Author Topic: Movies  (Read 356 times)

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
Movies
« on: January 14, 2018, 04:08:11 PM »
A couple of films I am looking forward to: 

Hostiles.. looks like a good western.

Twelve Strong, based on the book Horse Soldiers by  Doug Stanton.  .. A true story about 12 special forces soldiers that went to Afghanistan right after "911".. I read the book, liked it, because there were horses.  There is still a place in modern warfare for man's best friend, the horse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvTSsMKfL2c

Another book that I have not found just yet, is "Riders on the Storm", it is about the German horsemen in WWII.  The Germans used mounter infantry for a lot more than what appears in the "historical" record.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 04:21:06 PM by John Van Gelder »

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
Re: Movies
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 05:14:30 AM »
I will look these up, always looking for a good movie. Thanks
Nice matters

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 05:52:11 AM »
John it sounds like you are not looking for PeriscopeFilms, PF 74142. German artillery battery takes up position.
  Though you might like it.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener in a war

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 06:31:32 AM »
Unknown

During the recent stretch of really crappy weather I have been looking at any and all videos I can find about WWl & ll. 

I will see if I can find the one you mentioned.  The German 88s were a real scourge to the allied forces, when the German's designed a bigger heavier tank, the Tiger, they incorporated the 88 into that tank as the main gun, which would shoot through the armour on a Sherman, like it was card board.   

The battle of Beersheba, in 1917, has been of particular interest.  The most notable was an attack by the Australian Lighthorse, a mounted infantry unit. Their goal was to gain access to the city and secure the wells, which they needed for their horses and men.   The plan was, at a point just outside the range of the Turkish guns they would start a charge directly into the city, the Turks knowing that they were mounted infantry held their fire waiting for the Australians to dismount and take up their positions, the Turks were caught off guard, the Australians captured the town and secured the wells before they could be destroyed.     

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 10:58:18 AM »
My son saw Hostiles this weekend.  He said it wasn't all that good.  I will wait for it to show up on Netflix.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 11:14:18 AM »
I'll pick up the book " 12 Strong".  I haven't paid to go into a movie house in decades.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 11:33:51 AM »
Sometimes the best part of a movie is the preview.

Max

I think the book you will need to look for is "Horse Soldiers" 12 Strong was adapted from that..

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 11:35:36 AM »
Thanks John!
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 12:04:57 PM »
Max

If you read that book, you will recognise a theme.. That being we go places, Korea, SE Asia, Irag, Afghanistan, and initially do some good work, but leave or depart from what was working, before the job is done.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 03:48:39 PM »
Unknown

During the recent stretch of really crappy weather I have been looking at any and all videos I can find about WWl & ll. 

I will see if I can find the one you mentioned.  The German 88s were a real scourge to the allied forces, when the German's designed a bigger heavier tank, the Tiger, they incorporated the 88 into that tank as the main gun, which would shoot through the armour on a Sherman, like it was card board.   

The battle of Beersheba, in 1917, has been of particular interest.  The most notable was an attack by the Australian Lighthorse, a mounted infantry unit. Their goal was to gain access to the city and secure the wells, which they needed for their horses and men.   The plan was, at a point just outside the range of the Turkish guns they would start a charge directly into the city, the Turks knowing that they were mounted infantry held their fire waiting for the Australians to dismount and take up their positions, the Turks were caught off guard, the Australians captured the town and secured the wells before they could be destroyed.   

Summer to winter 2013 and probably longer while I was bed bound I spent most of my time watching world war documentaries and old westerns (also have seen most Zatoichi series on YT as well) Reading is a much better way for me to maintain any sort of retention on the details, so the time would have been better spent with books. After a few I started to notice that bias for the Allied point of view was often as not a bit over the top on many of the so-called fact based documentaries. That resulted in me looking into some of the revisionist research. I think such an approach is worthwhile. The Truth should be able to stand up to inquiry

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 06:53:10 AM »
Unknown

You are right, books are a better way to retain information. A lot of the documentaries on any of the wars is based on the information the researchers can find, which turns out to be "media" articles and news reels which all had a propaganda twist to them.  The best information comes from interviewing the people who were there, on both sides of the conflict.

There is some compelling evidence that Hitler was not quite the monster he was portrayed as, but his closest advisors were. 

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2018, 05:17:49 PM »
I also want to see the movie "Hostiles" when comes out and I did catch the movie "12 Strong" up in northern Georgia while visiting my parents last week. I read this USAF article and that sparked some interest in wanting to see the movie. I did enjoy the movie and have had the book "Horse Soldiers" on the book shelf for probably 6 years and haven't touched it yet.
http://www.24sow.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/976396/first-airmen-in-afghanistan-americas-response-to-terror-attacks/

Another book that I have not found just yet, is "Riders on the Storm", it is about the German horsemen in WWII.  The Germans used mounter infantry for a lot more than what appears in the "historical" record.

Could the book have been called: Riders of the Apocalypse: German Cavalry and Modern Warfare, 1870-1945
https://www.amazon.com/Riders-Apocalypse-Cavalry-Warfare-1870-1945/dp/1612510868
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2018, 08:08:32 PM »
only the dead have seen the end of war (plato)
war is a racket, gen smedley butler USMC, 2 time medal of honer recipient.

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2018, 06:41:37 AM »
 greyhound352

I still think it was Riders on the Storm, but the web page were where I found the article about the book, has since expired.  I have this book, and even have one of the M35 saddles in good condition.  I don't ride it any more, It weighs 22 pounds, I found a nice GP saddle that weighs 8.  Anything I can do to cut down the load on my "little brother"

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2018, 07:59:36 AM »
I was doing some research on the book you mentioned and couldn't find anything. The saddle you have sounds cool.

I have an earlier marked US canvas water / feed bag that my grandfather had in one of his barns up in Michigan. There is also a bit that has been with the bag. I was told they were from the US Cavalry but have looked into verifying that info.
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2018, 03:14:39 PM »
Ah, the man himself. Nice. Even though I don't have a horse, there is something cool about military tack. ( is that the right word) Other than some U.S. What I've seen is Swiss. Things like saddle bags, pack saddles, even baskets. I like their leather work and imagine the German examples were very similar.

What about the movie War Horse? I remember only seeing 1,2 adverts for it, X years ago. Not really a movie goer so...looked a couple times on Netflix with no luck. The trailer had some exciting scenes that caught my eye. Other than that it may be more of a sentimentalist tear-jerk style

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2018, 08:00:04 AM »
I belong to the society of the military horse, haven't done much with that. We discussed the WWll german horse equipment which there was a great deal of..

This is the saddle I have and as you can see some folks are still using them.. http://www.taunusreiter.de/WR_Armeesattel.html

The saddle is completely modular and easily repaired with out any tools. One of my favourite examples of a saddle is the Universal Pattern Saddle, which was used by the British army for a very long time.  Also very simple and easily repaired by the troopers.

My least favourite military saddle is the McClellan saddle. 

Over time I have tried a lot of the saddle types, I started off thinking that the typical western saddle was the best option and unless you are working cattle, and have the need to "dally" off a 1200# steer, the western saddle is not the best choice for the back woods rider. And they are too heavy, my fully set up western rig weighs 52#.  The best back country saddle, is the Australian stock saddle, it is secure for the rider, it is light, has a big seat for those that have "the need of a big seat", and comes in at an average of 18#, remarkably the same weight as my good Steuben Dressage saddle.  Which in turn was the issue saddle for the RCMP, back before they gave up the horse for general duty.   

As the endurance riders say it is not the kilometres that kill your horse it is the kilograms.

I for a time after retiring from the Troopers in Alaska I dabbled with the thought of going back to Australia and trying to get on with the South Australia state police, since they still had a mounted unit then.  And I was a much younger man.. There was a time when I could spring up on a 17h horse, now I need to coax my pal over to a stump, some times it is good to climb aboard with nothing but a hand full of mane, and have a stroll around the pasture.

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2018, 07:34:03 AM »
Max

If you read that book, you will recognise a theme.. That being we go places, Korea, SE Asia, Irag, Afghanistan, and initially do some good work, but leave or depart from what was working, before the job is done.
we go into things with no idea of what we want to accomplish, and no end game.  Been that way since the Spanish American War.

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2018, 08:51:14 AM »
Mannlicher

Some of that my be human nature, since the Romans did the same thing.