Author Topic: Do any of you carry guns?  (Read 19258 times)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
Re: Do any of you carry guns?
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2015, 03:48:02 PM »
If I saw THAT in the woods, I'd shoot first and ask questions later!  :shocked:

LOL, he kind of looks like that Mad Canadian Trapper that shot up a posse of RCMP and gave them a run for their money for quite a while over some rugged and snow filled mountains, back in the '30's I think it was.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2015, 03:50:37 PM »
lol I'm pretty observant and even tempered lol
"Nancy, you're me darlin, I loves ye all to bits! I'll climb up to your chamber, and under your mountainous...."

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2015, 03:52:58 PM »
"Nancy, you're me darlin, I loves ye all to bits! I'll climb up to your chamber, and under your mountainous...."

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2015, 03:53:15 PM »

LOL, he kind of looks like that Mad Canadian Trapper that shot up a posse of RCMP and gave them a run for their money for quite a while over some rugged and snow filled mountains, back in the '30's I think it was.

Yeah, what a great movie......Charles Bronson, Angie Dickinson & Lee Marvin!
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2015, 04:16:39 PM »

textsecure-2015-01-27-172612-1 by Stagdag1, on Flickr

:lol:
Are you Canadian?
That's how most of my friends looks when defending their sugar bush.
Jug of sap or spiritus beverage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Learning is an interruption of the failure process"
- Me, 2014

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2015, 04:17:40 PM »
That was just iced tea, I dun ran out of whiskey :*(

PMZ

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2015, 04:36:05 PM »

Yeah, what a great movie......Charles Bronson, Angie Dickinson & Lee Marvin!

It was Wolfy,  but Alberts real story is more spectacular still.

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2015, 05:06:38 PM »

Offline woodsrunner

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2015, 05:10:17 PM »
 Heres Albert Johnsons Savage model 99 along with some of his other personal effects

these items are in a museum in Regina Ca.

The snowshoes weigh ten lbs each!!!....ouch!...woods
'At play in the fields of the Lord'
Save a Logger...Eat a Tree Hugger!

Offline druid189

• Whetstone +
  • PA...the hunter's dream state
    • My meagerly endowed YouTube Channel
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2015, 10:24:11 AM »
I carry because defecation happens :)
If there was no tomorrow, if there was just today...would you make different choices or would you stay the same?

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2015, 10:41:58 AM »
I carry because defecation happens :)

LOL  "Nicely" put!
;D
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2015, 11:41:22 AM »
Heres Albert Johnsons Savage model 99 along with some of his other personal effects

these items are in a museum in Regina Ca.

The snowshoes weigh ten lbs each!!!....ouch!...woods

Thanks Woods,  I don't know if he was an evil criminal or just a regular guy being abused by an over reaching bureaucracy, the court of public opinion is still out on that question, but what ever the case,  his is an amazing story,  and one that can't help but bestow a huge amount of respect for one mans determination to survive overwhelming odds.

Some day when I grow up I'm going to own me one of them vintage mod. 99's.     

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2015, 12:37:18 PM »
I'll have to take a picture of the one I inherited from my dad.  It's a .300 Savage 99EG with an old 2X Weaver perched on top.  Still has the Whelan-style military leather sling he used, too.  The wrist was cracked, as many 99s are, so I had Al do his magic on it and now, not only can you not see where the crack was, I won't have to worry about it shattering under impact or recoil, ever again. :thumbsup:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2015, 12:41:17 PM »
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2015, 01:31:54 PM »
I'll have to take a picture of the one I inherited from my dad.  It's a .300 Savage 99EG with an old 2X Weaver perched on top.  Still has the Whelan-style military leather sling he used, too.  The wrist was cracked, as many 99s are, so I had Al do his magic on it and now, not only can you not see where the crack was, I won't have to worry about it shattering under impact or recoil, ever again. :thumbsup:

One of the most eye pleasing classics ever designed in my opinion,  I owned one for about one year,  it's a 1895 model(fore runner of the '99) commemorative put out by Savage in '76 (I think it was),  it has a gold plated lever, trigger, butt plate, and blade front sight,  it had an octagon 28" barrel and high grade figured walnut stock with a Savage Anniversary Medalian inlaid in the butt stock,  and chambered in .308.
  I was in my mid 20's and had just started an auto body shop,  I was doing auto dealer work as a filler between jobs and one of my dealers came in with a wrecked Pontiac that he had picked up at auction, the passenger side of the car had been hit lightly from the front door to the tail light,  when I gave him the price to fix the car he hemmed and hawed and said he did have that much, so he offered me some cash and the new Mod. 1895 Savage to do it.
 I hung the Savage in my office for the better part of a year,  come hunting season me, my youngest brother, and Dad were making our plans to go up north when my next younger brother came home from College in Nebraska and said he wanted to hunt with us this year,  he didn't have a gun of his own so I let him take the Savage commemorative,  after the hunt he wouldn't give it back,  but he did offer me his almost new Triumph 650 Tiger motorcycle in exchange,  best and longest owned bike I ever had.   ;)

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2015, 11:04:15 AM »
 if you see me outside of the house, I will be carrying something.   8)

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2015, 11:12:01 AM »
You carry in the bathroom hardass.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2015, 12:16:17 PM »
What's wrong with a shower gun? Stainless, of course. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2015, 09:52:47 PM »
lol. I don't shower without my pistola near to hand.
PMZ

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2015, 02:30:27 PM »
Yep, my wife and I are both licensed to carry and we always do.  We carry LCP .380s with Hornady Critical Defense ammo.  I put mag extensions on them so they carry 8 rds.   I know it is borderline for stopping power but I will always carry it whereas I am disinclined to pack around 2lbs of hand cannon.  Plus, I keep my LC9 9mm in my backpack everyday. 
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2015, 05:54:59 PM »
Neck , face, groin, & knees... Dot the "I"s, & cross their "T"s, if ya get the drift...
 Pie plate at 20-30 paces. Wins every time if ya have the sight alignment/sight picture & practice....
;)

" Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon...windage and elevation..."
quoted from Col. John Henry Thomas, played by John Wayne , in the movie, The Undefeated
:)

Ooops...Never mind... I think I was just thinking about some old bar fights...
;D

We were talking about "guns"? OOOps again.....

Best advice I was ever given about that...
"Wear a condom"...
;)
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline SIXFOOTER

• Whetstone +
  • Wandering Smartass
« Reply #71 on: March 07, 2015, 06:25:29 AM »

Best advice I was ever given about that...
"Wear a condom"...
;)

Got to Cover Your Rig as the song goes...

I have carried just about all my life, Always in the woods and most times out in public.
Job takes me into some shady places, so always at night.
Finally got legal several years ago and got permitted, was a less painless deal than I had anticipated.
These days I carry a 1911 R1 from Remington in 45, Lovely machine.
South Florida its tough, only need a jacket for 2 or 3 days a year literally.
When its cool I wear a shoulder rig, being a man of certain dimensions helps. the 45 doesn't even print under a loose button up shirt. Warmer weather I have a slip in Frog Skin holster back of the pants.
PITA is I have to clean and lube a Lot, sweat makes them rust rather quickly.

Maker of all things Archaic, Hoarder of Gear and Fluent speaker of BS
Sixfooter got bit by a snake like that once, then after 4 agonizing days... The snake finally died....

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #72 on: March 07, 2015, 08:02:56 AM »
Best thing to help mitigate sweat is a kydex holster. But even then you will still have to do frequent maintenance. I had rusty fingerprints show up on a stainless steel gun back when I lived in Louisiana. Here the climate is much less humid so things don't rust nearly as easily.

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2015, 10:35:20 AM »
The answer is "It depends"....and I won't confirm or deny if I am or am not at any one time.

If you don't carry, it won't do you any good......

Trick is comfort........or you won't carry.

Agree 100%.  My wife and I carry Ruger LCP .380's based on the principle that any gun you have with you is better than the gun you left behind. I carry mine in my front pocket and rarely even know it is there. And yes, regular cleaning and oiling is a must.
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline treez

• Whetstone +
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2015, 10:32:25 AM »
I carry a Ruger SR9C. Usually IWB with N8 Tactical holster. I was using a Kholster  holster for a while, but switched. I still use the Kholster every now and then. Mainly if I am wearing shorts. It distributes the weight a little better.

Offline lgm

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2015, 04:10:36 PM »
Kholster holster looks nice. I use a Foxx & Fist mostly.
What a great day to be outside.

Offline NewEnglandBushcraft

• Whetstone +
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2015, 06:24:03 PM »
Ha! Wouldn't even try it here, I'd be tackled by every cop within 10 miles and put on front page news, because "only crazy people carry guns"  :sarcasm:  :shrug:
"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe." ~ Abraham Lincoln
My blog, https://newenglandbushcraft.wordpress.com/

Offline treez

• Whetstone +
« Reply #77 on: March 25, 2015, 06:07:01 AM »
Ha! Wouldn't even try it here, I'd be tackled by every cop within 10 miles and put on front page news, because "only crazy people carry guns"  :sarcasm:  :shrug:
Here in Ohio you can open carry and if you have a ccw licence you can carry concealed. I have my ccw, so I carry concealed. I know a few people that think only "crazy people" carry guns. each to their own I guess.

As a side note I remember reading the other day that a former Maryland Governor who was strictly against guns when out with some ccw holders. They educated him on gun statistics and took him to a range I think. From what I remember he basically went 180 on his view points. Education is key, as long as the people you are trying to educate are as open minded as they say they are.

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #78 on: March 25, 2015, 07:30:08 AM »

LOL! 

Those same people that think I'm crazy usually believe their phone is the key to safety and life in general.  It's a bliss life with your head in the sand...
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

• Whetstone +
« Reply #79 on: March 25, 2015, 09:43:20 AM »
Here in Ohio you can open carry and if you have a ccw licence you can carry concealed. I have my ccw, so I carry concealed. I know a few people that think only "crazy people" carry guns. each to their own I guess.

As a side note I remember reading the other day that a former Maryland Governor who was strictly against guns when out with some ccw holders. They educated him on gun statistics and took him to a range I think. From what I remember he basically went 180 on his view points. Education is key, as long as the people you are trying to educate are as open minded as they say they are.
Unfortunately, talking to the community where I live is like talking to a wall, and they are too caught up in fear and propaganda to care for honest education. When I leave this state, I will NOT be returning.
"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Offline MtnManJoe

• Whetstone +
  • PNW (N Oregon Coast)
« Reply #80 on: March 27, 2015, 01:30:32 AM »
I have been doing this "Bushcrafting/Survivaling" thing   for Many Moons (60  years or so),  and  I have Never had the "Need"  to go into The Wilderness  Armed. (that does not mean that I haven't done so -  ''for specific reasons" -  but Fear was never one of those reasons)

Few things scare me -  but 'wannabe'  outdoor folk with a fear of the Wilderness and a gun is one of them...  On more than one occasion I have seen/heard one (or several)  of these 'yayhoos' get spooked by something that "goes bump in the night"  and come out of the tent shooting ...  *shudder* ...
If I  wanted to  be near that kind of insanity  I would live in "The City"

JMHO   -   YMMV

"Take a course in good water and air; and in the eternal youth of Nature you may renew your own. Go quietly, alone; no harm will befall you."
2016 Personal Goals: Tweak/Optimize Kit || 10 Day Hikes || 50 Nights in 'The Bush'
"Take a course in good water and air; and in the eternal youth of Nature you may renew your own. Go quietly, alone; no harm will befall you."

Offline Fink

• Whetstone +
« Reply #81 on: March 27, 2015, 01:38:29 AM »
I hope I don't get too much flak for this s but I want to start carrying a gun in my semi but,  I  am a long haul drayage driver who goes well not the coastal ports and the  am paranoid about the consequences. It's getting rougher and router out here and it would be nice to have a way to defend myself.

Sent from my SCH-I535PP using Tapatalk

Truckin ain't for sissies!

Offline treez

• Whetstone +
« Reply #82 on: March 27, 2015, 07:03:02 AM »
I have been doing this "Bushcrafting/Survivaling" thing   for Many Moons (60  years or so),  and  I have Never had the "Need"  to go into The Wilderness  Armed. (that does not mean that I haven't done so -  ''for specific reasons" -  but Fear was never one of those reasons)

Few things scare me -  but 'wannabe'  outdoor folk with a fear of the Wilderness and a gun is one of them...  On more than one occasion I have seen/heard one (or several)  of these 'yayhoos' get spooked by something that "goes bump in the night"  and come out of the tent shooting ...  *shudder* ...

JMHO   -   YMMV

We have a meth  issue here in Ohio, and I carry more for the meth heads and other unsavory people I may come across in the woods. Not so much the wildlife. There have been several meth making sites on both state, federal, and private lands here.

I do agree with you, that you should not be running out of the tent and shooting at anything that goes bump in the night.

• Whetstone +
« Reply #83 on: March 27, 2015, 07:03:50 AM »

JMHO   -   YMMV

Agreed. I've never felt a need to go armed, even with the return of black bears to my state and the chance (though rare) of a mountain lion encounter. The same goes with coyotes...what's the big deal? They're not going to attack you out of nowhere and drag your carcass off to a den, not unless you were either already dead or close to dying. Perhaps it's the fear of being alone and cut off from everything that is known or familiar. :shrug:
 A staff is all I've ever needed, more of a third leg to keep me from tripping flat on my face over rocky terrain than anything else.

Offline RedBeard

• Whetstone +
« Reply #84 on: March 29, 2015, 01:49:09 AM »

JMHO   -   YMMV

It's not about the many moons that you didn't need your gun, it's about the one that you do. Not trying to hammer your opinion (to each his own) but it's not about going into the woods scared, it's about going into the woods prepared.
Keep your head down... Semper Fi

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #85 on: March 29, 2015, 10:44:12 PM »
I also carry mainly for two legged threats, not for yotes or bear. I think most folk who go armed into the woods do so for one of two reasons: hunting, or self defense. Just because you're in the woods doesn't mean you're alone.

Offline Squall

• Mill File+
  • The book was better.
« Reply #86 on: March 30, 2015, 07:08:04 AM »
I've always been a big fan of, "better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it," but that's just my opinion.  I agree with those that have expressed more concern for two legged problems than four legged ones, but I wouldn't discount animals.

Joe, someone coming out shooting is reprehensible.  I'm a stickler for the four rules of firearms safety, and that kind of uncontrolled and undisciplined fire flies right in the face of several of them.  People like that are usually as big a threat as whatever they're afraid of, unfortunately.  Far to many people buy a gun and think that just having it makes them safe instead of getting any kind of training, or subjecting themselves to regular practice.  Throw in some adrenaline and low light, and you've got one heck of a bad day. 
Just a backyard bushcrafting neophyte.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #87 on: March 30, 2015, 10:21:40 AM »
I hope I don't get too much flak for this s but I want to start carrying a gun in my semi but,  I  am a long haul drayage driver who goes well not the coastal ports and the  am paranoid about the consequences. It's getting rougher and router out here and it would be nice to have a way to defend myself.

Sent from my SCH-I535PP using Tapatalk

I am not well versed in the laws or reliability of such but I do recall reading a while back that some truckers have opted for black powder percussion revolvers, howdahs, sawed offs and such.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #88 on: March 30, 2015, 11:23:54 AM »

JMHO   -   YMMV

Hi Joe.

I used to feel the same way. One could even spend an appreciable time in the woods and not even need a knife, or little more than a small pocketknife. As my interest started to drift back to the "golden age" I became more interested in carrying firearms when I can legally do so.
I'm not a big time hunter so I have never been on extended trips afield carrying and caring for guns day in/ day out outdoors. It's only during bow season that I feel comfortable still hunting, overnighting at a few sparsely used WMA's I have access to.

Like you I don't worry too much about encountering any sort of threat. To me it is about fun, learning to carry my tools comfortably, naturally, figuring out what works well and what does not. I also realized I was buying into the narrative that my fellow human beings are untrustworthy morons, up to no good, and dangerous. There are some. Most of us are good, smart enough, and will rise to the occasion when necessary. People with guns is something else not to worry about.

That's my view, which is not intended to demean your's or your experiences. Just saying I changed my mind. 

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #89 on: March 30, 2015, 06:12:02 PM »
My uncle is a long distance trucker and he refuses to carry a gun on the road, only because if you end up using it, in many states they don't recognize your state's carry laws and you can end up in a real legal mess. Better to carry a purpose made tire thumper or coin sap. Something that serves a dual purpose.

Offline Wood Trekker

• Water Stone
    • Wood Trekker
« Reply #90 on: April 02, 2015, 12:00:34 PM »
I carry a gun when I'm hunting. Otherwise it's too much weight.

Offline Phaedrus

• Mill File
« Reply #91 on: October 27, 2017, 12:46:08 AM »
If I'm wearing pants, assume I'm carrying a knife, a gun and a flashlight.  I can't carry at work but outside of work I'm pretty much always armed.  While camping or hiking I'll be carrying a sidearm for sure; if I'm in a remote area I'll probably be carrying two.  If I'm in bear country I'll be carrying a 9mm with 147gr +P Buffalo Bore hard cast and a 12 ga shotgun loaded with Brenneke K.O. slugs along with a cannister of bear spray.