Author Topic: More new cast iron  (Read 236 times)

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
More new cast iron
« on: June 10, 2018, 05:10:21 AM »
Found this on eBay recently.   Less than $30.  It's a #6 Griswold skillet.  Going by the TM and other markings,   I date it to around 1939.  No earlier.  It's in great shape for being a 'user' for nearly 80 years.   Fried eggs just slide around in it.  The big debate is whether or not to strip it with a lye soak, or just leave it alone.  I did clean up the TM logo and other markings,  so they read a lot easier than in this picture.  Guess I need another picture.   lol

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Re: More new cast iron
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 05:13:02 AM »
If eggs slide around in it...

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

nice find.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 05:33:38 AM »
I am leaning that way.  There is a bit of carbon crust around the inner sides  but the bottom is slick.   Think cleaning the outside will be enough.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 05:43:02 AM »
Found this on eBay recently.   Less than $30.  It's a #6 Griswold skillet.  Going by the TM and other markings,   I date it to around 1939.  No earlier.  It's in great shape for being a 'user' for nearly 80 years.   Fried eggs just slide around in it.  The big debate is whether or not to strip it with a lye soak, or just leave it alone.  I did clean up the TM logo and other markings,  so they read a lot easier than in this picture.  Guess I need another picture.   lol

Good score,  I have a couple just like it with the small logo,  I use one exclusively for cornbread,  the other lives on my stove top and is used almost every day for making breakfast,  the #6 skillet and my round griddle are my most used CI skillets,  perfect sizes for one or two people,  I have an older Griswold #6  also with the ring on the bottom, that was a favorite also but I had to retire it when we purchased the new glass top stove.
  I have a set of vintage Wagner Sidney CI skillets also which are in the same class as my Griswold's but don't see as much use,  the Griswold's seem a little lighter weight wise.
  Most of my cast iron cookware is inherited from my parents who were married in 1938,  so most of it is from the '30's and '40's,  I have picked up a few pieces along the way over time and if they look like yours and aren't all caked over with carbon or rust I don't bother stripping them and re curing them,  and I haven't died yet. 

In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 06:45:46 AM »
I have a few Griswold items and judging from the photo I would not strip that one either.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 09:53:14 AM »
Nice skillet!
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2018, 01:32:50 PM »
Looks like a good hot oil and salt rub is about all that could need. Our daily user is a Griswold given to my wife by her mother, who got it as a high school graduation present. Haven't tried to date it, but I know it goes back into the early 30's.
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2018, 01:49:20 PM »
I have a #8 Griswold from the same period.  That one I did strip and re season.  It?s a thing of beauty, and of function.   This #6 is going to get a lot of use