Author Topic: GPS, What ya got?  (Read 552 times)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
GPS, What ya got?
« on: March 18, 2018, 01:30:08 PM »
I have been having a dispute about the property line out back. The Neighbor insists it's the old fence line. Won't accept the steel spikes driven into the ground with orange tops on them.

So, I have a Magellen GPS 2000XL from about 25 years ago. It is actually way more accurate now than it was new, back when the signal was still scrambled some.

I am hoping to enter the two property spikes into it and track between the two to see which one of us is right about where the line is.

This thing is huge, like an old walkie talkie. not sure how long the batteries will last. no mapping option. I'll upgrade to a Garmin etrex 30 I think eventually.

What are your thoughts and what ya using? I know Wolfy, Map and compass. Problem is I couldn't get the bearing from the GSIS map on the county website. Those markers aren't on other county maps. sooooo...
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Re: GPS, What ya got?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 01:41:44 PM »
One of our property markers in NC is "The big hickory tree".  lol.  Gone and forgotten.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 02:23:33 PM »
The plat/survey should clearly state how the property line/corners are marked, give all length values in feet, and map coordinates in lat/long.  All of my corners and weigh points in between are marked with rebar.  Have you checked with your county records office for the survey/plat on file?
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 06:33:33 PM »
An accurate GPS is nowhere near accurate enough for a survey check.  If the pins are gone then the only reliable method I know of is a resurvey with the proper equipment. 

If you have a plat map as Nuke mentions it would be a fairly simple matter for a licensed surveyor to restake the line in question.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 03:09:30 AM »
Back in the day deeds were written so and so by so and so plus or minus 1/2 acre. Mine states number of feet. The ground stakes in the corners are there. Nipper was back there on my property with a D.E.C. Warden. He was claiming I cut down a young hemlock from his property and was demanding monetary compensation. The officer sided with me, stated there was no way of determining the value of the tree, and if he had a dispute over the property line he would have to pay for a spot survey and them take me to small claims court.

I've not heard a word from him after that. He did put a posted sign on the stack of camp wood I have between two trees. Then he later kicked the stack over scattering the logs.

Thinking of setting up a trail camera or 5 and leaving some axes and saws laying nearby.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.