Author Topic: Homemade Woodgas Stove  (Read 7830 times)

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
Homemade Woodgas Stove
« on: April 10, 2012, 08:40:58 PM »
I have been wanting to make one for a long time & since it has been real windy the last couple days, & on top of that, with the red flag conditions, I thought it as a good time to make one. Already had the stuff, just needed to get to it. So I did. Took me about an hour.

Here's some pics:

Drilled the holes in the progresso can & the Qt. paint can, & laced the 1/4 " hardware cloth together, after I cut it to the size I wanted, set all of it on the hood of one of my trucks & set a leatherman there to use & for scale:

Here's the holes n the bottom of the inner(Progresso) can:

Here's the inside of the inner can showing the mesh coal shield I put in the bottom:

The 2 sides of the mesh ash screen I laced together:

The top of the ash screen that I have not bent over the lil wire ends yet:

Checking the fit before I cut the feeder hole:

Feeder hole cut & laced:

Ash screen mated & set on top:

Took off the ash screen & installed the inner into the outer (bottom view):

View from the top:

View from top with ash screen:

Showing how the ash screen stows inside between inner & outer cans:

View of Ash screen completely stowed:

View of stove with "snuffer" lid set on the top:

Almost forgot...Made a wind screen out of a piece of alum. step flashing( tin shingle):

Finished job with the screen & windshield stowed inside.

Time for a "maiden run" tomorrow, to burn the can liner away, & see if the inner can separates from the outer , due to the heat. I'll epoxy/JB weld if it does, once it cools.

I thought it came out rather nicely considering only about an hour of my time & about $5 US out of pocket.
 :)

Just wanted to share what I did today that was "Bushcrafty", or the like .
 :D

« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 04:41:50 PM by MnSportsman »
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline Dano

• Water Stone
Re: Homemade Woodgas Stove
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 08:47:57 PM »
That is VERY cool, I'll be looking forward to the burn test report!!

Nice job!!

Offline Smokewalker

• Whetstone +
  • Between the sweet grass & the packing house
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 09:21:23 PM »
You know Bacon & coffee is a required first cook :) NIce work!
"Theres allot of learnin under this hat son." "Boy use what ya kin see and quit tryin a see what ya kin use." Grand pa Jesse- A real Cowboy

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 10:00:16 PM »
NICE!    I made one too..but.. I dont think I put holes on the bottom of the progresso can.  I think I put holes along the bottom outide of it.  I'm going to have to go look now....   

I too need to do a first burn on mine..    :)

Please show details on how you get a fire going inside yours ok?    :)

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 08:50:24 AM »
Thnx Dano,,Smokewalker & WW!  Don't know ho often I might use it, But I wanted the option for windy & other conditions.

Smokewalker, I think it best that I burn off the liner of the paint can before I do any cooking, & I also want to make sure that the inner soup can stays attached to the outer pint can before I put anything on top. But I will promse you that when I do "cook" on it for the first time, bacon & coffee will be involved. :)

& yes I will show you my progress WW.
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 04:40:09 PM »
I did the "maiden run" on the stove today to burn out the liner & heat test it. But before I did , I thought it over & decided to add 3 screws to the upper sides to hold the inner & outer cans together. Here is 2 pics of that:

Then I set out what I was going to use.( I also emptied a fire pouch & spread contents, Plus I show two of my broken strikers):
#!

A closer look as I added a quarter for scale & a small tinder bundle(birdnest). P.S. - I don't recommend anyone to use a bird nest this small unless they have experience doing this & can take flames on their fingers w/out gloves. ;) )

Some punkwood in the bottom of the stove prior to adding flaming tinder bundle. ( I took 4 pics of the rock & milkweed ovum, one with the ovum burning, one with the glowing ovum going to a piece of charred punk, then one of the glowing punk & the tinderbundle lit, before I put in stove. I didn't notice that my memory was full at the time, so no pics. You'll just have to believe me. had to delete some to take more:

Tinderbundle in stove & the stove firing up:

Twigs added & more flame
Going real good now:

Added some bigger sticks:

Going real good, time to put away gear & put the screen & wind block on:

Decided to char some punkwood & cloth in my Dansky cookie tin:

Tin on the stove & smoking away:

Tin off the stove for cool down/stick in the hole:

Stove winding down & letting the fire drop to pull the screen & wind break:

2 Shots of the charred punk wood & cloth:

Ran out of memory again. But all I took was pics with the snuffer on.

One thing I have to say, "I'm impressed with this lil stove. for the $ & the time & how it worked is great!"
 :thumbsup:

A some things I figured out:
  • No use to put anything larger than thumb/bottlecap around sized sticks & no longer than 3 inches in length. If you ever try this you will see hat I mean so I don't have to explain. ;)
  •    This thing stays HOT for a long time, even when the fire/flames are out. So keep that in mind if you want to keep something warm/hot after you no longer see flames. This stove is very efficient & holds coals & makes little ash.
  • Having gloves, or something like hotpads is recommended. ;) Not needed, but recommended...
  • Definitely allow for some serious cool down time if you are just going to do some lunch, or travel soon after using the stove.
I would recommend anyone to make one of these. I wish I had made one long ago.

If I think of or remember anything else to pass on I will post again...

;)
Seriously.. this stove ws easy to make, came out sturdy, is light wieght, & worked a lot better than I ever expected! & It now needs a "wind" test & a cook test. Bacon & coffee included...
 ;)

{BTW....  WoodsWoman, you now have something to do... get yur stove out, & get 'er done..... :D
LOL  }
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 04:46:58 PM by MnSportsman »

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 05:05:28 PM »
Whooah! I just went outside to dump the ashes & put the stove away & it was still HOT & held  coals...

I put the snuffer top on the stove at about 4PM & it's now about 6PM.. Talk about holding some heat!
You could keep a small space warmed real fine with that lil bugger it seems.. Nice thing to remember. Prolly be nice as a "keep ya warmer" on the ground, inside a shelter of some kind or under a tarp make into a tent-like space...  Another thing to check out it seems.
 ;)

Offline easy_rider75

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 05:46:26 PM »
Neat idea got a couple of  those soup  cans to   mod may have to  see if this will  work  with a coffee  can I got to
?I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.?~Frank Sinatra~

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 06:05:05 PM »
Thank you for your patience to make photos on your burn!!

I'm on it...     A fire would make me feel better right now anyway.  hah.

Dont tell anyone..but I have no clue on what punk wood is?? 

I have a tin like that..   I'm going to go punch a hole in it.. and try doing charcloth in that too...

Be back later.... and if you look westwards and see LOTS of smoke...  umm.... call 911.  ha

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Gurthy

• Water Stone
  • Member #9
    • My Blog: Gurthy's Bushcraft
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 06:06:04 PM »
Thanks for the great post MnWoodsman. I made a woodgas type stove a while back but it would only work (gassify) hit or miss for me so it went into the recycling bin. Great info on the cool-down time... I would have thought it would cool faster. Maybe I'll give this project another go...

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 08:20:05 PM »

Neat idea got a couple of  those soup  cans to   mod may have to  see if this will  work  with a coffee  can I got to

I'd like to see it when you do it if you can.

Thank you for your patience to make photos on your burn!!

I'm on it...     A fire would make me feel better right now anyway.  hah.

Dont tell anyone..but I have no clue on what punk wood is?? 

I have a tin like that..   I'm going to go punch a hole in it.. and try doing charcloth in that too...

Be back later.... and if you look westwards and see LOTS of smoke...  umm.... call 911.  ha

WW.

No troubles WW! Happy to do it!
I didn't see any smoke b4 the sun went down. & no red glow in your direction either. So I think you seem to be doin just fine! Mention how your charcloth turns out too , please!
 :thumbsup:

Thanks for the great post MnWoodsman. I made a woodgas type stove a while back but it would only work (gassify) hit or miss for me so it went into the recycling bin. Great info on the cool-down time... I would have thought it would cool faster. Maybe I'll give this project another go...

Glad to share Gurthy!
Please try again. It would be great to see if ya get the chance! I am amazed at this thing. I am gonna keep tryin it out. It has certainly got me impressed for a first go!
----------------------------
BT....Here's the last 2 of the "maiden" run /test burn:

The can finally cooled enough for me to pick up bare handed at 7:30 PM & I emptied it into my fire pit & there were stll a couple of red coals glowing when I did. Here s the view of the can inside after empty:

here is a pic of the stove & lid & the pile of ashes. very small pile. It only filled the inner can 1/3 the way from the bottom. It sure was efficient , that is for sure. Put a smoke butt in the middle of the pile for additional scale:

« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 08:22:28 PM by MnSportsman »

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 08:35:15 PM »
I had to come back and look at your pictures.   I wanted to see how many squares on your mesh you had for holding pot and a bigger feed hole.     I need something taller and bigger so I'll make one to your specs and see if that works. 

And I think I need more air holes in the bottom either in progresso can or the outter can.   

Too much blowing to keep flames going for me.   uffda.

I'm glad you posted pix.  I'm sure I'll be back comparing.

WW.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 08:45:12 PM »
I Will do Whatever I can to help ya W!

I can even give you measurements that I used if that would help. The holes I put in the inner soup can, lower towards the bottom, were staggered all around the sides. One row on the top in line. This pic shows that:

in the bottom I just randomly put them there. 
this pic shows that:

If you look at the outer can. I only went around the can most of the way, but left a bit without holes to act as an additional wind break if it was needed.
This pic shows that:

;)

So , ask away & I'll do what I can.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 08:51:51 PM by MnSportsman »

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 08:47:34 PM »
No questions at the moment..   I just had to come count the squares on yours to know how tall to cut the next mesh piece. :)      And drill a few more holes in the cans.  I wont do that until tomorrow maybe.

BUT.. if you really want a question..   How the heck do I get this black sooty stuff out from under my nails?    :)

WW.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 08:53:56 PM »
I added pictures for ya in my last post too..

To answer your question...

Lye soap & a scrub brush.
LOL

Hmmm ...Might be a new project, showing how I make lye from wood ash & lye soap with Lye & tallow.. got me thinkin now..
 ;)

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 09:01:59 PM »
I think I only have 10 holes in the bottom of the prog can...so I can easily add more.

Theres just something about washing with ashes that makes my nose wrinkle......

WW.

Offline Gurthy

• Water Stone
  • Member #9
    • My Blog: Gurthy's Bushcraft
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2012, 11:12:55 PM »

Glad to share Gurthy!
Please try again. It would be great to see if ya get the chance! I am amazed at this thing. I am gonna keep tryin it out. It has certainly got me impressed for a first go!

I went rogue and tried two different sized soup cans instead of a soup can and a paint can but I do not think the fit between the two was quite good enough for reliable gasification.

And thanks again MnSportsman ;)

Offline Barbarossa Bushman

• Water Stone
  • A sense of humor is a good thing
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2012, 02:53:55 PM »
Nice stove. What size of holes did you use? I know the size and # of holes will determine if it works great or not. I have all the stuff but need to drill the holes and I am done.
"When times get rough and times get hard, the fat get skinny and the skinny die. Good thing you had a little fat on you when you did." An old friend

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2012, 03:15:47 PM »
I always was intrigued by the theory of operation of these woodgas stoves. Amazing that it holds the heat for so long afterwards.

About burning off coatings, is the hardware cloth galvanized? It would be important to burn any of that off as well.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2012, 11:19:24 AM »
Topic moved by author request. - admin

Offline Zig

• Whetstone +
  • B&B Member #78
    • ZigOutdoors Videos
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2012, 02:15:00 PM »
Nice work! That sucker looks great. I have one of Antig's Woodgas Stoves, which is almost exactly the same design, just using two paint cans instead of the soup can. They work wonderfully. I've learned quite a few tricks with it over time that I'd like to share.

(1) First and foremost, keep the tins dry! Don't pour water on the stove, let it burn down naturally. The tin cans rust if they stay wet. That soup can probably won't though.
(2) Fuel must be bone dry. Wet fuel makes for water vapor that stops the gassification.
(3) Resinous stuff is GREAT fuel. Pine cones and birch bark are best. The smellier the pine cone the better, and the thicker the birch bark the better.
(4) They burn best with a full, loosely packed chamber. Too tight and the lack of airflow stops the gassification, and too loose and it burns the fuel faster than you can fuel it.
(5) Bring some sort of backup stove if there's going to be rain. There will be times when the fuel just sucks and you'll be very glad you had a backup. I bring an alcohol stove, which is great for saving time with fuel prep and cools quickly enough that trail side tea/hot lunch isn't out of the question.

That's what I've learned from using one the last year or so. Like every option there are pros and cons, but in conjunction with an alcohol stove and open fires, I think these things give you the best utility to weight ratio you can get.