Author Topic: R-U keeping warm  (Read 1385 times)

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
R-U keeping warm
« on: January 15, 2018, 05:38:07 PM »
for two weeks now were getting artic blasts, my new hobby is filling the stove.
this week i'll only go out to feed and water the animals and check mail.
alol week it's supposed to be between 20&40 below zero.
winter bites. so how you keeping warm.wood propane electric?

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
Re: R-U keeping warm
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 06:29:43 PM »
I reckon you would be relieved here. 18F now. Might be 6-7 at sunrise.

Propane. w/ 2 electric oil heaters. Next year I'm going to kibosh those space heaters. :fire2:
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 08:48:59 PM »
    Our high today was -9F* and we are headed for -28F* tonight with a projected wind chill of -48*F for those that have to be outside. Precautions for livestock is advised.
    For those of you that don't live in real cold climates, we have something called off peak heating. Our electric supplier can kill our electric heat if the load on their resources becomes to high. We are then forced to use a back-up heating system. They use a kind of rolling load control so that no one has to go more than 4 hours without heat. That's the theory anyway. We have been without electric heat for as long as 4 days. I called them up and asked if they forgot about us and within an hour or so the electric heat was back on. I think they had an oops moment for a few days.
   The incentive for using off-peak heating is a reduction in the cost of electricity used for heating. There are two electric meters. One for total electrical usage and another for measuring the amount of electricity used just for electric heat. Now, don't get angry, I don't set the rates. Our full rate is .10/KWh and the off-peak rate for electric heating is .056/KWh. I paid more than that back in the 1970's to Virginia Power and Electric in Virginia Beach.
   We use a fuel oil furnace as our primary back-up for off peak heating. But it requires electricity for the igniter and the air handling fan. In the event of a full electrical failure due to an ice storm or some other failure, we have a 6KW back-up generator. We use about 50 gallons of fuel oil per year. We also have a propane system that requires no electricity and will heat most of the house to a comfortable temperature. It has a 250 gallon tank. It was filled once when we bought it 20 years ago and once since.
   We also have a kerosene heater for heating hot water and one pot cooking if we need it. And then there's the catalytic heaters (3 of them) if things go really bad. We have two 20 pound tanks and assorted 1 pounders when things start to get desperate.
   We have a wood stove too. That is not set up in the house. We're talkin' EMP or another Carrington event before we resort to that. There is only a face cord of seasoned wood set aside for that.
   So.... are we keeping warm? Yup :banana:

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 03:43:45 AM »
I'm going camping in a few days.  So campfire and clothes.  LOL.  At home we have a space heater in the bathroom and one in the living room.  Our house has tremendous insulation.  Here in FL it warms up during the day and the space heaters work for our infrequent 20's nights.  The fireplace makes it very cozy.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 04:14:59 AM »
when i got up this morning the wood stove died down
and the inside temp was at 59 degrees. it reall felt colder.
that was about 4am. turned on the baseboard heat.
and got the wood stove going, it's getting warmer now
at 5am.thank goodness the bed room is toasty.
as i keep a electric oil radiator in there.
the wood going quicker than i thought, wind chill about -40below.
up here wool lined slippers don't cut it.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 06:31:34 AM »
We have a down comforter. It works quite well, but it's not 100% down. I can tell it's got a few feathers in there.

I saw an ad- how they knew what I was thinking, don't know. Went to a page with a menu to pick out your quilt. Oh, eider down- haven't seen that term for years. Click. 1000 fill power. Click. Queen size, picked #2 as the comfort/ temp rating= in the middle. Add to cart.  >:(  it was just under $9000.

Decided to take old comforter to the cleaners. 51F  inside at4am. 7* outside. Now 72  >:D turn off the burn for awhile. Time to whittle on a hatchet helve until sun gets a bit higher.

There are much, much cheaper down quilts and sure are nice when it's cold inside too
                                                  -Unknown

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 06:49:26 AM »
$900?

Our wood stove was almost glowing red and the propane furnace still kicked on. It was -30 that night. still been -10 at night. All weekend my wife and I do shifts so she can catch up on her sleep. I work nights and she won't let the furnace kick on because she's cheap.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 07:24:18 AM »
No. The figure was between eight-thousand-five-hundred dollars and nine-thousand dollars for queen size with 1000 fill down.

I didn't look at any with a bit more average fill power down.  I would guess 3-500 bucks.

If I lived in a cold climate I'd be looking at raising some downy geese.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 08:13:04 AM »
A balmy -18F here this morning at 8:00 AM.  Low was -20F at 6:00 AM.  I am going out to check the stock water tanks.   :fire1:

:) and they were just fine. 
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 01:10:56 PM by wsdstan »
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 09:22:34 AM »
Our home had a new Trane heat pump/air conditioner unit installed 2 years before we moved into it 28 years ago.  According to their service technician, who was here to install a faulty relay switch in the outside unit, it is now the oldest one they've sold.  So like the manufacturer says, it's true, "Nothing stops a Trane".......knock on wood!   Aside from that, we have an electric fireplace in our basement family room where we watch movies and read.  The only backup we have is a couple of the big kerosene convection heaters to keep the pipes from freezing in the event of a power outage.  The house was the first one built in our hometown with 'super insulated' walls and ceilings, so we're OK...........I think/hope. :shrug:
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 09:05:07 AM by wolfy »
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 04:19:14 PM »
-17 C... that's like 1 deg F? Cold. Staying warm with natural gas and snuggling with momma...
What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline John Van Gelder

• Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 06:53:01 AM »
My daytime temps have been in the 40-50+ range, most of my snow is gone, the meadows are greening up and I am thinking about putting the brush hog on my tractor to clean up my pastures.

I talked with my daughter who lives just outside of Baton Rouge, and it was snowing with a wind chill factor of 16F.

After last winter I am glad for the break.   

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2018, 10:16:22 AM »
-21 F here yesterday, 20F this morning and headed for somewhere in the 40's.  Whoopee!
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2018, 10:47:42 AM »
Yeah, it's been below zero here, for so long now, that zero would seem like a heat wave. :fire2:

I think they said that it will get into the 40s......even 50s  :shocked:  by the weekend!! :banana:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2018, 10:56:43 AM »
I just read that in eastern Russia the temperature hit a -86F yesterday.  I ain't gonna gripe about -21 anymore.  They also said that in 2013 it got down to a -98F in this area of Russia.   :-X
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 03:12:01 PM by wsdstan »
(Mark Twain)

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2018, 01:08:15 PM »
-98F! That's ridonculous! My cousin lived in South Dakota a while. He said once the temp gets 20 or 30 below zero, its just a number...

I think it got down to 4F overnight and is still at 13F right now. That is crazy cold for us. Oh and we got a whole inch of snow yesterday afternoon which has virtually shut down everything in the city. We typically only have a handful of days in the teens and/or single digits over the entire winter. We've already had a handful this winter and it's just mid-January.

We've  got a heat pump and supplement with a wood burning stove... thankful for that ol' stove. A motor in heat pump died on New Year's Eve and it was January 2nd before we could get a new motor. Of course it was in the teens those two days and nights.
"In the school of the woods, there is no graduation day."  Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2018, 01:24:14 PM »
I just read that in eastern Russia the temperature hit a -86F yesterday.  I ain't gonna gripe about -21 anymore.  They also said that in 2013 it got down to a -98F in this area.   :-X

I heard that on the local noon news today......they also noted that the -98 degree temperature in that little Siberian village is the coldest temperature, outside of Antarctica, ever recorded on earth. :fire2:

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2018, 03:08:56 PM »
I was camping in 14F last weekend.  That was plenty cold for this Florida boy.

Offline John Van Gelder

• Water Stone
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2018, 12:31:50 PM »
crashdive123

I had a friend of mine form the Northern Territory in Australia visit me when I lived in Alaska, we flew into the base of the Little Susitna glacier where we set up our camp, it was October and just lovely in the Alaskan bush.  Then one night a cold front came through and the temperature dropped down to  10F.   Our guest was quite impressed, since he had never seen temperatures that cold.

I worked up on the North Slope of Alaska doing security on the Alaska Pipeline during the first gulf war, after I retired form the State Troopers.  It was winter and -50F was pretty common.  I worked graveyard shift, and one morning as I was getting back to the housing unit,  It had warmed up to +10F, the sun was shining and there were a bunch of guys out in the parking lot playing softball in their T-shirts... It's all in what you get used to.