Author Topic: Skottle  (Read 308 times)

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
Skottle
« on: June 09, 2018, 06:55:30 AM »
Crash dropped off my new Skottle cooker yesterday.  I certainly appreciate all the effort he expended in scoring this for me.   I fired it up and cooked bacon.   Works great,  cleans up easily.  My new favorite way to cook in camp.  Or at home in the back yard.

Online Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
Re: Skottle
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 06:59:00 AM »
:cheers:
Never heard of that before. Wok cooking is one of my favs, and that looks like a sweet rig.
Awhile back I picked up an adapter so I could fill my 1 lb Coleman bottles from a standard 20 lb propane tank.  It has saved me a ton of money, and I don't have to be so stingy with using up my little tanks.  8)
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 07:59:28 AM »
There were 3 at our last Krac camp.  Some delish grub coming off them. 
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 08:50:07 AM »
In the southwest they are called discos, and used to be made from old plow disks. There are great to cook on.
Nice matters

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 08:53:33 AM »
Orbean beat me to it.  Don't know where the term Skottle came from.  Always called them a disco or a discada.  I've had a couple of them for years.  A small, shallow one for camping and a large, deep one for the backyard.  They're great to cook on.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Online Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 10:00:47 AM »
I recently took two old gas BBQs to the salvage yard. I saved the side burners from both of them.  I'm thinking an old wok, a little hardware and those burners might turn into one of these gadgets.
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 02:48:56 PM »
Skottle is a South African word.  The cooking disk for this one is made by CarolinaCooker.  They sell it for $32 bucks or so,  and it designed to use a fish or turkey fryer burner.   Mine has legs welded on, and studs to hold the Coleman propane burner.

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2018, 03:14:53 PM »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2018, 06:15:22 PM »
Skottle is a South African word.  The cooking disk for this one is made by CarolinaCooker.  They sell it for $32 bucks or so,  and it designed to use a fish or turkey fryer burner.   Mine has legs welded on, and studs to hold the Coleman propane burner.

What kind of burner is this one using?  It looks like the kind that those little portable stoves that screw onto the propane bottle use.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 06:20:56 PM by wsdstan »
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 04:51:33 AM »
you are exactly right.  It's a Coleman single propane burner,  that was designed to just sit on top of the one pound propane bottle.  It fits between studs welded onto the bottom, and is held there by washers and thumb screws.  Works perfectly.  Easy on/off for transport or storage

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2018, 06:48:17 AM »
Thanks, I have one of those stoves and live in an area where there ought to be some plow discs laying around somewhere.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2018, 09:48:31 AM »
You homemade skottle-builders (or 'discada' in my neck of the woods) may want to check with the local implement dealers.  Until the iron-scapping dude comes around, most dealers will have a neat, nested stack of nice land-polished discs lying out back in the iron pile.  They get smaller in diameter from wear and rolling or sharpening.....when one breaks from hitting a rock, they usually replace all of them, otherwise one would be bigger and run deeper than the rest of them in the gang.  The scrap yards would be the next logical source, but they would probably be harder to locate after they get dumped off in the pile of everything else. :popcorn:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2018, 12:09:04 PM »
With an adapter and hose, a 20 lb bottle hooks up to it nicely.

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2018, 01:14:24 PM »
With an adapter and hose, a 20 lb bottle hooks up to it nicely.

Sure does.  This is one I cobbled together from an old plant stand.

The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2018, 01:52:09 PM »
Last night, I cooked some country ribs with the skottle.  Quick and easy. I was impressed

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2018, 07:13:30 PM »
At the last few camps, all I brought was the skottle.  Worked great.  OK-----full disclosure......... .....Greg was there and the Dutch Oven goodness was abundant.

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2018, 08:16:50 AM »
honesty is good for the soul.   lol

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2018, 02:09:37 PM »
At the last few camps, all I brought was the skottle.  Worked great.  OK-----full disclosure......... .....Greg was there and the Dutch Oven goodness was abundant.

LOL, the dutch ovens were only brought to bake Cinnamon Rolls, Soft Pretzels, Banana Crunch Muffins, Hash Brown Casserole, and a 14" Deep Dish Pizza...

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2018, 04:53:13 PM »

LOL, the dutch ovens were only brought to bake Cinnamon Rolls, Soft Pretzels, Banana Crunch Muffins, Hash Brown Casserole, and a 14" Deep Dish Pizza...

Maybe so, BUT try cooking those scrumptious delights on a 'skottle!'  :lol:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Mill File+
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2018, 11:04:23 PM »
You homemade skottle-builders (or 'discada' in my neck of the woods) may want to check with the local implement dealers.  Until the iron-scapping dude comes around, most dealers will have a neat, nested stack of nice land-polished discs lying out back in the iron pile.  They get smaller in diameter from wear and rolling or sharpening.....when one breaks from hitting a rock, they usually replace all of them, otherwise one would be bigger and run deeper than the rest of them in the gang.  The scrap yards would be the next logical source, but they would probably be harder to locate after they get dumped off in the pile of everything else. :popcorn:

Has anyone here actually tried to fabricate one of these? I've got a double fistful of the discs but they all have a hole in the center for the axle shaft to pass through. Is there a type of disc that does not have a hole in the center? I don't think I have ever seen one.

If you do fill in the hole in the center of the disc, how do you get it smooth enough to pass a spatula over easily and sealed tight enough not to leak cooking liquids. My discs are a hardened steel to withstand the wear of being pulled through the soil, and a bugger to weld on. (Disclaimer: I'm not very skilled at welding, but I'm not a total klutz either)

I just got some 55 gallon drums and I'm thinking it would be easier to hammer a dish out of a drum top than it would be to fill in that hole in the ganged disc used for soil conditioning.

guidance anyone?

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2018, 11:37:38 AM »
Just weld a shaped metal square to the disc and then fill the other side with welding rod.  Grind to shape. 

I think a metal drum top is too thin to give much service life as a cooker but it could be worth a try. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Mill File+
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2018, 05:00:55 PM »
Just weld a shaped metal square to the disc and then fill the other side with welding rod.  Grind to shape. 

I think a metal drum top is too thin to give much service life as a cooker but it could be worth a try. 

OK, I'll give it a try later this summer.
I wouldn't think the drum top would be any less durable then the metal in those Weber charcoal grills. But your right, there is probably not much service life in those thinner metals.