Author Topic: A Daily Walk in the Woods (PICS!)  (Read 451 times)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
A Daily Walk in the Woods (PICS!)
« on: March 30, 2018, 09:20:41 AM »
     In an effort to boost threads/posts (Everybody's not just me),  I'm going to try and post some outings that I take that normally I deem unworthy of comment.  Whether it's because I've done a thread on that place before or nothing really stood out as special.  I'll post pics because everybody likes those for entertainment.

Max and I walk in the woods almost every weekday.  Weekend brings out other people and dogs.  Max has never had a problem with other dogs (except his twin cousin Graylon's Sasha and they worked it out). But I've had aggressive dogs leaping at Max and I and straining the strength of the owner to hold them.  The last was a guy walking (rather they were dragging him down the path) his two pitbulls.  They went ape when they saw Max.  I stepped off the trail, sat Max down and put my hand on my gun.  The guy was struggling and I saw a tragedy about to enfold.  I yelled down the trail at the guy that I would take Max back to the truck.  He said he had them now ok.  The dogs were literally on their hind feet snarling and barking and foaming at the mouth as they past us. He smiled and said, "Sorry.  They are rescued fighting dogs."  I was open mouthed dumbfounded.  Max wouldn't have stood a chance.  But neither would his dogs against 9mm hollow points.  No more weekend woods walks until it gets hot and nobody goes out.

This is a place Max loves to stop by.  He has a very strict routine here.  It is a gated nature conservation area.

First he likes to collect some chiggers and ticks walking through the weeds as he forages on his favorite grass.

Then he finds perfect spot to do his business.  Let the doo doo dance begin.

Then we walk.  Well I walk.  He walks, stops, sniffs, pees, sniff again, trots to catch up, frolick in the palmettos chasing lizards, sniffs, pees, trots to catch up.  Kelly and I call this the boring place.  The occasional deer, turkey or owl if you get there early, but a boring walk.  Max likes it just fine.

I like my EDC.

Back at the truck my walk time.  This from 10 mins behind a walker and days of pain.  Thank you physical therapy and Rolfing massage.

So we get home and I get on the scale.  210.6 lbs.  That's 40 lbs since Jan, baby.  Normally this is breakfast.  Yogurt and blueberries.

But today I eat birthday cake a friend sent over.  It's good to have friends.

And it's naptime.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 09:50:04 AM by madmax »
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
Re: A Daily Walk in the Woods
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 09:47:48 AM »
Yeah it usually goes there's excitement of some kind on the trail.  Sometimes not the kind you want.  I bet Max thought he could take em!  Ha!  Thanks for sharing and happy birthday Tony! 
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Re: A Daily Walk in the Woods (PICS!)
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 10:09:51 AM »
Thanks but it was my friends birthday.  I'm a Sept baby.  LOL

Max was, as usual, ambivalent towards them and looked at them like they were crazy.  Well, his werewolf hair went up.  He got twice as big in the blink of an eye.  But sat leaning up against my leg the whole time... off leash.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 02:01:48 PM »
Thanks Tony, I liked that story and the place.

My place, today anyway, is muddy beyond belief.  Snow melt is going on and it is going fast.  I like this idea of posting short walks in the woods or wherever you might go.  A couple of pics and a little text.  Cooking food is optional, splitting wood too. 

Congrats on the weight loss.  I have dropped a paltry 26 pounds and am down to 195 at present.  Now, with my two new knee joints, I am getting around better than I have for years. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 08:13:44 PM »
Glad your getting out and doing good. I'm away all week so weekends Sasha don't let me out of her sight.
I think she love fussing with Max.
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 05:05:17 AM »
I know she does.  It's good for Max.  Sasha probably has spent more time at one time with him than any other dog.  Very good socialization practice.  You've done well with her. 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2018, 06:16:38 AM »
Great post, thanks for the pics
Nice matters

Online Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2018, 10:26:45 AM »
Sounds great Tony. Congrats on the weight loss.