Author Topic: Breakfast In The Forest (PICS!)  (Read 788 times)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Breakfast In The Forest (PICS!)
« on: April 02, 2018, 11:37:59 AM »
     Cool.  Blue skies (right now).  Head to the forest.

Clearcut logging in a wilderness area???  Ooops.  I forgot.  Fire.  The great thing is how this really really helps the wildlife.  Stepped out of my truck and boom.  I saw hundreds of deer tracks.  Nope.  Not kidding.  The road forms the edge of the wilderness area where they feed.  To my back is where they bed down.  At one bend in the road it looked like they had a dance party.

Turned off to find a place for breakfast.

I brought the Crashete.  What a beast.  The cane is for a trip over a vine or something... didn't work.  I fell.  Those vines/roots are like camo'd steel cable.

PET PEEVE!!!  Hunters that don't clean their trail markers up.

Aaaah.  Breakfast.  It ain't purty, but neither am I.

I forget about this trail. It's nice and leads you through a historic site.  You find it all excited and leave somber.  The number of gravestones in the cemetary that list cause of death fire ( that's wildfire.  As in couldn't outrun it.  Horrible.).  Percentage wise the children far outnumbered the adults.  I didn't go that far (But I will soon!).

The Florida trail.

Next I checked a primitive campground Sam and I are going to camp at in a few weeks.  It'll do.  But a family matter called  (Texted) me back to town.

Get out there when you can.  Long trips.  Short trips.  A little time recharges you.  It's like taking a happy pill.  Except for that $*#@&% in the Shasta 5th wheel traveling 40 in a 65 zone. He about blew my mellow.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 11:56:45 AM by madmax »
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Re: Breakfast In The Forest (PICS!)
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 03:52:36 PM »
     Hey Sam.  When you read this,  I scoped out Hopkins.  Lotsa spaces. That's the good news.  The bad news is the bugs are out.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 04:02:50 PM »
That's the ONE good thing about fire in an area with a dense canopy or overstory......lots more critters in a year or two. :thumbsup:

I believe even I could actually hike on those Florida trails.........the hills are more scaled to my abilities! :lol:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 10:37:12 AM »
The swampy portions of the trail is taxing on your character.  Wet feet 24/7.  Hammock camping and challenging cooking.  This is a very well maintained section of the FT.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 05:38:26 PM »
Looks like a great outing Tony. The breakfast looks great to me.

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 05:28:52 AM »
     Hey Sam.  When you read this,  I scoped out Hopkins.  Lotsa spaces. That's the good news.  The bad news is the bugs are out.
bugs can be controlled.  I have Deep Woods Off, and one of those little Off Clip-on bug repellent gizmos for the tent.  I will be back up from Miami this coming Sunday,  but I am committed to frying catfish for 100 or so retired FBI folks on the 11th.  I'm thinking the next week would be good.  Good night time temps.  Still liking Hopkins Prairie site.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 12:30:37 PM »
Yup.  Sounds good.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2018, 01:48:03 PM »
Yup. It's official. I want to hike and camp and canoe in FL now.
"Learning: a continuation of the failure process"

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2018, 02:07:47 PM »
Anytime between April and November Yeoman.  The heat and bugs are brutal any other time.

We'll keep the campfire burning for you.
Hunter S, Thompson