Author Topic: Just one edge...a Machete??  (Read 20098 times)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
Re: Just one edge...a Machete??
« Reply #100 on: January 14, 2018, 08:54:54 AM »
somehow,  I just can't buy into the "just one blade" silliness.   I have never, EVER gone afield with a single sharp.
Agreed. I believe nearly every machete-phile still carries a small belt knife, or folder. I know I do.
I think the gist of this discussion has to do with machete vs. hatchet vs. ax vs. kukuri, etc.
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #101 on: January 14, 2018, 10:53:13 AM »
somehow,  I just can't buy into the "just one blade" silliness.   I have never, EVER gone afield with a single sharp.
Agreed. I believe nearly every machete-phile still carries a small belt knife, or folder. I know I do.
I think the gist of this discussion has to do with machete vs. hatchet vs. ax vs. kukuri, etc.
I couldn't help, but notice the glaring absence of the ubiquitous CORN KNIFE in that list. 8)
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #102 on: January 14, 2018, 11:01:02 AM »

Machete - phile?!?!   You make it sound so... dirty.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #103 on: January 14, 2018, 11:56:59 AM »
Going afield with a single sharp beats two dulls most times.
 It's more of a mental health exercise to help focus in on what is really important, and even at that pretty hard to do.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener in a war

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #104 on: January 14, 2018, 12:06:21 PM »
I couldn't help, but notice the glaring absence of the ubiquitous CORN KNIFE in that list. 8)
LOL! It's only ubiquitous in Corn Country. But I fished, hunted and camped in Nebraska for 4 years and never saw one. :shrug:
I'm guessing it would fall under the "kukuri, etc." category.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #105 on: January 14, 2018, 12:08:30 PM »

Machete - phile?!?!   You make it sound so... dirty.
I had to distinguish between those who favor the machete, and the machetephobic people. ;)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #106 on: January 14, 2018, 12:10:22 PM »
LOL! It's only ubiquitous in Corn Country. But I fished, hunted and camped in Nebraska for 4 years and never saw one. :shrug:
I'm guessing it would fall under the "kukuri, etc." category.

You were VERY lucky! :lol:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
« Reply #107 on: January 16, 2018, 04:50:44 PM »
Now THIS brings back memories! What great discussions we had! And I was always right, too... ;)

It's interesting to see this thread again.
What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #108 on: January 16, 2018, 06:18:20 PM »
Nice to see a post from you Kanukkarhu.  You been gone awhile I think.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
« Reply #109 on: January 16, 2018, 08:49:21 PM »
Nice to see a post from you Kanukkarhu.  You been gone awhile I think.
Thanks. I've been lurking... checking in when I have time. Trying to get back into things... it's harder to do than one might think.

KK
What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline John Van Gelder

• Water Stone
« Reply #110 on: January 17, 2018, 07:25:39 AM »
If you look at machetes there are a lot of variations on that theme, they are definitely use oriented.  I have a long Gerber, with the saw teeth on the back of the blade that is pretty useful. 

The problem with this length is that if you cut enough heavy wooden material, it sets up a vibration in the blade which will work harden the metal and cause it to break at the vibration node. The long blade works very well for cutting grasses, weeds, thistles and that sort of thing.  If you are cutting a lot of heavy stuff then something more like this will work better..

As with anything else..the right tool for the job..

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #111 on: January 18, 2018, 12:06:08 AM »
If you look at machetes there are a lot of variations on that theme, they are definitely use oriented.  I have a long Gerber, with the saw teeth on the back of the blade that is pretty useful. 

The problem with this length is that if you cut enough heavy wooden material, it sets up a vibration in the blade which will work harden the metal and cause it to break at the vibration node. The long blade works very well for cutting grasses, weeds, thistles and that sort of thing.  If you are cutting a lot of heavy stuff then something more like this will work better..

As with anything else..the right tool for the job..

Offline John Van Gelder

• Water Stone
« Reply #112 on: January 18, 2018, 06:58:11 AM »
OP

No joke I have cut trees with a 12 ga. I needed to take the top out of a tree one time and I had a surplus of old buck shot that I wanted to use up..at the moment it was the right tool for the job.