Author Topic: I have got to have one of these.  (Read 308 times)

Offline weedeater64

• Whetstone +
I have got to have one of these.
« on: May 15, 2018, 10:03:01 PM »
I know how pump drills work and have built one before. Never seen one used in a drill press though. I can not make out how he got the press/up/down action from this video.

Anyone ever seen one of these?

If not, care to speculate as to how it works?
It is time to refuse to tiptoe around people who claim respect, consideration, special treatment, on the grounds that they have a religious faith, as if having faith were a privilege endowing virtue, as if it were noble to believe in unsupported claims and ancient superstitions. - A.C. Grayling

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone
Re: I have got to have one of these.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 11:58:46 PM »
I went into settings for you tube and slowed the speed down as much as I could (25%) and at 4:43 it looks like he is squeezing the spindle between his index finger and his middle finger. When he starts up again you can see his index finger relax as the spindle starts to rotate. Just speculation on my part. Does anyone agree or did I miss something different?

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 07:29:43 AM »
Very cool video!
"In the school of the woods, there is no graduation day."  Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline weedeater64

• Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 08:54:14 AM »
I think you are right Pete. I had downloaded the video to replay slower, and I never caught the finger action but after watching several times I still don't see any mechanism build in, so it must be. I did notice, which I hadn't before, that the spindle stops with each raising.

I found another search term if anyone is interested. Jewelers drill, or jewelers pump drill. I saw a video of this one and it appears to have a spring loaded base that pushes the work up. I wouldn't care for this I think, but it is interesting.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/attachments/f38/112355d1405781651-jewelers-manual-pump-drill-press-project-pumpdrill5.jpg
It is time to refuse to tiptoe around people who claim respect, consideration, special treatment, on the grounds that they have a religious faith, as if having faith were a privilege endowing virtue, as if it were noble to believe in unsupported claims and ancient superstitions. - A.C. Grayling

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 10:26:27 PM »
That was fun to watch. I'm sure Pete is right- since that is the only way ;)
  Not to oversimplify the timing and calibration of the control arm /pinchers assembly; but the pinchers should release at the start of the power stroke and free-ride on the upstroke before engaging at the apex. Of course one could reposition the feed controller to raise the bit, if needed for some reason, but is obviously too awkward, slow to use in normal operation.
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown