Author Topic: A Tale of Age and Wisdom...  (Read 1025 times)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
A Tale of Age and Wisdom...
« on: March 19, 2018, 08:19:13 AM »
     ...over youth and bravado.

Kelly and I hit the beach for 4 day camp near Crescent Beach.  You can drive on the beach but only 4wd is allowed.  For good reason.  Now our Subaru Outback has all wheel drive.  It is a target of derision from "true" 4wd'ers.  So on the last day we hit the beach again and just before we left 3 "Bubba" trucks growls towards us on the one lane one way track you have to stay in.  The first two made a big mess of the track in front of us parking perpendicular to the ocean rather than parallel like everyone else.  The third gunned his 2wd truck with 33" (?) mudders on the back.  Sand started spraying before he was even with us.  As he pulled right in front of us his back right tire started REALLY throwing sand...on our car...and in my open window.  He buried his rig to the axle.  His friends started hooting and hollering until they saw us behind him.  Kelly took it in stride and smiled and waved.  She had a "Bubba" truck when I first met her and sand is easier to clean than mud. 

The peanut crew stood with their red Solo cups and began to smirk, spit, and smile at our little car.  I oh so slowly backed back into the ruts (because the DA blocked any forward progress),  put her in forward, and slowly inched by them.  Smiling and waving at them as they stared slack jawed at our passage.  I wanted so bad to yell something like,  "How do you like our lesbianmobile now!  You just got SCHOOLED by 2 old people!"

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
Re: A Tale of Age and Wisdom...
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 09:01:45 AM »
Great story, love watching arrogant idiots put into their place
Nice matters

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 09:03:53 AM »
I was waiting for the part where the two bubba trucks couldn't pull their buddy out so you did it for them. LOL!!

That is one of our pet peeves in the mud boggers. The big guy's always seem to do that if their buddy gets stuck. like ha sitting duck gonna getcha. Rude and wrong. A rock could kill someone.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 09:26:09 AM »
:cheers: :lol:

Been there, done that.  I remember when I was a 4x4'er in my early 20's. I made a trip up a gawd-awful jeep trail in the Cascade Mts.  When I got to the top, I was SO proud of my rig and my driving ability. Then I saw it.  A Volkswagen Beetle with an "old guy" in his 50's leaning against the hood, sipping his cup 'o, and enjoying the scenery.  :doh:
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 01:22:32 PM »
I took my Land Cruiser FJ40 up a really steep and rocky road, crossed a foot deep torrent of water coming down a creek channel, slogged through a mud hole that made you get a running start to bust onto the other side, and found a VW bug parked at the trail head to the lake we were going to fish.  I couldn't understand how he got there but there he was. 

Good story Max.  Always good to show up the riff raff.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 07:29:26 PM »
Thanks for the laugh!   :cheers:
"In the school of the woods, there is no graduation day."  Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibber-jabber
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 07:42:08 PM »
Do you really think that schooled them? They probably do the same thing 20 times a day whether there is a subu or not. You just happened to be a witness-
  Glad you made it
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 11:16:35 PM »
Speaking of VeeDubs in the back woods, Charles Metsker started making maps of the PNW in 1901 and opened first Metsker family map store in Seattle in 1950. I never ran into him personally, but he made enhanced maps based upon Forest Service maps, and USGS topo maps. He traveled thousands of miles of Washington's back woods, annotating the his maps with washouts, berms, gates and other useful overlays.  Every road and trail he traveled was in an old VW Bug.  As a young adventurer in the Cascades and Olympic, I lived and almost died by his maps. I still have a shoebox full of them, printed back in the 60's.

http://www.metskers.com/c1439/About-Us.html

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 06:13:57 AM »
Do you really think that schooled them? They probably do the same thing 20 times a day whether there is a subu or not. You just happened to be a witness-
  Glad you made it

Oh I don't know.  I'll bet his buddy's will be bringing it up for a long time.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 07:51:45 AM »
I have pulled stuck Subaru cars out of the sand in Ocala NF.   Just saying............. ....  :)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 08:30:11 AM »
Yeah yeah.  Just don't get too puffed up and get us stuck this week.  I'm packing a 72 hr pack jic. 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2018, 09:26:41 AM »
It's jerks like this who tear up our back roads with their mud boggers every spring.
I have a 30 year old Suburban that weighs in at ~6,000lb, and will go just about anywhere. But it has mediocre clearance (about 10") so 12" ruts are a pain.  With my Samurai, I just ride the hump and have no issue, but the Suburban is too wide sometimes.

Offline Marta34

• Mill File
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2018, 01:17:44 PM »
:cheers: :lol:

Been there, done that.  I remember when I was a 4x4'er in my early 20's. I made a trip up a gawd-awful jeep trail in the Cascade Mts.  When I got to the top, I was SO proud of my rig and my driving ability. Then I saw it.  A Volkswagen Beetle with an "old guy" in his 50's leaning against the hood, sipping his cup 'o, and enjoying the scenery.  :doh:

I had a similar experience in 2015... can't forget that day...

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2018, 05:41:09 AM »
I love these stories.
I learned how to drive on logging roads in New Brunswick going fishing with my dad.
Very rarely did he own a 4x4, so he spent a lot of time teaching me the skills to get a 2 wheel drive car into some unlikely places.
Fast forward 30+ years and I've spent the last few years taking Toyota Yaris into some places guys hesitate with in trucks.
The negatives of the short and low wheel base can be off-set by the narrowness and light weight.
"Learning: a continuation of the failure process"