Author Topic: 12/18/2015 Day hike with Madmax  (Read 1828 times)

Offline sgtmcboom

• Whetstone +
12/18/2015 Day hike with Madmax
« on: December 18, 2015, 10:53:59 AM »

Went for a day hike with Madmax and walked around looking at the different trees and vegetation around and there different uses. When we came across something I have never seen before. Very out of place like the hand of god came down and twisted this large pine tree around like a giant bread tie. The whole base of the tree is fatwood we only had small pocket tools to work with but I was able to get a little from it and plan on going back for more. Was a great time and will have to do it again soon.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Re: 12/18/2015 Day hike with Madmax
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 11:14:00 AM »
Really enjoyed the hike sgtmcboom.  We'll pack an axe to collect some more of that lighter next time. And some longleaf pine needles.  We got lucky with the timing and dodged the rain.  You're gonna fit right in with the group.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline sgtmcboom

• Whetstone +
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 11:26:09 AM »

Thats great to hear yeah I was thinking an axe or saw and just hog into it but would have to be a long saw as the tree was pretty thick. If I had my bushcraft tools kit we would have been golden.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 12:12:21 PM »
Yeah that one you'ld need to be very careful taking deep cuts.  I know a few other ones that a good saw can safely yield resiny fatwood that burns like a candle.

Maybe we can work on cordage next time with palm and yucca.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline sgtmcboom

• Whetstone +
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 12:15:06 PM »

Yeah I keep hearing about reverse wrapping and such I would actually like to gather some material and then find a park bench or something and start working on weaving or making cordage just to get the practice and muscle memory down.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 12:21:18 PM »
Hushnel knows how to weave pine needles and we used to have Daywalker, aka Bill,  aka Runs with Beer who could crank out cordage like crazy.  He made a bow and arrow and shot a fish once before we could get our gear out.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2015, 09:30:55 AM »
Looks like we have found a new member for the tribe.   :)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2015, 10:12:51 AM »
Yeah.  He's gonna fit right in.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline pete28

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2015, 06:09:50 AM »
I haven't tried cordage with pine needles and I am certainly no expert on cordage but I have made a bunch from palm, cedar bark, mimosa bark and 1 or two others. I'm trying to expedite the process with leg rolling but the going is slow. One thing I did find is that for the palms I like to use the strings from cabbage palms. They hang off the ends of the fronds like hair in the wind and you can usually get some good long ones to work with.
The more you look with your eyes the less you will truly see.

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2015, 08:01:40 AM »
Max, maybe on your next outing you can show him the comfort of sleeping with daddy longlegs too!  :rofl: Glad you guys have found a new tribe member.

Creek
Axes Rock!