Author Topic: How do you make a Vaseline CB?  (Read 5908 times)

Offline arngmechanic

• Whetstone +
How do you make a Vaseline CB?
« on: February 09, 2015, 03:09:23 PM »
Since I can't view youtube, I'd like to ask how to make these, since they are HIGHLY popular method of starting a fire. Do you press down an just cover it or melt it and let it soak in? Hints tips or tricks are highly appreciated :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
Re: How do you make a Vaseline CB?
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 03:16:37 PM »
I either drop the CB into the PJ and swirl it around with my finger or I unroll the CB and smear the PJ on each. In either case I then roll the ball up to smush out extra PJ and put them in either 5 or 6 of them in a match safe or I put 1 or 2 of them in a little crack sack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Learning: a continuation of the failure process"

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 03:38:41 PM »
I either drop the CB into the PJ and swirl it around with my finger or I unroll the CB and smear the PJ on each. In either case I then roll the ball up to smush out extra PJ and put them in either 5 or 6 of them in a match safe or I put 1 or 2 of them in a little crack sack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is what I do.  And I have had to use my stash to get a fire going under wet conditions. I make little "candles" with  them with a coupla "wicks" coming out of the cotton ball I'm getting ready to light.  Kinda like pottery skills there. lol.  Long burn and if you know how to get dry tinder in the wet...  very effective.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline arngmechanic

• Whetstone +
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 03:41:06 PM »
That was an awesome link, thank you!

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 04:07:31 PM »
Here is a link to a different kind of fire starter that looks very interesting.

http://www.survivalresources.com/Articles/Self-Igniting.FS.html

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 04:32:13 PM »
GH.....I've tried something very similar with the Boy Scouts.  When I was a young pyromaniac Boy Scout, it USED TO work very well, but the fail rate with these new 'strike-anywheres' is so high that it's hardly worth the effort to produce them.  The hot wax seems to soak the head mixture...and even when you peel the excess wax from the head before striking, they just crumble and fall apart without lighting.  Of course, your efforts may be more successful than mine. :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 04:56:18 PM »
I double bag em and add a large dollop of PJ and sleep with em beneath my pillow. In the morning, they're ready!

PMZ
"Nancy, you're me darlin, I loves ye all to bits! I'll climb up to your chamber, and under your mountainous...."

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 04:57:47 PM »
And as far as other firestarters go, I've found fatwood splinters make nice easily-lit "matches" with a bit of cotton fluff wound around one end. They burn a lot longer and hotter than standard cottonballs do, even with PJ.
"Nancy, you're me darlin, I loves ye all to bits! I'll climb up to your chamber, and under your mountainous...."

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 05:24:31 PM »
  I don't really carry them mixed together. I carry the components in my FAK. Separately.
But that is "me". I can think of uses for cotton balls & pads that don't involve Pet. jelly, & I can think of things that involve P.J. that don't need cotton balls & such. And... just for an example... I could spread the Pet. jelly on a number of natural items if I need an fire accelerant, along with other things that are in the kit, like alc.pads, & ointments.. Pressure bandages can be used as the cooton part & so can tampons if you carry those also.
;)

Regardless...Everyo ne has their own way, but I like knowing I can carry both P.J. & C.balls/pads separately in the FAK & use them for other things, than just lighting them on fire.

Yeah... I know... I'm a strange feller... JUst call me "independent".
LOL
 ;D

Oh, and I must include the Y.M.M.V., so no one gets uptight. Let just learn from one another & have a laff once in a while, right?
 ;)

Next?
 :D

I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline arngmechanic

• Whetstone +
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 09:44:21 PM »
So I did some playing around with what I had. I didn't have PJ so I tried mag shavings, then body spray, then just a plain spark. I got all of them to light!! Super excited!

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, 09:56:45 PM »
As long as you are experimenting, regular kitchen waxed paper makes a nice tinder that will light from a ferro rod spark.

To prepare it, roll it up into a tight roll and use your knife or some scissors to cut off thin slices from the end. These unravel into long thin curls that make a great tinder. And the waxed paper in sheet form is relatively water resistant. I wouldn't submerge it but if it gets rained on a little or splashed it won't hurt it.

As for the cotton balls, coating the outside with petroleum jelly works well. When you want to light them, pull them apart into two pieces to fluff the fibers.

Offline Indiana Hillbilly

• Mill File+
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 07:13:12 AM »
Last year I did a comparrison of PJ cotton ball and micro-inferno.

I don't remember the burn times, but both did very well. I dunked them both in water, then fluffed them up and lit with ferro rod. The PJ cotton ball did burn a little longer, but that could have to do with the way you prepare them?

I just smeared PJ into them till they wouldn't take anymore. It does make them messy, but it worked very well.

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, 08:03:37 AM »
So I did some playing around with what I had. I didn't have PJ so I tried mag shavings, then body spray, then just a plain spark. I got all of them to light!! Super excited!

Hand sanitizer works also.

Offline arngmechanic

• Whetstone +
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2015, 08:09:09 AM »
Awesome, another trick for the kit

Offline pete28

• Water Stone
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2015, 03:49:08 PM »
I have become quite fond of the pj straws. I do mine almost the same way as everyone else on here with one minor difference. I use the large milkshake straws but i stick them directly into the pj. I then roll up the cotton balls like a turd and push it all the way down till it bottoms out. I use an awl for this. Once the first row is in I pull the straw and turn them upside down and repeat the process.
The more you look with your eyes the less you will truly see.

Offline Gingerman

• Mill File
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2015, 05:56:57 AM »
Just squish  'em up one at a time. I carry mine in an old pill bottle.

Offline woodsorrel

• Whetstone +
    • NatureOutside
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2015, 08:04:55 AM »
Just squish  'em up one at a time. I carry mine in an old pill bottle.

I carry mine in an old 35 mm film canister.

- Woodsorrel
The best backpacks are named for national parks or mountain ranges. Steer clear of those named for landfills.
Bushcraft tips and tricks:  www.NatureOutside.c om

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2015, 01:45:33 PM »
  I don't use PJ on cotton balls any more since I had a sandwich bag fail on a hot summer day and the PJ melted just enough to stain the inside of my bag and a nice shirt.
  Now I carry a small bottle of hand sanitizer,  a small tube of lip balm,  and a small tube of Neosporin,  all have their obvious uses,  and all work as well as PJ,  I carry some dry cotton balls and some Q-Tips, the cotton balls and Q-tips have their usual applications for first aid and hygene,  but when mixed with any of the three products above give you a flame extender.
  Another thing I carry along the same lines are a few cotton balls that have been dipped in parifin which I keep in a 35mm film container,  on damp days when you need that little bit extra you just break open the cotton ball to expose the dry fuzzy center and strike a spark on the ferro rod, as the cotton burns it melts the wax and like a candle it will burn for quite a while, and in a pinch it can be used as a candle.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline druid189

• Whetstone +
  • PA...the hunter's dream state
    • My meagerly endowed YouTube Channel
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2015, 01:58:27 AM »
I use PJ and cotton wound pads. Spread the PJ on it, rub it in with your fingers and make aluminum foil "envelopes" to separate them. Depending on the size of the pad, depends on how many you can get into an Altoids can. Ferro rods fire  'em up pretty quick and they burn for a while [not stopwatched them] to the tune of about 90 seconds to 2 minutes
If there was no tomorrow, if there was just today...would you make different choices or would you stay the same?

Offline duxdawg

• Whetstone +
  • paleo/primitive/aboriginal, Fur Trade, Wilderness
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2015, 04:06:20 PM »
I have never seen the point in coating CBs (cottonballs) with PJ (petroleum jelly aka Vaseline) ahead of time.

I have been keeping CBs in a waterproof matchsafe (fits 8-10) for many years and it has never failed me. I refill Carmex or Chapstick click-sticks  with PJ. This allows them to be used for multiple tasks. Once you've gooped up a CB, pretty much only good for fire at that point. Once it gets hot out, the PJ melts and makes a mess.

The biggest thing most people overlook with this fire starting method is finding something the PJ will not just run off of. When PJ is heated it becomes thinner than water. Most of the people I have watched use this method completely miss the fact that most of the PJ soaked into the ground before burning. So for me the first thing is to find aluminum foil, aluminum can, rock, thick bark, slab of wood, etc to keep the PJ where it will do some good.

While how much we use each time is dependent upon several variables (size/thickness, type, dryness, etc of tinder and kindling, ambient temp, wind, etc) I have found that about a 1/4" of PJ from the click-stick is usually plenty. 1/3 to 1/2 of a CB is usually enough as well. But then I have decades of fire starting experience with a wide variety of methods. Most of my fires are started with F&S using materials gathered in situ. Always good to have, and be proficient with, multiple methods.

Knowledge and skills are perishable, thus we must practice them from time to time to maintain our edge. 

IMHO, PJ'd CBs are a poor imitation of fatwood anyhow.