Author Topic: my new leather shop  (Read 2859 times)

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
my new leather shop
« on: January 03, 2018, 05:53:07 AM »
being that it is winter i've decided to make my lil'  leather shop in the house
i put up a 4,ft folding table and got me a small table top 8,in drill.
i'll also putin a rack for the books and patterns, a tool rack ot place the tools
a tool box undrneath the table for other tools.and a shelf i guess for the dyes
and whatnot.

i'm still waiting for my tandy catalog they put it on a done pony hedded nort.
but i did manage to get a friend to order some material for me from
the tandy onlie store, lizard and snake skin.
i'm excited, i do have some leather scraps i got at rondy a few years back
mabey i practice with those meantime. i will try to post photos
when it's done.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Re: my new leather shop
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 11:39:23 AM »
Well you inspired me to dig out my leather working tools.  I need 2 gun holsters and a knife sheath.  Good tasks for a blowy rainy day.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 04:10:38 PM »
well little by little the shop is comming along, i just orderd some tools wolfy posted a link to.
thanks again wolfy. still waiting for the orther stuff i orderd.
none the less the bench is comming together.

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 04:36:26 PM »
From Hayshaker:

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 05:38:38 PM »
Thanks greg, for posting my photo, in the photo is what so far i was able to scrounge up around
the place. some new stuff i've added. ii will post some time in the future when it's more done.lol

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 06:15:13 PM »
Nice press. I've been wanting one forever. That'll be a nice place to pass the time.

I'm sewing. Making gear for this summer. Today I sewn 4 feet with no top thread at all. It was going perfect too. LOL!!!  :doh:
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 05:58:57 AM »
I placed a few orders so far for a large tool kit, well large for me,lol
some craft packs of lizard hides and some snake skins,
I still want to get some punches for dressing up the sheaths.
and books i need books, last night i took some scrap leather about 8-9,oz
size and cut out a sheath for a 1840's style damascus hunter i had laying around.
what i want to know is can i use a lesser quality leather if the whole face is going to be
punched with a design anyway or no? i asking cause i'm getting ready to order my leather soon.

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 06:19:39 AM »
Nice looking space you've created for yourself.
You've give me some ideas for my own general workspace for crafting/repair/creation.
To your question about leather quality:
Mostly it depends on what type of punching you're planning and what quality you're aiming for in your final product.
If you plan to punch a basket weave on most of your work, then you can get away with more flaws in the leather.
I normally go to the local Tandy shop and can inspect the hides I buy to pick out the best of whatever price range I'm buying.
I normally purchase the "best" of the worst quality, but my sheathes are primarily for function and are for me or gifts for friends for users.
On the few occasions I've done sheaths for pay or for knife trades (KITHs) I've purchased the best I can afford.
That being said, I don't tool a lot so there is a noticeable (but irrelevant) difference between the best of the worst and the worst of the best.
When ordering, if you need to pay for "selection" or "hand picked"  lower quality leather and it starts to approach the cost of higher quality "unpicked" leather, I'd go for the good stuff.
"Learning: a continuation of the failure process"

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 07:06:09 AM »
Thanks yeoman i guess that's what i was trying to say like doing a basket weave
or some type of cover all pattern. as for my plans of what to do with my finished sheaths.
I plan on selling them. it's time to start getting all this to pay for it's self.lol
sady i don'd live anywhere near a tandy store :( so i'll have to take my chances so to speak.
spendy propisition i guess.

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 08:13:47 AM »
Good looking set up there, Hayshaker. Good that you can separate the leather work area from the knifemaking area. I ruined a few pieces of leather early on trying to work on leather and a knife at the same time on the same bench.

Some folks that make knives hate to make sheaths...some make don't make sheaths at all. I enjoy the leatherwork about as much as making knives.
"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibber-jabber
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 10:54:30 AM »
Thin spots, creases and such are the main things to avoid, of course holes lol.

I'm not a fan of Tandy. Once upon a time it was probably a great company. That doesn't seem to be the case today. Last time I was in a store, there wasn't a proper harness needle to be had, not even a decent thread.

...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2018, 05:50:26 PM »
Glad to see your progress! To me, it?s addicting. I wish I had the time to play with leather some more.  I know your internet speed isn?t what you want, but if you can view videos on YouTube, I highly recommend watching Nigel Armitage and his stitching topic videos.  Another is Ian Atkinson and his detailed project videos.  Both will help and inspire at the same time.

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2018, 06:28:11 PM »
thanks dano, i wish i could get u-tube, but i only get 38-40kbps, >:(

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2018, 11:46:30 AM »
not that i'm getting antsy or anything BUT my catalog has not arrived nor has
all the tools and material either, so anyhow i did manage to pick up a whole load of pressed paper
2x4 ft sheets, perfect for making templates for sheaths. and found that i had to add a second
2x4ft table creating a L shaped work area. last night i cut out 2,templates one was like the one sarge did.
with the rattle snake. hope he don't mind,
i'm wondering if that stiff buffalo hide i have from a 2yr'old cow hair on if that would work for sheaths
if shaved?
any suggestions?

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2018, 12:22:30 PM »
Heck no. I don't mind.  :cheers:

Sorry I can't help with the buffalo hide question. I've only ever used leather from Tandy and a couple pieces recently from Hobby Lobby.

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2018, 07:51:53 PM »
Sure, the raw buffalo hide will work.....the native Americans used it almost exclusively for sheathmaking.  Rawhide makes great sheath material.....almost any museum that includes sheathes from the era of the mountain men, Indians, buffalo hunters and cowboys show prime examples.

Think of it as Kydex, or maybe more appropriately, Hidex......get it? .....hide, Hidex? :lol: :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2018, 08:24:23 PM »
Sure, the raw buffalo hide will work.....the native Americans used it almost exclusively for sheathmaking.  Rawhide makes great sheath material.....almost any museum that includes sheathes from the era of the mountain men, Indians, buffalo hunters and cowboys show prime examples.

Think of it as Kydex, or maybe more appropriately, Hidex......get it? .....hide, Hidex? :lol: :shrug:
I see what you did there, wolfy! :lol:

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibber-jabber
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2018, 12:09:36 AM »
Sounds better than nature's kydex Wolfy.

I wouldn't cut up something that is a better thing as is just to get at some material. Not now anyway. In hind sight such things were never worth it. Without seeing it I gotta ask- why not neetsfoot it or whatever else you might need to do and get a rug out of it?

HS, since you were asking about tanning a cow hide, you might want to look into the thing they call half-tan.
To make bark tanned leather can take a very long time(to me) like up to six months-maybe more. Half-tan ~ 1/2 that time. But probably more like 1-2 months. it makes quite the superior sheath material- bark-tan leather on the outside/ rawhide in the middle. Takes to wet forming very well, carving and stamping. The real bonus is it's tough as hell to cut through or puncture when dry.

It's also hard to find. I'd buy some to use for revolver holsters in second but can't find large enough pieces. The down side is likely a huge learning curve. With full tan you can just skive down to whatever thickness you need. Not sure how one gets the right thickness first..... oh well. Good luck with your venture
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2018, 10:52:38 AM »
Mikey, here's a good video with some excellent advice on working with Hidex, plus......I like the cut of this ol' dude's gib.  ;)

The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2018, 02:48:26 PM »
thanks wolfy buti only get 40kbps

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2018, 03:03:12 PM »

If you can watch these from Tandy it will teach you alot
Several videos out there you can learn from faster than books. your library will have several books to pick from.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 03:11:22 PM by Spyder1958 »
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2018, 04:24:17 PM »
here ya go, ijust recieved most of the things i ordered
and can's nuttin it seems, my glasses are scratched so bad.
i get in reaklybad shape if i use them . so i ordered a nother pair,
won't be till nezt week i get them.
so for now i'm wearing a jewlers visor from the shop so i can post.