Author Topic: Crock pot/slow cooker liner in dutch oven on camp fire.  (Read 388 times)

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
Crock pot/slow cooker liner in dutch oven on camp fire.
« on: August 06, 2017, 09:48:04 PM »
This weekend DW and I attended the Pike River rendezvous, fur trade and rev war re-enactment.....just as guests this year.
Didn't bring the lodge or camp overnight.....

Did hang out with our Rodger's Rangers group...had pulled pork and with peach cobbler for supper.

The cook did both in dutch ovens....with slower cooker/crock pot liners.....on a open fire (was down to coals).

When done, just take out and toss what you don't want....no pots to clean...would  have never believed it as they looked like paper to me....
https://www.amazon.com/Reynolds-Slow-Cooker-Liners-4-Count/dp/B002U0KKK8
Quote>
About the product
12 packs of 4 count (48 total) slow cooker liners for 3 to 6.5 quart round or oval slow cookers
Strong and reliable - Holds in the heartiest ingredients without breaking or puncturing in the slow cooker
Mess free slow cooking ? Lines the slow cooker so there?s no baked on mess
Make clean up a snap ? No soaking or scrubbing, just throw away the liner once the meal is served
FDA compliant, BPA Free liners made of high temperature safe materials for cooking in slow cookers

This item's packaging will indicate what is inside. To cover it, select Ship in Amazon box on the checkout page.
<quote

Who would have thought?
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
Re: Crock pot/slow cooker liner in dutch oven on camp fire.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 10:07:23 PM »
Great tip, but I believe you can get them in any grocery store.  I know Publix and Kroger carry them.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline Dano

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 05:45:12 AM »
I've been wondering how well they work, and would like to try them on on a few recipes we'd normally not do in a dutch oven, like chili or higher acid foods.

Last time we camped, I made a version of the mountain man breakfast casserole in our 10" oven. A pretty bad storm blew up rather fast as we were packing so we had to pack the oven to bring home before I cleaned it. Anyway a few days passed before I could get to it and some of the patina came off, so I had to really scrub and reseason. I bet one of these liners would have prevented losing the patina...

Offline Orbean

• Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 06:38:37 PM »
That is a fantastic tip, thanks. I have also had to reseason my cast iron,  packing up in a hurry.
Nice matters

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 12:13:05 PM »
I've used them and they do make clean up a lot easier. I am not sure I'd use one for something like a soup or the like but for food with a thicker more solid consistency they are really nice.