Author Topic: Best crawfish trap design?  (Read 738 times)

Offline weedeater64

• Whetstone +
Best crawfish trap design?
« on: March 02, 2018, 06:09:56 PM »
Any experienced mudbuggers here?

What's the best trap design, tips&tricks?
It is time to refuse to tiptoe around people who claim respect, consideration, special treatment, on the grounds that they have a religious faith, as if having faith were a privilege endowing virtue, as if it were noble to believe in unsupported claims and ancient superstitions. - A.C. Grayling

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Re: Best crawfish trap design?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 07:34:08 PM »
My buddy used to make his own.  We don't get the BIG 'bugs like they do down around Lafayette, but he wasn't eating them, either.   Ground & sun-ripened crawfish were the secret, but vital, element in his catfish dip-bait.  That stuff would almost make ya' puke, but the catfish LOVED it!  :drool:

He used the funnel-trap design from Texas A&M, but the pillow style works almost as well.....

http://fisheries.tamu.edu/files/2013/09/SRAC-Publication-No.-2404-Crawfish-Trap-Design-and-Construction.pdf
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline weedeater64

• Whetstone +
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 08:15:49 PM »
I probably should have mentioned I'm planning to make some. I have some 1/2" galvanized hardware cloth laying around from I can't remember what I intend to use. I think I can get two from what I have.

One thing I want them for is live bait, also for the pot.

Haven't done it in years but I use to make some cheese-n-brains bait that would make you puke after a few days of cooking in a hole in the ground. Good times!!

I've almost decided to give this design a go.

http://www.terrybullard.com/crayfish_products.html

Thought I'd see if anyone with experience had a favorite.

Square has some appeal for ease of construction, but I see very few people making them. Not sure why.
It is time to refuse to tiptoe around people who claim respect, consideration, special treatment, on the grounds that they have a religious faith, as if having faith were a privilege endowing virtue, as if it were noble to believe in unsupported claims and ancient superstitions. - A.C. Grayling

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 11:17:55 PM »
My preferred method of crawdadin' is wading around a lake shore in about a foot of water with a dim flashlight and a bucket.  8)  4 adults and 5 kids filled 5 five-gallon buckets in about 3 hours.These were 6"-8" crawdads, but they cooked up just fine.

All the traps I've used were homemade.  Funnel traps work well, but cube shaped traps with funnel ends are easier to set. If the ones you're after are good sized, you can use 3/4" mesh chicken wire which is easier to work with than hardware cloth. A buddy of mine even made traps out of 2 liter soda bottles with rocks inside to weight them down.  Cut off the spout end, cut it back to enlarge the opening, then invert it and tape it to the main jug body.  Just like a wasp trap, with a larger opening. The only problem is having to untape it to empty it.  Traps seem to be a PITA to me. Like I said, I'd rather wade, grab, toss in bucket and keep going. Doing this with kids makes the entertainment value priceless.
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.