Author Topic: NEBRASKA: IT'S NOT TOO BAD  (Read 81267 times)

Offline diogenes

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Water Stone
  • Winding down.
Re: NEBRASKA: IT'S NOT TOO BAD
« Reply #250 on: June 27, 2015, 12:29:52 PM »
You sure have a pretty state there, wolfy. Do you know any of the spots shown between 0:24 and 0:36?
"Go away," Chuang Tzu said. "I'm dragging my tail in the mud."

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #251 on: June 27, 2015, 01:00:21 PM »
You can be a Capt. In our Navy. ;)
wolfy can be Grand Poobah and I will keep the riff raff out , (or in )

LOL...Deal

Wolfy, that's some illustrious company you share that title with  :cheers:

Well Gentlemen... I tried, seems that for some reason Nebraska is not to be admitted to the BnB Union, but have no fear I shall con't to read this thread as though it had it's own Forum and look forward to continuing to learn about this Great State... :cheers:
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #252 on: June 27, 2015, 07:56:27 PM »
You sure have a pretty state there, wolfy. Do you know any of the spots shown between 0:24 and 0:36?

Those are pretty short 'glimpses' there, but at :24, I believe that is in the Courthouse & Jailhouse Rock area, immediately following is Chimney Rock (the famous landmark on the overland trail), then the Niobrara & Snake River Canyons are shown.  Snake River Falls is immediately above the portion of the Snake that is considered to be one of the top National Blue Ribbon Trout Streams and the Niobrara River is considered to be one of the TOP TEN canoeing rivers in the nation.  The bigger river, I am not quite certain of because of the short flash of video, but it's probably the Missouri.  The grasslands blowing in the wind are typical of the Sandhills Region.  Purty, ain't it?

EDIT: Upon re-examination, that picture of the small falls may be the Berry Falls.....just upriver on the Niobrara River from Smith Falls which is the highest falls in the state. :shrug:
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 11:07:54 AM by wolfy »
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #253 on: June 27, 2015, 08:04:05 PM »

Well Gentlemen... I tried, seems that for some reason Nebraska is not to be admitted to the BnB Union, but have no fear I shall con't to read this thread as though it had it's own Forum and look forward to continuing to learn about this Great State... :cheers:

the B&B Union......we NEBRASKANS don't need no steenkin' Badges! :soap:

Offline Fink

• Whetstone +
« Reply #254 on: July 02, 2015, 12:20:12 AM »
My wife, son and myself are looking for a place to live in Nebraska but my credit is Crap and none of the places we have applied to have accepted our app to rent. I work for a trucking company in Omaha and I run containers to the port of Oakland everyweek and backhaul wine back to Denver and deadhead back to Omaha. It's been frustrating to say the least. My son stays with a family friend in Arkansas and we have been on the truck since last November. We keep praying something will turn up. We get to see our son every six weeks cause it's costly to go back home cause I am a lease contractor. Living up in Nebraska would be great cause I could take my 34 hour resets at home instead of the truck and I could see my son and wife too. It really is depressing at the moment.

Sent from my SCH-I535PP using Tapatalk

Truckin ain't for sissies!

Offline lgm

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #255 on: August 02, 2015, 08:43:49 AM »
A bit of interesting history I did not know.
http://www.historynet.com/two-gun-hart-the-prohibition-cowboy.htm

Worth the read.
What a great day to be outside.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #256 on: August 02, 2015, 09:01:06 AM »
A bit of interesting history I did not know.
http://www.historynet.com/two-gun-hart-the-prohibition-cowboy.htm

Worth the read.
\\

Yes, it is worth the read.
:)

Thanks for the share!
:thumbsup:

I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline lgm

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #257 on: August 02, 2015, 05:07:50 PM »
You are very welcome, glad you liked it. Here is another bit of history people might not know.
http://www.visitcolumbusne.com/index.php/interior-pages/andrew-jackson-higgins-memorial/

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #258 on: August 02, 2015, 05:36:19 PM »
Thanks again... Checking it out right now.

I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #259 on: August 02, 2015, 06:02:31 PM »
I have read quite a few renditions of the story of ol' Two Gun Hart and that was, as far as I know, about as close to the truth as any I've read. :thumbsup:    He was pretty famous in the area surrounding my hometown and I remember Dad telling me about him when I was just a kid.  One of my best friend's father was our County Sheriff for many years and was part and parcel to some of those raids that were talked about in the article.....most of them within a 20 mile radius of here.  Wild & wooly days, to be sure!

I've seen the Higgins memorial in Columbus and meant to get some pictures on our last trip through there, but I didn't have the camera with me.  BTW, I did find the camera again......it was in the console of my truck, under an old plat map book. :-[

Many thanks to lgm for bringing those two very interesting and noteworthy  articles to the attention of the forum members! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #260 on: August 02, 2015, 06:17:29 PM »
Very Cool! lgm!
:thumbsup:

Thanks again for sharing some history! & from Neb. to boot!
;)

I need to visit there again, if only to give Wolfy a scare that I might be somewhere in his neighborhood.
LOL
;D

Offline lgm

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #261 on: August 03, 2015, 06:02:26 PM »
Shameless copied from the web.

A Message from the Rural Midwest

Because of misunderstandings that frequently develop when Easterners and Californians cross the 12 Midwestern States (Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin) the Tourism Councils in those states have adopted a new policy. In an effort to help outsiders understand the rural Midwesterner?s mind, the following list will be handed to each person as they enter any Midwestern State.

1. That slope-shouldered farm boy did more work before breakfast than you do all week at the gym.

2. It?s called a ?gravel road.? No matter how slow you drive, you?re going to get dust on your BMW X-what the #####. I have a four wheel drive because I need it. Either drive yours or get it out of the way.

3. Any references to ?corn fed? when talking about our women will get you whipped?by our women? and you won?t enjoy it.

4. Go ahead and bring your $600 Orvis Fly Rod. Don?t cry to us if a flathead breaks it off at the handle. We have a name for those little 13-inch trout you fish for ? we call them ?bait?.

5. Pull your pants up. You look like an idiot.

6. If that cell phone rings while a bunch of mallards are making their final approach, we will shoot it. You might hope you don?t have it up to your ear at the time.

7. No, there?s no ?Vegetarian Special? on the menu. Order steak. Order it rare. Or, you can order the Chef?s Salad and pick off the two pounds of ham, turkey, and cheese. Yeah, we have sweet tea. It comes in a glass with two packets of sugar and a long spoon.

8. No, we don?t eat too much here, we just know how to eat. Our men don?t get big and strong here by chewing on organic celery sticks while drinking a chai tea latte. They grow up big and strong by eating their mama?s home-made meat loaf, real mashed potatoes with gravy, corn on the cob from their garden, home-made biscuits, followed off by a few slices of home-made apple pie made with apples from the orchard and a big healthy glass of whole milk from our award winning dairy cows. As to how we work off what we eat, see #1 above.

9. You bring Coke into my house, it had better be brown, wet, and served over ice.

10. So you have a sixty thousand dollar car. We?re real impressed. We have quarter of a million dollar combines that we use two weeks a year.

11. Let?s get this straight. We have one stoplight in town. We stop when it?s red. We may even stop when it?s yellow.

12. Our women hunt, fish, and drive trucks?because they want to. So, you?re a feminist. Isn?t that cute.

13. Yeah, we eat catfish and turtle. You really want sushi and caviar? It?s available at the bait shop.

14. They are pigs. That?s what they smell like. Get over it. Don?t like it? Interstate 40 goes two ways?Interstate 35 goes the other two. Pick one and use it accordingly.

15. So every person in every pickup waves. It?s called being friendly. Understand the concept?

16. Yeah, we have golf courses. Don?t hit in the water hazards. It spooks the fish.

17. That State Trooper that just pulled you over for driving like an idiot?his name is ?Sir??no matter how old he is.

18. You may think that we?re boring people because most of us are farmers, but you?d better stop to think where most of your food comes from first. Didn?t your mama ever tell you it?s not polite to talk with your mouth full? We work hard here to provide our country with the food and dairy it needs to feed it?s people. In other words, we?re too busy working to listen to you whine and complain. And by the way, we?re not boring ? just come into one of our local taverns on a Friday night and we?ll show you our idea of a good time. Oh, better not plan anything for Saturday or Sunday. You?ll need that long to recuperate from Friday night if you?re going to keep up with the locals.

19. No that is not Bambi standing in that corn field. It is a deer and yes, we shoot them and eat them here. You want low-fat meat? Nothing better than a lean venison steak. Don?t like the fact that we shoot them? Try to remember that the next time one runs across the road from out of nowhere and it does $15,000 damage to your $60,000 BMW?er.

20. Cheese is it?s own food group and yes, it goes with anything ? even apple pie.

Have an Nice Mid-West Day;-)

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
Nice matters

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #263 on: September 05, 2015, 09:12:42 PM »
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/byu-stuns-nebraska-on-hail-mary-with-no-time-left-to-win-33-28-234324033.html

Hey wolfy , I hope it did not hurt too much  >:D
Heather & I were up in Vermillion, SD at Bunyan's eating a walleye basket and having a lemonade while watching the end of the game on the big screen TV.  This is what we both looked like after that last second ticked off the clock....... :shocked: :shocked:

It was a good game, though. :shrug:

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #264 on: September 05, 2015, 09:17:03 PM »
Yes it was, my uncle lives in outside of Colby Ks is a huge Nebraska fan. I had to send him an email.  >:D  My team NMSU provides him with plenty to give me a hard time about.  :(
Nice matters

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #265 on: September 06, 2015, 09:46:55 PM »
The final play caused me to cheer and feel bad at the same time.  Snatching defeat from the jaws victory does it every time. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline lgm

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #266 on: September 12, 2015, 11:34:34 PM »
Better game tonight, and I was there to see it.  :banana:

Offline diogenes

• Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #267 on: October 14, 2015, 10:13:36 PM »
I'll just put this here. Beautiful places.

http://www.pmags.com/nebraska-panhandle-rambles
"Go away," Chuang Tzu said. "I'm dragging my tail in the mud."

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #268 on: October 14, 2015, 11:07:55 PM »
More nice photos, Sean!   I don't know if you read any of the comments at the end or not, but Ian Frazier's book, GREAT PLAINS was mentioned.   I found a used library copy on eBay for $4 w/free shipping.....well worth seeking out at the library if you can find it there, but it's a 'coffee table' book with a lot of cool photography in it, so it's big & heavy and consequently, not real easy to read.

THANKS for the post! :)

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #269 on: October 15, 2015, 09:08:13 AM »
I never thought of Neb looking like those pics in the panhandle link.... pretty cool, always learning. Thanks for the link diogenes

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #270 on: October 15, 2015, 01:06:17 PM »
Beautiful area.  We go into the badlands on the South Dakota side from time to time usually when traveling somewhere.  This area was really nice. 

That book sounds like one I need.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 06:55:37 PM by wsdstan »
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #271 on: October 15, 2015, 02:12:14 PM »

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #272 on: October 15, 2015, 06:56:41 PM »
Thanks Wolfy, I just bought it.
(Mark Twain)

Offline zammer

• Water Stone

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #274 on: November 01, 2015, 05:28:51 PM »
The one Wolfy pointed out to me was $5.00 with 3.22 shipping for a $8.22 total.  It was in great shape too.
(Mark Twain)

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #275 on: November 02, 2015, 12:06:09 AM »
The one Wolfy pointed out to me was $5.00 with 3.22 shipping for a $8.22 total.  It was in great shape too.

Holy smokes! good score Stan

Offline lgm

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #276 on: November 05, 2015, 05:50:54 PM »

Nebraska sunset.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #277 on: November 05, 2015, 06:18:34 PM »
BEAUTIFUL shot, lgm.....looks like a candidate for Ian Frazier's book. :)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #278 on: November 05, 2015, 06:20:55 PM »
Yep.
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #279 on: November 18, 2015, 07:08:27 PM »
Here's a photo of my old buddy, Bill, from Yuma, that if you recall, I built the Morseth knife/sheath for back in 1980, with a real nice, typical, 9-point, 185# whitetail from our farm.  He asked me last year if I'd be willing to 'guide' him on another hunt if he was still around after his cancer treatments this year.  Of course, I volunteered readily!  He is now free of cancer and has gained 25 lbs. since I saw him last year.  I kidded him about looking about as good as he could ever hope to, considering what he started with when we graduated from high school together 50 years ago. ;D      Let's just say our hunt was MUCH better this year, than last, when he was still pretty sick from all the treatments and the deer herd was almost non-existent from the ravages of the outbreak of EHD. 

PHOTO MADE POSSIBLE ONLY WITH THE HELP OF YellowYak!

We began hunting on opening day last weekend with balmy, bluebird weather.  I glassed this buck briefly poking his head out of a thick patch of brush around 350 yds. from our position, located behind some big round bales of cornstalks, on Sunday morning.  It's been raining ever since and that was the last we saw of him until last evening right after sundown.  He waited for 15 other does & fawns to string out around 100 yds. from the brush pile to the creek before coming out and it was almost too dark to see him clearly at 75 yds. through Bill's 4X Leupold riflescope, but my 7X35 binoculars revealed him clearly enough for me to tell him where and when to shoot. 

He took the shot when I told him to take it and placed the bullet perfectly! :thumbsup:    The heart-shot only let him get about 50 ft. from where he stood when hit, before piling up.  Ol' Bill was dancing with joy and even had tears in his eyes!  It's the biggest deer he's ever killed.  We dressed him in the dark and in the rain, with the help of the headlights of the pickup.....FIRST BLOOD for the knife he asked me to build.  He was so excited that he told me, on the way to the deer check-in station, that he didn't recall ever being happier........even when the doctors told him he was cancer-free!   THAT was so good for me to hear and consequently, I couldn't be happier, myself! :banana:

BTW:
That's Bill's brother's blue heeler, Daisy, in the foreground admiring the successful hunter and his prey. :drool:
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 07:19:32 PM by wolfy »

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #280 on: November 18, 2015, 07:44:56 PM »
Great story Wolfy, and a really nice Whitetail.  I am glad that you and Bill got to share that hunt and how special it is for him to be cancer free and shoot the biggest deer he ever got.

It is also nice that he used the Morseth you made for him.  That has to be pretty special too. 

This whole thing is just great, can't write a story any better than this one.
(Mark Twain)

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #281 on: November 18, 2015, 08:02:57 PM »
^^^What he said.^^^^   :thumbsup:  :cheers:
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #282 on: November 18, 2015, 08:43:15 PM »
Not too bad!

Thanks for the tale, real nice to read a happy story.

where's the story of finding your camera?
where's the knife?
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #283 on: November 18, 2015, 09:01:56 PM »
Here's the pictures of the knife and sheath I made for him back in 1980, right before he took a job in Yuma.  He never got a chance to use it on a deer until last night.....it worked well. :thumbsup:   The camera was Bill's iPhone.....picture snapped by his older brother behind the farmhouse where they grew up.

http://bladesandbushlore.com/index.php?topic=10261.0

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #284 on: November 20, 2015, 06:02:19 AM »
Great story & picture! :thumbsup:

Glad to see you all had a great time & a successful deer hunt! Thanks for sharing!

Offline duxdawg

• Whetstone +
  • paleo/primitive/aboriginal, Fur Trade, Wilderness
« Reply #285 on: November 20, 2015, 05:48:36 PM »
Thank you guys! :cheers:   I was hoping to show you something a little different than most folks see who 'flyover' or stay on the interstate.  It's beautiful country. It's home. It ain't ALL flat! :tent:
I found the flatness of NoDak quite disconcerting when I was there for a couple months for work some years ago. Big plate of blue pressing down on a big plate of green... and nothing in between. Give me hills and trees any day!!

Gorgeous pics though, thanks for sharing!!

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #286 on: November 22, 2015, 05:28:03 PM »
What a great story about the deer hunt and that special knife.. That deer sure is a bigin'. Nice to hear about your buddy Bill's successful battle with cancer also.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #287 on: November 22, 2015, 07:48:14 PM »
Sounds like a really great time, Wolfy! I do remember your post about the knife you made way back when. I'm glad your friend's health has improved. And, nice deer!

Offline woodsrunner

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
« Reply #288 on: December 27, 2015, 07:15:26 PM »
A great hunting story...a very sweet knife and a handsome sheath ta boot! :drool:
I love happy endings :cheers:...woods
'At play in the fields of the Lord'
Save a Logger...Eat a Tree Hugger!

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #289 on: July 06, 2016, 10:37:19 AM »

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #290 on: July 06, 2016, 11:51:47 AM »
Thanks Wolfy, the book regarding Ft. Robinson is a "must get" for me.  I was sorry to hear that Tom Buecker died.  He was a wonderful writer and historian.
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #291 on: July 06, 2016, 11:55:10 AM »
Yeah, me too.....on both counts.   I think I'll pick up the book when I'm in Lincoln in a couple of weeks.....might save a little postage. ;)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #292 on: July 22, 2016, 10:52:04 AM »
Nebraska's Kingsley Dam......one of the biggest and first of its kind.  Here's a short and interesting history from the editorial page of the OMAHA WORLD HERALD.....

http://www.omaha.com/opinion/editorial-big-mac-gives-back-big-time/article_d20b193d-80b4-5798-9c16-08e4647eb249.html

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #293 on: August 09, 2016, 09:47:12 AM »
All of Nebraska has lost an exceptional historian and a good friend, Jim Potter.  I just had him autograph his last book for me when I ran into him out at The Museum of the Fur Trade a couple of years ago.  Always one to track down and correct misconceptions and 'legends' that somehow become 'facts' with repeated tellings, Jim was a true Nebraska historian who was never satisfied with the status quo.  A good man, I will miss him. :(

Be sure to read the piece on Nebraska Cowboys and listen to his lecture on the Great Seal of the State of Nebraska that is embedded in the obituary.

http://www.omaha.com/news/nebraska/historian-archivist-editor-jim-potter-loved-the-detective-work-of/article_d0e1d3c8-a69d-5e5c-b02c-13f7dcc92d3e.html

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #294 on: August 09, 2016, 10:24:37 AM »
Nebraska's Kingsley Dam......one of the biggest and first of its kind.  Here's a short and interesting history from the editorial page of the OMAHA WORLD HERALD.....

http://www.omaha.com/opinion/editorial-big-mac-gives-back-big-time/article_d20b193d-80b4-5798-9c16-08e4647eb249.html

Always enjoy learning something about your State Wolfy, looks like they built that one properly

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #295 on: January 22, 2017, 11:08:35 AM »
Here's an article about Francis & Vernice Kingsbury from my home town.  Vernice was my Den Mother when I was in Cub Scouts.  Their son John and I are friends and grew up together, were in Scouts together and were roommates in college.  We became Eagle Scouts at the same time, too.  Francis was our Assistant Scoutmaster for the entire time we were in Scouts and he was my mother's employer as head cashier in the Bank of Dixon County for 26 years.  Good ol' Nebraska people! :cheers:

http://siouxcityjournal.com/lifestyles/local/ponca-couple-still-clicking-after-more-than-years/article_22e5fc78-d7f8-536e-b204-89cb8172bd05.html

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #296 on: January 22, 2017, 02:05:03 PM »
Well that is nice.  Long time to be married too.
(Mark Twain)

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #297 on: January 22, 2017, 02:37:42 PM »
Now that's good stuff right there wolfy!

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #298 on: February 26, 2017, 04:31:04 PM »
MOVING A BARN BY HAND IN BRUNO NEBRASKA.....

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #299 on: March 01, 2017, 01:19:03 PM »
150 years ago today, on March 1st, 1867 @ 2:30pm, NEBRASKA gained statehood status!

:banana:  :birthday: :banana:
                                                                            NEBRASKA!

« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 10:16:14 PM by wolfy »