Author Topic: heart healthy eating...  (Read 2925 times)

Online xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
heart healthy eating...
« on: January 28, 2017, 03:41:28 PM »
I got a free blood test at work. The results were very high bad cholesterol levels, LDL.

I quit pepsi completely. That was my worse habit. We substitute olive oil for butter in most recipes. using malt and cider vinegar in place of salt. Eating tons of fruit and vegetables. I bought a Breville juicer. Very expensive but so easy to clean. I picked up some PB2 peanut butter powder and some whey protein powder.

I have a few recipes. Looking for opinions and suggestions.

My new favorite drink is a great value powder. No artificial sweeteners, colors, or flavors. It has pure cane sugar and stevia leaf extract.

Honey is also a substitute for a lot of things. We buy ours raw from a beekeeper right down the road.

Yogert can also be used to sub in a lot of recipes.

Lots of garlic and onion powder. cayenne pepper.

My wife uses a lot of nutritional yeast.  It's a great salt sub for popcorn.

We try hard to not eat anything with an ingredient label.

http://greatist.com/health/83-healthy-recipe-substitutions
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
Re: heart healthy eating...
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 04:13:29 PM »
I wish I knew more about it to help. There appears to be a lot of confusing information. My BP and cholesterols are like text book. My tendency is to believe those sources that promote non-commercialized practices to raise and produce food. I love salt, meat and butter. That would be a menu. Vegetables, yeah I like those too when they have butter and salt. I use Celtic sea salt and pink Himalayan, and Kelly gold butter. Also pasture raised and grass fed meats have much better numbers in the omega 3s and other beneficial content.

How's your weight?

Offline NewEnglandBushcraft

• Whetstone +
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 04:34:46 PM »
Oatmeal is a fantastic addition that has low GI carbohydrates, with some protein and fiber. The underrated black tea has been shown in several studies to significantly lower triglyceride levels. Eggs are also great, and count as "superfoods". For years they had a bad rep because, yes, they do contain cholesterol, but the good kind, HDL. Remember the "heart healthy" egg white omelettes and the like? LOL And this ideology was promoted around the same time that margarine was considered "healthy"! Anyway, I would also include coffee, unless you also have high blood pressure issues. Coffee, especially the fresh-roasted stuff, is loaded with antioxidants that rivals green tea.

For healthy fats, it's hard to beat walnuts, pecans, coconut oil, olive oil, trout, salmon, and avocados. Don't buy into the idea that saturated fat is "bad" for you...that claim has been proven false. But like all things, consume in moderation ;).

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe." ~ Abraham Lincoln
My blog, https://newenglandbushcraft.wordpress.com/

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 04:43:27 PM »
I heard walnuts lower testosterone(?) I've got back into sugar on a regular basis. I ought to cut it out. Tea water and coffee- not necessarily in that order is all I drink except for that other stuff and I gave that up too for awhile anyway. Good luck XJ

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 04:43:47 PM »
If you are predisposed to high cholesterol it lies with three things.  First is your genetic makeup.  Second is your diet.  Third is your level of physical fitness. 

Mine was 228 when I had a heart attack.  Today it runs about 150 and all the related numbers are well within medical guidelines.  I got these results chemically with statins, beta blockers, and a couple otc medications, niacin (as nicotonic acid) being one of them.  A workout program and diet helped it along.   

Your diet changes are probably all positive so perhaps adding a physical workout regimen to your schedule would be good. 

When you implement diet changes it requires a lot of discipline to not fall off of the wagon.  Same with working out regularily.  Lifestyle changes are in order.  Older you get the harder it is, at least for me. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Orbean

• Whetstone +
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 05:21:02 PM »
We eat very little fatty meat, actually not much meat at all, mainly for flavoring. Dinner always has raw vegi; grain side dish, and at least one vegi side in addition to the raw vegi. We still cook with butter, but cut it with olive oil. No more mayonnaise based salad dressing, a favorite is raspberry vinegrette. Peaches with balsamic vinegar makes a satisfying dessert. Xj35 wife's idea using yeast with popcorn is a great idea. We are an athletic household, everyone here is in good shape, was told once parents that stay active raise athletes and seems to be the case here, but the kiddos are not allowed to play football or head a soccer ball, we are worried about brain injuries. Eating heathy does not mean eating bland.
Nice matters

Online xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 06:13:11 PM »
I really appreciate all the input. I can't wait until April. I'll be out all the time. canoeing and biking.

I am taking a red yeast rice and a COQ10 each day too.

Yes it is in my gene's mom had a quad bypass and dad's father died at age 50 of a heart attack

5 years ago I was in the hospital due to an allergic reaction to something. The doctor was adamant about me needing a doctor. Of course I feel fine so...

Yes i need to work on this I'm 48. Here's my numbers...

pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 06:52:04 PM »
How is your weight? I try to maintain a 2500 calorie diet but am not too picky about what I eat. I do not eat fast foods and not too much fried. I'm very active and exercise my heart rate everyday. So far so good.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline NewEnglandBushcraft

• Whetstone +
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 07:32:57 PM »
3 cups of black tea a day for 'ya ;). Give it 2-3 months and watch those triglycerides decrease...go full English  >:D
"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe." ~ Abraham Lincoln
My blog, https://newenglandbushcraft.wordpress.com/

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2017, 07:47:59 PM »
Plenty of wrong dietary ideas from the past like NEB mentioned above  :shrug: hard to trust them Docs sometimes. Studies have shown old folks with the highest levels of cholesterol have the best brain function.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2017, 09:46:18 PM »
I'm not sure what the actual "key" is, other than possibly genetics.  My mother lived to 85, as did her mother. My grandfather, mother's side, blew out the candles on his 100th birthday, and said he was done. Passed away 3 weeks later.  My grandfather on my dad's side, lived to age 94. Several other ancestors lived into their 90's. 

As for diet, we try to consume as few "nutritional additives and preservatives" as we can.  We don't shop "organic", because the guidelines for labeling are too vague.  We DO try to shop for stuff we can track from birth (or sprouting) to death.  We buy beef and pork from local processors and know the history of the animals.  We raise most of our own produce, eggs, chickens and rabbits.

That said, my favorite meat is grilled pork with lots of crispy fat on it.  I slather my rice with margarine ("I Can't Believe It's Not Butter").  I'm also a sodium addict! I salt everything...twice. ..including my wife's unsalted butter she insists on buying.  (BTW, IMO unsalted butter is like unsalted potato chips...what's the point in eating it?  It's churned milk with yellow food dye!)  I would guess my monthly intake of sea salt is enough to pickle a barrel of herring.

Anyway, the one thing I credit with my low blood pressure is garlic.  We eat a LOT of garlic, including roasting cloves in olive oil and eating them like Corn Nuts.  My son is a culinary supervisor and head cook directly under the Chef. He has been into nutrition and weight training for a few years now, and tells me that the best thing I could be doing to maintain muscle mass and strength is to supplement my diet with whey powder. More protein ounce-for-ounce than any other source according to him.

Bottom line, I'm 71 yoa, my BP is consistent at 123/76, resting heart rate of 60, oxygen levels at 98 (despite a pack-a-day smoking habit).  I'm on no type of synthetic drugs, other than some carefully chosen vitamin supplements with chelated minerals. I pretty much eat what I want, when I want it. Chocolate is my favorite vegetable.
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Online xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2017, 10:54:53 PM »
How is your weight? I try to maintain a 2500 calorie diet but am not too picky about what I eat. I do not eat fast foods and not too much fried. I'm very active and exercise my heart rate everyday. So far so good.

Creek

5'11" 194 lbs.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2017, 11:53:27 PM »
Probably not the right time, or place, but my favorite story about health and longevity comes to mind. I'll keep it short:

A reporter goes to interview a centenarian at his apartment.
"To what do you credit your longevity, sir," asks the reporter.
"Clean livin', son," he answers, "I've never used tobacco, and never had a drink in my life. Married to the same woman for 65 years, bless her soul."
"Excuse me, but I'm having a hard time hearing you over the racket coming from next door. What in the world is going on over there?"
"Oh, that's my ol' man. He's just having another one of his drunken parties with those wild women from downstairs."
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Online xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2017, 07:47:21 AM »
I've lived my life like I was going to die tomorrow. Few friends. no long term commitments. blah, blah, Actually surprise, I asked a woman to marry me. I did good it's been 23 years this coming august.

I also don't care if I do. Been working full time since I was 14. I could use the rest!! I'm just not going to lie down and give up though. A little diet change and exercise( which I enjoy) and Whatever happens, happens.

I have a kindle book on bicycle training. I have to figure out the time to ride and sleep. working nights sucks. I am 18 miles from work. A few years ago I could have done it easy. Now I'll have to work up to it. I would love to ride to work every day it's nice out. It's an hour of down time, for the mind anyway.

My summer goal is to canoe/hike/camp every Friday pm thru Sunday am. Unless life gets in the way, And it will need to be important at that. Big dreams I know...

My sister is dying of cancer. Once she is gone I'll have nothing in NY. I'll have the freedom to relocate to a nicer state and possibly still drive for GC FOODS. We ship Maine to Florida and Chicago to Texas.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2017, 07:55:30 AM »
xj35s.  Sorry about your sister.

It may not be what you're looking for but FL has a great group for camping in the Kracaneuner Tribe.  One camp with us and you're in.   Lotsa local knowledge.

Just sayin'.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Online xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2017, 08:55:32 AM »
yeah, I love the stuff you do. Most active folks on here.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2017, 09:06:33 AM »
 It's been said that one of the greatest pleasures in life is food,  science (shrinks) tells us that the reason is that food is about the only thing in our lives that we can control.
 I have a daughter and a sister in law who have been life long dietary health nuts,  every time a report or medical paper comes out with advice for or against any food product they adopt it until the next one comes out,  they don't use sugar, salt, butter, eat much red meat,  stay away from Dairy products, they have juicers and make god awful looking drink concoctions that look more like puke than food, and probably taste just as bad.
 They pay through the nose shopping for homeopathic medications such as liquid silver and other healing substances,  they're always trying different grains, seeds, and berry extracts,  all in the name of getting and staying healthy,  both are always suffering from one ailment or another, everything from Fibramialga to high cholesterol to skin problems.
 On the other hand, I'm 74 years old and have never been in a hospital overnight in my life, I've smoked since I was fifteen years old,  pretty much eat everything that's supposed to be bad for you, and I've abused my body much more than I should have but it was all either work or too much fun to stop.
 Do I have medical issues, yup, I'm type 2,  been under control for about eight years with a few pills a day, I've had PAD for twenty years, not bad enough for meds,  and I have arthritis in my knees and hands,  none of it caused by diet, most caused by genetics so my doctors tell me.

In my opinion (I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV) eating healthy means eating the freshest foods that you can get,  cooking them in your own kitchen, and eating in moderation,  and that includes all the foods that medical experts tell you are bad for you,  salt, sugar, marbled red meats, dairy, mashed potatoes, white bread, eggs, chocolate, and yes, even Spam and Bacon,  as long as you eat those things in moderation and are not genetically pre disposed to specific illnesses you'll be ok,  so I'm told.    (grin)
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2017, 09:49:45 AM »

In my opinion (I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV) eating healthy means eating the freshest foods that you can get,  cooking them in your own kitchen, and eating in moderation,  and that includes all the foods that medical experts tell you are bad for you,  salt, sugar, marbled red meats, dairy, mashed potatoes, white bread, eggs, chocolate, and yes, even Spam and Bacon,  as long as you eat those things in moderation and are not genetically pre disposed to specific illnesses you'll be ok,  so I'm told.    (grin)

I agree with this 100%
Axes Rock!

Online xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2017, 10:09:46 AM »
Sounds like my Brother. Afraid of death.

I haven't had a primary care doc since I was 18. I have had a lot of surgeries, they're doctors right? I've never smoked a day. When I had the allergy issue they found a "lump" in my upper right lung. They wanted to do a biopsy. I said no. After 18 years of farming I'm sure it's scar tissue from inhaling hay chaff while mowing 30,000 bales a day for each cutting.

Not sure I can trust them. They make commission off everything.

I too have arthritis pretty bad. mostly from having wet cold hands feeding calves in the winter time for so long. The doc shaved a bunch of it off my knee during an ACL replacement.

I really appreciate hearing from you older guy's. Online we are all our own age. like a small dog thinking it's the size of the dog it's looking at.

I may be going through a mid life crisis or subconsciously knew I had an issue. I've been craving a simpler life. like a camper, and traveling. Don't have the money or sourcing for that. I'm very happy with my Canoe, and mountain bike. The best part is my wife supports it even though she doesn't want to go with me.

So back to the original post, I will see what my numbers look like in a month. I was once in Navy Seal condition. Doc said so and a nurse was very aggressive insisting I was a professional athlete and so angry I wouldn't admit who. I think Trucking shut me down sort of. I gained weight became more lazy. It's like marathon runners who retire then die of a heart attack. I just have to get back to where I was.

My biggest change is the amount of fruit I'm eating. Fresh from Wegmans Grocery store. Also increased the amount of vegetables. I've always been pretty varied on meat. fish, pork,chicken,NY strip, and turkey even the ground up stuff.(ewww)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2017, 10:24:15 AM »

I agree with this 100%
The best exercise for controlling weight, and gastrointestinal disease are "pushaways".  Push yourself away from the dinner table before that 2nd helping. Eat slowly, and on purpose. The stomach tells the brain it's had enough in about 15 minutes, regardless of how much you stuffed into it.  If you consume enough food for 2 people in under 15 minutes, you'll end up being the size of two people.  :-\

I've never bought into the whole calorie counting ritual.  Calories are a measurement of energy. If you are taking in more calories than you are burning, the body stores the surplus in the form of fat.  That's the main reason for the "daily exercise" advice you hear everywhere.  2500-3000 calories intake per day for an adult male might be fine if you're digging ditches, but if your day is spent sitting at a desk, riding a bus/train, or kicked back reading a good book, you calorie intake should reflect your life style.  My 2-cents, anyway.

As for Moe and my experiences with not following every trend and medical report regarding diet, I have another belief system that I think has a lot to do with health vs disease.  Dis-Ease...  Attitude and self-image plays a bigger role than most realize. I have to quote Adam Savage here:  "I reject your reality, and substitute my own."

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2017, 02:51:36 PM »
Interesting thread huh? Those who claim the fewest problems have no special dietary requirements. Could be just a luck of the draw thing, activity levels, attitude. Perhaps being older, a good number of those eating years were prior to many of the changes made to our food supply. Harmful stuff has to be subtle.

I buy eggs for small farmers primarily because I don't like the conditions that exist in large factory production. Same for meat products. I'm not 100% consistent at it. Usually from poor planning or other things that need doing.

At one time I did believe in the calorie counting thing. Not now though. Let's say it was possible to get all your nutrition from vitamins and powders and calories to power your bod from corn syrup. I think you'd probably get fat, feel like crap, and have many health issues. I don't want to try it.

XJ since you were recently in superior physical condition, I bet it will be relatively easy to get back to it, especially compared to someone at your age that never was. Whatever your age is.

Offline wannabe

• Whetstone +
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2017, 07:27:42 PM »
I work 6 feet from a dietician every day. I hear some amazing things around the corner from overweight and obese people all day long. Without going into 10 pages of everything wrong with what I've read so far in this thread I will point out 1 simple thing from the OPs post that is insanely misunderstood - JUICERS.

Fruit is a huge source of sugar, sugar is bad. Would you eat 10 oranges in 1 sitting? Why drink the sugar equivalent without any of the beneficial fibre? Zero to one fruit per day is recommended. If you must, try sticking to berries. But it's best to cut them out in favour of more vegetables and in greater variety as well. Sugar is truly the root of most dietary/health woes.

The only drink the human body needs or WANTS is water. Everything else provides little to no benefit or is detrimental to one's health. I myself don't actually follow this to the letter but I do not doubt the science. Science is where it's at.

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2017, 07:36:53 PM »
Excellent post wannabe.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2017, 08:49:38 PM »
I think that is largely true wannabe. At least the sugar part.

One problem is the science keeps changing. More often than not, it seems to be largely in-line with development of food products. Cutting out butter and lard and use oil and margarine instead, for instance, that didn't turn out so well. It must have been some process that needed yolks, with a bunch of egg white left over that drove the need to create a market for egg whites- I don't care enough to prove that; it makes sense to me.

I like to find old clips or film documentaries online that show a lot of "homestead" activities: digging, scything, chopping wood, or just making things. Not only did those folks have energy to do that stuff, the body is often cut like a Greek statue, an ideal of the human form. Lots of lard, meat and enough veg to keep it coming out, or maybe it was lots of veg, lard and enough meat to make it come out neat. Seasonal variations at the table makes variation  in the latrine. :-X

Then someone wants to argue the life expectancy was so low, way back when
   That's just statistics. Data which includes war, atrocities by communists ;) and high infant mortality, all of which lowers the mean

Maybe you could give us just a few pages of what's wrong with this threads info, highlights? Cause I don't know. I feel fairly confident in what I've said.

I doubt dieticians can put obese to pulling a plow, or be un- politically correct in their suggestions; however, I have seen there is some change in the basic idea of body weight as a calorie ledger of credits and debits. Fat, protein and cholesterol builds a brain, a dormant thing in our present population.

I'm totally back- slid on what I promote as an ideal, times are changing, and I will get back to it

Online xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2017, 07:55:54 AM »
I do understand what you're saying wannabe. A juicer isn't about 10 oranges being drunk at once. It's a mixture of goods.

For example, 2 apples, one carrot, celery, and a little ginger or cinnamon. It's not that hard to rinse the machine after mixing a small drink like that. There are ton of online recipes that mix vegetables with fruit and herbs/spices.

My cholesterol may be high but my blood pressure is low. I'm maybe 40 lbs heavier than I should be but 194 at 5'11 isn't too bad is it ?

Cheaper than dirt or sportsman's guide had a berkey style counter top water filter. I want to get something that will filter very well. We buy Poland Spring water and it's pricey.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2017, 09:53:10 AM »
My cholesterol may be high but my blood pressure is low. I'm maybe 40 lbs heavier than I should be but 194 at 5'11 isn't too bad is it ?

No it isn't.  I am 5'10" and weigh 210.  You're svelte compared to me.  :rofl: :rofl:
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2017, 10:09:50 AM »
Cheaper than dirt or sportsman's guide had a berkey style counter top water filter. I want to get something that will filter very well. We buy Poland Spring water and it's pricey.

Why do you need to filter your water or buy bottled water?
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2017, 10:19:41 AM »

Why do you need to filter your water or buy bottled water?

Maybe because Erin Brockovich hasn't taken up his case yet. :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Online xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2017, 01:20:47 PM »
Our water test came back with some contaminants. safe levels but My wife will not drink it. I have a lot with no adverse effects. I don't notice any taste either.

Our well is 175' deep drilled and through a lot of sand. Contaminants can flow easily through sand and no telling what the neighbors could be dumping. This was a 15 acre corn field when I bought it, so pesticides and herbicides could be seeping in?

I don't know really!! Peace of mind I guess.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2017, 02:09:03 PM »
I have the water filter  model that Alex Jones sales. Oh, now the name popped in my head. Pro pur maybe.. It was a little bit cheaper than Berkey. I also have the smallest Berkey.

They seem to work quite well. Ive had em for many years, and only swapped out the original filters because the flow slowed to a crawl. Might be able to scrub the surface to get them going again, instead I got a couple of the newest model.

If you could come up with a couple of containers that could be rigged to stack, and would be nice to have a lid for the top....a couple buckets is all I can think of but surely there are some other things that would work. Has to be a material you can drill holes in too.

Doing that you could cut the cost in half or more. They sure do charge a lot for the containers, and really the filters too, but they are long lived.

This is more of a guess- if you need more than 2 gal a day you might need more than 2 filters in your container. The more you have the faster you can filter

Online xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2017, 03:25:54 PM »
Now that you mention that I remember a ceramic filter that bolts through the bottom of one pail and lid of the the other. I thnk it was only $35.

Thanks for that idea.

Right now we have a Pur thread on filter on the kitchen faucet. To filter th wate you flip a switch. that way you aren't filtering the water used for cooking/cleaning. the filters are like $14 each though.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2017, 03:54:10 PM »
any of the Berkey or Propur filters would work in the same way. Add a spigot and you're good to go. or pour it into another container which might be better since one  filter would be pretty slow. If you got a head start and kept it dripping one would be good enough.  I just refilled mine and will try to keep track of how long it takes

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2017, 09:14:14 PM »
We have an under-the-counter filter in the kitchen that is adequate for the cruddy water our Town pumps to the house.

But for other uses, I chose the Sawyer.  I picked the Zero Point One system because of the cost and the fact that most of our natural sources of water that would be available should the Town pumps run dry doesn't require over-zealous filtering.  The Point One is still considered a "sanitizer" rather than just a filter.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Sawyer-reg-Point-One-Emergency-Water-Filtration-Kit/1209249.uts?productVariantId=2819285&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03092132&rid=20&gclid=CNzvhvbShNICFZS6wAodum8MLA&gclsrc=aw.ds

If you are really paranoid (with or without cause), then I'd suggest the Sawyer Point Zero Two filter.  Filters down to .02 microns, so the next step would be distilled water.

https://www.rei.com/product/781792/sawyer-point-zero-two-water-purifier-with-bucket-adapter

Both systems use fittings in a 5 gal plastic bucket, like someone just suggested.
My 2-c, anyway.....

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2017, 09:57:50 PM »
Do those remove pesticides and other chemicals that could sneak into well water?

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2017, 07:36:07 AM »

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2017, 08:13:34 AM »
Do those remove pesticides and other chemicals that could sneak into well water?
The lab tests on the .02 filter claim 99.9% effectiveness on a whole list of such contaminants.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2017, 08:28:20 AM »
No, they don't.  https://sawyer.com/sawyer-u/faqs/water-filtration/

I guess my previous response was too general, and I stand corrected on the "other chemicals" part. As the FAQ points out, even systems with charcoal filtration only offer partial protection because of the amount of charcoal, and the time the water spends in it (dwell time).  The actual lab tests, by compound, for the Sawyer filters is hard to find on-line.
When it comes right down to it, a person might be better off constructing their own filtration system using the big packs of aquarium (activated) charcoal and fiber filter.

Does the Sawyer filter remove taste, chemicals and heavy metals from water?
Taste

The Sawyer filter removes taste that comes from bacteria, dirt, and green matter.
Chemicals

The Sawyer filter does NOT remove iron, sulfur, other chemicals, or simple compounds. Taste can be masked by using flavor additives like Gatorade or crystal light (filter needs to be cleaned immediately after using them).
Heavy Metals

The Sawyer filters are not made with charcoal. While other portable filters have charcoal, they lack in amount of media and adequate dwell time. Therefore, they only remove small amounts of heavy metals, pesticides, etc. (when used in real life applications). Try using better sources of water, if possible.

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2017, 08:34:09 AM »
The Berkey has some very good test results for removal of chemical contamination (both organic and inorganic) as well as particulate removal. 

Fluoride - Removed to greater than 99.9%.
Viruses ? Removed to greater than 99.9%.
Pathogenic Bacteria - Removed to greater than 99.9%.
Lead - Removed to greater than 99.9%.
Arsenic - Removed to greater than 99.9%.
Iron - Removed to greater than 99.9%.
Mercury - Removed to greater than 99.9%.
Chlorine - Removed to greater than 99.9%.
Trihalomethane(THMs) ? Removed to greater than 99.8%.
Bisphenol-A - Removed to greater than 99.9%.
Chloramines - Removed to greater than 99.9%.
Pharmaceuticals - Removed to greater than 99.5%.
Petroleum Contaminants - Removed to greater than 99.9%.
Methylcycohexane-methane - Removed to greater than 99.9%.
Pesticides - Removed to greater than 99.9%.
Heavy Metals - Removed to greater than 99.1%.
Coliform and e-Coli - Removed to greater than 99.9%.
Atrazine - Removed to greater than 99.9%.
Uranium - Removed to greater than 97.0%.
Gross Alpha emitters - Removed to greater than 98.7%.

These are results from Berkey for the Black Berkey filter which is not the same as their ceramic filter.  Of course, now I can't find the Berkey test results I really wanted to link.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 09:18:57 AM by imnukensc »

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2017, 12:44:59 PM »
I don't have a link to the Sawyer info. It came with the filter and I never scanned it to a file.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2017, 01:38:26 PM »
Some brushing up on the effectiveness of different models has revealed the propur, all in one, is less effective than I believed. :-[

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2017, 02:17:34 PM »
The water filter makers seem to make it difficult to find the really important data and results of testing.  I spent 32 years where making potable water was one of my responsibilities, so a water filter maker's marketing hype of "Removes 99% of contaminants" doesn't quite cut the mustard for me.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2017, 02:24:37 PM »
The water filter makers seem to make it difficult to find the really important data and results of testing.  I spent 32 years where making potable water was one of my responsibilities, so a water filter maker's marketing hype of "Removes 99% of contaminants" doesn't quite cut the mustard for me.
:thumbsup: :cheers:

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone