Author Topic: What's in your pocket?  (Read 3038 times)

Offline easy_rider75

• Water Stone
What's in your pocket?
« on: February 29, 2012, 09:04:01 AM »
Now just wondering say if you are out and got stranded someplace for a day and I mean someplace kinda remote. Car breakdown etc and you had to walk out would you be able to make it a while with  just the stuff in your pocket at the moment or would you be royally screwed? Now I don't mean having a bug out bag ready in your trunk. Me I think I might be able to last a couple nights without food and such. I got my knives on me always now keeping a compass attached to a rope tied off to my belt, and since I got it been carrying around my ferro rod all the time. Tinder almost always have some scrap of paper in my pockets so yeah I think I  could get along ok if I had to hump it out with just the stuff in my pockets. Now how bout y'all?

And to the survivalists I'm not looking to turn this into a huge debate about the what if type stuff this is a simple question so lets keep it friendly :)
?I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.?~Frank Sinatra~

Offline rogumpogum

• Water Stone
  • I like pickles.
Re: What's in your pocket?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 09:09:52 AM »
There is always a pocket knife and my keychain... Which, besides house and mailbox keys, includes a ferro rod, and a titanium prybar (made by STR from Bladeforums... It's a first-ish generation one, I need to get one of the newer ones). I also have a money clip that holds my ID, cards, and money. I'm actually working on a wallet I'm making myself.

I feel I SHOULD carry more, I just haven't put together something yet - but I have ideas. I'm not big on EDC survival.
"My common sense is tingling..."

Offline easy_rider75

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 09:11:43 AM »
There is always a pocket knife and my keychain... Which, besides house and mailbox keys, includes a ferro rod, and a titanium prybar (made by STR from Bladeforums... It's a first-ish generation one, I need to get one of the newer ones). I also have a money clip that holds my ID, cards, and money. I'm actually working on a wallet I'm making myself.

I feel I SHOULD carry more, I just haven't put together something yet - but I have ideas. I'm not big on EDC survival.

Got a pic of the pry bar? sounds like an interesting idea to  have. Yeah I never had an EDC before either though  on  my bike rides I really  should I know it's a gamble going without the basics at times but so far never had to worry LOL
?I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.?~Frank Sinatra~

Offline Frugal Bohemian

• Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 09:16:03 AM »
I only really carry a SAK and my wallet with the usual wallet stuff.  But, I work in a city and commute by train, so I'm unlikely to get stranded or anything.  My only worries would be dealing with the bad guys (in which case I'll have to rely on my quick wits and amiable demeanor) or some sort of natural disaster (in which case I'll have to rely on my quick wits and SAK).
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me. It'll happen to you..."
- Abraham Jay-Jedediah "Abe" Simpson

Offline rogumpogum

• Water Stone
  • I like pickles.
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 09:16:27 AM »
You should find one of those bike tools... It's like a multitool for bike repair.

http://strsbackyardknifeworks.blogspot.com/

Offline easy_rider75

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 09:25:22 AM »
You should find one of those bike tools... It's like a multitool for bike repair.

http://strsbackyardknifeworks.blogspot.com/

Yep I do have one of them and that is all I carry that and  sometimes when I remember to take it an adjustable wrench I got and a pair of vise grips. I actually got the bike tool for nothing to found on the side of the  road lol

That's a neat idea that pry bar

Offline treez

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 10:07:38 AM »
At any given time I always have on my person a knife of some sort ( leatherman squirt or wave), chapstick, a ballpoint pen, my keys, cellphone, paper of some sort, and a zippo.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 10:41:35 AM »
Now just wondering say if you are out and got stranded someplace for a day and I mean someplace kinda remote. Car breakdown etc and you had to walk out would you be able to make it a while with  just the stuff in your pocket at the moment or would you be royally screwed? Now I don't mean having a bug out bag ready in your trunk. Me I think I might be able to last a couple nights without food and such. I got my knives on me always now keeping a compass attached to a rope tied off to my belt, and since I got it been carrying around my ferro rod all the time. Tinder almost always have some scrap of paper in my pockets so yeah I think I  could get along ok if I had to hump it out with just the stuff in my pockets. Now how bout y'all?

And to the survivalists I'm not looking to turn this into a huge debate about the what if type stuff this is a simple question so lets keep it friendly :)

Only my take of course,  you can frame the question any way that suits you, but it kind of leaves some of us at a disadvantage to answer your question honestly.
  While about all I carry on me personally in my pockets is a good pocket knife, a Bic lighter, my wallet,  car keys on a key chain that has a knife blade, two small screw driver heads, an awl, and a pen light,  some paper money and assorted coins,  little of this would constitute a survival kit that would see me through a real emergency.
  At home this is not a problem,  when I'm away from home is when I'm most vulnerable to your scenario,  but I'm not unprepared, I like many others have quick access in most cases to my Van or my wife's car,  in which I do keep an emergency pack,  the contents of which would keep me very well in most emergency situations.
  If a case where I couldn't take my bag presented itself I have a PSK in the form of a large belt clip that holds individual tools, SAK, ferro rod, some paracord, a sm. light, sm. fishing kit, sm. vial of meds, compass, short metal/wood saw, water pure tabs, and a sm. vial of fire starter, this is clipped to the side of my pack and can be transfered to my belt quickly.
 My pack contains all the tools, water, fire, shelter, and food that I would need to sustain myself and my wife for several days,  including a well stocked first aid kit.

Maybe not what you asked for,  but it's what I offer.   
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline easy_rider75

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 11:04:02 AM »

Only my take of course,  you can frame the question any way that suits you, but it kind of leaves some of us at a disadvantage to answer your question honestly.
  While about all I carry on me personally in my pockets is a good pocket knife, a Bic lighter, my wallet,  car keys on a key chain that has a knife blade, two small screw driver heads, an awl, and a pen light,  some paper money and assorted coins,  little of this would constitute a survival kit that would see me through a real emergency.
  At home this is not a problem,  when I'm away from home is when I'm most vulnerable to your scenario,  but I'm not unprepared, I like many others have quick access in most cases to my Van or my wife's car,  in which I do keep an emergency pack,  the contents of which would keep me very well in most emergency situations.
  If a case where I couldn't take my bag presented itself I have a PSK in the form of a large belt clip that holds individual tools, SAK, ferro rod, some paracord, a sm. light, sm. fishing kit, sm. vial of meds, compass, short metal/wood saw, water pure tabs, and a sm. vial of fire starter, this is clipped to the side of my pack and can be transfered to my belt quickly.
 My pack contains all the tools, water, fire, shelter, and food that I would need to sustain myself and my wife for several days,  including a well stocked first aid kit.

Nope thanks for  the answers. As said I know a lot of people keep   BOBs in their cars and such.  I guess was more sorta  a what if now that I think on it if you were caught away from that car your main one ya know?

Offline rogumpogum

• Water Stone
  • I like pickles.
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 11:07:39 AM »
I think that... As much as I kinda hate the idea of a pocket "survival kit" in a tin.. There are a lot of good ways to make those tins and not see them as a "do everything" kit for survival, and in fact be a real EDC kit, where you can use any of the items for many applications on a day to day business.

Requires some thought, on my part...

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 12:28:39 PM »

Nope thanks for  the answers. As said I know a lot of people keep   BOBs in their cars and such.  I guess was more sorta  a what if now that I think on it if you were caught away from that car your main one ya know?

I understand,  it's just that for my lifestyle I can't think of such a scenario,  when I go somewhere I travel in one of my cars, I can't remember the last time I used public transportation,  when shopping, out to dinner with my wife,  or picking up something at the hardware store, I never more than a hundred yards from my vehicle,  same thing for time at the range or fishing.
 When I was working I had a survival bag in my patrol car,  and after I retired I worked driving a tri-axle dump truck and had my lunch bag/cooler packed with a lot of small survival tools.

If I worked or was away from home involved in a lot of travel by air or train and stayed in hotels in strange cities I guess I'd have to re-evaluate  my position relating to survival more along the lines that you're asking about,  but that's not the way I live my life,  nor would I want to.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline TheOutdoorist

• Whetstone +
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 04:21:49 PM »
Day to day, Phone, wallet with the house key in the coin pouch and a lighter.

When out for a walk or in the woods i carry my dog tags for id if anything were to happen, a small folding knife, firesteel, lighter and sometimes a torch and small first aid kit.
Normally i just carry this pouch:

more here... http://theoutdoorist.blogspot.com/2011/12/belt-pouch.html
My Blog - The Outdoorist - http://theoutdoorist.blogspot.co.uk/