Author Topic: Who Scored a Swiss Salt and Pepper Rucksack before the prices blew out?  (Read 451 times)

Offline buzzacott

• Whetstone +

I remember 10 or 15 years ago you could pick one up for about $10 they were that common. Now you're looking at up to $250 for a good one!

Apparently the supply of these is nowhere near running out up in places like Germany, Austria, and in Switzerland itself, but the major surplus wholesalers in the English speaking world seem to have run dry.

I simply wasn't interested in one of these packs ten years ago, so I didn't pick one up. I finally found one locally a few months back at an army disposals store (surplus store) when I was in Sydney town for a long week end of whisky bars, strange Asian food and hotel roo... never mind...

I knew a bit about them before I owned one, but I am genuinely impressed and a little shocked at the quality of manufacture. My goodness people, these things must have cost the equivalent of a coupla hundred bucks to manufacture in the first place! I don't feel so bad about dropping $100 on one.

As a bit of an aside, this pack demonstrates a lot of the design elements you find on a modern backpacking/hiking pack. Internal flexible frame, fully adjustable suspension - it has load lifters - and it even had leather loops sewn on so you could retrofit it with a padded waistbelt for hip loading, making it even more like a modern pack in use.  Impressive.

Here's a few pics of mine.

Don't kill unless for the pot. Don't fell a green tree for a pole if there are dry poles nearby. Study the bush, learn to read its secrets; watch the mason fly building and go to the ant for another lesson... then you'll realise the bush is your friend.
Richard Graves - 1944

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
Re: Who Scored a Swiss Salt and Pepper Rucksack before the prices blew out?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 01:36:44 PM »
Yours looks to be in great shape, even the leather looks nearly new. Congrats.
  I'm not sure who else here  has Salt and Pepper fever, my case is not too awful. Neither of my two has the metal frame. One has the leather bottom, the other does not, and I like it a lot.

I've been tempted to replace the buckles occasionally. It can seem like quite a bother anytime one is in and out of the pack more than a time or two per day
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener in a war

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
Re: Who Scored a Swiss Salt and Pepper Rucksack before the prices blew out?
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 04:31:42 PM »
First time I have seen one...Pretty cool....
Thanks for posting.
Don't think $250 buck cool, though,,,the $10 bucks seen more like surplus, not cult.

Personally I am a fan of the Finnish gas mask bag...when they were $4 buck each....easy to mod and not worry about messing it up.

Lately the have been getting rare like that Swiss bag... as well....so prices are about $15 bucks each, which is still not a bad price.
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much