Author Topic: cameras  (Read 921 times)

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
cameras
« on: June 13, 2018, 10:28:35 AM »
I am looking for recommendations for a cheap point and shoot camera. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Nice matters

Offline lgm

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
Re: cameras
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 11:09:48 AM »
Depends on what you think is cheap & what you want from it but looks at the Fuji XP line of water proof cameras . I have one a few years old and like it.
What a great day to be outside.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 11:17:36 AM »
Orbean, Canon has a few small cameras in their line.  I have had two of them and both were excellent.  Those that I had were in the 24 to 135mm focal length using 35m film terms.  Look at their Power Shot lineup and see if they meet your price range. 

It is difficult to weed through the available cameras.  If there is a camera dealer in your area look at what they have so you can see the size and ergonomics in person.  There are also some good weatherproof cameras out there but I have not used one of them yet.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 02:55:58 PM »
There are several brands of point and shoot cameras (I call them pocket cameras) that are good and run in the $100 +/- a little range.  Many run in the 20 megapixel range with a 5X optical zoom.  I have a Nikon Coolpix L24 (I think they are up to L32 now). 

For a little bit more some of the waterproof options are good.  I use the Nikon AW130.

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 04:44:13 PM »
There are several brands of point and shoot cameras (I call them pocket cameras) that are good and run in the $100 +/- a little range.  Many run in the 20 megapixel range with a 5X optical zoom.  I have a Nikon Coolpix L24 (I think they are up to L32 now). 

For a little bit more some of the waterproof options are good.  I use the Nikon AW130.

Thank you that is what I was looking for. I will  check them out tonight
Nice matters

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 07:32:52 PM »
The Olympus Stylus 720 W is waterproof to 10 feet.  I've taken shots of spawning salmon with it.
Not knowing what "cheap" means, I don't have any other recommendations.
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 10:01:31 PM »
The Olympus Stylus 720 W is waterproof to 10 feet.  I've taken shots of spawning salmon with it.

I don't know what cheap is either. I am looking for something that is easy to use, will allow me to post pics of my trips here. I know so little about cameras I do know what I need. I guess I need something fairly rugged and waterproof to ten feet sounds good to me. In regards to putting a price on it I don't know. I certainly do not want to spend 500.00 but up to two hundred and I will not squawk too much.

Crashdive123 you take excellent pics; I could be wrong, it seems to me the quality of the pics you post must come from an expensive camera. If I  could get pics like that, with practice of course, I would be happy
Nice matters

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 11:12:57 PM »

I don't know what cheap is either. I am looking for something that is easy to use, will allow me to post pics of my trips here. I know so little about cameras I do know what I need. I guess I need something fairly rugged and waterproof to ten feet sounds good to me. In regards to putting a price on it I don't know. I certainly do not want to spend 500.00 but up to two hundred and I will not squawk too much.

Crashdive123 you take excellent pics; I could be wrong, it seems to me the quality of the pics you post must come from an expensive camera. If I  could get pics like that, with practice of course, I would be happy

Olympus Stylus 720 SW is waterproof to 10 feet, and shockproof from a 5 foot drop.  $49
https://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Stylus-720SW-Digital-Optical/dp/B000EA0EDO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1528952083&sr=8-5&keywords=Olympus+Stylus+720+SW

This is my last camera before my new Panasonic FZ80.  It was given to me by my daughter when she went to a DSLR.  It is a very good camera, with image stabilization, etc.,etc.  Mine has not been babied, and only had dust issues once. The ones listed here are probably all used, because this ELPH 110 HS is an older model, and has been replaced by newer versions. Used from $149 up.
https://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Stabilized-Wide-Angle-Recording/dp/B006UMM1UO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1528952299&sr=8-3&keywords=canon+powershot+elph+110+hs

Another really kick-about pocket camera I have is a Sony CyberShot DSC-W55.  It is at least 6 years old now, and still does the job it was meant for.  It has a Zeiss lens, and will take video, also.  $59 used.
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-Cybershot-DSCW55-Digital-Optical/dp/B000M4J2LM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1528952872&sr=8-4&keywords=Sony+CyberShot+DSC-W55

I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 05:59:06 AM »

Many of the pictures I post are with that little pocket camera.  I think I paid $75 for it.

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 06:12:13 AM »

Olympus Stylus 720 SW is waterproof to 10 feet, and shockproof from a 5 foot drop.  $49
https://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Stylus-720SW-Digital-Optical/dp/B000EA0EDO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1528952083&sr=8-5&keywords=Olympus+Stylus+720+SW

This is my last camera before my new Panasonic FZ80.  It was given to me by my daughter when she went to a DSLR.  It is a very good camera, with image stabilization, etc.,etc.  Mine has not been babied, and only had dust issues once. The ones listed here are probably all used, because this ELPH 110 HS is an older model, and has been replaced by newer versions. Used from $149 up.
https://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Stabilized-Wide-Angle-Recording/dp/B006UMM1UO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1528952299&sr=8-3&keywords=canon+powershot+elph+110+hs

Another really kick-about pocket camera I have is a Sony CyberShot DSC-W55.  It is at least 6 years old now, and still does the job it was meant for.  It has a Zeiss lens, and will take video, also.  $59 used.
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-Cybershot-DSCW55-Digital-Optical/dp/B000M4J2LM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1528952872&sr=8-4&keywords=Sony+CyberShot+DSC-W55

I will look into these also, thanks
Nice matters

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2018, 12:07:08 PM »
here are some camers that are not cheap,
anything
mamiya
hasselblad
and large format nikon,

Offline dumbass

• Whetstone
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2018, 05:54:46 AM »
Orlean.  I bought a Coolpix on crash's recommendation.  I like it fine.
huh?