Author Topic: Changing the ol WWII Plumb hatchet again...  (Read 526 times)

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
Changing the ol WWII Plumb hatchet again...
« on: July 26, 2017, 06:55:24 AM »
Well I just can't make my mind up on a handle for this ol Plumb.  I love the head so I'm gonna keep trying to handles till I get the right one.  Previously hung it on a 19" repurposed handle below:

I'm wanting a shorter hatchet back to 13-14".  I found a nice one with great grain and good shaping with the ergonomics.  Only potential issue is this handle comes with the kerf shaped down quite a bit.  I don't like this because they remove too much wood most of the time and you can't get the perfect custom fit when working it down yourself.  But they are $4 so that's worth a small gamble to take.  so here's where it's at now and I will continue to post as I work on it. 

the knife you see is the hayshaker knife I won in his generous giveaway.  It's been a darn good little utility knife for projects.

fitting is getting there.  The top of the kerf is a little short in length from back to front of the eye.  The eye on this one this head is a little crooked.  I'm a little worried it's going to twist with a wedge since the kerf isn't long enough to fill the eye like I normally would.  Since it's a hatchet it'll never do big work so I'm just going to do my best to hang it straight and I can fill in top gaps with extra wedging if I need to.  Won't effect function at all.  I just want it straight and solid. 

More to come so stay tuned...
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Re: Changing the ol WWII Plumb hatchet again...
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 10:22:17 AM »
We've seen pictures of 2 different shops & benches in the last few days, both obviously work well for their owners, but quite different in their arrangement! :lol:

I'll be watching over your shoulder, OE.....I covet that Plumb!  It looks to be in great shape. :thumbsup:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 04:27:14 AM »
That is a nice one. When I started reading I thought for sure you  were going with a little longer handle. Not sure why.I love my hatchets. That's a great little head.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline Sarge

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 07:13:02 AM »
Very cool, OE. Love that little Plumb and the hang is lookin' good.
"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 06:29:23 AM »
Alright I got it finished up and like how it turned out.  The eye filled enough that I'm not worried about anything moving.  The ergonomics and balance feel great.  I think this is the handle it will have for quite some time...

I forgot to take pics as I was finishing the handle so we are jumping straight to the hanging process.   One thing I've done differently the last few that I saw done on a guys youtube channel named bucking billy ray is after the whole wedge has seated with a large hammer or axe is to then proceed to seat it further with a smaller hammer.  The wedge will split but I'm finding the front of the eye has more wedge room to go down since it's thinner so I've beat em down pretty good.  It's working but wanted to share what it looks like.  Messy but looks good once you cut the excess off.

I got the edge straight though the bottom part of the eye was not straight. 

now the finished product

the profile on this one is just plain awesome.  It's a true joy to use.

(Yes that's bel fishing in the background off that little shed platform)  :)

Thanks for looking folks

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 10:03:28 AM »
Looks really good! :thumbsup:   Flame-hardened and BLO finish on the handle? :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 11:48:31 AM »
Did you, or maybe a previous owner, re-profile the blade?  I have a Plumb carpenter axe and the blade is much thicker.
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 12:16:40 PM »
Looks really good! :thumbsup:   Flame-hardened and BLO finish on the handle? :shrug:
  You are correct wolfy.  I'm not using a torch so it's a bit touchy to get the burn consistent for coloring.  I'm not there yet but it's fine for my taste. 

Did you, or maybe a previous owner, re-profile the blade?  I have a Plumb carpenter axe and the blade is much thicker.

Nope!  It's as it came.  It's a hidden gem I stumbled across.  They are old WWII military hatchets.  You can find them on ebay searching for "US hatchet"  or "US Plumb hatchet".  They are solid olive green, head and handle.  About 17" long.  They are really awesome.  This is the second one I've done.  Both were pretty much unused.  They are bargains usually around $25-40. 

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 07:44:18 PM »
That looks good. You may consider using a rasp on the top once you smash the wedge it. Seems to smooth it off pretty good for me usually. That is a keeper.

Creek
Axes Rock!