Author Topic: The Wildlife Thread  (Read 129699 times)

Offline John Van Gelder

• Water Stone
Re: The Wildlife Thread
« Reply #600 on: January 14, 2018, 07:24:09 AM »
Here are some "guys" that hung around for the best part of a week, last summer. 

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #601 on: January 14, 2018, 09:18:11 AM »
Nice neighbors, John!  :cheers:

I missed some good shots day before yesterday.  I was up the mountain visiting an acquaintance and ran into a herd of 18 whitetails. There I sat with a dead battery in my camera.  :-\
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Offline John Van Gelder

• Water Stone
« Reply #602 on: January 14, 2018, 11:58:35 AM »
I frequently miss good shots due to a severe lack of camera... Out on the morning patrol, it was just lovely, most of the snow is gone the high meadows are greening up and the sun was shining, I looked down into the big canyon below my ridge and it was full of clouds..

The elk seem to get on just fine with my horses.

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
« Reply #603 on: January 16, 2018, 04:32:17 PM »
Beautiful animals. Wish we had them around here...
What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline John Van Gelder

• Water Stone
« Reply #604 on: January 16, 2018, 07:01:13 PM »
kanukkarhu

I sure like seeing them, I had a discussion with five cows that were chasing one of my dogs one morning, they are really neat animals.  The cows are in charge of herd security, sneaking up on a big bull is not that difficult if you can get past the cows.  A few year back, before I built my hay barn, I had to make due with out door hay stacks, there was one old cow elk that would come and eat out of the stack, and "heaven" help the dog that though he would run her off.

Life is good in the mountains... ;)

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
« Reply #605 on: January 16, 2018, 08:51:20 PM »
kanukkarhu

I sure like seeing them, I had a discussion with five cows that were chasing one of my dogs one morning, they are really neat animals.  The cows are in charge of herd security, sneaking up on a big bull is not that difficult if you can get past the cows.  A few year back, before I built my hay barn, I had to make due with out door hay stacks, there was one old cow elk that would come and eat out of the stack, and "heaven" help the dog that though he would run her off.

Life is good in the mountains... ;)
Sounds like the life! They're beautiful critters and you're lucky to be neighbours with them, I think.

KK
What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline John Van Gelder

• Water Stone
« Reply #606 on: January 17, 2018, 06:43:31 AM »
I have white tail deer mule deer and elk coming and going in and out of my horse pastures.  The only ones that ever knock my fence down are the mule deer, they are just not graceful.

Last week while out on my morning stroll, I saw a bald eagle working one of the big meadows, I usually do not see them up this far. 

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #607 on: January 17, 2018, 12:39:16 PM »

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #608 on: January 18, 2018, 12:02:29 AM »
I have white tail deer mule deer and elk coming and going in and out of my horse pastures.  The only ones that ever knock my fence down are the mule deer, they are just not graceful....
Mule Deer: "Four-legged carp".  The saying goes, "You are what you eat.", and mule deer taste like pine needles, IMO.  :lol:

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #609 on: January 18, 2018, 12:03:05 AM »
Nice one, Crash!

Offline John Van Gelder

• Water Stone
« Reply #610 on: January 18, 2018, 07:06:09 AM »
On one of my hunting outings in the Northern Territory in Australia, I was working my way along a waterway, lots of very tall grass, just over the top of the grass I could see the top 1/3 off a white egret. The bird was moving, most birds when they walk there is a certain amount of head movement, this fellow was pretty much motionless except for the horizontal motion, I watched for a few minutes, as the bird was headed toward a break in the grass.  The bird was not moving a lot because he was perched on the back of a water buffalo.   

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #611 on: January 18, 2018, 09:08:47 AM »
We had a closeup encounter with a Pileated Woodpecker yesterday.
We have a hanging basket outside the front window that we never took down with the approach of winter. I have been scattering wild bird feed in it to help the sparrows, chickadees and collard doves. Yesterday we caught some movement and found a Pileated Woodpecker munching away, less than two feet from the glass. He didn't hang around long enough for me to get a pic of him, but it was quite a surprise.

Just to illustrate how rough the winter has been for birds around here, we've now had two different species of woodpecker visiting out bird feeders. Something I've never seen in over a decade.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #612 on: January 18, 2018, 09:26:44 AM »
That's GREAT, Ol'P......I've only seen ONE Pileated Woodpecker in my entire lifetime!  We don't have them around here, but on a canoe trip up in the BWCAW, my brother and I saw one destroying an old & rotted, but still standing pine tree.  He reminded me of a jackhammer with wings.....big hunks of bark and wood were flying in all directions. :chopwood:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline John Van Gelder

• Water Stone
« Reply #613 on: January 18, 2018, 01:24:37 PM »
I see the big wood peckers on an almost daily basis, which is not a good thing, they are working the trees infested with timber beetles.

Nice to see them, but not for the reason they are so plentiful here..!

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #614 on: January 18, 2018, 02:05:34 PM »
We've got big ones and little ones here. Woodpeckers. They are cool. Cartoon Woody, not too far from what they sound like lol.
 I'm not sure I like seeing them pecking on some of my favorite trees though.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener in a war