Author Topic: Apparently too hot to forge :-(  (Read 643 times)

Offline Dabberty

• Whetstone +
    • My outdoor & DIY blog
Apparently too hot to forge :-(
« on: May 30, 2018, 08:54:23 AM »
My little boy is spending the afternoon ar grandma?s, so i had some free time to forge from an old file/rasp, a skrama clone for a friend of mine.
Got all prepared, lit up my forge 3.0, and after the 10 minutes the hairdryer powering it all, stopped.
Too hot..
So i changed it?s location from under the forge to next to the forge, and it worked again... for a few minutes only.
Again too hot..
So i jumped in the car to the homestead shop, bought a longer pipe so the forge would be 2 feet further away.
Seemed to work fine, till after about 10 minutes it shut down again.
So it?s not he heat from the forge but the hairsryer itself.
(The hot air function was already disabled)
Today is quite a hot day, 32c or 89.6f, and it seems that the hairdryer, can?t cope with it, since it worked perfectly fine in colder days earlier this year.
Now I could switch back to using ventilators but then i loose a lot of power and heating up metal will take much longer, which i am not willing to sacrifice.

Looks like I have to wait till it?s colder again, or buy some expensive new hairdryer..
Or does someone else here have a solution for me ?

My outdoor & DIY blog:  www.dabberty.com

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
Re: Apparently too hot to forge :-(
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 01:52:00 PM »
Have you checked to see if it's just too dirty to cool itself? Maybe debris in the fan or shroud. If the heating element isn't on it should handle the outside temps easily.

Maybe just worn out? How old is it?
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Dabberty

• Whetstone +
    • My outdoor & DIY blog
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 02:01:27 PM »
Completely cleaned it when i was disabling the heating element, and removed everything in front of the sucktion part of the fan.
It is not more then 10 years old.
And it did work fine when temps were close to freezing point..

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 04:59:32 PM »
Nothing is more than 10 years. It's a throw away society.

How about a shop, wet/dry vac with the exhaust going into the forge?
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 06:35:05 PM »
Yeah, sounds like it's time for a new hair dryer.  10 years is a long time on one of those.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline NoseWarmer

• Whetstone
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 07:45:23 PM »
I vote leaf blower...
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated...

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 08:34:09 PM »
One of my neighbors is a sculptor who pours his bronzes at a forge he built at his ranch.  It is a propane forge and he uses an old vacuum cleaner set up to blow air.  Doesn't seem to have any problems with it. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Dabberty

• Whetstone +
    • My outdoor & DIY blog
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 12:34:56 AM »
Xj35s, that a great idea, i do have a vac shop, how come i didn?t think of that?
I will try that next, and otherwise i guess a new hairdryer.

Thank you all!

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 05:57:58 PM »
Just a thought because my brain doesn't ever stop thinking. The vac's are high volume. Maybe cut a pvc pipe a little smaller diamete than the vacuum hose and slit it so it clamps around the hose. Drill holes on the vac hose and you can cover or uncover as many holes as needed to get the air supply you need at the forge. 6, 1/2" holes should give enough adjustment I would think.

Or just a new hair dryer.... :tent:

Offline Dabberty

• Whetstone +
    • My outdoor & DIY blog
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2018, 09:15:36 AM »
The whole forging thing is off for a while. My son got bitten in the face by the neighbors dog, and is stitched up. Doc said it will be fine, but my focus will be on him and his recovery now.
Once i get around the forge again, i will share the progress here.
Thank you for the feedback on how to bypass my hairdryer issue !

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibber-jabber
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2018, 11:06:06 AM »
Eek. Dang Dabb; I ( we) hope your son's injury is not too bad- considering the bite location. We wish him and your family the best outcome.
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2018, 11:14:17 AM »
That is a piece of bad news....I hope it was not too bad and he heals quickly with minimal scarring!
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2018, 11:41:57 AM »
What brought that on? Has it always been an aggressive dog? I love my dog's but I wouldn't keep one that has done that.

I feel so bad for him. Heal quick Lil' man.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2018, 06:53:04 PM »
Sorry to hear that Dabberty.  Hope he heals up well and has no issues with dogs in the future. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Dabberty

• Whetstone +
    • My outdoor & DIY blog
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2018, 02:43:11 AM »
Thank you. Doc said this morning that it heals fine, and minimum scars should be visible.
What brought it on ? Apparently that dog is getting old and grumpy, and didn't like my son to come too close (4 inches?).
My boy is slightly spoiled, as we have a big old dog, but they like each other, and my boy can do anything with that dog, so he has not fear for dogs in general.
My boy stays away from strange dogs, not sure if it is because he has respect for them or they are simply not interesting for him.
But the neighbors dog knows us, we see him every day walking by, sometimes the neighbors walk their dog together with us and our dog, so this is really unexpected.

We're not upset with them, as we were on their garden for some bbq, and my boy should have stayed away from that dog (parenting failure).
The neighbors are now also in a difficult spot, as they have a little girl, 1 year old, and not sure if it will be safe to keep that dog.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2018, 07:51:41 AM »
It is very likely an issue with pain. They should keep it as it's near the end of it's life I'm thinking. Just keep the girl at some distance.

My Aunt had an amazing Saint Bernard. I used to lay with it and watch TV. One day while just kneeling next to him and petting him he snapped at me. It didn't break the skin but caused a huge bruise. I was never allowed near the dog again after that. It broke my heart. He passed about a month later.

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2018, 06:51:18 AM »
Thank you. Doc said this morning that it heals fine, and minimum scars should be visible.
What brought it on ? Apparently that dog is getting old and grumpy, and didn't like my son to come too close (4 inches?).
My boy is slightly spoiled, as we have a big old dog, but they like each other, and my boy can do anything with that dog, so he has not fear for dogs in general.
My boy stays away from strange dogs, not sure if it is because he has respect for them or they are simply not interesting for him.
But the neighbors dog knows us, we see him every day walking by, sometimes the neighbors walk their dog together with us and our dog, so this is really unexpected.

We're not upset with them, as we were on their garden for some bbq, and my boy should have stayed away from that dog (parenting failure).
The neighbors are now also in a difficult spot, as they have a little girl, 1 year old, and not sure if it will be safe to keep that dog.

The same thing happen to us, the little guy had been warned to stay away from a grumpy old dog, but he too lived in a house with a large very tolerant dog.  He was in the old girl's face and she nipped him, also a parenting failure on my part. Our biggest worry was how would  he react to dogs after that. Turns out he is just fine with dogs and the experience has not seemed to affect him. The dog's owners were shocked, I was upset with myself. My better half picks up the little crying guy, wipes his tears and cleans him up all the while explaining to him how this happened and that he should have listened. She is an amazing person and a fantastic mother.

As far as keeping the dog. I would never turn out my old friend because they turn grumpy as they age, it would be like throwing out grandpa because he is cranky and disagreeable. It would break their canine heart. Mine has gotten a little nippy when she crowded but she is just a half step down in importance compared to the kids. 
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 06:57:48 AM by Orbean »
Nice matters