Author Topic: The best people  (Read 1529 times)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
The best people
« on: February 15, 2018, 03:53:22 PM »
 How many times have we heard the words "The Best People you ever want to meet" are Hunters, fishermen, shooters, campers, seems every group has their own "The Best people",  well we here on Blades and Bushlore have ours as well,  and today I'd like to single one out,  but before I do I'd like to thank all of the members of this forum for being ever ready to lend a hand, share skills, funny stories, or share an outing or adventure, and even giving a gift occasionally just 'cause it felt like the thing to do at the time,  I've been a member here since PW & Red put it together, been a while,  if I had to name every member who has done me an unasked for goodness I'd have to refer to the members list, but you all know who you are.

We here are truely blessed to have a place to come to to learn, teach, rant, and just be comfortable and feel safe at with friends who share the same pleasures of life that you do,  and every once in a while one of us goes above and beyond the average and does something for someone else that's completely unexpected,  and today was my day to be that someone else that one of you did something for that was completely unexpected and heart warming,  and I do mean heart warming, for I'm not too proud to say that it choked me up a bit.
 But first a little back storey,  a short while ago I posted about backpacking stoves to share some of my thoughts on small stoves and also to add to the activity on the forum which I think is important to our continued success on B&B, one of our members read my thread and for what ever his reason was moved to do something nice for another member.
 So today I go out to the mailbox to check for mail as I do every day, there's a few pieces of mail in the box and a package on the porch under the mail box,  I figured it's for my wife as she's always buy some little thing for one of our seven kids and ten grand kids,  she says she not expecting anything,  but the package is in my name,  and it's from Amazon,  I didn't order anything.
 I open the package and inside there's a brandy new Ohuhu Stainless Steel backpacking stove,  I figured it's got to be a mistake on Amazons part,  I didn't order a stove or any other gear lately,  so I open the box and there's a note,  it says "Hi Moe, I was reading your recent post on Blades and Bushlore about backpacking stoves,  and thought you might like one of these to play with this spring,  Happy February ".

YellowYak

I'm blown away by this gift and by the generocity of this man who took the time and expense to do something nice for someone for no other reason than just being a truley good person,  I guess you can tell that I don't experience this kind of thing very often,  and though you probably can't tell by this long winded post,  I'm at a loss for words, what do you say to a guy like YellowYak that can possibly match the generocity of his gift ?
 All I can say is Thanks Greg,  I will indeed enjoy playing with it,  and I will do a review of the Ohuhu stove,  and also a comparison report between the it and the Solo Stove,   I can already see where the Ohuhu stove has a clear advantage in that it has a bigger burn chamber than the Solo Stove.

Again my friend, thank you so much, the stove is nice, but your giving of yourself in that way is priceless and won't soon be forgotten. 

Moe
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: The best people
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 04:06:30 PM »
He posts Hayshaker's photos too.  Nice gesture to give you that stove. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline lgm

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 04:17:28 PM »
 :cheers: :banana: :cheers: :banana:
Nice going yellow.
Thanks for singing his praise Moe
What a great day to be outside.

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 05:10:47 PM »
Greg donated a computer for me to gift to the local  Sons of the American Revolution group.  He donated a Yeti cooler to a friend.   He has done things like this for years.  You can't find a more decent gent anywhere.
There are many examples of not only Greg, but others here doing the same thing.  It's what friends do for friends.   :)

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 05:32:40 PM »
Greg does a lot of nice things for a lot of people.  It's a pleasure to be able to call him a friend.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 05:38:24 PM »
 :cheers:

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 06:24:08 PM »
He helps me with the quirks in my iPad and got my emoticons working again! :banana: :hail: :cheers:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibber-jabber
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 06:57:37 PM »
That's pretty cool
 If it was a total surprise-how did he get your address?

I know who to PM next time I need help with a snoop. Thanks for the intel
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline NoseWarmer

• Whetstone
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 08:15:51 PM »
It sounds like there are some good people around still, I'm glad to be a part of this!
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated...

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018, 11:34:30 PM »
It sounds like there are some good people around still, I'm glad to be a part of this!

It'll grow on you if you give it half a chance.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2018, 11:41:34 PM »
That's pretty cool
 If it was a total surprise-how did he get your address?

I know who to PM next time I need help with a snoop. Thanks for the intel

I wondered that myself,  but I did buy a really sweet knife from him a couple of years ago  (one of my favorite users), I'm assuming he kept my mailing information and referred to it.

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2018, 03:26:05 AM »
Awesome post
Nice matters

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2018, 04:18:03 AM »
     Great thread, Moe.  Greg is a super guy.  Also when in camp he always has a big smile on his face, always looks you in the eye when you're talking,  and is always baking some goodies.  Many of us down here have experienced his unexpected generosity.  We are blessed with some very good men in the Kracaneuner Tribe.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2018, 05:22:11 AM »
i also wish to add my thanks to greg for his kindness and generacity of time
in posting my photos for me, he trully is good people, thanks greg. shakey

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2018, 08:42:31 AM »
Wow, I don't know what to say. First, Moe, I'm glad you received the little wood stove, I'm sure you'll enjoy using it. I had purchased one last year and have had fun using it with twigs, charcoal, and wood pellets and thought you may like one.

Second, thanks everyone for their kind words. I've received much more than I could ever give back from this forum and my Kracaneuner friends. Appreciate the comments.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2018, 08:44:26 AM »
 :thumbsup:
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2018, 05:30:14 PM »
Yes Greg Is FIRST class always. has always stepped up and helps anyone any time.
Greg's the Man.
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2018, 06:43:23 PM »
How many times have we heard the words "The Best People you ever want to meet" are Hunters, fishermen, shooters, campers, seems every group has their own "The Best people",  well we here on Blades and Bushlore have ours as well,  and today I'd like to single one out,  but before I do I'd like to thank all of the members of this forum for being ever ready to lend a hand, share skills, funny stories, or share an outing or adventure, and even giving a gift occasionally just 'cause it felt like the thing to do at the time,  I've been a member here since PW & Red put it together, been a while,  if I had to name every member who has done me an unasked for goodness I'd have to refer to the members list, but you all know who you are.

We here are truely blessed to have a place to come to to learn, teach, rant, and just be comfortable and feel safe at with friends who share the same pleasures of life that you do,  and every once in a while one of us goes above and beyond the average and does something for someone else that's completely unexpected,  and today was my day to be that someone else that one of you did something for that was completely unexpected and heart warming,  and I do mean heart warming, for I'm not too proud to say that it choked me up a bit.
 But first a little back storey,  a short while ago I posted about backpacking stoves to share some of my thoughts on small stoves and also to add to the activity on the forum which I think is important to our continued success on B&B, one of our members read my thread and for what ever his reason was moved to do something nice for another member.
 So today I go out to the mailbox to check for mail as I do every day, there's a few pieces of mail in the box and a package on the porch under the mail box,  I figured it's for my wife as she's always buy some little thing for one of our seven kids and ten grand kids,  she says she not expecting anything,  but the package is in my name,  and it's from Amazon,  I didn't order anything.
 I open the package and inside there's a brandy new Ohuhu Stainless Steel backpacking stove,  I figured it's got to be a mistake on Amazons part,  I didn't order a stove or any other gear lately,  so I open the box and there's a note,  it says "Hi Moe, I was reading your recent post on Blades and Bushlore about backpacking stoves,  and thought you might like one of these to play with this spring,  Happy February ".

YellowYak

I'm blown away by this gift and by the generocity of this man who took the time and expense to do something nice for someone for no other reason than just being a truley good person,  I guess you can tell that I don't experience this kind of thing very often,  and though you probably can't tell by this long winded post,  I'm at a loss for words, what do you say to a guy like YellowYak that can possibly match the generocity of his gift ?
 All I can say is Thanks Greg,  I will indeed enjoy playing with it,  and I will do a review of the Ohuhu stove,  and also a comparison report between the it and the Solo Stove,   I can already see where the Ohuhu stove has a clear advantage in that it has a bigger burn chamber than the Solo Stove.

Again my friend, thank you so much, the stove is nice, but your giving of yourself in that way is priceless and won't soon be forgotten. 

Moe

This is a follow up to the thread that I posted back in February thanking Greg (Yellow Yak) for the gift of a new Ohuhu wood/gasifier backpacking stove,  it was totally unexpected by me,  I posted to thank him for his generous gift.
  I told Greg that I would give it a try and maybe do a comparison review between the Ohuhu stove and my Solo stove and give him my opinion about how they measure up,  I tested both stoves using the same types of fuel which included,  twigs, pine cones, and general burnable ground litter,  then with grill pellets, then chunks of split thumb sized split hardwood about 3-12" long and packed tightly standing up in the stove, I also tried both stoves using an alcohol Spirit Burner (Trangia stove).
  Both stoves are fairly close in design,  both are made of sturdy stainless steel, both are very well made and finish is flawless,  both worked equally well and equally bad depending on the fuel used and how they are loaded,  the Ohuhu stove sells for about $25.00, the Solo Stove Lite (my model) retails at about $70.00, both can be purchased at Amazon.
  Some Pros and cons,  The solo stove is expensive, otherwise there's not much to dislike,  the Ohuhu stove worked great,  although I did have trouble using some of my smaller pots like the Stanley adventure pot and my Toaks .750 ML. bush pot,  both are too narrow to fit safely on the wide stance of the Ohuhu's pot stand where as with the Solo stove was able to use my narrower pots a REI SS cups.
  My only other complaint with the Ohuhu stove is that it has no feed window, to add more fuel you have to take your pot off the stove,  the Solo stove has a useable feed window which allows fuel to be fed into the stove without removing your pot or skillet.
  However, if loaded the right way with the right fuel you can get about 30 minutes of burn time before needing to add more fuel which is plenty of time for most cooking and boiling chores,  I found that the fuels that worked best in both stoves was chunked thumb sized split hardwood,  and alcohol using a Spirit burner (Trangia stove).
  When using the wood chunks I packed them fairly tightly, then I used birch bark, twigs, and treated cotton balls packed in between the chunks of split wood to get it lighted, worked well every time.
  Wood pellets were hard to get started because they tend to block off the intake of air from the bottom of the stove,  twigs and other loose fuels burned too fast, too hot, and had to be constantly added to maintain a decent cook fire which means they needed constant attention or they'd burn out.
  My opinion,  Both stoves worked well,  economically the Ohuhu is the better buy,  the Solo stove is a bit more versatile,  I chose to stick with my Solo Stove because it's smaller diameter fits my Mors Bush Pot.

Greg, I think you'll be happy to know that I gifted the Ohuhu stove forward to a Good friend who will be using it with his kids in hopes of being able to buy enough of them to supply his troop,  if it tests out ok he intends to run a couple of fund raisers to buy them.
  So thanks again my friend,  you've not only done something nice for me but your gift is going on to make others very happy as well.

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2018, 02:57:08 AM »
Great review Moe, thanks for taking the time to let us know how those two stoves compared. Glad to hear you've forwarded it on to your buddy.

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2018, 04:43:59 AM »
 :thumbsup:
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar