Author Topic: Buffalo Co. South Dakota  (Read 173 times)

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Mill File+
Buffalo Co. South Dakota
« on: June 13, 2018, 04:51:59 PM »
Took a road trip last week. Passed through Buffalo County. My kind of place. County seat (Gann Valley) has 14 people in it. About 4 people per square mile. Not real keen on the less than $6k per capita income, but there are compromises to be made for peace and quiet.

Took a little walk in the prairie about 20 miles South of Pierre. Ran face to face with a Rattlesnake. First one for me. They sure look a lot bigger when they're free to bite. I never knew their hiss was as loud as their rattle and it sounds a LOT more menacing. Heart took a leap. Apparently my Cardiologist was right, my heart is OK.

Temp around 80*, nice breeze, it was a good day. 

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: Buffalo Co. South Dakota
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 06:31:14 PM »
I live about 200 miles west of Pierre, at least as the road goes. 

A fellow was killed in the Spearfish area last week.   He was bitten in the ankle by a rattlesnake while looking for a golf ball in deep grass.  They have not said what caused his death but it might have been from something other than the venom in the snake bite.  Cardiac possibly, maybe reaction to the shots he was given.  70 years old I think and visiting from out of town.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 07:49:26 AM »
Yeah my grandparents had a lake house growing up on lake Oahe and there always plenty of rattlesnakes around.  My best childhood memories are up in that area.  Well worth putting up with some snakes!
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 09:17:28 AM »
I once had the experience of touching the rattle of a freshly decapitated eastern. The bloody neck snapped against my wrist with amazing force. We messed with it's headless body for about an hour before the vibrations were not noticeable anymore.
20 of us were hit by the dying bloody neck. It's true, bury the head. It was watching us the whole time with it's jaw moving.
Having said all that, I'd love to get out there fore some hiking.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Online hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 02:06:29 PM »
sounds like a nice place to NOT vist,
i don"T DO WELL WITH BITES AND STINGS.

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Mill File+
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 04:17:42 PM »
I once had the experience of touching the rattle of a freshly decapitated eastern. The bloody neck snapped against my wrist with amazing force. We messed with it's headless body for about an hour before the vibrations were not noticeable anymore.

You reminded me of the time a cottonmouth slithered through the neighborhood when I lived in Virginia Beach. We (the neighbors) all got together and pinned the ornery snake to the ground and lopped off his head. A shovel was used to carry the head over to a compost pile and buried. I picked up the body of the snake by it's tail and carried it over. There seemed to be an oily layer to that snakes skin and it took days to get the smell off my hands. Kind of like skunk, you can make it better but you can't get rid of it completely for a few days.

Was that common for those snakes? Don't know, it was the only one I ever got that close to. Wasn't real interested in doing first hand research back then. Still not interested. :D

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 06:10:36 AM »
The more common snakes have that effect. Garter snakes in particular are smelly. Northeastern Timber rattle snakes are dry and seem to have no smell. Much like a lizards skin.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Online Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: Today at 05:47:23 AM »
The more common snakes have that effect. Garter snakes in particular are smelly. Northeastern Timber rattle snakes are dry and seem to have no smell. Much like a lizards skin.

Yup, and they really do taste like chicken.   (grin)
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.