Author Topic: MOST POPULAR GEAR OPTIONS FOR 2017  (Read 1544 times)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
MOST POPULAR GEAR OPTIONS FOR 2017
« on: January 20, 2018, 11:56:44 AM »
I found this kind of interesting and thought some of you, that have had experience with some of them, might chime in and give us your $.02-worth, too......

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2018/01/18/the-best-camping-gear-and-emergency-preparedness-items-on-amazon-according-to-you/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=2018-01-20&utm_campaign=Weekly+Newsletter:shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline lgm

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
Re: MOST POPULAR GEAR OPTIONS FOR 2017
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 01:23:54 PM »
I can speak to a few,
I have the sawyer mini water filter and like it for its size and versatility I used in the BWCA . On that same trip the most popular filter was the life straw. Both seam to work well.
The Mora is as we all know a fine knife. Some might not like it but that doesn't mean it's not good.
I have a polor water bottle, found it on a backpack trip if memory serves,  looked new then. It is good enough, my daughter layed clam to it.
I have used mountain house meals a few times on backpacking trips, don't want to pay for or eat them daily but I will buy them again,  most say "2 servings " not after a day of hiking.
Swiss army knife is like the Mora, it just works & every outdoors man should own at least one.
What a great day to be outside.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 04:02:26 PM »
I have used an MSR fuel bottle for a long long time.  It has never been a problem.

Mora kniv, of course, who hasn't used one?  I know I know there are some who detest them.

Carabiners are about as handy an item as you can take on a camping trip or outing.  Hang stuff up, hold stuff together, you name it and the carabiner can do it.

Solar showers work great if you are in a camp long enough for the water to heat up.

I had that very water jug and it lasted about ten years.

Freeze dry meals were about all we took on long high altitude hikes back in the days of our youth.

Swiss Army knives are probably okay but I will take a Buck 110.

Fire starter rods give you something to do with all the pieces of antler you have laying around the shop.

Seam Grip works well on neoprene and on nylon material for sealing seams and making a rip waterproof when you sew it up.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 06:57:13 PM »
I have used several of the items listed and will speak only to what I have personally used...........

Life Straw - I'm still kicking and have had no ill affects.

Sawyer Mini - same as above.

Permetherin - OK, I have not used this exact brand, but permetherin is permetherin.  It is great for treating clothing and keeping the ticks at bay.  I have used it on my hammock and netting as well with good results.  I cannot speak to its efficacy after washing.

Mora - I'm sure we all have our opinions.  I like the ones I own.

Hammocks from Amazon vendors - be careful.  I have picked up a couple of different brands (11ft, double wide) from two different sellers and both stretched excessively.  I picked up on of the double wides from Walmart and had no issues with stretching.

Toilet seat.  It was a life saver for me in the 14 temps I experienced last week camping.  It is also a lifesave in that Mrs. Crash is much happier getting up in the middle of the night and not having to squat next to a bush to pee.

Aqua Tainer - I have 8.  They are great, but the spouts will deteriorate over time.  A simple fix is to make your own PVC spout or use a brass one that fits.  Personally I like my homemade PVC better.  A simple 1/2" PVC plug works great when not in use.

Mountain House.  Some good, some bad.  Sodium might be too high for some.  I like it as a back-up and in my E kits.

Stove - Mine is similar (Coleman F1)  works great.

MSR fuel bottle - I currently have two.  Never leaked.

Swiss Army Knife - don't leave home without it.

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 10:42:20 AM »
Toilet seat, i have and will continue to use, i do use contractor trash bags and kitty litter.

MSR fuel bottles, have always used so i do not know what a bag one would be, they have always worked well.

Permetherin, i use often when in  tick country

Reliance Aqua tainer, have two or three around. Have been using them since high school.

Mt House, i buy it in the #10 of entres that i have previously eaten and liked. Chili mac, chicken a la king, and chicken and rice are favorites. Beware eating Mt House too long. Gives me the runs if i eat it more than three days plus
Nice matters

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 02:21:21 PM »
I just went through the list to see what I've used and been satisfied with.......

I have a couple of Mora Companions that seem to be well worth what I paid for them.  Since I find Scandi-ground blades somewhat wanting when it comes to kitchen use, I don't use them much.  I just think Opinels work much better for food prep.  Moras ARE a heck of a whittler for tent pegs, notches and such.....I just don't make many tentpegs these days.

I have an OLD Sigg fuel bottle that keeps on keepin' on, even though it is dented and pretty crumby lookin'.  I have replaced the gasket on the lid twice in the last 50 or so, years.

Ferro rods.....have several, not that one.  I don't see much difference in any of them that I have.

Since you guys approve of them, I need to buy a LifeStraw, or two.....one for me, one for Heather.  That other one with the attached bag looks good, too.  I'll probably buy one of those, also.  I doubt that I can even buy filters for the one I have anymore. 

Mountain House meals......always have when I've had to. :-\

Aqua-tainer jugs....yup!

Carabiners......I stocked up when Wilderbeast was still here.  I don't think I'll EVER need any more paracord, either. :lol:

Swiss Army Knives......yup, I like 'em. :thumbsup:

Permethrin......use it, but not that one.

The rest of the stuff on the list, I have no firsthand experience with. :shrug:

Offline lgm

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 03:51:55 PM »
The only carabiners I think are worth the weight are the ones rated for climbing. Having said that I do use 2 very small key chain ones for my tarp.
What a great day to be outside.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 04:27:10 PM »
The only carabiners I think are worth the weight are the ones rated for climbing. Having said that I do use 2 very small key chain ones for my tarp.
Lgm, I just checked the specs on those carabiners that the 'beast was selling @ $25/6....they are rated for climbing. With the gate in the closed position, 5,395 lbf.  Good'nuff fer me. ;D

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 08:25:21 AM »
I bought two sets of nite ize key chain carabiners. one set is plastic the other stainless steel. very small very strong. I use them setting up my tarp and hanging stuff around the campsite.

https://www.niteize.com/product/S-Biner-KeyRack-Steel.asp

https://www.niteize.com/product/S-Biner-KeyRack.asp
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.