Author Topic: Anyone Got One of These?  (Read 957 times)

Offline NoseWarmer

• Mill File+
Anyone Got One of These?
« on: June 03, 2018, 07:33:20 PM »
So I did a quick search and came up this old topic; http://bladesandbushlore.com/index.php?topic=9428.msg180349#msg180349 so I figured I revive it via a new thread.

I'll probably get some of the "grief" police on my a$$ about buying junk or it's no good, but OH WELL...

A few years back I bought a Cold Steel Bushman thinking it would make a good truck knife or beat around knife if I needed something when I was out and about without full kit.

I just came across it the other day when I was going through my Tahoe looking at what gear I had.

Anyway, way back when, I piggy backed a Mora 510, added a compass pouch, tin, micro cord, sharpening rod and whistle via "ranger" bands. The Bade already came with a so so fero rod.

All in all not a bad set up.

I've used both blades and in a pinch, they work well.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 07:39:01 PM by NoseWarmer »
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated...

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
Re: Anyone Got One of These?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 08:34:33 PM »
Looks handy. very neat
Nice matters

Offline NoseWarmer

• Mill File+
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 09:14:56 PM »
Looks handy. very neat

Thanks Orbean!

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 06:15:28 AM »
 That looks like a right handy kit,  pairing the Bushman with the Mora 511 was smart thinking,  I'm not a fan of either Cold Steel or today's Mora blades (the Mora's of the mid 1900's were great),  but they do get the job of cutting and slicing done, and the Bushman is capable of taking on some of the tasks you wouldn't care to expose your main blade to.
 I don't own a Bushman,  but I do keep a an old H&B 7-1/2" heavy bladed bowie styled throwing knife made of spring steel and sharpened to a fine edge in my camper van's emergency kit along with a HD Hultafores outdoorsman's knife that Jontok gifted me,  the Mora will handle the more delicate jobs of cleaning fish and small game and food prep, while the larger knife does the more demanding chores of wood processing, digging for wild edibles, and various other "dirty" jobs, I think your concept is sound and your choices logical. 
 Along the same lines my present hard use do it all "survival" blade kit is a custom tracker styled WSK knife paired with a small PSK and sharpening steel by the same maker which all fit into a piggyback type leather sheath,  I was never a big knife kind of person, but the Tracker WSK is growing on me the more I use it.   
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 08:04:03 AM »
Like my predecessors, I too believe you've got a nicely thought out piece of kit there.  If it works for you, and apparently it does, your brainstorm might work real well for someone else, as well.  That being said, it wouldn't work for me as well as it would for most folks that wear a belt to hold up there britches. 

You're relatively new here and I wouldn't expect you to be aware of the fact that my daily uniform consists of a tee shirt and bib overalls.  8)     A quick mental count of the bib pockets reveals that I have TEN separate pockets available for carrying nearly everything I would need for fun in the woods.  An Opinel in one of the pliers pockets, a Mora Clipper clipped to the top inside of the bib, a tiny Tru-Nord compass that's always in the watch pocket and, thanks to my wife, gets washed in the washing machine regularly, but continues to take a licking and goes on ticking; etc., etc., etc. ;D   The weight is carried on my shoulders via 2" wide shoulder straps, so I avoid having to pull up my sagging britches from the weight of belt-carried tools or dismount a pouch that contains 'essentials'......I instinctively dive into the pocket that is always dedicated to carrying each individual item, but all of us have preferences and different solutions to a common end and they all seem to work.  The important thing is having what you need when you need it and knowing where it is when you do.....looks like you do! :thumbsup:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline NoseWarmer

• Mill File+
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 11:31:38 AM »
Like my predecessors, I too believe you've got a nicely thought out piece of kit there.  If it works for you, and apparently it does, your brainstorm might work real well for someone else, as well.  That being said, it wouldn't work for me as well as it would for most folks that wear a belt to hold up there britches. 

You're relatively new here and I wouldn't expect you to be aware of the fact that my daily uniform consists of a tee shirt and bib overalls.  8)     A quick mental count of the bib pockets reveals that I have TEN separate pockets available for carrying nearly everything I would need for fun in the woods.  An Opinel in one of the pliers pockets, a Mora Clipper clipped to the top inside of the bib, a tiny Tru-Nord compass that's always in the watch pocket and, thanks to my wife, gets washed in the washing machine regularly, but continues to take a licking and goes on ticking; etc., etc., etc. ;D   The weight is carried on my shoulders via 2" wide shoulder straps, so I avoid having to pull up my sagging britches from the weight of belt-carried tools or dismount a pouch that contains 'essentials'......I instinctively dive into the pocket that is always dedicated to carrying each individual item, but all of us have preferences and different solutions to a common end and they all seem to work.  The important thing is having what you need when you need it and knowing where it is when you do.....looks like you do! :thumbsup:

There's nothing wrong with bibs :) I have a few pair.

Also you could clip the sheath to your strap button, might it you in the ribs, but it would be there :)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 02:56:21 PM »
I actually tried that, but sometimes the tip of the sheath would get pushed up by something I was wrestling with and it would unbutton itself and fall to the ground.  Now, I carry it clipped to the top edge of my bib, so it hangs inside the bib at chest height like a neck-knife.  Only the top of the belt clip and the pommel are visible to the world.   Most people never notice it and it is very secure.  That is kind of a plus because the Clipper sheath is not known for great retention.
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX