47:41 PM »
Ol' P.....the American Motorcyclist Association determined that only 1% of motorcyclists are 'outlaw-bikers,' so biker  gangs like the Wild Hogs  8) took that declaration and proudly flaunt 1% patches as part of their club's 'colors' to taunt members of legitimate biker groups like the Rolling Thunder outfit who parade on their bikes at fellow veteran's funerals, etc.

Haha! Okay. That's me, a "gang of one".   >:D

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2017, 05:37:33 AM »
Let us know how you like that S30V, ML.

well I can tell you now, that in my humble opinion,  S30V is one of the best knife steels ever developed.   I have quite a few with that steel, with  hours and hours of hard use experience using that steel for everything from chopping to dressing animals.

Old Philosopher
My 119 dressed out 3 Washington blacktails, 1 Idaho muley, and about 2 dozen Montana whitetails.  While I've since found a belt knife I like better for the chore, the Special's blade profile was ideal for ringing the anus to free the intestines, rather than having to break the pelvis.  It isn't ideal as a skinning knife, by any means, but it did an adequate job on the aforementioned animals. I ended up field dressing and skinning one whitetail with my Kershaw 1550, and wished I'd had my 119 with me! LOL!

I could dress out an animal with a sharp rock, but that does not make the rock my first choice for the task.  I have much better tools for jobs like that.    :)

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2017, 07:03:41 AM »
That should be a very cool knife.  I like the 119.  It was my first knife and I still have it and like taking it out from time to time.  My EDC is a Buck Vantage with the S30V steel and it has been superb.  Mine indicated a BOS heat treat on the blade but they seem to have it down.  Can't wait to see some pics when you get it. 
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2017, 01:12:56 PM »
Buck says the knife has shipped, and I should have it Wed, the 21st.   :)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 05:39:21 AM by Mannlicher »

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2017, 02:29:47 PM »
Post man delivered today.  It's quite an impressive knife.  S30V steel, with Bos heat treat.  Quality Ironwood handle, and brass guard and pommel.    This one will get a lot of time afield, as a general purpose belt knife.  That little S&W Model 60-15 will make a perfect companion for the Buck 119    :)

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2017, 03:38:54 PM »
Dang that does look good Mannlicher!  You picked a handsome setup for sure!  Is the sheath brown or black? 

Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2017, 04:03:42 PM »
Well, its a handsome knife.  I am not big fan of Buck fixed blade knives because of the use of the aluminum guard and pommel on standard edition knives.  I do love my 110 25th anniversary edition with Ni-silver bolsters and rosewood scales.
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2017, 04:18:05 PM »
Dang that does look good Mannlicher!  You picked a handsome setup for sure!  Is the sheath brown or black?
the sheath is brown.  Very well made,  and it protects the handle as well as the blade.  It has a polymer insert inside the leather.  The snap holding it together has a plastic back, so it won't scratch the handle.

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2017, 04:49:53 PM »
Carried a Buck 119 as my "Hunting Knife" back in the 70's 80" .
Was considered a top of the line knife back when....and given to many a hunter as a gift....
Glad to see it is getting some love lately....Nice custom.

Then the brand,.. "Buck" ...became a POS to the eyes interweb knife X-Perts for whatever reason.....mostly trying to out snob each other.
Hunting knives were considered passe' in favor or Bushcraft, zombie killers and tactical freaks knives....from their Mama basement couch.

Mine is still around I like it and still use it form time to time.... but I have many options so don't so much any longer. 
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 05:18:22 PM by hunter63 »
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2017, 04:52:34 PM »
That's a beauty Sam, congrats.

A few months back I ordered Stacy a custom Buck 110 folder "Bear Knife" in S30V. She like's it.

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2017, 06:29:33 PM »
Greg,  you sure know the way to a girls heart.    :)

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2017, 07:53:02 PM »
Hey, after 29 years of marriage, you know I've got the pulse of her needs... Yea, right...

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2017, 08:08:25 PM »
Hey, after 29 years of marriage, you know I've got the pulse of her needs... Yea, right...

Bhohahahaha.....Rii iiight.
Buy Hey ..... you are trying hard....Nice knife.
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2017, 11:08:27 PM »
Carried a Buck 119 as my "Hunting Knife" back in the 70's 80" .
Was considered a top of the line knife back when....and given to many a hunter as a gift....
Glad to see it is getting some love lately....Nice custom.

Then the brand,.. "Buck" ...became a POS to the eyes interweb knife X-Perts for whatever reason.....mostly trying to out snob each other.
Hunting knives were considered passe' in favor or Bushcraft, zombie killers and tactical freaks knives....from their Mama basement couch.

Mine is still around I like it and still use it form time to time.... but I have many options so don't so much any longer.

QFT!

:thumbsup: :cheers:

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2017, 07:54:35 AM »
I hate photobucket

Offline upnorth

• Whetstone +
  • Working on my feather sticks
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2017, 06:40:13 PM »
Gorgeous Mannlicher.  8) Truly a handsome working tool. I gave a 119 to a female teacher on the north shore of Lake Athabasca many years ago, and she was appreciative. Your upgraded steel isn't what I threw into my Walmart shopping cart a few years back, but it felt good to have one again anyway. S30V steel should give that cat some very serious claws.

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2017, 06:17:52 AM »
the 119 is not quite  as pretty now. It  has seen  carry time in the woods.  I find it's an almost perfect hiking companion.