Author Topic: Bird traps  (Read 2465 times)

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
Bird traps
« on: August 15, 2015, 08:29:19 AM »
Today while messing with my new Primitive Bush knife I practiced making a bird trap. Mojave or Arapuca style. There are lots of styles but I really like this one. It was stupid simple and only required a couple of feet of cordage or string. I was able to bait it with wild flower seeds from around my yard and street. It took less than a 1/2 hour to make counting cutting pieces and playing with the trigger. Please post up any that you have made of this or other styles.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 03:54:53 PM by SwampHanger »

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
Re: Bird traps
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 03:52:51 PM »
While trapped in the house with the rain I carved a Paiute trigger out of a old dowel rod and some Dacron braid. I think a few more traps will be made just to see how quick I can get at making them.

Offline woodsorrel

• Whetstone +
    • NatureOutside
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 06:10:25 PM »
Very nice, SwampHanger

I have been meaning to make one as an exercise.  I was thinking I would use a "figure 4" to trigger it.  Do you see any problems with that approach?

Of course, I am doing this as an exercise and do not plan to trap any animals.  I am not legally permitted to trap where I reside.

- Woodsorrel
The best backpacks are named for national parks or mountain ranges. Steer clear of those named for landfills.
Bushcraft tips and tricks:  www.NatureOutside.c om

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 02:56:25 AM »
I should have put it in my original post I'm not harvesting animals either. A figure four would work by maybe make it long enough and low enough that a bird bumps it for activation. If you use a bait that mammals may want they will destroy the trap unles it's heavier and tied better than just the friction method used to hold it together. I'm going to play with useing Dacron thread 20# fishing line doubled for the string as its small enough to wrap around a knife handle and not notice it so I will always have it with me.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 07:27:40 AM »
  Pretty cool!
:thumbsup:

I am wondering why the idea popped into your head to motivate ya to make these bird traps...??
Did the idea just pop into your head, or was there something you read or saw, that motivated ya?
:)

Anyway, glad to see ya took the time to share & it is good to see some wood crafting & folks using bush skills posted here. I haven't seen much of that here lately.
;)

Thanks!
:)
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline woodsorrel

• Whetstone +
    • NatureOutside
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 08:02:29 AM »
I should have put it in my original post I'm not harvesting animals either. A figure four would work by maybe make it long enough and low enough that a bird bumps it for activation. If you use a bait that mammals may want they will destroy the trap unles it's heavier and tied better than just the friction method used to hold it together. I'm going to play with useing Dacron thread 20# fishing line doubled for the string as its small enough to wrap around a knife handle and not notice it so I will always have it with me.

Thanks, SwampHanger!  I hadn't considered what mammals would do to a trap like this one. 

- Woodsorrel
The best backpacks are named for national parks or mountain ranges. Steer clear of those named for landfills.
Bushcraft tips and tricks:  www.NatureOutside.c om

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 12:07:28 PM »
JB I really was wondering why they didn't make them on Alone so I wanted to see what it took. Plus it was just something to do in between the rain. If what Wildebeest said is true I really don't understand why so we not tried. Not to mention it will be a fun exercise to share with the scouts.

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 12:21:31 PM »
It must the guy who taught me did not have bird traps as part of his repertoire because he never even mentioned them.  I was 12 so I may have forgot if he did.  Either way that one looks like it was intended for seagull size birds is that correct?  I once saw a trap intended for small birds and I just can't imaging the end results are worth the effort. 

Is there a trap for ducks that has a high level of success?  That might be a very valuable one to know. 

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 12:27:23 PM »
Draco there are some vide online of people catching dove and quail. From what one guy in Brazil said if you run 10 traps you average 3-5 birds a day. As easy as they are to make I think its worth the effort. Try making one except the time to find the wood they are real easy and quick.

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 12:30:25 PM »
That makes sense.  If you have something to bait them with that would be great.