Author Topic: The place I get wild Asparagus.  (Read 135 times)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
The place I get wild Asparagus.
« on: June 01, 2018, 07:23:06 PM »
We had a lot of rain this Spring and a bumper crop of wild Asparagus.  It grows along the creek that runs through our place and in one slough at the head of a gully.  I also hunt for it on a neighbors place in an old slough that has been dried up for a few years and the river has moved about a hundred yards from it.  We try to get what we can before the cattle are turned out as they will eat it and so will the deer.  This spot is far enough off the public road that no one gets in here so the picking is pretty good.  This year it was exceptional.

I have no photos of the Asparagus as I didn't think about it at the time.  Here a few pictures of the area and of some visitors that came by while I was sitting around after picking some.

This button buck was mighty curious for quite a long time. 

Wild Asparagus is one of my favorite things to eat.  We usually steam it and then grill a steak.  Hard to beat. 
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 07:35:48 PM by wsdstan »
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
Re: The place I get wild Asparagus.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 07:27:58 PM »
Have never had wild asparagus, but I'm sure I'd like it!
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 07:37:01 PM »
I think you would too Nuke.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 07:41:30 PM »
We are on the wrong side of the asparagus belt here in northeast NEBRASKA.....it starts growing in earnest about 100miles west of us.  There's a LITTLE here, but you'd starve to death looking for a decent mess of it.  I've only found two patches of it in my entire life and they built a house on top of the best of the two patches. >:(
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 08:11:27 PM »
I just went down to a place along the creek where I saw some yesterday.  Here is a photo of what it looks like when it has gone to seed.  About three feet tall at this point.  We try to leave a little to go to seed each year. 

It looks kind of white it this photo but the whole plant looks like the green part of it that wasn't in direct sunlight when I took the photo.

(Mark Twain)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2018, 04:33:25 AM »
I LOVE steamed asparagus with melted cheddar.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2018, 05:20:00 AM »
A good bunch of it grows along the irrigation canals at my grandfathers place. Here in Albuquerque we have it also growing along the ditch banks.
Nice matters

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2018, 04:29:03 PM »
I LOVE steamed asparagus with melted cheddar.

You and me both......... with or without the cheese.

A good bunch of it grows along the irrigation canals at my grandfathers place. Here in Albuquerque we have it also growing along the ditch banks.
  There was a big flea market north of Denver and some of the vegetable vendors would have tons of it they picked along the irrigation ditches off of the Platte River drainage.  Great stuff.
(Mark Twain)