Author Topic: Diogenes' Day Hikes - 2015 Edition *Pic Heavy*  (Read 6916 times)

Offline diogenes

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Water Stone
  • Winding down.
Diogenes' Day Hikes - 2015 Edition *Pic Heavy*
« on: February 28, 2015, 08:34:20 PM »
The Missus, the pup & I got out for a romp today. Temps were in the 20's and low 30's. There was some snow on the ground, mostly on the trail and north-facing slopes, but midway through the hike it started snowing pretty hard.

We've been here many times before. It's a nice spot fairly close to home.

A fist-sized shelf mushroom. I'll be back for you later.

Following a creek bed.

Love the look of these hills.

The trail was plenty icy.

The Missouri, hazed in snowflakes. You can see chunks of ice floating downstream.

At another overlook. I was testing my new overnight pack this hike. It wasn't quite a full load, maybe 25 lbs, but it was comfortable. I think I'll be happy with it.

The native-yet-rarely-seen holly tree.

I was hoping we'd see some deer during the hike, but no such luck. :-\

During the last half mile of the hike we met a couple on the trail asking it this was the 5 mile loop. I told them it was, but warned them that there were only a couple hours of daylight left, the temp was dropping, and the trail gets pretty rugged further in. I noticed they were wearing treadless designer boots, and weren't carrying water or anything besides the coats on their backs. I asked if they intended to do the full 5 miles. They said they did and didn't seem concerned about time or conditions. I wondered by the way they were speaking if they were high or something. Hmm. Okay. Enjoy your hike, I guess. :shrug:

Winter colors.

It's a good thing we got out when we did. It's still snowing and will continue through tomorrow morning. I hope that couple got out okay.

Thanks for looking, everyone.
"Go away," Chuang Tzu said. "I'm dragging my tail in the mud."

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
Re: Diogenes' Day Hikes - 2015 Edition *Pic Heavy*
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 09:22:32 PM »
Very cool pictures Diogenes, beautiful area. Although the I haven't been in that kind of weather in a while, your pictures sure do tempt me to make a drive north sometime soon.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 09:23:41 PM »
....and thank you for showing us! :thumbsup:    You guys sure have a nice spot to get out in for shorter day hikes there......reminds me a lot of my area upriver from you. :canoe:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 10:39:12 PM »
You just know this thread will be on my radar...  8)
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 08:28:26 AM »

^ Ditto!

Thanks for sharing your outing &any future trips! I enjoy seeing the pics & reading what you have to say about the trips. Looks like an enjoyable jaunt!
:)
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 10:46:47 AM »
Very nice. Good to lend good advice. Your surroundings look a lot like mine right now. Love the dog. I'd wind up carrying mine the whole trip if it's cold.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline diogenes

• Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 11:37:27 AM »
Very cool pictures Diogenes, beautiful area. Although the I haven't been in that kind of weather in a while, your pictures sure do tempt me to make a drive north sometime soon.

Thanks, man. I love this kind of weather. Looks like they've been getting some winter weather just north of you, too.

....and thank you for showing us! :thumbsup:    You guys sure have a nice spot to get out in for shorter day hikes there......reminds me a lot of my area upriver from you. :canoe:

Gladly, wolfy. It's a great spot for exploring and there are some longer hikes you can go on, too.

How's the River look up your way? I can't imagine it'd freeze over, it's so swift.

^ Ditto!

Thanks for sharing your outing &any future trips! I enjoy seeing the pics & reading what you have to say about the trips. Looks like an enjoyable jaunt!

Cheers, guys. I'm hoping to get as many trips (hikes, overnighters, etc) in before the busy season starts up again at work.

Very nice. Good to lend good advice. Your surroundings look a lot like mine right now. Love the dog. I'd wind up carrying mine the whole trip if it's cold.

Creek

Thanks. Yeah, normally I'm not gonna butt in and offer unsolicited advice, but they basically asked me where they were. Once I got a look at 'em and learned their intentions I had to say something. It was only a 5 mile hike but it still took us ~3 hours, the conditions being what they were. I'd guess that they went in a little further and turned back, seeing how rough the terrain gets. At least that's what I hope.

Finn's a tough little pup. He doesn't seem to mind the cold for the most part. With the fresh snow he was, however, having ice form on his paws that we'd periodically have to pick off, so we probably need to get or make him some booties.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 07:04:36 PM »

Finn's a tough little pup. He doesn't seem to mind the cold for the most part. With the fresh snow he was, however, having ice form on his paws that we'd periodically have to pick off, so we probably need to get or make him some booties.

Gonna sound kind of dumb, but if ya take some"Pam" or non stick spray & hit his paws ( mainly between the toes), before ya go out ... he is less likely to get those pesky snow balls, in between the toes.
 ;)

Silicone spray can work, but the food grade stuff won't hurt him a bit if he goes to licking...

Check it out, next time ya get the chance. Might be surprised.

Our Aussie Shepard, Jasper,  has the same troubles. It seems to work for us.
 ;)
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline diogenes

• Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 08:52:59 PM »
Not dumb-sounding at all, Mn. You knew exactly what I was talking about there. I'm pretty sure we have some pan spray in the cupboard so I'll definitely give it a shot. Thanks. :)

Offline diogenes

• Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2015, 01:33:51 PM »
My sister and niece have been in town visiting this week and we took a little hike yesterday. The weather was beautiful, around 60 degrees.

We met a couple along the trail that harness trained their cat from a kitten.

Taking a break in the hammock. It was a good day out and we only found one tick on us the whole time. I call that a win.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2015, 02:35:23 PM »
Nice meeting more of the family, diogenes. :thumbsup:     Flynn seemed to be 'tolerating' the experience in a socially acceptable manner, too! :lol:

Offline Sarge

• Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2015, 09:03:58 PM »
That last pic is great! Looks like a nice day. 👍

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart

Online OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 06:54:48 AM »
Nice time.  One tick is something to be happy about!  LOL!  Good times   :cheers:

My daughter loves having her face painted.  It's amazing how still they sit for those.  haha!
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline Orbean

• Whetstone +
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2015, 02:50:57 PM »
Thanks for the pics, looks like a really nice outing, btw love the face painting. Mine is too old for that now (teenager) I sure do miss those days
Nice matters

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2015, 04:29:47 PM »
That's a great pic...

Offline treez

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2015, 06:19:50 PM »
Great pics! Thanks for sharing. Looked like a good time.

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2015, 06:13:03 PM »
Family time in the woods, the best. Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline diogenes

• Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2015, 10:14:28 PM »
Well, my busy season snuck up on me this year. You may or may not have noticed, but I haven't been on the forum much the past month.

We've gotten out a couple times recently. We went to the confluence for a bit a couple weekends ago. Finn loves a game of fetch...

And he loves diggin!

This past weekend we went for a nice little hike on a fairly expansive glade. It was surrounded by hardwood forest and small creeks running throughout.

Lots of wildflowers.

Dogwoods.

This little guy was about the size of a nickel.

Little skink, I think?

These come in yellow, too. Don't know what they're called but the day-glow color in this photo's accurate.

We'd hoped we would find some morels, but no luck. I don't know if we were too early or too late.

A little late for these fiddleheads.

"Leave me alone!"

Thanks for looking, guys.

Things are picking up at work, so I'm gonna be less active for at least the next few months, but I'll check in when I can. I worked an 18 hour day a couple weeks ago. I won't do that again if I can help it.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2015, 10:29:08 PM »
Beautiful shots, buddy.....as usual, except better!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:     The flower pictures are spectacular.......a nd I couldn't help but notice that Finn was off-leash.........FREEEEEEDOMMMMM! :banana:

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2015, 04:37:07 PM »
Hooray for Finn... and yes we did notice your absence, nice to see you back... great pics as always.  :cheers:

Offline diogenes

• Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2015, 04:46:24 PM »
Sorry I've been away, everybody. As I mentioned earlier, this has been a particularly brutal busy season for us at work (so much so that, I'm about to change jobs.) Here's the kind of fun I've managed to squeeze in.

We've been getting a lot of rain so it's been pretty hot and humid. Swimming's about all I can think about some days. Fortunately one of my buddies has some land with some really nice swimming holes. All of these pictures are from my phone, taken the past two weekends.

The creek's up.

These little shrooms are about an inch tall.

Finn's been mostly good off leash.

We went out again yesterday, just us boys, and went to a more remote spot. This place is amazing and I think only a handful of people know about it as it's on private land.

Little copperhead trying to swim against the current, maybe 3 feet long.

Finn's turning out to be a pretty good swimmer. He likes the water.

I like this place a lot. Some nice, deep pools and it's pretty well shaded.

Finn's bud Nemo in the background there.

Further downstream it opens up more and there are some taller bluffs.

Not much explanation is needed. This place is gorgeous. Probably the most fun I've had in months.

We turned back here. I can only imagine the sights further downstream.

Back at the cabin my buddy's boys caught a little 5-lined skink, sans part of his tail.

Well, I better get going. I'm making my Pop dinner for Dads' Day. Thanks for looking, everyone. Hopefully, changing jobs will free up more time and energy for fun stuff. :)

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2015, 05:17:13 PM »
LOL... look at that little ragamuffin

Enjoy your dinner with Dad, thanks for the pics  :cheers:

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2015, 05:25:33 PM »
Great looking outing. Man, who wouldn't love to own some property like that, gorgeous.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2015, 05:47:44 PM »
Good photos of a good time with a bunch of good lookin' kids & their dog in a good place.........all made possible by a GREAT DAD! :hail:

Offline woodsrunner

• Water Stone
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2015, 09:40:09 PM »
i smile every time i see a picture of Finn :)
what with his rocky start and all, many of us feel a special bond to the little "Lassie come home" prospect ;)...woods
'At play in the fields of the Lord'
Save a Logger...Eat a Tree Hugger!

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2015, 04:08:44 AM »
Awesome.  Thanks for the pics.

Offline Sarge

• Water Stone
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2015, 01:55:51 PM »
That is a great looking place. Thanks for taking us along. Glad you got out and took those young'ns. When they get older, kids won't always remember the things they got got this Christmas or that birthday but they'll remember those trips. Good times!

Sorry to hear about work. Good luck with the new one.

"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2015, 02:16:53 PM »
Some seriously good stuff.  That creek sure looks like some prime arrowhead hunting territory.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline diogenes

• Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2015, 10:58:00 AM »
Good photos of a good time with a bunch of good lookin' kids & their dog in a good place.........all made possible by a GREAT DAD! :hail:

Yup, I fully agree. My buddy gets his kids out there as much as possible and they love it. I can't think of a better place to spend a hot summer day.

i smile every time i see a picture of Finn :)
what with his rocky start and all, many of us feel a special bond to the little "Lassie come home" prospect ;)...woods

He's turning out to be a good dog. Hasn't been wandering too far and always comes when I call him. The whole thing might've been just as traumatic for him as for us. He doesn't like being separated for too long.

That is a great looking place. Thanks for taking us along. Glad you got out and took those young'ns. When they get older, kids won't always remember the things they got got this Christmas or that birthday but they'll remember those trips. Good times!

Sorry to hear about work. Good luck with the new one.

Completely agree, Sarge. Some of the most fun a kid could have is in and around a creek. Also, people who never go to the woods have no idea just what a sensory smorgasbord it is. It really leaves a lasting impression. I'm sure everyone else here dreams about the woods.

I start my new job after next week. Looking forward to something new.

Some seriously good stuff.  That creek sure looks like some prime arrowhead hunting territory.

Thanks, man. I've done a lot of rock hounding down there and found some pieces that look like they were tooled, but no arrowheads yet. I think my buddy said they have found 'em down there, though.

Thanks for looking and for the kind comments, everyone. I'll post more up whenever I get out next. :)

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2015, 01:33:07 PM »
Great looking outing pics there. Glad to see Finn behaving and having a good time.

He's turning out to be a good dog. Hasn't been wandering too far and always comes when I call him. The whole thing might've been just as traumatic for him as for us. He doesn't like being separated for too long.
We had a greyhound loose for 2 years and a month that avoided the groups traps to catch her. She would put 3 feet in and back out.

Now where she is staying the owner says she don't like staying out alone in the fenced yard.
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2015, 04:56:33 PM »
Looks like an awesome river to play in!