Author Topic: New Cast Iron  (Read 925 times)

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
New Cast Iron
« on: May 09, 2018, 04:00:11 PM »
Picked up a new Lodge 12" Deep Camp Dutch Oven and a Camp Chef 16" Camp Dutch Oven recently. Been wanting a 16" oven for a while. It's a beast, weighing in at 36 lbs. Plan on testing them both out in a couple of weeks. Gonna have to quadruple my biscuit recipe for that one.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 04:37:16 PM by Yellowyak »

Offline randyt

• Whetstone +
Re: New Cast iron
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 04:21:32 PM »
that's awesome. A vendor gave me a cabelas gift card for Christmas so with that I ordered in a 12 inch lodge. Looking forward to using it but I've been distracted with reflector ovens lol

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Re: New Cast Iron
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 04:54:35 PM »
I think you'll like that deep 12," Greg......much easier to manage the heat when roasting a big ol' chicken.  I just looked at a discontinued 16" Lodge oven that sold for somewhere north of $300 on eBay last week.  :rolleyes:     There was another 'Buy It Now' Lodge 16" on there, too, but the guy was asking $350 dollars for it.....outrageous! :shocked: 
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 05:15:15 PM »
Thanks guys.

Wolfy, I wish Lodge still made those 16" ovens. The quality of the Camp Chef unit looks pretty good, I'm sure it will work out great.

I had a 12" deep previously and I traded it for a 12" standard with Sixfooter at one of our camps. He was cooking a big pot roast and the roast was touching the top of the lid, was a good deal for both of us. Still, you can't have too much iron.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 06:03:54 PM »
Heather would argue with you on that! :rofl:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 12:11:12 AM »
I would like a sixteen inch but it is farther down the list. I want a couple of tables with wind screens for my dutch ovens, I am getting tired of lugging around bricks. As I am sure all of you know, garage sales and flea markets are hit and run but you can score big. Other than the tables I am trying to add to my collection older cast iron.

I have seen the camp chief at sportsmans warehouse, they seem light, it might be me but i have never seen one in use or know anyone that has.
Nice matters

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 04:53:33 AM »
I'm glad you found some good iron Greg.  Especially the discontinued 16" er.  I moved my DO's yesterday, getting ready for summer trip, and my back hurt after the 12" er.  lol.  I will be on the look out this summer for some bigger stuff in WNC and ETN.  Maybe the Lodge Outlet in Sevierville will have some big ones.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 08:21:55 AM »
nice score on the biggun!   I really need to start using mine more.

I did score a Griswald #6 skillet off eBay yesterday.  Hope to get it this week.

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2018, 03:45:52 PM »
Nice score on the Griswald. I don't have any, but I'll look forward to seeing your's at our next camp. Used the new 16" DO recently, did a great job and is of great quality.

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2018, 08:00:39 PM »
regardless of the weight you can't go wrong with good cast iron.
just sayin' the original teflon cookware.
for instance one of my best pots is a late 1800's wagner dutch oven
with a bail wire handle. i traded 2 bench planes for it.

Offline Haminn

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 08:16:36 AM »
I started off with a couple newer pieces, Calphalon 12" skillet and grill pan. Big, heavy, pebbly, but they worked fine. My stove burners are a bit close together to use the big 12" pan while using other burners, so I started looking into some other pans and finding some cast iron at antique sales. I got hooked.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2018, 10:33:03 AM »
Yes, it is easy to get hooked on cast iron.  We use it for all our frying and a lot of things we bake these days. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2018, 10:58:30 AM »
I guess I should start a new thread on my newest crush.  Cold handle steel.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2018, 12:18:40 PM »
That might be an interesting thread Tony.  I have a couple of the little ones.

I had a faint memory that you already did and I was right.  Back in 2013 you posted a photo of one your MIL gave you.

http://bladesandbushlore.com/index.php?topic=5213.0
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 12:29:35 PM by wsdstan »
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2018, 12:57:50 PM »
Thanks Stan!  I have that skillet in my Rendezvous gear box.  I will put up some pics of all the deals I found this summer soon.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline SIXFOOTER

• Whetstone +
  • Wandering Smartass
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2018, 06:42:23 PM »
I still use that 12 deep regularly too
Maker of all things Archaic, Hoarder of Gear and Fluent speaker of BS
Sixfooter got bit by a snake like that once, then after 4 agonizing days... The snake finally died....

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2018, 05:32:40 AM »
I still use that 12 deep regularly too

I was going to pop for one this summer and Kelly reminded me we had her grandmother's in the warming tray of the stove at home.  It's clean as a whistle too.  We're close to having a full set at home and in the cabin.  Woo Hoo!
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2018, 06:42:30 AM »
 My most used cast iron cookware are my 10" skillets, 10" flat griddle, and enameled 10" ribbed steak pan, an 8" skillet that only gets used for cornbread,  another well used skillet is my 10" covered deep chicken fryer, it's like half skillet/half Dutch Oven. 
 As for Dutch ovens, I have three that are enamel coated, two oval, one round,  the small one gets used for baking beans,  the round one for most stews and soups,  the large oval one for roasting chickens,  I also have two 10" uncoated Dutch ovens and one 12" deep, and a 10" camp oven,  I also have two new to me vintage ovens that are in the process of being renewed,  one has gone through the oven cleaning cycle and is on it's third day in a vinegar bath,  the other isn't as bad, a trip in the oven should clean it up ok.
 All but a few of my cast iron collection are Grizwold or Wagner Sidney,  I have a few unbranded pieces that were put out by the big two, and a couple of MIAMI branded skillets that date back to 1916~1926,  I guess you could say I'm a fan of cast iron.   
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2018, 05:58:18 AM »
cast iron skillets are used daily.  Yesterday for breakfast and dinner.