Author Topic: Tell me about knives you've broken in normal use.  (Read 4883 times)

Online PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
Tell me about knives you've broken in normal use.
« on: September 15, 2016, 09:27:09 PM »
I will leave the definition of "normal use" up to you to decide.

I am curious to hear about knives that you irreparably destroyed when using them as you normally would.

The only knives I ever destroyed in what I consider to be normal use were a cheap dollar store steak knife, and a paring knife. Both had plastic handles. Both came apart when slicing hunks off big blocks of cheddar cheese. The handles crumbled, likely from too many passes through the dishwasher, and cheap plastic.

Other than that I have never had a knife fail on me.

Offline Orbean

• Whetstone +
Re: Tell me about knives you've broken in normal use.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 09:54:49 PM »
The only knife I have broken that was not abused was fixed blade I ordered from bazooka Joe's bubble gum. The cost was $5.00 and fifty gum wrappers. Not a good knife. That was forty some years ago. Since then every blade I have busted was from misuse.
Nice matters

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 05:29:01 AM »

Allot of years ago,

Not sure if opening oysters with a pocket knife qualifies as normal, but I did break the tip off my Buck 110 lock back hunter,  about a quarter inch worth,  but I was able to reshape the blade and still have the knife,  I have lost scales and broke a couple of back springs on cheap pocket knives,  I rarely abuse any tools,  I'm one of those get the right tool for the job you are doing kind of guy,  so I seldom break my tools,  especially knives.
   Had a friend who busted a Buck "special" 6" bladed hunting knife in half once about a inch from where the blade meets the handle on a hunting trip up in the Allegash in Maine,  it was one of those really freezing mornings,  we were getting settled in our canoe to cross the Munsungun stream,  my friend climbed in and took the back seat,  as he sat down his sheath was between him and the seat,  we both heard the blade when it snapped,  those are the only instances I can remember damaging knives.   
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 10:04:28 AM »
If using a blade as a pry bar is abuse then I have never had a knife fail from normal use.  As a pry bar I have broken a few tips.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 10:08:36 AM »
what 'stan said.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 10:38:03 AM »
Moe, I recall your broken knife story from this old thread....

http://bladesandbushlore.com/index.php?topic=7061.msg128269#msg128269

The only other knife I remember breaking (my own fault) was in my misspent youth when trying to auger the cork out of a wine bottle with the main blade of a Case Stockman.  The young lady I was trying to woo needed more alcohol and I wasn't packing my SAK that evening. :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Online PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 06:07:30 PM »

The only other knife I remember breaking (my own fault) was in my misspent youth when trying to auger the cork out of a wine bottle with the main blade of a Case Stockman.  The young lady I was trying to woo needed more alcohol and I wasn't packing my SAK that evening. :shrug:

In those situations, it is often easier to drive the cork all the way into the bottle than it is to pry it out. I have seen it done before and it works.

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 07:32:25 PM »
none

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 07:36:20 PM »

In those situations, it is often easier to drive the cork all the way into the bottle than it is to pry it out. I have seen it done before and it works.

Problem was that this was a bottle of champagne that had the 'knob' of the cork sheared off flush with the neck......it's nigh on to impossible to drive a cork down down into a bottle of bubbly. :doh:

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2016, 10:48:41 AM »
Broke the tip off two knives....about 1/4 " ....one a cheapo filet knife, the other a Buck Lite folder.....doing the same thing....splitting the pelvis on a white tail deer.....
Both cases I re-ground/shaped the point...and re-sharpened......
Still carry the Buck Lite folder.....(Lucky Knife)

That's it......
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2016, 06:28:31 PM »
Interesting that two of the 'fails' here involved Buck knives.  Funny you should mention that...

Buck Pathfinder (Mod 105), 1970.  Tang broke inside the handle. My fiance had a bunch of sea cucumbers laid out on a spar log on the beach, and was cutting the business ends off them. First time in the field for the knife, and the 4th one she cut, the knife broke.
The knife sat in a drawer for about 2 years, until I was tired of getting mad every time I saw it. I boxed it up with a letter, and sent in back to Buck.
In about 12 days, I received a new knife, new sheath, and a full page letter of apology.

I did break the tip off a cheap diving knife once, trying to pry a rock scallop loose. Potential abuse? I dunno....

I also broke the tip off a good Western hunting knife when I was about 12, trying to throw it like Daniel Boone on TV.   :doh:

Those are the only fails I've had.
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2016, 09:35:51 AM »
Actually in all fairness....only the Buck Lite folder had a broken point......The other was a cheapo filet knife that looked like a Chicago Cutlery knife....Did break them the same way.

I like Buck knives from the Olden Days....as well as........Western, Marbles, Case, Schrade....
BEFORE
5 pound tactual Zombie stickers, lumber processing, and all the Bushcrafty stuff.......
Mine were/are hunting knives.

I had called them on the Buck and was told to send it back for a replacement....or refund......
But it is my "Lucky Knife"......so not gonna do it.
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline Baz

• Mill File
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2016, 09:08:36 AM »
Chipped the tip of a Marttiini Skinner puukko when prying out a jammed cartridge from a rifle. I still count that as normal use i guess :shrug:
Better one day lived than two days dead

Offline Anubis1335

• Whetstone +
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2016, 02:42:49 PM »
Broke the tip off of a small neon green buck (Lite? small lockback...late 80's/early 90's got from US CAV).  I cant recall what i was doing...probably something i shouldnt have.  Also broke the handle on a hollow handled survival knife of the 80's...it had a plastic handle and i was throwing it at an old blackjack oak.  Other than those two, nada...and i typically beat on my knives..
OINK!

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2016, 04:06:37 PM »
According to my quick tally, that's SIX Buck knives, in this thread alone, that have broken for their owners. :doh:    I consider most people on this forum to be fairly knowledgeable on how much 'abuse' to dish out while not being overly concerned about breaking their knife in the field, but you've got to notice just how many of Buck's products have 'bitten the dust' unexpectedly in heavy use situations.  :shrug: :popcorn:

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2016, 04:15:38 PM »
According to my quick tally, that's SIX Buck knives, in this thread alone, that have broken for their owners. :doh:    I consider most people on this forum to be fairly knowledgeable on how much 'abuse' to dish out while not being overly concerned about breaking their knife in the field, but you've got to notice just how many of Buck's products have 'bitten the dust' unexpectedly in heavy use situations.  :shrug: :popcorn:

That could just be because Buck sells so many knives, wolfy.

I've never broken a knife in normal use.  I have broken the tips off a couple because the operator was being a DA and not using the knife properly.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2016, 04:50:56 PM »

I gonna say, that thinking may be flawed.....the reason many do get broken, is a lot are used for real tasks, not just showing off the stick wittling skills.
Also the time frame was long before the 4 pound Zombie Choppers seemingly popular today.

Then there is the warranty...
http://www.buckknives.com/about-knives/bucks-forever-warranty/

Also mine didn't "bite the dust".....broke the on a pelvic bone of a white tail....reground and re-sharpened....and is still used today.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2016, 06:17:04 PM »
My old Buck 'skinner' has never broken, either.  8)      Its blade is rounded on the end and a bit thicker and wider in cross-section than most of the knives in Buck's line, also.  Even though I have pried the hides off many a tough-skinned Nebraska whitetail, it has never failed to give yeoman's service. ;D

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2016, 07:04:15 PM »
My old Buck 'skinner' has never broken, either.  8)      Its blade is rounded on the end and a bit thicker and wider in cross-section than most of the knives in Buck's line, also.  Even though I have pried the hides off many a tough-skinned Nebraska whitetail, it has never failed to give yeoman's service. ;D
My Buck Special (Mod 119) has been a faithful workhorse for nigh on these 49 years. It's never failed to pop a pelvis, or disrobe a carcass. I've never baton'd with it, and never will. She's my baby....
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2016, 07:37:24 PM »
Fun Fact:  I got curious, so I did a bit of research for "the most popular knife ever made".....
We didn't rank these in order, but the Buck 110 Hunter would be #1 without a doubt. The Buck 110 is such an iconic knife that it essentially feels like it's been around since the beginning of time. In fact, the knife was first introduced in 1963, when it forever revolutionized the world of hunting knives (and knives in general).

Although it was designed to act as a large folding knife used for butchering and skinning game, the knife quickly gained popularity among casual knife users. The Buck 110 is surprisingly large with a blade length of 3.75 inches, but the clip point proved extremely useful. The knife also has those luscious brass bolsters and a woodgrain handle.

Part of the reason why the Buck 110 is so easily recognizable is that it's been one of the most mimicked knives ever made. In fact, the Model 110 has led to other knives with a similar design to be simply referred to as a Buck knife.

If that wasn't enough to earn it a place on the list, Buck has sold more than 15 million of these knives, making it one of the best-selling knives ever.
https://www.knife-depot.com/learn/iconic-knives/

Offline Anubis1335

• Whetstone +
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2016, 09:46:02 AM »
Fun Fact:  I got curious, so I did a bit of research for "the most popular knife ever made".....
We didn't rank these in order, but the Buck 110 Hunter would be #1 without a doubt. The Buck 110 is such an iconic knife that it essentially feels like it's been around since the beginning of time. In fact, the knife was first introduced in 1963, when it forever revolutionized the world of hunting knives (and knives in general).

Although it was designed to act as a large folding knife used for butchering and skinning game, the knife quickly gained popularity among casual knife users. The Buck 110 is surprisingly large with a blade length of 3.75 inches, but the clip point proved extremely useful. The knife also has those luscious brass bolsters and a woodgrain handle.

Part of the reason why the Buck 110 is so easily recognizable is that it's been one of the most mimicked knives ever made. In fact, the Model 110 has led to other knives with a similar design to be simply referred to as a Buck knife.

If that wasn't enough to earn it a place on the list, Buck has sold more than 15 million of these knives, making it one of the best-selling knives ever.
https://www.knife-depot.com/learn/iconic-knives/

And yet i still do not own one!  DOH!  :doh:
OINK!

Offline Punty

• Whetstone +
  • Banned forever from that other forum
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2016, 12:45:55 PM »
  I've never broken an actual blade. Had wood crack on some handle scales so they fell off, had a locking mechanism fail on a CRKT folder...but I abused that knife a lot prior to it failing...so I would say never.....but.....

...I change up knives too often to use one long enough for it to fail, I think. I am also not prone to doing anything with any decent knife that I expect might damage it or compromise it.

If the iron be blunt, and he do not whet the edge, then must he put to more strength: but wisdom is profitable to direct.
Ecclesiastes 10:10

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2017, 08:01:51 AM »
  Never miss an opportunity to revive a good thread.

As far as Buck knives go,  in my opinion Buck knives "back in the olden days" (as some young'uns like to put it) appealed to sportsmen, hunters, fishers, and campers because they looked great, were just expensive enough to make a fashion statement, and they worked reasonable well at the time.
  But,  knives were used differently for the most part back then, the tasks knife were asked to accomplish were food prep,  processing fish and game from the harvest to the table,  and of course peeling apples, cutting cheese, and spreading peanut butter.
  I think folks back then (pre 1970's) were more conscious of adhering to the 'right tool for the job' mentality,  they used screw drivers to turn screws and pry bars to open crates,  so knives like Western, Camillus, Schrade, and Remington held up better, most were made of good high carbon steel and well tempered, but they rusted if not maintained properly.
  Buck came along and changed that with their line of Stainless blades,  they were harder to sharpen,  didn't take the extra fine edge that high carbon was capable of,  but their edges lasted longer under use and they didn't rust, but they are hard and brittle, under normal use they work fine, they weren't meant to batton wood, or cut through heavy bone, used that way they chip, the edges roll, and sometimes they break in half, I never believed for one minute the suggestion that Buck's logo made of a Buck knife being pounded through a steel bolt, that was and still is a lie, another thing those knives had going for them, Buck included, was that most woodsmen carried an axe or hatchet and at times a saw of some kind that did the heavy work.
  Today, whether a hunter, camper/bushcrafter, or home handy man we ask allot more out of our knives,  hell we've even turned them into self contained tool boxes and named them multi tools, we expect them to do service as screw drivers, can openers, and wire cutters,  we use them in place of axes to batton wood, we use them as pry bars to open crates, stuck windows, and to open doors when we've forgotten our keys.
  To answer this problem makers like Cold Steel, Becker, and other companies give us knives that are 1/4" thick and are ugly to look at and uncomfortable to use, and silently make us forget that there are better tool options still available to do those jobs, and we have custom makers and a few production companies that make knives more suited to the use we expect in a good knife today, Bark River K&T, and Spiderco for example.

But, like the OP states, the question still remains,  What constitutes normal use ?
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2017, 10:30:38 AM »
  But, like the OP states, the question still remains,  What constitutes normal use ?

Probably easier to say what does not constitute normal use for me.  Splitting a deer pelvis with a knife is not normal.  Skinning knives were made for skinning.  Not cutting bones or popping joints.  Never saw the need to do that in the field and when butchering I use a bone saw.  Hell, use a hacksaw if you don't have a bone saw or a use a hatchet.  Batoning wood is not normal for me.  Never done it and never will regardless of what Ray Mears, Mors Kochanski, or any other self appointed bushcraft guru has to say about it.  That's why they make axes and hatchets.  Digging in the dirt is not normal for me.  Prying with a knife is not normal for me unless it was designed for it (oyster knives, dive knives, etc.).  Use a knife for what it was intended to be used for and assuming it's a quality product or has no manufacturing defect, it won't break.  I've never broken a knife while using it for what it was intended to be used for.That's not to say that in my youth I didn't break a few tips because I was being a DA and using a knife for what it was not intended to be used for.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 12:15:23 PM by imnukensc »

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2017, 12:07:30 PM »
I broke the tip off the big blade on a nice Case Stockman one time, but that was an instance  of 'dire emergency' when a previous lady friend & I we were miles from nowhere without a corkscrew.   My old hunting buddy broke the blade on my Buck 110. :coffee:

EDIT: Woops!  I see I already told that story earlier on in the thread. :-[

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2017, 01:20:51 PM »
Broke a Leatherman Super Tool knife blade using it to pry up some fence staples when I forgot my fencing pliers.  Just to compound that I then used the file and broke that as well.   :-[
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2017, 02:52:14 PM »

Probably easier to say what does not constitute normal use for me.  Splitting a deer pelvis with a knife is not normal.  Skinning knives were made for skinning.  Not cutting bones or popping joints.  Never saw the need to do that in the field and when butchering I use a bone saw.  Hell, use a hacksaw if you don't have a bone saw or a use a hatchet.  Batoning wood is not normal for me.  Never done it and never will regardless of what Ray Mears, Mors Kochanski, or any other self appointed bushcraft guru has to say about it.  That's why they make axes and hatchets.  Digging in the dirt is not normal for me.  Prying with a knife is not normal for me unless it was designed for it (oyster knives, dive knives, etc.).  Use a knife for what it was intended to be used for and assuming it's a quality product or has no manufacturing defect, it won't break.  I've never broken a knife while using it for what it was intended to be used for.That's not to say that in my youth I didn't break a few tips because I was being a DA and using a knife for what it was not intended to be used for.
Preach on, Brother!  The only blade meant to be batoned is a froe, that that doesn't pretend to be a knife.  I have some BAKs that I can use like a hatchet, but with 1/4" spine, they can take it.

Broke a Leatherman Super Tool knife blade using it to pry up some fence staples when I forgot my fencing pliers.  Just to compound that I then used the file and broke that as well.   :-[
LOL! Am I missing something here? Doesn't the Leatherman come with a built-in pair of pliers?  I've had to pull some fence staples, too, and I used the heaviest screwdriver blade to raise the staple enough to pry it the rest of the way with the pliers.

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2017, 03:00:55 PM »
I broke a Mudd Sherrigan rigging knife back in '00 or '01 using it as a screw driver to unscrew a scupper cover onboard ship one day.
Mudd differentially hardened the blades so that the edge was hard and spine was soft to allow using a mallet when cutting rope. I broke about  1/8" off the tip.
Peeved? You bet. My fault? Absolutely! Anyway, a buddy of mine did a nice cold grind job to reestablish the squarish end.

More recently, back in Nov, I was batoning kidling with a 6" Old Hickory butcher knife that I'd cut and reprofiled into a nifty 4 1/2" bushcrafter. I'd rounded the handle into a comfortable oval crosss section and scalloped the forward inch of both slabs. I was battoning through what I think was old dry spruce. I saw the knot about half way down the stick and didn't think much of it until I heard "ting!" and realised I knocked out a half moon from the edge just over an inch long and about a 1/4" deep.
Damn I was disappointed in myself and in the knife and was pretty much in awe of a 1/2" spruce knot. 
"Learning is an interruption of the failure process"
- Me, 2014

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2017, 03:38:54 PM »

LOL! Am I missing something here? Doesn't the Leatherman come with a built-in pair of pliers?  I've had to pull some fence staples, too, and I used the heaviest screwdriver blade to raise the staple enough to pry it the rest of the way with the pliers.

Well I had already broken one of the pliers jaws trying to pry up staples the week before so it was somewhat crippled by then.   :-[
(Mark Twain)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2017, 05:09:23 PM »

Well I had already broken one of the pliers jaws trying to pry up staples the week before so it was somewhat crippled by then.   :-[
Have you sent it back to Leatherman, and asked them if they'll replace the defective piece of junk?  :lol: :taunt:

Ya know, Northern Tool has fenceman's pliers for about $12.00.   ;D

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2017, 08:16:12 PM »
Oh I sent it back and got a new one in the mail.  Even told them what happened and that I would pay for putting a new pliers, knife, and file on it.  They just sent a new one.

I have a half dozen pair of fencing pliers stuck in the truck and the four wheeler.  Even got a pair in the car with some staples in case I see a wire loose on the county road.  Just couldn't find them back then.  As I had taken off my tool tote to haul stuff. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2017, 08:25:22 PM »
Oh I sent it back and got a new one in the mail.  Even told them what happened and that I would pay for putting a new pliers, knife, and file on it.  They just sent a new one.

I have a half dozen pair of fencing pliers stuck in the truck and the four wheeler.  Even got a pair in the car with some staples in case I see a wire loose on the county road.  Just couldn't find them back then.  As I had taken off my tool tote to haul stuff.
Besides the role for which they were intended, fencing pliers are my go-to tool for pulling carpet pad staples.  Second only to nail nippers.

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2017, 08:25:38 PM »
I've broken two throwers throwing them, I figure that's normal use. The paper I got with them suggest that they not be thrown for risk of damage. What's normal. I have a set of thowers I look forward to tossing come spring time. Kershaw doesn't endorse throwing their throwing knives either.  :shrug:  All the others I've torn up has been my fault.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2017, 08:12:30 AM »
I broke the tip off the big blade on a nice Case Stockman one time, but that was an instance  of 'dire emergency' when a previous lady friend & I we were miles from nowhere without a corkscrew.   My old hunting buddy broke the blade on my Buck 110. :coffee:

Then that story has to be true.....
Besides old guy tell the same stories over again form time to time......
That's why it's good to get a new audience ....so you can start over....
Bhohahahaha

Offline Pete Bog

• Mill File
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2017, 03:29:58 PM »
   I used to buy the 330T Old Timer by Shrade. Great knife for my use but I kept losing them. one or two a year. And my pocket would get frayed and I'd throw the jeans out because the knife is in and out of my pocket up to a hundred times a day. No exaggeration.
   Then I found a cheap made in China knife for $1.49. I attach a bright orange lanyard to it (don't lose it as often), break off the plastic thumb stud and reshape the hump back spine so the blade will hook on the back corner of my pocket when I pull it out and open the blade (less wear and tear on the pocket).
   I grind off the serrations and make it into a straight edge that can be sharpened with a stone and steel. The blade lock release is about half way back on the handle so this is a true one handed operation. Open or closed in less than a second.
   But the cheap plastic handle will only last a year at best before it breaks. But for a $1.49 and 15 minutes to reconfigure the blade, is this really a "knife"?  Probably not. But it works for me and I don't mind losing it when its left under a carpet or some other dark obscure location.
   There are quick opening knives that I could buy but they all run over 20.00. I hate losing a perfectly good knife that costs perfectly good money. :)

Pete Bog

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2017, 03:51:50 PM »

Bhohahahaha

I heard a rumor that Wolfy can hide his own Easter Eggs now.....  :taunt:

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2017, 04:22:48 PM »

Bhohahahaha

I heard a rumor that Wolfy can hide his own Easter Eggs now.....  :taunt:
I'm beginning to believe that myself......I can't find my oldest Green River knife, my solid sterling silver Jefferson peace medal, the cable for downloading pictures from my camera, a book that I know I own, but had to reorder just because I can't find it......not to mention my 'stuff' that Heather hides when people are coming to visit and I NEVER see again! >:(

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2017, 04:51:17 PM »
i hear theres a lot of that going on these days.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2017, 09:23:02 PM »
My wife hides my stuff that I don't immediately put back in its "proper" place, then tells me, "It's not my fault you don't remember where you dropped it."

Well, that's the point!  I DO remember where I set it down, but it ain't there now!"  Grrrrrr.......

Offline Boris74

• Whetstone
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2017, 10:15:43 AM »
If a knife breaks under normal use then it was defective or was poorly manufactured. I've experienced both. Defective has always been replaced by the manufacturer and poor designs are trashed and stored in the don't buy that brand again file.

For those who are talking about who uses a knife to split wood don't need to, and that proper tool for them tasks is an axe. Ok, I've been hunting a long time and I've never seen a hunter carrying an axe. I have been on hunts where an ankle got twisted (not mine) so bad it could have turned for much worse if it weren't for level heads and a full bag of tricks to settle down and make a plan. A survival fire don't require big fire sized logs so forget an axe being required to split wet exterior wood that's only 2" max diameter that wont even stand on end so an axe could safely be swung.

Make the person hurting comfortable and craft a sled to pull them out on. Takes longer than you'd like but they stay warm from fire as you stay warm making a sled. Or just leave them there and go home to get an axe. If they haven't frozen to death or been killed by other predators, at least you fetched the proper tool. Sounds brilliant on the Internet, not too bright in the face of a real life do or die scenario.

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2017, 10:22:28 AM »
You've just described an abnormal situation requiring the use of the tools at your disposal.  I would've done the same thing.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 11:14:45 AM by imnukensc »

Offline Boris74

• Whetstone
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2017, 12:07:21 PM »
You've just described an abnormal situation requiring the use of the tools at your disposal.  I would've done the same thing.

Yup, and if it can work for that, then it will work for an over night or several night hike as well. You don't need an axe, splitting wedge and 12# sledge to make a warming, cooking, or survival fire. Makes me wonder what kind of fires people are making when they hit the woods. A bon fire?

You can go on a hike regularly axeless and make fires, shelters dinner, camp chairs, fish spears. You name it. The actual issue is people who have no clue how to use a knife watch a YouTube video (made in someone's backyard) and go full hulk smash on a blade. Expect problems no matter what you have. I've seen people shatter axe handles polymer and wood in short order because they had no clue other than swinging it on how to use one.

I don't see this right tool solution when there isn't an actual problem. Just ignorant unskilled users with no clue how to use a tool to get what they want after using the tool.

Offline SIXFOOTER

• Whetstone +
  • Wandering Smartass
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2017, 12:45:54 PM »
I have broken 3, none really in normal use. I broke the top on a Microtech auto trying to pick the lock on a fire door on the roof of a building I was working on after the hurricane. The door was damaged and closed behind me stranding me on the roof.
Broke the tip on a Buck 110 using it as a screwdriver on a motorcycle
Had an Chicago Cutlery steak knife break right at the handle, it had an old crack and I dropped it on the floor and it broke in 2 pieces.
Maker of all things Archaic, Hoarder of Gear and Fluent speaker of BS
Sixfooter got bit by a snake like that once, then after 4 agonizing days... The snake finally died....

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2017, 04:42:34 PM »

For those who are talking about who uses a knife to split wood don't need to, and that proper tool for them tasks is an axe. Ok, I've been hunting a long time and I've never seen a hunter carrying an axe. I have been on hunts where an ankle got twisted (not mine) so bad it could have turned for much worse if it weren't for level heads and a full bag of tricks to settle down and make a plan. A survival fire don't require big fire sized logs so forget an axe being required to split wet exterior wood that's only 2" max diameter that wont even stand on end so an axe could safely be swung.
That's why I carry a machete.

Offline NewEnglandBushcraft

• Whetstone +
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2017, 08:03:03 PM »

Yup, and if it can work for that, then it will work for an over night or several night hike as well. You don't need an axe, splitting wedge and 12# sledge to make a warming, cooking, or survival fire. Makes me wonder what kind of fires people are making when they hit the woods. A bon fire?

You can go on a hike regularly axeless and make fires, shelters dinner, camp chairs, fish spears. You name it. The actual issue is people who have no clue how to use a knife watch a YouTube video (made in someone's backyard) and go full hulk smash on a blade. Expect problems no matter what you have. I've seen people shatter axe handles polymer and wood in short order because they had no clue other than swinging it on how to use one.

I don't see this right tool solution when there isn't an actual problem. Just ignorant unskilled users with no clue how to use a tool to get what they want after using the tool.
:thumbsup: Couldn't have said it better, Boris.
"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe." ~ Abraham Lincoln
My blog, https://newenglandbushcraft.wordpress.com/

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2017, 08:26:36 PM »

:rolleyes:  Well, fellers... Having been on this Forum since it first began, I feel pretty confident saying that the majority of those here who have admitted to breaking a blade are far from "ignorant unskilled users". 
Or maybe I misunderstood the gist of that post. :shrug:

Offline Boris74

• Whetstone
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2017, 09:47:57 PM »

:rolleyes:  Well, fellers... Having been on this Forum since it first began, I feel pretty confident saying that the majority of those here who have admitted to breaking a blade are far from "ignorant unskilled users". 
Or maybe I misunderstood the gist of that post. :shrug:

Having been splitting wood with knives before the Internet and it's inventing batoning, I'd have to stand with what I said earlier. Ya got a dud of a blade (happens with every manufacturer) or a poorly constructed and or designed one. Splitting wood with a knife is far from abusive and well within the physics of steel is tougher and more durable than wood. Combined with proper use you won't break a properly constructed and heat treated blade of good steel. I made that observation well before we had the Internet to decide for us that a person who don't know how to use a knife is not justification to tell everyone they can't do it. Or are doing it wrong.

I've broken blades too. I'm just smart enough to know that a broken knife under normal use, and yes splitting wood with a knife is normal, means they had no clue how to use it, or got a bad one or a combo of both.

Am I supposed to say using an axe for splitting bon fire sized logs is stupid and pointless because I've seen people break axes? Why not use a motorized splitter. Seems more right toolish to me to say that. Now I have to drag a log splitter and gas into the woods to split 2" max diameter branches? Right tool right?

You ever seen an original froe? They are thinner than most of today's knives.

Only place I see anyone carry an axe on a hike or overnight is on the Internet. In the woods, on the trail, never see it. Because the people in the woods and on trails know they don't need an axe to split 2" branches. Them people aren't constructing homesteads or bonfires, where an axe is a proper tool. I leave my axe at the chopping block out back where it belongs when I'm on the trails.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2017, 11:17:24 PM »

Having been splitting wood with knives before the Internet and it's inventing batoning, I'd have to stand with what I said earlier. Ya got a dud of a blade (happens with every manufacturer) or a poorly constructed and or designed one. Splitting wood with a knife is far from abusive and well within the physics of steel is tougher and more durable than wood. Combined with proper use you won't break a properly constructed and heat treated blade of good steel. I made that observation well before we had the Internet to decide for us that a person who don't know how to use a knife is not justification to tell everyone they can't do it. Or are doing it wrong.

I've broken blades too. I'm just smart enough to know that a broken knife under normal use, and yes splitting wood with a knife is normal, means they had no clue how to use it, or got a bad one or a combo of both.

Am I supposed to say using an axe for splitting bon fire sized logs is stupid and pointless because I've seen people break axes? Why not use a motorized splitter. Seems more right toolish to me to say that. Now I have to drag a log splitter and gas into the woods to split 2" max diameter branches? Right tool right?

You ever seen an original froe? They are thinner than most of today's knives.

Only place I see anyone carry an axe on a hike or overnight is on the Internet. In the woods, on the trail, never see it. Because the people in the woods and on trails know they don't need an axe to split 2" branches. Them people aren't constructing homesteads or bonfires, where an axe is a proper tool. I leave my axe at the chopping block out back where it belongs when I'm on the trails.
Point's not worth arguing, sarcasm aside.
FWIW, the only place I carry an ax is in my truck. I've packed a 'cruiser' sized ax into the woods when I was planing on staying a week (or in one case, 6 months), but I prefer to carry a heavy knife.  I still don't/won't baton with it.  My Bowie is heavy enough to split 2" kindling with no assistance from a club.  I'm also one of the strange people who prefer a machete over a hatchet, or even a light ax.  I believe it gives me more control, and versatility.

I do question the assertion that vintage froes were thin.  The oldest ones I've seen and used were at least 1/4" thick, and more often 3/8".  Hand-forged ones can be even thicker. One I used was formed from the leaf spring of a Model A.  They were originally designed for slabbing off roof shingles, and the old timers didn't have time to whail on a flimsy piece of metal while trying to process a couple hundred shingles.

Offline buzzacott

• Whetstone +
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2017, 04:43:49 AM »
Issue Cammilus jet pilot knife circa 2011. Bent the rat-tail tang inside the stacked leather handle. Kept it though since I liked the sheath. The knife is still here somewhere sitting in the parts box.
Don't kill unless for the pot. Don't fell a green tree for a pole if there are dry poles nearby. Study the bush, learn to read its secrets; watch the mason fly building and go to the ant for another lesson... then you'll realise the bush is your friend.
Richard Graves - 1944