Author Topic: when sizing a tent  (Read 667 times)

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
when sizing a tent
« on: April 23, 2018, 05:37:49 AM »
first never believe the numbers stated on the package.
for instance a two person tent is for one person and a day pack.
a 3,person tent is for one person with all your gear or 2 people
with minimal gear, anotherwords no 5700ci packs, olways remember
tents are desingend by people who've never been camping, that's important.
a 11,person cabin tent is not made to look like a reffugee center,
thier made IMHO to be comfortable for a couple of people.
a tent of that size is not just for sleeping, you should have a dry camp setup in there.
as in a 4ft folding table propane stove cots, lanterns your gear chow and so forth,
i'm getting ready to set up our yearly camp in the grove where i do my bushcrafting
and summer cooking/camping it's 10x20,ft, and that's for two people.

when your older you need more space to relax. we keep pots/pans dishes bottle water
freeze dry food coffee ,spices and so on. the the tent stays up till late fall.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
Re: when sizing a tent
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 11:24:34 AM »
I find that is true with a lot of things. I think the cheap floor jacks are rated higher then they can handle too. Hammocks on amazon listed as double are usually under 9'. That's okay if you're under 5' tall.

The sawyer mini and squeeze seem to fail reaching their listed gallons of filtration.

I notice too some back packs that are 45L are thin and tall so a lot of things are too wide to stuff in.

I need to study metric comparisons too. I didn't buy some cordage today because I wasn't certain how many feet were in 10 meters...
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 11:44:02 AM »
I can only speak for my experiences with tent sizes, but we found the old Eureka Timberline 4-man model to be about the limit for two people on an extended canoe trip.  Just enough, but certainly not an excess of room for people and gear.  Not a backpacking tent, but perfectly suitable for canoe trips.

My hands-down favorite 4-season, WOLFY APPROVED tentage of all time for two people in an extended-stay situation would be the 16 foot Sioux tipi with the Crow-style extended smoke flaps w/liner & 1/2 floor! :thumbsup:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline NoseWarmer

• Mill File+
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 11:45:39 AM »
I didn't buy some cordage today because I wasn't certain how many feet were in 10 meters...

32.8 feet  :)

Anymore I think people make stuff up as they go along... Clothing, shoe, gloves and so on are never the right size.

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated...