Author Topic: One-handed fire starting  (Read 3321 times)

Offline mneedham

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship - Charred Cloth Challenge
One-handed fire starting
« on: July 31, 2016, 06:43:06 PM »
I was looking at my channel and found this vid  from a while back....  The idea behind this was sort of a Les Stroud thing, you've been in a plane crash and only have use of your weak-side limb and need to start a fire.  Naturally you don't have a lighter or matches lol.  Kinda silly, but a learning experience.  Try it out sometime.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: One-handed fire starting
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 07:57:09 PM »
Very good.  Not a bad thing to practice at all I would think. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline mneedham

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 03:00:52 PM »
Very good.  Not a bad thing to practice at all I would think.

Thanks.  I always find these kinds of challenges very humbling lol... 

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 09:33:12 PM »
There are a LOT of things a person should practice doing, that gives them a chance to see the difficulties of doing things  "one handed" or even "off handed", for the times where it may be necessary.
;)

Good things for "YOU" to teach your scouts, after YOU have done them. (Leadership by example, not anecdotes & stories... If ya get my "drift"...)
;)
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline mneedham

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 03:20:20 PM »
There are a LOT of things a person should practice doing, that gives them a chance to see the difficulties of doing things  "one handed" or even "off handed", for the times where it may be necessary.
;)

Good things for "YOU" to teach your scouts, after YOU have done them. (Leadership by example, not anecdotes & stories... If ya get my "drift"...)
;)

Well said, I do catch your drift!  In scouting we use the EDGE Method for training:

Explain
Demonstrate
Guide
Enable

I'm blessed to have some wildly skilled folks around me, good teachers too...

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 07:54:35 PM »
 ;)

;)

Well said, I do catch your drift!  In scouting we use the EDGE Method for training:

Explain
Demonstrate
Guide
Enable

OKay. Thanks...
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 08:36:31 PM by MnSportsman »
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline mneedham

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 03:51:55 PM »
 ;)

;)

Explain
Demonstrate
Guide
Enable

OKay. Thanks...

The truth is my scouts already have skills and the men that teach them are are real outdoorsmen.  I post vids to inspire you guys...  I realized a long time ago that many people that post on these forums are terrified of actually picking a knife and going out and processing wood, starting a fire.   It is humbling and educational to do so (especially for unskilled folks like myself lol), but I don't think enjoying talking on a forum means that you can't actually try some skills..  If folks did, the tone and content of threads on all the online forums would change a lot I think.   Post examples of your skills before you post examples of your opinions....

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 07:27:24 PM »
   Post examples of your skills before you post examples of your opinions....

The sentence above could be taken in a couple of ways.

It could be taken as , that some folks should demonstrate they have some skills before they post an opinion about such skills...

Or,  on the other hand.... It could be directed at a person , questioning their skills & that they should not opine without demonstrating such skills.

I am going to take the "nice" road, & figure you are speaking of the first, rather than the last.

IF perhaps, it is the latter of the two & it is directed at a certain person, maybe you ought to be a little more specific. My reply would have been a bit more, Let us say, more... "spirited"... if the latter was the case.
 If ya get my drift once again...

;)

ETA: Fire starting is just one of the outdoors skills for folks to practice, should if they by chance become "one handed' or are handicapped in some way.. Some folks have even mentioned this before... But "one handed" fire starting is certainly a fun place to start.... LOL ;)

« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 08:10:39 PM by MnSportsman »

Offline Aven

• Whetstone +
  • Woods Woman
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 08:40:13 PM »
Nice job M.  I appreciate you taking the time to do the video.  Yes, it is definitely a skill I ought to practice.
Seriously people, stop expecting normal from me.... We all know it's never gonna happen.

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 05:36:28 AM »
Have you figured out 1 handed batonning?
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline mneedham

• Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2016, 02:59:26 PM »
   Post examples of your skills before you post examples of your opinions....

The sentence above could be taken in a couple of ways.

It could be taken as , that some folks should demonstrate they have some skills before they post an opinion about such skills...

Or,  on the other hand.... It could be directed at a person , questioning their skills & that they should not opine without demonstrating such skills.

I am going to take the "nice" road, & figure you are speaking of the first, rather than the last.

IF perhaps, it is the latter of the two & it is directed at a certain person, maybe you ought to be a little more specific. My reply would have been a bit more, Let us say, more... "spirited"... if the latter was the case.
 If ya get my drift once again...

;)

ETA: Fire starting is just one of the outdoors skills for folks to practice, should if they by chance become "one handed' or are handicapped in some way.. Some folks have even mentioned this before... But "one handed" fire starting is certainly a fun place to start.... LOL ;)

Not directed at you bro...  I've seen your vids.  Just clarifying the reason I post.  When I put up my Scoutmaster's challenge, several people indicated that they were in, not one person here ever earned that patch, my scouts were all over that challenge.  The world needs more doers and less yappers.  It's a real problem here at the moment, we have less registered users on line than guests sometimes, people are interested in the content, but don't want to deal with the yapping problem children we have....  Not my issue, just an observation...

No I have not.  Is there a method?

Nice job M.  I appreciate you taking the time to do the video.  Yes, it is definitely a skill I ought to practice.

Bring it Lady!

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2016, 03:16:48 PM »
Jab the knife into a stump, drive it in deep.  Put a section of limb of the appropriate size lengthways into the blade,  baton on the end of the limb, driving it into the blade.  Now I have never tried this and I therefore do not qualify for demonstration.  Just an idea.
-John Denver

Offline mneedham

• Water Stone
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2016, 03:51:17 PM »
Jab the knife into a stump, drive it in deep.  Put a section of limb of the appropriate size lengthways into the blade,  baton on the end of the limb, driving it into the blade.  Now I have never tried this and I therefore do not qualify for demonstration.  Just an idea.

I will try that...  Sounds like a great approach!

Offline Dabberty

• Whetstone +
    • My outdoor & DIY blog
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2016, 07:56:14 AM »
Interesting, I'll give it a shot as well.
My outdoor & DIY blog:  www.dabberty.com

Offline mneedham

• Water Stone
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2016, 07:31:03 PM »
Interesting, I'll give it a shot as well.

Cool - the question is whether you can drive the knife into the stump far enough, with one hand to baton against....

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2016, 07:49:32 PM »
If the blade is long enough, drive it in with the baton.  Just leave enough sticking out to remove it.  Or walk back to the truck and get your axe!!!
-John Denver

Offline mneedham

• Water Stone
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2016, 08:38:30 PM »
If the blade is long enough, drive it in with the baton.  Just leave enough sticking out to remove it.  Or walk back to the truck and get your axe!!!

No truck, its a plane crash lol...  The weak-side is harder than it sounds actually...

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2016, 05:54:12 AM »
IIRC, on the Survivorman episode where he tried to do everything one handed, he had to give up. 
-John Denver

Offline mneedham

• Water Stone
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2016, 06:16:31 PM »
IIRC, on the Survivorman episode where he tried to do everything one handed, he had to give up.

Could be...  The fire is doable, shelter-might be tough though.  I prefer a saw to an axe, using weak-side..  Probably a little safer too.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2016, 05:02:18 PM »
Somewhere along the line in this topic, I see that "batoning" one handed has become a subject of discussion. I think it would be a good Topic by itself as a. "One Handed" task.

Pondering on that , I wonder why no one here, has mentioned... or has thought about taking ones knife & whittling another "tool" called a "wedge", to do the same task that one would use a knife for in "batoning".  So... I will... LOL :)

To me, "batoning" is the same as "splitting" wood, by using ones knife( or some sort of a "Wedge") by pounding it with a stick rock/etc... to split wood into smaller lengths lengthwise ( <mostly, but can also be done crosswise).

Seems to me that if I were one handed & needed to "baton", or "split" wood... I would simply carve a cylindrical( branch) & put a cone (point) on one end, or whittle it into a "wedge" shape on the end & then pound that wedge into the end or side of what I wanted to split, with a "baton" or maul, or just a rock, while my knife sits in its sheath. If I needed a "groove" to start the split, I would make one, by knife, sharp rock, or even a saw if I had one...
Speaking of rocks, even a sharp rock hit with another rock to make a wedge would work if a piece of wood needed to be split. WOrks for bone to get the marrow out, or make a tool out of the bone..seems to me it would work just fine as a wedge to split wood.
 ;)

I was gonna make a video showing what I mean, but the tone of my voice may have put some folks off if I did it before I mentioned it here in writing.
LOL
 ;D

I hope some of you can appreciate my humor here. :) Maybe some can & some can not... I just simply have made it a point to work on outdoor skills once in a while if I am disabled to one hand, or one leg or whatever, to try to figure out how to do things while handicapped for some reason or another.

I am glad to see that the subject is at least having some attention.
 :)

BTW... Some of us, as Mr mneedham pointed out... actually do go out & do some of this stuff. Much like the ones who did ( have done) the Pot & Machete stuff.. Some do not...

"DO"-in, seems to be more important than typing for some folks. I agree. But some folks aren't able to do the "Do-in" much since they have gotten a little more "long in the tooth" than others who might not recognise age until it hits them in the butt....

Regardless, I would like to see someone go out & take some pics or make a video showing how to split wood(baton) one handed... Saves ME from doing it.
 ;)

LOL

Have a great day!
 :)

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2017, 07:59:04 PM »
i remember one time years ago rafting alone on the des plaines river in illinois,
got hypothermia in both hands and caused me to cut the trip short.
it was in febuary. i had to paddle up to a low hanging branch which hung over the bank.
i wrapped both arms around the branch and stuck my foot thru the guide line that
circled the raft and pulled it behind me.

when i was finally on flat ground, i had to use my mouth to open the air valve
and then flopped around on the raft to force the air out, with my hands flopping about
i managed to roll the raft up, and place it in the duffel bag.
never did that again, but was a harry experience. espessially when i thought i could paddle
over the dam. i ended up paddling along the dam to the bank. caugh a breather and walked the raft down aways from the dam, and continued. what a day.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2017, 08:21:57 AM »
I've done this. Used my left hand and stood on my schf9. I scrapped my magnesium block against the blade. Cheating? not if you always carry one!

I would not risk breaking my knife batoning it into a stump, or worse not being able to remove it.

There are natural tinder's that could be used rather than batoning. k.i.s.s.

Only a few knots are one handed. clove hitch is one of them.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.