Author Topic: Meat Sticks/Beef Sticks/Snack Sticks  (Read 1830 times)

Offline NoseWarmer

• Whetstone
Meat Sticks/Beef Sticks/Snack Sticks
« on: February 15, 2018, 08:08:53 PM »
I apologize if there is a topic on this matter, but I did a quick search and didn't find anything that popped up.

So on to the "meat" of the subject (no pun intended) :)

I kind of like to think I have a good sense of taste when it comes to "cured" meat.

I've been on a kick as of late looking for the best meat sticks/beef sticks I can find without breaking the bank. I know, some will say "make your own", that is my intention the future, my lovely wife bought me a smoker for Christmas.

So I prefer a dryer stick verses an oily/wet or whatever you want to call them. I have remedied this by taking the advise from and Ol' Texan.

He told me that if I like a dryer sausage to put in the refrigerator (already smoked and cured) on paper towels for about ten days or until the dryness is achieved to your taste. I've done this and as of right now I have three different brands I really like now.

Here is a list of my favorite sticks;

Wenzel's Farms: https://www.wenzelsfarm.com/snack-sticks/spicy/

Dukes Original & Hatch Green Chile Shorty's: https://dukesmeats.com/

Old Trapper Original Deli Style: https://oldtrapper.com/collections/snack-sticks/products/original-deli-style-beef-sticks

So, tell me how you like your sticks and if there's a favorite you prefer.

NW
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated...

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibber-jabber
Re: Meat Sticks/Beef Sticks/Snack Sticks
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 08:21:26 PM »
Like you I'm more interested in making my own cured meat...in the future.

I'll look into the Links you suggest.
   So I haven't bought anything in awhile, and didn't pay attention to the names; however I have had luck with some dry cured sausages found in I_talian markets. Those may not qualify as the Trucker's convenience food I think you are talking about.

Of course such things are not exclusively Italian, and I don't mean only pepperoni or salami...memory jogged..there was another member who brought up dry curing some sausages as a beginner I just don't remember hearing about his success. Good topic and motivator
  Not much help just some early thoughts
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 08:48:19 PM »
Loved the Penrose pickled sausage when you could still get it in the jar, but that's not quite the same as type of sticks you're talking about.  Lately, we've been buying lots of the Aldi's turkey sticks.  Not spicy at all---wish it were.  We've tried the Aldi's beef sticks, but found them too greasy and the texture nor the taste was as pleasing as their turkey sticks.  I'm going to have to look for those Duke's you linked.  They supposedly have them at Publix just a few miles from here.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline NoseWarmer

• Whetstone
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 08:53:34 PM »
One thing that I personally don't care for in some of the "Italian" cure style is the seasonings.

I have bought Biltong in the past, and it's a flavor that you have to get use too. It's pickled which is strange to me.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biltong

I guess that Droewors would be the South African version of a dried meat stick her, I have also tried them, again the seasoning is different, nutmeg & coriander.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dro?wors

Offline NoseWarmer

• Whetstone
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 08:55:55 PM »
Loved the Penrose pickled sausage when you could still get it in the jar, but that's not quite the same as type of sticks you're talking about.  Lately, we've been buying lots of the Aldi's turkey sticks.  Not spicy at all---wish it were.  We've tried the Aldi's beef sticks, but found them too greasy and the texture nor the taste was as pleasing as their turkey sticks.  I'm going to have to look for those Duke's you linked.  They supposedly have them at Publix just a few miles from here.

The Duke's are good, but expensive, depending on where you can find them they go for $5.00-$9.00 a bag of 12.

I have found them at Wal-Mart for $4.00 and change.

Try the fridge trick, it seems like it take some of the "stuff" out of them.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 09:15:46 PM »
https://www.scandinavianfoodstore.com/willys-pinnekj?tt

Actually last time I was in the store; it's pizza place, they didn't have the sausages so I couldn't even go get them to give the name. I got a couple for a camp trip. One was better than the other on flavor, I recall that now.
So really they were only good not great. I can sorta imagine, with some of those beneficial molds, making your own will involve some unfamiliar tastes.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 09:31:11 PM »
Why don't you try making some of your own?   I'm certain you could use or modify the simple recipes in this thread to whatever taste you're after and you don't even need a smoker.....you make it right in your home oven.   Just make the rolls skinnier and dry them longer for a finger-sized meat stick......

http://bladesandbushlore.com/index.php?topic=3820.msg66052#msg66052
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 09:37:16 PM by wolfy »
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 10:56:27 AM »
As Wolfy says, you can make a decent "dry" oven sausage out of ground beef.  One of our holiday favorites because it's so easy and doesn't involve smoking, or stuffing casings.
I prefer to make my own also, and doing that eliminates the alphabet soup of preservatives you find in commercial products. I make my own pepperoni and beef sticks stuffed in collagen casings, but it's labor intensive.
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2018, 04:11:17 PM »
Ah. I suppose I overlooked the qualifier of the quotation marks "Cured" 

-Unknown

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 06:48:42 PM »
This place has always been kind of the 'standard bearer' for sausage-making supplies.....

https://www.sausagemaker.com/

I was just cruising around in there and found spices and bare-bones 'kits' for making dried meat sticks at home......might be the quickest way to an end-product that looks more like the commercial products. :shrug:  Be careful though, you could spend a small fortune in there......I know I could! :lol:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline NoseWarmer

• Whetstone
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2018, 06:55:40 PM »
This place has always been kind of the 'standard bearer' for sausage-making supplies.....

https://www.sausagemaker.com/

I was just cruising around in there and found spices and bare-bones 'kits' for making dried meat sticks at home......might be the quickest way to an end-product that looks more like the commercial products. :shrug:  Be careful though, you could spend a small fortune in there......I know I could! :lol:

Thanks Wolfy, I tend to migrate to the "processing" area of the local sports shops looking at all the grinders and slicers.

As for seasonings, the best one that I have come across is LEMS; http://www.lemproducts.com/?r=LEMProductCategories&src=BINGLEM&msclkid=e2dbb83824051efd7c39e2bfaf68029b&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=BR_Search_BING&utm_term=lem%20meat&utm_content=LEM%20Product%20Categories

With the Jerky seasoning, it seems less "chemical" tasting.

Offline NoseWarmer

• Whetstone
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2018, 06:56:11 PM »
Why don't you try making some of your own?   I'm certain you could use or modify the simple recipes in this thread to whatever taste you're after and you don't even need a smoker.....you make it right in your home oven.   Just make the rolls skinnier and dry them longer for a finger-sized meat stick......

http://bladesandbushlore.com/index.php?topic=3820.msg66052#msg66052

Thanks for the link!

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2018, 05:57:07 AM »
I am a fan of slim jims, i know they are greasy and made of the parts of many different species, but i do love them.
Nice matters

Offline NoseWarmer

• Whetstone
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2018, 08:01:56 PM »
I am a fan of slim jims, i know they are greasy and made of the parts of many different species, but i do love them.

They make a GREAT laxative :)

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2018, 04:55:56 AM »

The secret is all the grease. :rofl:
Nice matters

Offline NoseWarmer

• Whetstone
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2018, 02:42:53 PM »

The secret is all the grease. :rofl:

That it is :)

Offline Plinsc

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2018, 06:22:06 AM »
Haha! The secret is in the grease! We called them slime Jim?s (as we ate them)

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2018, 10:46:59 PM »

So I prefer a dryer stick verses an oily/wet or whatever you want to call them. I have remedied this by taking the advise from and Ol' Texan.

So, tell me how you like your sticks and if there's a favorite you prefer.

NW

NW,    I've tried a lot of different meat recipes over the years and finally settled on one that easy - quick - relatively inexpensive. It does however contain nitrites. if that is an issue then this post is mute.
Needed: a nice roast. minimal fat. Large layered fat will be trimmed out and become waste. Marbled fat will be an acquired taste. Best not to start
              out with it.
              A Sharp knife and cutting board
              Glass bowl or zip lock baggie
              Hi Mountain Jerky cure and seasoning (start out with the original blend) One kit will do 15 lbs of meat. So 1 is enough. (himtnjerky.com)
   When slicing the meat, no pice should be more than 1/4 inch thick. This allows the cure to completely penetrate. Blot out as much moisture as is
   reasonable from both sides of the meat. (You're trying to dry this meat anyway, may as well blot up what you can)
   The fat you trim off can go into one of those net bags the onions come in and be hung out for the birds. They love it.                     
       Follow the directions exactly. A kitchen scale is nice. Do not over apply the cure. Marinate in the fridge for a day or more. 3 days won't hurt.

Cook in the kitchen oven with a metal spatula stuck in the door so it won't quite close. Lets the moisture out.
       About 200 degrees F.  (93*C) Your trying to dry it, not cook it. The directions say about 60 to 90 minutes, I seem to have to double that in my electric oven. Don't know why but after about 2 1/2 to 3 hours the jerky will still look a little too red. pull out a piece and try it. If it seems to flexible (raw) you might need a little more time but if it starts to turn dark, you've left it in too long. Don't throw it out. Let it rest for a day or two in the fridge and taste it again. 
       4 pound roast will yield about 1 1/2 lbs of jerky. Compared to a package of "Jack Link's" or some other brand, it's inexpensive and I think it tastes better.

You can use the dehydrator  you use for your apples too if you have one with a fan.

The little pieces left over after trimming, to small to cure. Throw em in a frying pan with a splash of Worchester sauce and a nice sprinkling of salt and pepper. Fry to taste and enjoy.

your cost for this is minimal. especially if you like venison and have it available. I use beef roast. Cheaper the better but minimal fat.

This jerky will keep for days without refrigeration, tastes good, habit forming and not as hard on your teeth as some of the commercial jerky's.

I find the Hi Mountain  jerky cure and seasoning in my local grocery store but it's also sold at Cabelas.

I have no association with Hi Mountain. It works good, tastes good. Like a good Wagner cast iron pan, you don't mind bragging them up a little.

Offline NoseWarmer

• Whetstone
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2018, 06:39:59 PM »
@ Pete,

Thanks for the information, Nitrites aren't an issue.