Author Topic: my backwoods  (Read 2842 times)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
my backwoods
« on: September 06, 2016, 10:35:07 AM »
I'm realizing lately how lucky I am to have a go to place. Peaceful and solitary. I build a small fire almost everyday and use it as a timer. When the fire goes out it's time to come home. My dogs are getting old to fast.

Julia my ridgeback is 6 now. Xena is my 50/50 Rottweiler/Great Dane is 3. Big dogs don't live that long and I'll probably lose both very close together.

Here is moose(Xena) being her goofy self.

Today I built a too big of a fire kind of testing out different woods for dampness and burnable. My poor Julia was barely able to walk back. She runs nonstop until she's about exhausted. I will need a new fire pit soon...

I've been setting up and changing my hammock. I haven't done an overnight yet. I'm making an underquilt first. here is the stockpile I have built up today. Some of it will be a reflective wall and a firewood stand. The rest is firewood. I'll be stocking as much as I can each day until snow fall.

you can just see the fire pit between the two far right trees. I made it near the creek so I could pour water on it before leaving. There is no water. major drought here. Worst I've seen in my lifetime. I am supplying water to my neighbors horses and letting them shower here.

pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
Re: my backwoods
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 10:39:32 AM »
That's fortunate to have nice little getaway spot.  short little refreshers are very valuable.  Enjoying a hot cup and looking at the sky from a hammock is a good day.
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline Orbean

• Whetstone +
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 11:58:28 AM »
That looks like a neat place to hangout. I feel you about the dogs, that is always rough
Nice matters

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 02:45:01 PM »
Cool digs.  We always had Great Danes growing up.  Usually about three at a time.  Uncle Remus lived to be 15 so ya never know.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 03:01:13 PM »
Thank you, most of my dog's lived to be between 12 and 15. Our neighbor's Dane was only 8. Don't know what they fed him.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Dano

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 06:50:28 PM »
Looks like a nice place you're getting set up, and very cool to be able to have it right on your own place!!  :thumbsup:

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 11:18:32 PM »
You have a creek too? 

I've been thinking about what  I would like in a piece of property. A few things become fantasy quickly, although I have not gone global in my hunt.

Yeah, when I put running surface water on the list.... Stuff gets rare.   :hail:

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 03:28:04 PM »
Very cool place. Most of us have to leave home to "get away" but you don't!
"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart

Offline pap11y

• Whetstone +
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2016, 04:13:44 PM »
Great spot..

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 05:58:53 PM »
Looks like a great place.  Thanks for taking us along.

Offline mahaney

• Mill File+
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2016, 02:47:53 PM »
That looks like a great place. That tarp is good coverage. What size is it?

J

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2016, 06:17:39 AM »
12' ridgeline and 10 feet wide. Check the diy section for the post  $1 ripstop.

Thanks for the nice comments. Here is Xena thinking she can join me. NOPE! She is 150lbs by herself.

Julia can sleep with me but she was running around in poison ivy.

I rode the bike down with just the hammock and a bottle of water for muttley's. You can see the dry creek bed...

There was a magnificent view...

« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 06:25:15 AM by xj35s »

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2016, 11:48:45 AM »
Now you can see the creek that has been dry all summer.

Offline Orbean

• Whetstone +
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2016, 03:00:50 PM »
Its a great looking place.
Nice matters

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2016, 06:00:19 PM »
Very nice! We need some rain around here something terrible.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2017, 12:50:32 PM »
So now I know facebook sharing doesn't work. I guess photobucket from now on.

This large tree was very healthy this summer. It's thin but one of the tallest on my property. Came out with the roots. Sugar maple I believe. Be good firewood next year but it's a shame. I also took pictures of the 90* bent tree. I hope you can see how long the horizontal branches reach.

I trekked a couple miles today with the dogs wearing the extreme cold boots from wilderbeast. I had thin merino wool socks on. They still didn't pull my socks down to my toes and I felt no cold at all. There were no hot spots or pinching. They were a great buy.

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2017, 05:40:06 PM »
Be careful when you start cutting on those two. Bought bet ya there is some energy stored on the right angle tree. Sure looks pretty out there.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2017, 06:00:57 PM »
Looks like it goes on forever, nice.

Enjoy! ( like that needs sayin)

Offline Orbean

• Whetstone +
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2017, 06:09:35 PM »
Great pictures
Nice matters

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2017, 08:22:01 PM »
wow that's really something' i only have a grove but it still works. i keep a three season camp out back to getaway.
sometimes to just get a nap or to do a lil'bushcrafting, cookout and so on. thanks for sharing the nice photos.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2017, 06:47:51 AM »
Thanks. I won't cut the 90 degree bent tee. It's too cool to show people. I will probably pull the tree down some with the John Deer. There is a lot of unsprung force on the trees it fell against. Just relief cutting won't do it here for sure.

I was thinking of cutting a few feet from the roots just to video it standing back up as the weight shifts. Too risky though.

Offline NewEnglandBushcraft

• Whetstone +
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2017, 02:35:35 PM »
:thumbsup: Man I love the sight of frosty Hemlocks....they are really beautiful trees :).

You are right on about the spring-back in those types of situations...we were warned in our chainsaw class about them. Apparently, a sawyer was seriously injured last year on the Mark Twain when he went to cut through a fallen tree with a large root-wad. It sprung back at him with enough force to send him flying.
"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe." ~ Abraham Lincoln
My blog, https://newenglandbushcraft.wordpress.com/

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2017, 01:35:50 PM »
Gotta love how nature takes care of it's own. This tree was 8' high and I could walk under it. It's now almost to the ground and the big branch is splitting, so it's slowly slipping out of the trees it's hung up on. I'll wait for a few more weeks and go out with the saw. I'll just throw some relief notches and wait a little longer.