Author Topic: how your firewood pile?  (Read 252 times)

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
how your firewood pile?
« on: January 30, 2017, 10:24:26 PM »
As for my pile' we'll make thru the winter but no reserve for later this year.
so i've decided to start harvesting all the fallen branches i can scrounge out of the
grove.
every little bit helps. this year off and on it's wood chopp'n time.
where we live running out of wood for heat is not a pleasant thing.
you can never have enough firewood, i say, you never know just how
bad a winter you'll get.

Offline gizamo

• Whetstone +
Re: how your firewood pile?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 02:38:30 AM »
I keep two years worth.  I cut it log length and use about 4 cords a year. In addition I use 40 grain bags of block hardwood from a dowel mill. That feeds the kitchen wood cookstove. We have oil heat. Use about 50 gallons of that a year.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
Re: how your firewood pile?
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 03:07:23 AM »
I can only speak in past tense. I've always been a bit lazy. If it was warm enough to keep one's fingers fine it was warm enough. A good downy blanket, a pair of thick, moc sole, woolen socks, kerchief and cap...

The city is not that far away, electric heat is cheap. The desire to leave those comforts behind and embrace sacrifices necessary to live a "rural" lifestyle sorta negates these questions on some levels. Imho get, make a good blanket, save your wood for nifty spoon carvings.

Funny to me because I was working far away from home one winter. We ran out of propane and money, so over the phone I advised my wife to go get some wood out of my shop to burn until I got home...
    At the time I never imagined the most appealing pieces to her would be my figured english hare wood.