Author Topic: Darwin Award Attempt  (Read 452 times)

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
Darwin Award Attempt
« on: May 23, 2018, 05:16:32 AM »
http://www.thestate.com/news/nation-world/national/article211609889.html

A South Carolina man thought he was going to enjoy a day outdoors with family Sunday, when things took a frightening turn.

The man, who was kayaking, was bitten multiple times by a rattlesnake and had to be rushed to an area hospital, according to Colleton County Fire Chief Barry McRoy.

The incident occurred when 28-year-old Anderson man Michael Adams and family members were kayaking on the Edisto River.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 06:21:40 AM by Mannlicher »

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
We certainly have our share of dimwits, dullards, and downright idiots here in SC.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Now now guys.  Don't make fun.  There's a guy in Alabama that picked up a coral snake to give to his brother,  fighting for his life right now.  Paralyzed in ICU.  No shortage of crazy.

https://www.usatoday.com/videos/news/nation/2018/05/16/alabama-father-paralyzed-after-venomous-coral-snake-bite/34989551/
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Mill File+
"D'oh"
          (Homer Simpson 1989 - present)

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
http://www.thestate.com/news/nation-world/national/article211609889.html

A South Carolina man thought he was going to enjoy a day outdoors with family Sunday, when things took a frightening turn.

The man, who was kayaking, was bitten multiple times by a rattlesnake and had to be rushed to an area hospital, according to Colleton County Fire Chief Barry McRoy.

The incident occurred when 28-year-old Anderson man Michael Adams and family members were kayaking on the Edisto River.
I was skeptical of the original "rattlesnake fell out of a tree and bit me while I was minding my own business" story. The updated "dude tried to catch a rattlesnake and got bit" story makes more sense ... well it doesn't exactly make sense but y'all know what I mean.
"In the school of the woods, there is no graduation day."  Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
I saw the fell out of the tree story.  Wasn't aware of the updated version.  You reap what you sow.  In this case stupidity reaped a trip to the hospital. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
It's not dumb to pick up a rattle snake- I don't think so. It ain't too smart to reach down with your hand alone to do so. Nor is it advisable for it to be the first snake one has ever caught
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener in a war

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
It's not dumb to pick up a rattle snake- I don't think so. It ain't too smart to reach down with your hand alone to do so. Nor is it advisable for it to be the first snake one has ever caught

I think it is dumb.  There is not one iota of potential gain when you just pick one up to pick it up.  The best thing that can happen is you won't get bit which is also what will happen if you don't pick it up in the first place. 

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
Picking up a rattlesnake is not dumb.  It's phucking stoopid!

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
My sentiments too Nuke but I was trying to cut down on my cussing this week after branding a few hundred rowdy heifers with my neighbor.   :)
(Mark Twain)

Online Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
My sentiments too Nuke but I was trying to cut down on my cussing this week after branding a few hundred rowdy heifers with my neighbor.   :)

LOL,  You're getting too old for that kind of schitt Amigo. 
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix

Dad was a vet.  He got cow kicked in the face one time on a routine exam.  One side of his face swelled up the size of a softball.  His eye swelled shut.  He finished the job.  I thought for sure when that swelling went down he'd have only one eye.  Damn cowboy / marine / vet.  Tough act to follow.  Oh yeah.  He was a maestro in the art of profanity.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: Darwin Award Attempt
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2018, 08:00:17 AM »
Never too old Moe.  Just get more young kids to help and do the easy jobs like branding, shots, pouring, or ear tagging. 

Max one of the local vets here was preg. checking a few years ago.  Had his arm in above the elbow.  Cow falls down in the chute and drags him down in the "slop" on the bottom of the alley.  Guy running the chute opens it up to let the cow get up and out but the next cow in line gets in and steps on the Vet.  I learned two new cuss word combinations that day. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Mill File+
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2018, 09:53:24 AM »
Many years ago we had the vet out to assist with a difficult calving. Black Angus first calf heifer.

He said "Here, hold her tail up and forward so she can't kick."

Seconds later she double barreled him with both legs, leaving  a bit of manure on each of his ears. The vet just turned pale white.

"Well, I guess that didn't work." was all he said.

Wife was watching one of the popular reality vet shows the other day.

The TV vet comments "Oh, it's OK, cows can't kick backwards"

Wife thought is was so funny, she had to come in to the other room to tell me about it. She  was the one holding the tail for the vet that night so long ago.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2018, 10:26:50 AM »
Animal husbandry usually has a few crash courses from the school of hard knocks. For kids of all ages.  And you don't forget those.  LOL.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2018, 04:46:42 PM »
Someone somewhere has to pick up the poison snakes as part of the antivenom manufacturing process, because it's not like there are robots to do that job.  I stand by my statement that picking up snakes is not a dumb thing to do-if you know how to do so in a safe as possible manner.

Very recently a 70_ish year old man was struck by a car after he had pulled over on a rural highway to assist a turtle crossing the road - one will see many, many turtles crossing roads this time of year around here. Unusual and unfortunate things happen with regularity. Apparently there is nothing to be done about it except to carry on and pray none of it happens to you.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener in a war

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2018, 09:26:24 PM »
Picking up snakes with your bare hands is dumb.  The people who harvest venom do it in a controlled environment with the proper tools.  This guy picked it up for no reason at all and that is what is dumb.
(Mark Twain)

Online Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2018, 06:35:46 AM »
Picking up snakes with your bare hands is dumb.  The people who harvest venom do it in a controlled environment with the proper tools.  This guy picked it up for no reason at all and that is what is dumb.

LOL, I bet he knows that now,  some of life's lessons are hard learned,  but they're the kind you don't forget, if you live through them. 
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2018, 08:46:44 AM »
The only part missing from the original story is where the guy said, "Hold my beer!  Watch this!"