Author Topic: Emigrant Peak Montana dayhike  (Read 5260 times)

Offline woodsrunner

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
Emigrant Peak Montana dayhike
« on: July 01, 2015, 04:08:34 PM »
Saterdays workout
another mountain hike...my third hike last week, kicked me arse...
but it was fun none the less ;)

[video=youtube;eSLciKjiPdY][/video]

some pics along the way

ahhh yes a nice spring means a nice cold drink
and a great place to refill my water bottle

high up on the side of the mountain
my truck is parked at the far end of that drainage on the left side of the photo

The way is unmarked and steep with loose shale which causes the ground to move beneath your feet
While this is not a technical climb, a fair bit of scrambling (climbing) is necisary to reach the summit.

looking back along the ridge and knife edge

taken from The Summit....approx 11000 ft

The Way back Down

some parting shots on the way down

one last look back

Thanks For Comin Along...woods
'At play in the fields of the Lord'
Save a Logger...Eat a Tree Hugger!

Offline Dano

• Water Stone
Re: Emigrant Peak Montana dayhike
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 06:20:55 PM »
That is some beautiful scenery you have to go out to there Woods!!  I can't put into words how much I love looking at your posts.  There really is a strong calling every time I look at the pics, really makes me hope to visit your state some time!!

Thanks for sharing!!

PS- with my luck, one slip and I'd be at the bottom of the drink judging by the inclines LOL

Offline pete28

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 07:05:10 PM »
Woods, that is some beautiful country my friend. What state are you in? Everything about that area looks amazing. I couldn't stop looking at some of the plants and flowers. Just a bit of a sidebar, if you ever need one of the worlds best natural green plant dyes there was some either cranesbill or storksbill, (couldn't make out the exact pattern) in the picture with the blue, yellow and white flowers. I bet by the looks of the terrain you have some good flint deposits up that way. Absolutely beautiful country my friend.
The more you look with your eyes the less you will truly see.

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 07:45:58 PM »
Another home run my friend, you are a blessed man for living in such a beautiful country, thanks for sharing it with us.
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline woodsrunner

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 07:59:14 PM »
That is some beautiful scenery you have to go out to there Woods!!  I can't put into words how much I love looking at your posts. There really is a strong calling every time I look at the pics, really makes me hope to visit your state some time!!

Thanks for sharing!!

PS- with my luck, one slip and I'd be at the bottom of the drink judging by the inclines LOL
We'll Leave the light on for ya Dano...thanks for looking!

Woods, that is some beautiful country my friend. What state are you in? Everything about that area looks amazing. I couldn't stop looking at some of the plants and flowers. Just a bit of a sidebar, if you ever need one of the worlds best natural green plant dyes there was some either cranesbill or storksbill, (couldn't make out the exact pattern) in the picture with the blue, yellow and white flowers. I bet by the looks of the terrain you have some good flint deposits up that way. Absolutely beautiful country my friend.
...Thanks for saying...Montana just north of Yellowstone Park
Sticky geranium, aka cranesbill.....Lupi ne....forget me nots....Wood Balsam, Arnica, and many more...good eye amigo!

Another home run my friend, you are a blessed man for living in such a beautiful country, thanks for sharing it with us.
I have been blessed old friend...thanks for lookin!...woods

Offline WesinND

• Whetstone +
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 08:29:11 PM »
I just finished watching the video on your channel and thoroughly enjoyed it.  It is beautiful country and it looked like one humdinger of a climb.  Thanks for sharing!  Wes

Online OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 08:35:31 PM »
Awesome hike woods.  That was a beautiful climb.  I'm usually not a fan of tracker style knives but that one of yours seemed pretty neat.  Thanks for share, always enjoy your trips!
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline woodsrunner

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 11:02:37 PM »
I just finished watching the video on your channel and thoroughly enjoyed it.  It is beautiful country and it looked like one humdinger of a climb.  Thanks for sharing!  Wes
Thanks for watching and commenting Wes  :cheers:...woods

Awesome hike woods.  That was a beautiful climb.  I'm usually not a fan of tracker style knives but that one of yours seemed pretty neat.  Thanks for share, always enjoy your trips!
Thanks amigo! :thumbsup: Ditto on tracker knives, ive owned the tops version and made a couple close copies for other folks, though i never really too a shine to them.
This one was hand forged in Nepal, has a differentially heat treated blade which has a distal tapered blade and handle and sports a nice generous handle with rosewood scales.
Also the point of the blade is nicely in line with the handle...OH! and its minus that pain in the rear saw...thanks for watchin me drag my ugly carcus up that steep SOB :P:cheers:...woods

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 08:47:15 AM »
Another good one, Dave! :thumbsup:      With that much scree to navigate, you had to be wearing some pretty serious footwear.   I'm curious as to what you wear for a trek like that.....thin air, so every ounce on your feet is a hindrance and very rough surface conditions where foot and ankle protection is vital.  My guess is that you don't shop at Payless Shoesource or Walmart. :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Online Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 09:24:30 AM »
Fantastic trip. Would like to say more but it would sound too envious.
Thanks for sharing.

Offline woodsrunner

• Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2015, 06:30:49 PM »
Another good one, Dave! :thumbsup:      With that much scree to navigate, you had to be wearing some pretty serious footwear.   I'm curious as to what you wear for a trek like that.....thin air, so every ounce on your feet is a hindrance and very rough surface conditions where foot and ankle protection is vital.  My guess is that you don't shop at Payless Shoesource or Walmart. :shrug:
Thanks Craig,  for this one i had on a pair of Lowa mid hikers....though i was missing my classic leather Meindl's...next time...dave

Offline woodsrunner

• Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2015, 06:37:42 PM »
Fantastic trip. Would like to say more but it would sound too envious.
Thanks for sharing.
thanks...it was an awesome place to be...but you can't eat it....well, at least not all of it,...not all at once anyways ;)...woods

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2015, 06:43:36 PM »
Thanks Dave nice video and photos.  Great country in your neck of the woods.

I do believe that my knees won't do that kind of trip these days so I ride along on your videos and enjoy the trip. 

« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 06:58:28 PM by wsdstan »
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline woodsrunner

• Water Stone
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2015, 07:42:34 PM »
Thanks Dave nice video and photos.  Great country in your neck of the woods.

I do believe that my knees won't do that kind of trip these days so I ride along on your videos and enjoy the trip.
well thanks for that Stan n thanks for coming along :cheers:...woods

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2015, 06:12:06 AM »
Thanks Craig,  for this one i had on a pair of Lowa mid hikers....though i was missing my classic leather Meindl's...next time...dave

Nice trip as usual Dave,  I've developed some foot problems over the last year that have put a serious kink in my hikes,  good footware is not something I can afford to flirt with anymore,  though I'd never heard of Meindl shoes before I ran across a few reviews in my research of trying to settle in a new pair.
  I was looking at Danner and a few other high end brands when I found the reviews,  I've always been hard to fit so mail order shoes and boots are out for me,  as luck would have it I found that Cabella's carries Meindel brand shoes and a new store opened about 30 miles from my place.
  I took a chance and visited the new store and they did have dome in stock,  I settled on a pair of made for Cabella's leather Meindl hiking chukka boots that were a good fit,  while they felt good right from the start they have gotten better after a short break in,  now I'm really loving them.
  After so many years of having little to choose from than expensive cheaply made and poor fitting Chinese made boots it's really nice to get into a really well made shoe again,  I'm really sold on them and I'm planning to pick up another pair this fall,  they certainly ain't cheap,  but they are worth every penny of what they get for them.

As always,  thanks for sharing Dave.

Moe
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline woodsrunner

• Water Stone
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2015, 04:53:14 PM »
Hey Moe!
thanks for the comment
them meindl's only get better with age my friend...sounds like your as happy with them as i am with mine, very cool 8)...woods

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2015, 09:27:40 PM »
Those are some breathtaking pictures! Looks like an awesome experience. Views like that are not easy to come by, but worth the effort. Thanks for letting the rest of us have a glimpse through your camera. :thumbsup:

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2015, 05:43:48 PM »
Awesome pictures.  I sure do see a lot of knife handles in that giant burl.

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2015, 08:17:42 AM »
Great scenery!  Beautiful Photos, too!  It makes me homesick for my native Colorado, though.  :-\
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver